ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Defense

Fred C. Dobbs

Freshman
Aug 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
The question: Why is Iowa's defense so mediocre? Kempom's adjusted defense ranking for Indiana is 16 (90.0), for Iowa is 90 (97.3). I'll offer 3 premises, but I'm curious regarding what others have observed.
  1. Fran McCaffery is trading defense for offense. I'm too lazy to look for the post, but I think a poster on this board (TMP maybe?) once described how Tom Crean made this trade. If you believe Fran is making this trade, reply with some details.
  2. Garza, Wieskamp, Frederick, McCaffery and Bohanon just aren't quick enough nor mobile enough to defend top, Power 5 talent.
  3. Neither McCaffery nor any one on his staff is capable of organizing a top, Power 5 defense. If you believe this coaching deficit is true, please provide some supporting data from McCaffery's coaching history.
I'm looking for more insight than I have now. Analysis rules! Trash talk is forbidden on this thread.

I offer that the reason IU played well against Iowa and not against Purdue is that Purdue (28, 92.0) defends and Iowa does not.

The question: Why is Iowa's defense so mediocre? Kempom's adjusted defense ranking for Indiana is 16 (90.0), for Iowa is 90 (97.3). I'll offer 3 premises, but I'm curious regarding what others have observed.
  1. Fran McCaffery is trading defense for offense. I'm too lazy to look for the post, but I think a poster on this board (TMP maybe?) once described how Tom Crean made this trade. If you believe Fran is making this trade, reply with some details.
  2. Garza, Wieskamp, Frederick, McCaffery and Bohanon just aren't quick enough nor mobile enough to defend top, Power 5 talent.
  3. Neither McCaffery nor any one on his staff is capable of organizing a top, Power 5 defense. If you believe this coaching deficit is true, please provide some supporting data from McCaffery's coaching history.
I'm looking for more insight than I have now. Analysis rules! Trash talk is forbidden on this thread.

I offer that the reason IU played well against Iowa and not against Purdue is that Purdue (28, 92.0) defends and Iowa does not.

Good observations, will try to provide some opinions.

1) Not sure trading offense for defense is the right concept, but both Fran and Crean’s offense operate on tempo and possessions. This kind of philosophy often leads to turnovers, bad shots, etc that in turn lead to easy opposition baskets hurting defensive numbers.

2) That’s a fair observation on Iowa’s players. Fran definitely recruits a specific skill over talent/athleticism. Archie in my opinion does the opposite. He recruits bigger/stronger athletes and places emphasis on defense. In a perfect world you need a steady combination of both. You need skilled shooters to space the floor, but also need to be able to defend.

3) Can’t really elaborate but Fran’s defenses, at least at Iowa, have been bad to generally awful.

Last edited:
My bet is your # 1 and #2 combined.
Regarding #3, I do not know their coaches' skill sets.

Good observations, will try to provide some opinions.

1) Not sure trading offense for defense is the right concept, but both Fran and Crean’s offense operate on tempo and possessions. This kind of philosophy often leads to turnovers, bad shots, etc that in turn lead to easy opposition baskets hurting defensive numbers.

2) That’s a fair observation on Iowa’s players. Fran definitely recruits a specific skill over talent/athleticism. Archie in my opinion does the opposite. He recruits bigger/stronger athletes and places emphasis on defense. In a perfect world you need a steady combination of both. You need skilled shooters to space the floor, but also need to be able to defend.

3) Can’t really elaborate but Fran’s defenses, at least at Iowa, have been bad to generally awful.
Where are these bigger, stronger athletes of which you speak? I'd be shocked if we're not the smallest roster in the B10, certainly in the frontcourt. I'd say he likes length, especially on the wing, but when I think of a big or strong team, I'm thinking of a team like WVU, FL, Baylor, UNC, Kansas, etc....

Where are these bigger, stronger athletes of which you speak? I'd be shocked if we're not the smallest roster in the B10, certainly in the frontcourt. I'd say he likes length, especially on the wing, but when I think of a big or strong team, I'm thinking of a team like WVU, FL, Baylor, UNC, Kansas, etc....

Not talking height, Race and Trayce more than hold their own on the interior and are bigger and stronger than your typical B10 forwards. Phinisee is built extremely well for his size as is Armaan and both are very good defenders. Not sure if you know anything about defending, especially interior, but it's more than simply being "tall". It's all about leverage and that comes from your leg and core strength.

Reactions: darkhawk returns

They're just woefully unathletic at almost every position starting with Garza.

Not talking height, Race and Trayce more than hold their own on the interior and are bigger and stronger than your typical B10 forwards. Phinisee is built extremely well for his size as is Armaan and both are very good defenders. Not sure if you know anything about defending, especially interior, but it's more than simply being "tall". It's all about leverage and that comes from your leg and core strength.
so you're talking bigger, stronger athletes, who aren't taller or heavier, but "stronger"? I think both TJD and Race hold their own and do well, but they're generally fighting an uphill battle on size, and it's a problem against truly big guys like Cockburn or Williams. I think CAM does put a premium on athleticism and defense, and while guys like Rob or Armaan, are solid for their position, they're not bigger or stronger than their counterparts at those positions, imo. I always prided myself on my defense and generally was undersized, especially in weight, so I think I understatnd a good bit about leverage, positioning, etc... But, you said he recruited bigger, stronger guys, and I don't think our roster reflects either.

They're just woefully unathletic at almost every position starting with Garza.
That freshman forward that came off the bench looked great and very athletic... Murray I think. I'd think he'll be earning more and more minutes and will be a starter and really good next year. He impressed me with his athleticism.

PS, and I still think you're wrong on Garza and the NBA. I think someone will find a spot for him. He's not athletic, but he's big enough that he won't get pushed around and with the way teams spread it out, I think he can carve a niche for himself with his ability to take guys 1 on 1 in the paint and step out to 3. Won't surprise me at all if he ends up with Pop in San Antonio, but I think someone will find a way to utilize his skillset. Be interesting to see.

so you're talking bigger, stronger athletes, who aren't taller or heavier, but "stronger"? I think both TJD and Race hold their own and do well, but they're generally fighting an uphill battle on size, and it's a problem against truly big guys like Cockburn or Williams. I think CAM does put a premium on athleticism and defense, and while guys like Rob or Armaan, are solid for their position, they're not bigger or stronger than their counterparts at those positions, imo. I always prided myself on my defense and generally was undersized, especially in weight, so I think I understatnd a good bit about leverage, positioning, etc... But, you said he recruited bigger, stronger guys, and I don't think our roster reflects either.

Ok Cockburn and Garza being the exceptions, but there aren't many 7 footers that size that move like either of those. On average, TJD and Race are both stronger than their frontcourt counterparts. Race is top 10 in defensive rtg in all the B10 players and TJD right behind him. Phinisee made Bohannon look like a child last night and would go as far as saying he's the best on-ball PG defender in the B10, teams don't drive him. Franklin has the best defensive rtg as any guard in the B10. He's a lot broader and stronger than you think.

Ok Cockburn and Garza being the exceptions, but there aren't many 7 footers that size that move like either of those. On average, TJD and Race are both stronger than their frontcourt counterparts. Race is top 10 in defensive rtg in all the B10 players and TJD right behind him. Phinisee made Bohannon look like a child last night and would go as far as saying he's the best on-ball PG defender in the B10, teams don't drive him. Franklin has the best defensive rtg as any guard in the B10. He's a lot broader and stronger than you think.
well, I thought last night took it to another level on D, but I think that's just commitment and smarts on the parts of the players. I don't think they got stronger last week, but certainly were more determined and confident. I think it's just a matter of focus and coaching. Archie is a defense first coach who preaches it and teaches it, and Crean nor Fran take that approach. I still don't buy that we're "bigger" or that Archie really even values that, as much as he does guys that will be committed to playing D and maybe are longer.

That freshman forward that came off the bench looked great and very athletic... Murray I think. I'd think he'll be earning more and more minutes and will be a starter and really good next year. He impressed me with his athleticism.

PS, and I still think you're wrong on Garza and the NBA. I think someone will find a spot for him. He's not athletic, but he's big enough that he won't get pushed around and with the way teams spread it out, I think he can carve a niche for himself with his ability to take guys 1 on 1 in the paint and step out to 3. Won't surprise me at all if he ends up with Pop in San Antonio, but I think someone will find a way to utilize his skillset. Be interesting to see.
Maybe but he won't last. Too bulky, waaaaaaaaaaaay too slow .. watch him run, there's grandmas with canes than could keep up.

Maybe but he won't last. Too bulky, waaaaaaaaaaaay too slow .. watch him run, there's grandmas with canes than could keep up.
He is slow, but what I see is effort and hustle getting down the court. I don't think he'll be a starter, but I think he's going to be in the league a good while. Good rebounder, good size, albeit slow, but there are still a lot of rim protectors at the 5 in the NBA. I like watching him play and will be rooting for him.

I thought it last year and have heard a couple commentators say it this year, but he reminds me of Tyler Hansborough but with much better size. Hansborough looked pretty small when he got to the league, but Garza won't.

He is slow, but what I see is effort and hustle getting down the court. I don't think he'll be a starter, but I think he's going to be in the league a good while. Good rebounder, good size, albeit slow, but there are still a lot of rim protectors at the 5 in the NBA. I like watching him play and will be rooting for him.

I thought it last year and have heard a couple commentators say it this year, but he reminds me of Tyler Hansborough but with much better size. Hansborough looked pretty small when he got to the league, but Garza won't.
He's not a rim protector... he can barely even jump.

Iowa has always been weak on defense under Fran.

They don't apply enough ball pressure to make offenses uncomfortable in the half-court, and they switch defenses alot, which means they aren't good at either one. We abused their zone last night, as they could not keep the ball out of the lane. When they went to man, TJD turned it into a foul-a-palooza because they don't have anyone that vould guard him.

Their token press serves almost no use. It chews up a little shot clock, but that doesn't help at all when you can't stay in front of people.

If they got Mike Davis as an assistant, they'd win the BIG. Fran is fortunate that "decent but with no chance of winning a national title" is good enough there.

As we saw with Crean, that style of ball is fun to watch for awhile, but you don't want to get married to it. It's the crazy redhead of basketball.

They can't. If they do they get drove on.

Suppose that explains why they sagged so much - rare of late to see IU given as much latitude to work the perimeter sans constant harassment. Even at that, IA couldn't/didn't seal entry passes into the key - helps that TJD can put it on the Floor and make good decisions far more often than not.

He's not a rim protector... he can barely even jump.
I didn't mean that he was a rim protector, but that there are a lot of 5s in the NBA that are there to rebound and defend, but aren't big offensive threats, so he won't be that much of a disadvantage guarding them. I don't think he'll be a starter, but with his size, shooting and effort, if he can sustain that, I think he'll carve out a 10 year career as a situational player.

Defense is much better with Thompson in the game than Hunter. Hunter does not rotate to stop the driver as well as Race. Also need to bump cutters , we let them cut to the ball to easily instead of staying between man and ball .

ADVERTISEMENT