ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting tweet about IU WBB

To be clear, a lot of this is about mental illness in college athletics which needs to be discussed more. But much of it also came back to IU WBB specifically, it would seem

To be clear, a lot of this is about mental illness in college athletics which needs to be discussed more. But much of it also came back to IU WBB specifically, it would seem
Kids need to find the right fit. And I know that's easier said then done, but doing so eliminates the anxiety and stress that attend playing college ball. Whether that's dropping down to D2 or whatever. I also think that's why it's so important not to punish kids when they want to transfer. Let them go where they'll be happy without punishment of sitting out etc.

Kids need to find the right fit. And I know that's easier said then done, but doing so eliminates the anxiety and stress that attend playing college ball. Whether that's dropping down to D2 or whatever. I also think that's why it's so important not to punish kids when they want to transfer. Let them go where they'll be happy without punishment of sitting out etc.

Completely agree, but most of the replies were from former players speaking on how "toxic" the culture was/is (?). No clue on the details obviously, but there were some interesting takes.

Yes, I read that also and it made me very uncomfortable. We finally get a winning program and it was very disappointing to see some of the remarks. Everyone looks so close during the games. Even Bendu commented.

Completely agree, but most of the replies were from former players speaking on how "toxic" the culture was/is (?). No clue on the details obviously, but there were some interesting takes.

That program gets on its feet and finally starts winning and now the former players are going to help tear it right back down.

Indiana athletics is a damn joke. Hey ladies, students go through ups and downs at school. I did too. It doesn't make the environment toxic, it means that life is happening to you at a time when you are finishing your development and for the first time in many people's lives, it is happening when you are removed (to some degree) from the support system you knew for 18 years. Yeah, let's get it out there and deal with things, but my lord, it feels like everyone these days has to put out there that they are a victim of some thing or another. It is like a badge of honor for some reason.

I also hate Twitter innuendo, if there is something terrible going on in the program, spill it, so we can deal with the wrongdoers. And for some people, any criticism is seen by them as being "run down" by the coaching staff. One of the uncomfortable truths about coaching is that it often involves pointing out what you are not good at and finding a way to get you better at that thing.

And let's be real here, what Moren is doing is working. There is a certain amount of "dick" that goes into sports. Can anyone watch that Jordan special and not say, man, that guy is a dick...but being that way pushed his teammates too.

Last edited:
Yes, I read that also and it made me very uncomfortable. We finally get a winning program and it was very disappointing to see some of the remarks. Everyone looks so close during the games. Even Bendu commented.
I didn't see much there. Yeah, things didn't work out for some of them, and maybe Terri isn't as sympathetic as they wanted her to be -- I get the impression she's tough and holds people accountable. But talking about life's disappointments as mental health concerns? Gimme a break.

I didn't see much there. Yeah, things didn't work out for some of them, and maybe Terri isn't as sympathetic as they wanted her to be -- I get the impression she's tough and holds people accountable. But talking about life's disappointments as mental health concerns? Gimme a break.

Life's disappointments? That's what you took from that? Yikes

Reactions: limestonecowboy
I have followed Teri Moren's career at three schools. This is the first time anything like this has been mentioned. She has had tremendous respect from colleagues everywhere. I think the atmosphere is changing in life and in college athletics. If people do not get immediate positive outcomes, they look to blame. We used to say "suck it up." Ask Tyra and "B" if there is anything to this. All the women who transferred at IU were people who were looking at less playing time because better people were coming in or they were just not athletically good enough to command the time they wanted. Snowflake phenomenon is not dead, yet.

Reactions: ams66 and kmathum
Life's disappointments? That's what you took from that? Yikes
Once they were injured and couldn't play, they weren't getting the attention they wanted. That's what I read into the posts. If there's more to it than that, I'm all ears.

Reactions: channi
I am glad to hear, and hope it is true, that Moren does not have a track record. I was worried when we had those transfer this year.
We all, any age, have ups and downs. Players, perhaps more than their counterparts, are more stressed balancing sports and life.

I remember we knew nothing about Kevin Wilson until multiple players came forward. Wish I knew more. I followed the ladies quit closely last year and have high hopes for next year.

I remember we knew nothing about Kevin Wilson until multiple players came forward. Wish I knew more. I followed the ladies quit closely last year and have high hopes for next year.

I am going to be blunt and this is one of those things that may not be fair, may be unfortunate, but it is reality. College athletes are commodities. This is particularly true at large D1 universities. They are there because the school is putting down big money behind them in order to advertise the school. I believe the young lady who started that thread is from Texas, my guess is IU was footing her school bill and living expenses to the tune of $30k to $40k a year (I cannot recall whether her scholarship "pays" the school out of state tuition). In return for that "pay" the school expects a certain level of ability and output for that investment. The only way to remove a bit of the cutthroat out of the equation is to do away with athletic scholarships. That would eventually dry up the money to the schools as many of the players would go semi-pro. Let's be real, many D1 kids are in school only because of their ability to play their sport.

Now I am going to be even more blunt, if you are not playing football or men's basketball, and are not at one of the schools elite at your sport (think IU Soccer, UConn women's b-ball, etc.) chances are you are costing your school money. They use you for "pride" and you the athlete use them for a free ride on what usually is a pretty expensive education. If there was no Title IX and schools went to a strictly business guided model, most of the other sports would become club sports.

Reactions: channi
I am going to be blunt and this is one of those things that may not be fair, may be unfortunate, but it is reality. College athletes are commodities. This is particularly true at large D1 universities. They are there because the school is putting down big money behind them in order to advertise the school. I believe the young lady who started that thread is from Texas, my guess is IU was footing her school bill and living expenses to the tune of $30k to $40k a year (I cannot recall whether her scholarship "pays" the school out of state tuition). In return for that "pay" the school expects a certain level of ability and output for that investment. The only way to remove a bit of the cutthroat out of the equation is to do away with athletic scholarships. That would eventually dry up the money to the schools as many of the players would go semi-pro. Let's be real, many D1 kids are in school only because of their ability to play their sport.

Now I am going to be even more blunt, if you are not playing football or men's basketball, and are not at one of the schools elite at your sport (think IU Soccer, UConn women's b-ball, etc.) chances are you are costing your school money. They use you for "pride" and you the athlete use them for a free ride on what usually is a pretty expensive education. If there was no Title IX and schools went to a strictly business guided model, most of the other sports would become club sports.
If there’s no college football this year it’ll be very interesting to see what happens to all of the left-handed sports.

If there’s no college football this year it’ll be very interesting to see what happens to all of the left-handed sports.
I had not thought about that. Men’s football and basketball support the other sports. With that gone, and what if the schools lose dorm money and or food, money will be tight for non revenue sports.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

I agree with your post but not sure what it means regarding my post.
I meant to say “what if “ there is smoke and fire. I do not want to become Mich State and conceal. Hopefully this is just smoke. Should Mrs. Moren make a statement?

This is ridiculous. I have met Teri Moren. She’s an extremely nice lady. I’m sure she’s hard on her players but so was Bob Knight. Most good coaches are demanding. I doubt she’s really doing anything underhanded here.

Reactions: kmathum and channi
But this is another reason I wanted Pat Kraft as they AD. He would be unbiased with these coaches. I would be suprised if Dolson fires a coach within the next 5 seasons. These people are all his friends and that’s why he has the job.

Based on what? Tweets? Twitter is a social popularity contest, and "toxic culture" is a hashtag that gains a lot of attention from the victimhood crowd.

Reactions: IUCrazy2
I can without a doubt tell you from first-hand knowledge she had many many unhappy players at UIndy
I was very close to the program at UIndy. She had some unhappy players. She had many more happy players. She also had an AD and a president that would have intervened if anything had been going on.

I agree with your post but not sure what it means regarding my post.
I meant to say “what if “ there is smoke and fire. I do not want to become Mich State and conceal. Hopefully this is just smoke. Should Mrs. Moren make a statement?

Sorry, sometimes something people say in their posts will flick a switch on in my mind and I just start going with it. Yours probably made me think of a point so it was the one I hit reply to.

Is it snowing out?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT