ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting tweet

I know a lot of people like this kid's laid back demeanor but I honestly hope he plays with a little more fire and intensity. I watched that last possession from Saturday and it just bothers me. Your entire HS career is on the line and everybody just lets the kid drive the entire length of the court. Before I get scolded, Im not saying he is going to suck or IU should pass on him. I would just like to see a little more fire from him and more intensity on defense. Love to see the kid in candy stripes next year.

Crean coached with fire and intensity, how did that work out?

Two things:

1) I could be wrong, but my guess is Romeo was dead tired by that point of the game. He was getting by several WC players earlier in the game; on NA’s final possession (where he threw it over a teammate’s head) he couldn’t split the double team.

2) Not wanting to foul. It’s easy after the fact to say “let him drive the length of the court”, but what if you aggressively try to turn the kid and make contact? Then you catch grief for fouling.

Bottom line: WC’s Bell made a great play. Sometimes you just get beat when the other team does something good, rather than you doing something wrong.
Not taking anything away from Bell. I'm sure Romeo was dead tired but coming out of a TO. HS career on the line, his teammates could foul. They had a foul to give. Should have been a TO somewhere before Romeo threw the ball away. Just looked like entire defensive possession and the entire NA team was just very passive. Also, like I have said I am not putting all blame on Romeo and saying he is bad. I'm sure he will be great wherever he goes. Just really hate how those last few possessions went down.

Romeo held Bell to 7 points until the 4th quarter when Romeo picked up his 4th foul, then Bell scored 10 points in the quarter. This was on the coach, I will never understand why Shannon did't go back to the 2-3 zone after Rome picked up his 4th. The zone caused WC fits earlier in the game. As for his fire and defensive tenacity He held Barnes to 2 points (He is Floyd Centrals leading scorer) in the championship game of the sectional, and held Bell to 7 points until his 4th foul.

Or call a timeout when NA had the ball and WC continually double teamed Romeo for that matter.

The Langfords have kept things under wraps so well that I dont know anyone knows, except the Langfords...

I think the most "emotionless" player I can remember was Jay Edwards. I also recall someone asking Knight about it...how emotionless and seemingly lacking in energy Edwards was...Knight's response was hysterical...and in short it was (paraphrase) 'that kid is such a good athlete that you can't tell how hard he's working'...he also added (again a paraphrase) 'he works has hard as I tell him to work.'
Jeremy Hollowell and James Blackmon were never known for their angelic smiles on court, but I'll give you Edwards.

Not taking anything away from Bell. I'm sure Romeo was dead tired but coming out of a TO. HS career on the line, his teammates could foul. They had a foul to give. Should have been a TO somewhere before Romeo threw the ball away. Just looked like entire defensive possession and the entire NA team was just very passive. Also, like I have said I am not putting all blame on Romeo and saying he is bad. I'm sure he will be great wherever he goes. Just really hate how those last few possessions went down.
They were tied, right? How many times have I seen teams start to calculate for overtime and lose on a final shot.

Is this from the Michigan game next year? Will Romeo wear #3? Lol

Then the Illinois game (minus the ending of course).

Jay did things like that all year long. Was incredible, amazing, sensational in the clutch (other than missing some free throws at Illinois).

My favorite season personally.
I never noticed how late his Michigan shot was. It looked like it came after the click expired.

I know a lot of people like this kid's laid back demeanor but I honestly hope he plays with a little more fire and intensity. I watched that last possession from Saturday and it just bothers me. Your entire HS career is on the line and everybody just lets the kid drive the entire length of the court. Before I get scolded, Im not saying he is going to suck or IU should pass on him. I would just like to see a little more fire from him and more intensity on defense. Love to see the kid in candy stripes next year.
I was thinking the exact same thing as I watched the last play.
I was afraid to say anything negative in fear of the unrelenting retaliation

Reactions: BigNutsIUFan
I never noticed how late his Michigan shot was. It looked like it came after the click expired.
I paused the video with "0:00" on the inset clock and the ball was still in his hands. But, I cannot pause it for the audio and the sound of the final horn. Back then we did not have the red lights behind the backboard and there was no video review procedure. Probably should not have counted, but that's just the way it goes. I recall UNC Charlotte winning a game in AH when the half-court shot was late but officials counted it as good.

Not fouling with a foul to give is on the coach.....not the players. The 4th quarter of that game wasn't Jim Shannon's finest hour.

I paused the video with "0:00" on the inset clock and the ball was still in his hands. But, I cannot pause it for the audio and the sound of the final horn. Back then we did not have the red lights behind the backboard and there was no video review procedure. Probably should not have counted, but that's just the way it goes. I recall UNC Charlotte winning a game in AH when the half-court shot was late but officials counted it as good.
It was good by the sound of the horn. They didnt have the lights on the backboard nor the tenths of a second either I believe. You are right about the UNC Charlotte game though. I think there was like .7 seconds left and the guy catches the ball takes one dribble turns around and fires it. I think the clock person started it late and therefore they had to count it by the clock. We were a bubble team that year and not sure if that would have made any difference in getting in.

Those were the days!
I've always wondered what if Jay Edwards had stayed 4 years? Was he the best college player Knight would ever have? IT was destined for greater things in the pros but Edwards in college was so smooth. Maybe it was just time in life but that team his soph yr was my favorite to watch. Imagine him with the talent that followed with 2 yrs left? Hopefully at least with the new being able to declare and get input and return would have helped him make a better decision

Reactions: HoosierInOhio7
I've always wondered what if Jay Edwards had stayed 4 years? Was he the best college player Knight would ever have? IT was destined for greater things in the pros but Edwards in college was so smooth. Maybe it was just time in life but that team his soph yr was my favorite to watch. Imagine him with the talent that followed with 2 yrs left? Hopefully at least with the new being able to declare and get input and return would have helped him make a better decision
His personal habits would’ve needed to change dramatically for him to remain at IU after his sophomore year.

His personal habits would’ve needed to change dramatically for him to remain at IU after his sophomore year.
That is true as well , amazing the in state talent in that era though . I went to HS with Shawn Kemp..... I was a sr his frosh yr and remember Bobby being at school one night after hrs saw him down the hall. We made the finals 2 years after he graduated and lost to Damon Bailey it was incredible the amount of in state players, but I do think Jay could have had the best college carreer of all of them , College

ADVERTISEMENT