ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa @ IU, Game 2: Colopy's two-run homer in 10th gives IU 2-0 win...

ptrich

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
RHP Luke Sinnard is on the mound with an ERA of 4.26 in 38 IP. Serruto is behind the plate and Mathison is the DH again. Coach Mercer said that Ellis is dealing with a hand injury and is unavailable. This game is on the BTN.

LHP Marcus Morgan is on the mound for Iowa with an ERA of 6.96 in 22 IP.

It's 52 degrees at game time and the wind is 10 to 15 mph.

T1st:

Sinnard put them down in order which included two K's.

B1st:

IU goes down in order which also included two K's.

IU 0 Iowa 0

Last edited:
2nd Inning:

T2nd:

It's the 4-6 hitters up for Iowa. Sinnard put them down in order again which included another K.

B2nd:

It's also the 4-6 hitters up for IU and they go down in order again.

IU 0 Iowa 0

This is the most disgusting start of Mercer's tenure on offense. This man is a hitting coach and his batters are getting befuddled and swinging at ball four against a guy who has been hit hard by absolutely everyone. Reminds me of end of 2021 where one mediocre pitcher after another had a career day against IU.

To bad we are going to waste an excellent start by Sinnard. When are you people going to realize we have a terrible coach who is not teaching baseball properly? When everyone else is killing a pitcher and your team is getting embarrassed by him you have the WRONG guy in charge.

I thought the offensive struggles were because of the pitchers they were facing but today is showing our alleged hitting genius coach is really bad at teaching his specialty.

3rd Inning:

T3rd:

It's the bottom of the order is up and Sinnard put them down in order again which included two more Ks.

B3rd:

It's the bottom of the order up for IU. IU went down in order again and IU is making a pitcher with an ERA of just under 7.00 going into the game, look like the reincarnation of Cy Young.

IU 0 Iowa 0

Last edited:
I rest my case. Fourth time team has swung at ball four against a terrible pitcher. Get our alleged hitting genius Mercer out of his job or we can say hello to the Bob Morgan days again which were not a lot of fun. Its already starting to creep in.

3rd Inning:

T3rd:

It's the bottom of the order is up and Sinnard put them down in order again which included two more Ks.

B3rd:

It's the bottom of the order up for IU. IU went down in order again and IU is making a pitcher with an ERA of just under 7.00 going into the game, look like the reincarnation of Cy Young.
That's what happens when you have a terrible coach. Period. Your team figures out a way to struggle against a guy no one else does and it's not the first time in his tenure offense has hit a funk against bad arms. Mercer is an alleged hitting guy but his tenure far to often has seen bad pitchers look like Cy Young against his team as you said.

Hope IU makes a change in leadership or we can enjoy years of the Bob Morgan tenure again in a nicer park. Like I said Glass made some really good hires, but at the end of his tenure Archie and Mercer hires killed both programs and taints what could have been an absolute legacy.

Not bad hires and looked good at time but he left Dolson a mess to fix in two programs that simply are not working out.

4th Inning:

T4th:

It's the top of the order up. Sinnard got the leadoff hitter on a K. The next hitter got a little blooper single to put the first base runner of the game on.

He then got the next batter on a K for two outs with the runner still at 1st. Sinnard then got another K to retire the side and Sinnard already has 8 strikeouts on the game.

B4th:

With the top of the order up, Glasser singled for IU's first hit.

Whalen grounded out and Taylor hit a ball to the deepest part of the park and was caught at the wall with Glasser moving to 3rd with two outs.

Tibbitts walked to put runners on the corners with two outs and Mathison up.

Mathison walked to load the bases for Pyne with two outs.

Pyne flied out to end the inning and leave the bases loaded.

IU 0 Iowa 0

That is how you approach a bad pitcher. Didn't score but were patient did not swing at his outside pitches took walks and made good contact that unfortunately were caught.

If they had decided to do that first the three innings we would have long chased him and be ahead. Come up with a better game plan Mr. Incompetent Mercer and maybe we are not befuddled by a terrible pitcher at the get go.

5th Inning:

T5th:

It's the 5 thru 7 hitters up. Sinnard got a GO for the first out. Sinnard then hit a batter to put a man on and one out.

A hitter reached on a close play at 1st for an infield hit and runners are at 1st and 2nd and one out.

The runner on 2nd stole 3rd to put runners on the corners with one out.

Sinnard then got a big K for the 2nd out, his 9th of the game, and it's the No. 9 hitter up.

A ground out retired the side and IU returned the favor by stranding a runner in scoring position.

B5th:

It's the bottom of the order up. Jessee K'd to lead off. A ground out and another K ended the inning.

IU 0 Iowa 0

Well back to our horrific approach again swinging at ball four twice and making soft contact for an out with a horrid first pitch. This guy has gone five innings for first time this season and looked great. Mercer needs to go after this game.

You cannot hire a hitting guy that a dozen times in his tenure sees bad pitchers have a career game against you.

We are throwing away Sinnard's best start of the season. Fire Mercer NOW!

6th Inning:

T6th:

It's the top of the order up for Iowa. Sinnard got the leadoff hitter for his 10th K of the game.

Kraft was warming up in the bullpen. Sinnard then gets his 11th K for the 2nd out.

Sinnard then gave up a two-out double. Sinnard then got his 12th K to retire the side.

B6th:

It's the top of the order up and so far, IU has wasted an outstanding pitching performance by Sinnard by not doing much at the plate.

Iowa goes to the bullpen and brings in RHP Zach Voelker with an ERA of 4.45 in 28.1 IP.

Glasser went down looking for a K. Whalen then walked on a 3-1 count to put a runner on with one out.

A DP ended the inning. Bears are coming out of hibernation, but our hitting has gone into hibernation starting with that Indiana State game.

IU 0 Iowa 0

6th Inning:

T6th:

It's the top of the order up for Iowa. Sinnard got the leadoff hitter for his 10th K of the game.

Kraft was warming up in the bullpen. Sinnard then gets his 11th K for the 2nd out.

Sinnard then gave up a two-out double. Sinnard then got his 12th K to retire the side.

B6th:

It's the top of the order up and so far, IU has wasted an outstanding pitching performance by Sinnard by not doing much at the plate.

Iowa goes to the bullpen and brings in RHP Zach Voelker with an ERA of 4.45 in 28.1 IP.

Glasser went down looking for a K. Whalen then walked on a 3-1 count to put a runner on with one out.

A DP ended the inning. Bears are coming out of hibernation, but our hitting has gone into hibernation starting with that Indiana State game.

IU 0 Iowa 0
That is where you are wrong. It started with first Penn State game except for one pitcher Sunday and second game of doubleheader. It's been five of six games now and at times throughout Mercer's tenure. Mr. hitting guy can't build a consistent offense and needs to go.

That is where you are wrong. It started with first Penn State game except for one pitcher Sunday and second game of doubleheader. It's been five of six games now and at times throughout Mercer's tenure. Mr. hitting guy can't build a consistent offense and needs to go.
I would have to go back and revisit that series, but I don't recall it being as bad as it's been since the ISU game.

7th Inning:

T7th:

Sinnard's day is over after an outstanding performance where he had 12 strikeouts. LHP Ryan Kraft comes in with an ERA of 1.04 in 26 IP. It's the 5-7 hitters up for Iowa.

Kraft gets the leadoff hitter on a K. Kraft then walked a man on four pitches and it's the first walk given up by IU today.

Kraft then picked the runner off 1st for the 2nd out to erase the walk. Kraft then K'd the next batter to retire the side.

B7th:

It's the 4-6 hitters up for IU. Tibbitts leads off with a K. A routine fly by Mathison results in out No. 2.

Pyne flied out and IU has now scored just one run over the last 25 innings as this inning has ended.

IU 0 Iowa 0

I would have to go back and revisit that series, but I don't recall it being as bad as it's been since the ISU game.
Not as bad but definitely not good. How many times in Mercer's tenure is his offense going to go in a funk in a season and cost us the postseason before you realize we have the wrong guy in charge? Happened in 2019 early but did enough late with Lemonis' players to win Big Ten. 2021 offense went in funk late costing postseason. Last year was in a funk early but hardly mattered with how bad team was. Now with another Big Ten title and postseason at stake offense stops hitting again.

The problem is when his offense struggles it really struggles to the tune of shutouts or maybe one run multiple games in a row no matter how bad the pitchers they face are. Mercer is a hitting guy and for this to keep happening in his tenure multiple times for multiple games with a really good offense shows he is not doing something right.

Would like to get back to 2010's of making postseason or being close every year and will not happen with Mercer in charge. To many flaws in his managing style.

8th Inning:

T8th:

It's the 8 thru 1 hitters up for Iowa and Kraft K'd the leadoff hitter. For the second straight inning, Kraft walked the 2nd batter up in the inning and it was the No. 9 hitter with the top of the order up.

A single thru the right side put runners on 1st and 2nd with one out. The single was by a pinch hitter who got his first hit of the season.

A FC put runners on the corners with two outs and the dangerous No. 3 hitter was up who already had a double, although it's a lefty/lefty situation.

Kraft gets a groundout to retire the side and leave a runner in scoring position.

B8th:

It's the bottom of the order up for IU. Colopy led off and he came into the game at the top of the inning as a defensive replacement in RF with Taylor moving to LF.

Colopy flied out and Cerny popped out to 2B for two outs. Another routine flyout ends another scoreless inning for IU.

IU 0 Iowa 0

The hitters have zero confidence at this point. They will get out of it at some point but by then you may have blown up your Big Ten title chances and going to a Regional. This hitting funk of 5-10 games every season happens and with exception of 2019 it is doing major damage to the momentum of this program. When it happens multiple times with different teams you teaching offense wrong. Period.

9th Inning:

T9th:

It's the 4 thru 6 hitters up for Iowa. Iowa has outhit IU 4 to 1 so far. Kraft put them down in order.

B9th:

It's the top of the order up and IU's big chance to end this game.

In a big break for IU, outfielders ran into each other on a fly hit by Glasser which dropped for a leadoff error with Glasser on 2nd.

Whalen got down a bad bunt which didn't move Glasser to 3rd with Whalen out at 1st. Iowa intentionally walked Taylor and then a horrible call at 1st gave Iowa a DP on a ball hit by Tibbitts and IU left a runner in scoring position to end the inning and put it in extra innings.

IU 0 Iowa 0

10th Inning:

T10th:

It's the bottom of the order up for Iowa and Kraft K'd the leadoff hitter.

A single put a runner on with one out.

On a double to LF, the runner on 1st attempted to take home and he was thrown out at the plate in a close play for the 2nd out with a runner at 2nd.

Kraft got a K to retire the side and IU dodged a bullet in this inning.

B10th:

IU has the 5-7 hitters up with Mathison leading off.

Mathison singled to put a runner on with no outs. Pyne then popped up and IU has not done a good job of moving along what few runners they have had.

Colopy who has not hit the ball well this season and was hitting .184 and was a defensive replacement, hit a huge two-run homer that hit the foul pole in LF to give IU a shutout win. An unlikely hero in this game!!!

IU 2 Iowa 0 (Final)

9th Inning:

T9th:

It's the 4 thru 6 hitters up for Iowa. Iowa has outhit IU 4 to 1 so far. Kraft put them down in order.

B9th:

It's the top of the order up and IU's big chance to end this game.

In a big break for IU, outfielders ran into each other on a fly hit by Glasser which dropped for a leadoff error with Glasser on 2nd.

Whalen got down a bad bunt which didn't move Glasser to 3rd with Whalen out at 1st. Iowa intentionally walked Taylor and then a horrible call at 1st gave Iowa a DP on a ball hit by Tibbitts and IU left a runner in scoring position to end the inning and put it in extra innings.

IU 0 Iowa 0
Appreciate the updates, but anybody know why the Dude poster is not banned? How pathetic is this guy? Did IU not like his head coaching job resume?

What a win! Have to admit was thinking ugh when I saw due up mathison, colopy. Very happy for colopy who’s had rough go last two years after being a regular starter I think. Maybe build some mojo and share with guys struggling at plate like Whalen and Pyne?

This was a quick moving game with a lot of strikeouts and only a combined four pitchers used in the game by both teams. and it went just 2 hours and 18 minutes.

IU had just three hits on the game, and they had just one hit against the Iowa starter who entered the game as their worst starter from an ERA standpoint and he K'd 7 Hoosiers over 5 IP.

The only highlight for IU from the plate was Colopy's two-run homer to win it. Glasser and Mathison had the other two hits and they were singles.

Even though IU won the game on the homer, they are still in a hitting slump and have scored just three runs over the last 28 innings. Hopefully, this win jump starts the offense again.

IU did not commit an error, while Iowa had one error.

It's an absolute shame that Sinnard got a no-decision after pitching one of the best games if not the best game of the season so far for IU, and he left with 12 strikeouts. He and Kraft combined for 17 strikeouts on the game. Sinnard will be a candidate for B1G Pitcher of the Week despite the no-decision, but I guess you could say the same thing about Iowa's Brecht after yesterday's game. Here are the pitching numbers for IU. Kraft got the win.

Sinnard: 6 IP, 3 hits and no runs, 12 Ks, no BBs, 1 WP and 1 hit batter which had no effect on the game.

Kraft: 4 IP, 3 hits and no runs, 5 Ks, and 2 BBs with the rest of his slate clean.

Last edited:
Well back to our horrific approach again swinging at ball four twice and making soft contact for an out with a horrid first pitch. This guy has gone five innings for first time this season and looked great. Mercer needs to go after this game.

You cannot hire a hitting guy that a dozen times in his tenure sees bad pitchers have a career game against you.

We are throwing away Sinnard's best start of the season. Fire Mercer NOW!
I have never posted here before but your repetitive bitching has sucked me in. I get it, you think Mercer is terrible and you are a baseball genius. Point made now shut the hell up.

Glad they got that one and they can thank Sinnard for a career day. Anything less than the shutout and team loses. He has been good with five innings and 3-4 runs given up but today was great. Thankfully they got it but Mr. hitting guy Mercer has to stop with his teams getting into hitting slumps in multiple games every year. Its happened with different teams he has had here so I pin it on him.

Go for the series tomorrow and stop making it hard on yourself as a team.

Reactions: GolfHacker1
Reactions: 82IU
So happy for Morgan Colopy! I was told by a person very close to the team that he was probably the best overall athlete on the Baseball Team. He has struggled with injuries and I am tickled to see him get a couple of hits these last two games. Would love to see him and Ellis back in the saddle again!
Go Hoosiers!

I have never posted here before but your repetitive bitching has sucked me in. I get it, you think Mercer is terrible and you are a baseball genius. Point made now shut the hell up.

But did he really make a point? Dude just needs to find his car and forget about IU baseball.

Clutters up so many game threads. Wonder if it's big red buffalo's burner account?

Had to go to the ignore button.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT