ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa State vs Iowa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iowa is a good team. They have a great formula for winning. It is not pretty but they have worked it to perfection so far. They play great defense. They take care of the the ball. They don’t care if they 3-0 or 34-6.
Iowa notoriously starts slow offensively and gets better as the season goes on. But even I am surprised at how good the defense has played so far. This is pretty much what there offense looked like the first two games of last season, but got it rolling the last 6, so we'll see, but Iowa will need that offense to improve if they want a shot at winning the West or the BiG. Good luck the Bearcats next week. ;)

Iowa is for real. I'm predicting they win the BIG.
It is possible. I don't see the need to drag them down like some were doing. If we got beat down I would prefer at the moment to believe we are about a 20 to 25 ranked team that got beat up by a Top 5 team when so many things were in their favor (home game, first game with fans in however long it was).

Jesus, there is a lot of butt hurt here. Maybe Iowa is a good team?

Still cheering for you guys the rest of the way.
Let’s say, hypothetically, Iowa goes undefeated in their B1G games. You’ll see everyone on here saying the other teams were overrated, or Iowa just caught them on a bad day.

It remains to be seen how good Iowa really is, and they may end up being a very good team, but people wanted to come here and take a shit on our players and coaches because of how bad we looked on the road against Iowa. Yes, we looked bad. Actually, really bad. But Iowa may be a really good team, and really good teams have a nasty habit of making other teams look really bad.

You know, it is hard for people to judge Iowa because they always seem to win ugly, which means the team they defeat looks ugly, so everyone goes away thinking Iowa isn't that good, and the defeated team isn't that good. I don't know if Iowa is a top 5 team, I know their defense is, however I think Indiana and ISU are better then people think, they just played in ugly games and came up short. Now, had Indiana and ISU won in ugly games, people would still be speculating whether either team was any good. Time will tell, but I think Indiana and ISU will both have good seasons, and if Iowa wins the west, both teams will have good losses on their bowl resume's.

Last edited:
I bet on them, too. And now Iowa is ranked #5. But all the experts here are saying how much they suck, lol.
Perfect. Keep driving the prices down. I'm taking them again this week against Kent State. Free 5% on the ML.

Last edited:
I've watched every KF game of his career and this may be the best defense they've had. I thought game 1 was a bit of an anomaly, but four turnovers including another touchdown the following week isn't by accident. They can play.
A defense that scores points and or takes the ball away can help a struggling offense until the offense gets it going.

I've watched every KF game of his career and this may be the best defense they've had. I thought game 1 was a bit of an anomaly, but four turnovers including another touchdown the following week isn't by accident. They can play.
But you also have to understand how fortuitous the Iowa defense has been thus far. Their TO margin and defensive TD rate just isn't sustainable over the course of a 12-13 game season.

Against Indiana:
-1st INT tipped ball off receivers hands with Iowa DB being 5 yards behind him returned for TD
-2nd INT mix up on route between QB/WR good play by DB to jump route also returned for TD
-3rd INT QB throws ball to RB not even looking or anticipating a pas who is blocking the defender down the field

Against Iowa State
-1st INT jump ball at midfield on a poorly underthrown ball (should have been negated as there was defensive holding prior to the pass being thrown)
-Scoop and score inside opponents 10 yard line; good play by DB to punch the ball out
-2nd INT another tipped ball on a crossing route that went right through the receivers hands to an Iowa defender 5 yards behind the play
-3rd INT another tipped ball at the LOS again right into the hands of an Iowa DB

I don't think anybody has accused Iowa of not having a very fast flowing and aggressive defense so far, but they've also been just as lucky as good. Iowa's defense will keep Iowa in every game they play this year because it is a very good unit on top of being well-coached, but the rate they have been going just isn't sustainable.

But you also have to understand how fortuitous the Iowa defense has been thus far. Their TO margin and defensive TD rate just isn't sustainable over the course of a 12-13 game season.

Against Indiana:
-1st INT tipped ball off receivers hands with Iowa DB being 5 yards behind him returned for TD
-2nd INT mix up on route between QB/WR good play by DB to jump route also returned for TD
-3rd INT QB throws ball to RB not even looking or anticipating a pas who is blocking the defender down the field

Against Iowa State
-1st INT jump ball at midfield on a poorly underthrown ball (should have been negated as there was defensive holding prior to the pass being thrown)
-Scoop and score inside opponents 10 yard line; good play by DB to punch the ball out
-2nd INT another tipped ball on a crossing route that went right through the receivers hands to an Iowa defender 5 yards behind the play
-3rd INT another tipped ball at the LOS again right into the hands of an Iowa DB

I don't think anybody has accused Iowa of not having a very fast flowing and aggressive defense so far, but they've also been just as lucky as good. Iowa's defense will keep Iowa in every game they play this year because it is a very good unit on top of being well-coached, but the rate they have been going just isn't sustainable.
In most cases, you would be right regarding a team being lucky to have so many turnovers go their way in the first two games of the season. Just doesn't usually happen but in Iowa's case, they lead the nation with 70 interceptions since the beginning of the 2017 season. Might not happen every game this season for the Hawkeyes but I doubt all the opposing teams will be able to stop it from happening. Good luck to the Hoosiers moving forward and maybe we can meet again at the BIG Championship.

Reactions: Hoosiers Rising
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT