ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting takes on the Big Ten. Is Iowa the best team in the league? Should Penix get benched?

Ya, that east is one scary division, last year Iowa took MSU to the woodshed in Kinnick, beat PSU by 20 in Happy Valley, then took IU to the woodshed in Kinnick.... Big boy division. LOL

You fine iowans got your fifteen minutes...move along, the hogs are hungry.

Reactions: IUgradman
I too was very disappointed with MP's performance on Saturday. The main issues have been pointed out repeatedly within this thread. However, there is one thing I've considered but have not seen discussed much. I think Whop was one of MP's primary targets (particularly on 3rd down) the past few years. Obviously Fry is awesome but when Fry draws the top defender on D, Whop seemed to always be there. Penix had a terrible day Saturday but under extreme pressure, no doubt he missed the reliability of Whop. No excuse . . . just an observation.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Someday IU football might get their 15 minutes, keep up the faith.
We'll keep the faith for our football team to get its 15 minutes, you keep the faith that the Hawkeyes might actually break the so far 22 year streak and make it past the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament sometime in the future. Longshot, but you keep your hopes up

Last edited:
We'll keep the faith for our football team to get its 15 minutes, you keep the faith that the Hawkeyes might actually break the so far 22 year streak and make it past the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament sometime in the future. Longshot, but you keep your hopes up
Now you sound like a Nebraska fan pounding your chest about how you used to be good a half a century ago.

• Wow
Reactions: EarlTubbs
I see old Earl Tubby is still here. Wonder how he feels about that field he continues to defend coming up in chunks so badly last Sat?

Reactions: Indinia Hoosiers
Thanks to the many folks who finally read the article after it was ignored for two or three days. I knew that it would bring a big reaction. I lived and worked and coached basketball in Cleveland for 31 years and had to put up with the OSU bias for most of those years. (1969-2000). I did love my days in Ohio and the career that I had but I still have a distaste in my mouth for the great success that OSU has had in football. I have put up with that for a lot of years and it was just nice to read an Ohioan say that somebody, other than OSU, was the best team in the Big Ten. And no, Penix should not be benched. I too view the Cincinnati game as the key to the season. If that does not work out, oh well, here we go again.

Nothing is an "auto loss" but the chance of iowa beating psu is remote at best. Then who knows what Mich does this year and Iu could turn it around. Neb is down for sure. Third is best case and it could get worse. Big boy division.

lol. You sound like a sore loser. Enjoy your sour grapes. Chance of Iowa beating psu is remote, at best? Give me a break.

Indiana would finish 3rd at best in the west. Already got curb stomped by Iowa. Zero chance of beating Wisconsin and a small chance at beating Minnesota.

Last edited:
I agree there are a lot of overreactions After week 1, but mine is about the league in general. I agree with @oldcougar77.

The B1G decisions to play 9 and also have big games week 1 with no tune-ups hurt the league.

We have less national buzz about the league, for a shorter time, and gave media reasons to ignore IU, Wisconsin and Minny - 3 big stories from last year.

I would have loved to play Iowa later, after we worked out kinks.

Its one game people, yikes. Ohio State lost to mediocre Purdue by 29pts in 2018 and that ended up being their only loss of the season. Went on to win the Rose Bowl. We lost by 30 to a good Iowa team on the road. The difference is it was in the middle of their season and this was our first game so we haven't seen anything that could offset that blow.

I get that it was incredibly disappointing and unexpected with the level of talent/depth on the roster but days like that can and do happen to anyone. Take a deep breath and give it time. This team is still who we thought they were.....but they're no better than any other good team that can take a bad L.

Bold move bringing basketball into the equation for a school that hasn’t played in the tournament since Obama was in office.

Starting to beat a dead horse but I think Iowa's 34-6 win was more an indictment on IU's lack of preparedness/just downright awful and uninspiring performance than it is Iowa being a legitimate CFB playoff contender. Iowa left a ton to be desired offensively and IU played about as poorly as possible. Beat a good Iowa State team on the road next week and then we can start to have that discussion.

Penix deserves more than a half before there is serious discussion about a QB change, but IU's defense is too good and there's too much at stake this season to continue to ride a QB with accuracy and turnover issues if the problem continues to persist. I expect a bounce back game against Idaho with a full boat of confidence heading into the showdown with Cincy.
Iowa is a playoff contender only in the technical sense that anyone in a Power conference that is undefeated is a contender. Iowa appears to be good. They have many weaknesses and most Iowa fans would be very pleased with a division title and shot at the Buckeyes, but know that at minimum, a loss or 2 is happening this season barring a miracle.

My personal opinion from an outsider is that Indiana just wasn't ready for a game like last Saturday. Good (not great) opponent with a history of winning, large enthused crowd, a coach and culture that is going to come out and punch you in the mouth and see how the opponent responds. Indiana wasn't ready, at all.

Lol. Love how you gloss over his performance at Ohio State, and Pro Football Focus's detailed, statistical analysis.

It sounds like you want him benched!

If you want the last word (and I know you do), have at it. I'm done with your nonsensical comments.
As you know I have been skeptical about PFF. So I decided to do some research on my own.
Was a company started in the UK. A hotbed of American football.
started by a stats guy from MIT. Not a football coach.
According to the analytics community as possibly being biased and subjective. Based on opinion not not quantitative.
positives
Their scouting is used by all 32 nfl teams and 75% of ncaa.
Their tendency charts are used by nfl and ncaa.
I do not see where player evaluations or player group evaluations are used by teams. Does not mean it doesn’t happen but I do question their ability to evaluate such things without knowing play calls schemes and other such things.

As you know I have been skeptical about PFF. So I decided to do some research on my own.
Was a company started in the UK. A hotbed of American football.
started by a stats guy from MIT. Not a football coach.
According to the analytics community as possibly being biased and subjective. Based on opinion not not quantitative.
positives
Their scouting is used by all 32 nfl teams and 75% of ncaa.
Their tendency charts are used by nfl and ncaa.
I do not see where player evaluations or player group evaluations are used by teams. Does not mean it doesn’t happen but I do question their ability to evaluate such things without knowing play calls schemes and other such things.
Google "PFF" and then click on "News." You'll immediately see how widely cited and respected PFF is.

But, as I've said before, it's not just stats and analytics that speak to our poor OL play. The head coach himself has repeatedly acknowledged it.

Google "PFF" and then click on "News." You'll immediately see how widely cited and respected PFF is.

But, as I've said before, it's not just stats and analytics that speak to our poor OL play. The head coach himself has repeatedly acknowledged it.
I have done that and as noted their scouting and and tendency breakdowns are highly regarded. Their evaluations are highly questioned. There is a big difference between the two.
Also not saying that the oline does not need to need to improve because it definitely does. Especially after this weekend. But my thing that I have argued about last years pass protection was not as bad as PFF made it out to be. I base mine opinion on the amount of sacks they surrendered last year. Again it is it is not the only thing that is important but it is very important.

I have done that and as noted their scouting and and tendency breakdowns are highly regarded. Their evaluations are highly questioned. There is a big difference between the two.
Also not saying that the oline does not need to need to improve because it definitely does. Especially after this weekend. But my thing that I have argued about last years pass protection was not as bad as PFF made it out to be. I base mine opinion on the amount of sacks they surrendered last year. Again it is it is not the only thing that is important but it is very important.
Pressures and hurries and hits, oh my.

Have a good day, friend.

Have a good day, friend.
Pressures and hurries are subjective. Hits may come from guys the oline are not responsible for. Thank you you too and Go Hoosiers

Have a good day, friend.
pressires and hurries are subjective. Hits may come from guys that the oline is not responsible for . Thank you and go Hoosiers.

Bold move bringing basketball into the equation for a school that hasn’t played in the tournament since Obama was in office.
A school that hasn't made the tournament since the Obama administration, but still has more NCAA tournamnet wins (6, compared to Iowa's 4) and has made it farther in the tournament (3 Sweet 16s to Iowa's..lol)in the last 10 years. Get ready, here comes some more basketball knowledge for you:
1. IU has gone 7-3 in the last 10 games vs Iowa
2. Over the last decade, in games when IU has been unranked and Iowa ranked, IU has a 5-2 record
3. Speaking 5-2 records, that's what one of the worst coaches IU basketball has ever had (Miller) had against the best coach Iowa has had since Tom Davis
4. In addition to making 3 Sweet 16s in the last 10 years, IU was also the Big 10 regular season champion twice (2013 & 2016). I'm sure Iowa did that last decade...nope. Well surely from 2000-2010...nevermind. The '90s! Surely they won the regular season title in that decade with some of their...guess not. The '80s? Oh, 1979 was the last time Iowa did that, Whew, I was getting a little worried there.
5. 2010-2020 was the first decade since the 1960s that IU DIDN'T make it to the Elite 8. What's it been, 34 years since Iowa was last there?

Last edited:
Reactions: 13thman
Iowa is a playoff contender only in the technical sense that anyone in a Power conference that is undefeated is a contender. Iowa appears to be good. They have many weaknesses and most Iowa fans would be very pleased with a division title and shot at the Buckeyes, but know that at minimum, a loss or 2 is happening this season barring a miracle.

My personal opinion from an outsider is that Indiana just wasn't ready for a game like last Saturday. Good (not great) opponent with a history of winning, large enthused crowd, a coach and culture that is going to come out and punch you in the mouth and see how the opponent responds. Indiana wasn't ready, at all.
Michigan State is undefeated and theoretically a playoff contending team by your standard. Iowa is a good football team, don't get me wrong, like an 8-4, 9-3 type team given you play in the West, but IU's demise Saturday was mostly self-inflicted. Iowa is a sound, well-coached football team but I wasn't impressed with their offense.

That's part of what made Penix special last year. He didn't take a ton of sacks, but he was constantly pressured. But last year pre-injury, Penix could feel pressure and was able to move around in and around the pocket. He wasn't afraid to step into his throws and deliver more accurate balls even if meant getting hit.

We didn't see that at all Saturday. Yes the line was generally bad overall, but it still doesn't excuse such a poor showing by Penix. I'm reluctant to call Saturday first game jitters for Penix but really hoping that is the case. But Penix was uncomfortable from the start. Rushed his throws to avoid getting hit, didn't move around in the pocket, etc.

A school that hasn't made the tournament since the Obama administration, but still has more NCAA tournamnet wins (6, compared to Iowa's 4) and has made it farther in the tournament (3 Sweet 16s to Iowa's..lol)in the last 10 years. Get ready, here comes some more basketball knowledge for you:
2. Over the last decade, in games when IU has been unranked and Iowa ranked, IU has a 5-2 record
3. Speaking 5-2 records, that's what one of the worst coaches IU basketball has ever had (Miller) had against the best coach Iowa has had since Tom Davis
4. In addition to making 3 Sweet 16s in the last 10 years, IU was also the Big 10 regular season champion twice (2013 & 2016). I'm sure Iowa did that last decade...nope. Well surely from 2000-2010...nevermind. The '90s! Surely they won the regular season title in that decade with some of their...guess not. The '80s? Oh, 1979 was the last time Iowa did that, Whew, I was getting a little worried there.
5. 2010-2020 was the first decade since the 1960s that IU DIDN'T make it to the Elite 8. What's it been, 34 years since Iowa was last there?
All of the work that went into that post and I’m not an Iowa fan. I applaud your effort though.

Not much threat of that, although by bucket day that field will be so ripped up they will know where the big pot holes are.
I won't touch on the field since you have no tangible evidence that it is bad. But I will ask. Are you implying that iu will easily beat Purdue?

You are educating a PUketroll not a hawktroll

What I meant to say is I would rather be IU feasting on bad teams rather than be Purdue and not beat anybody. I will take 8-5 over 4-8 and 6-2 over 2-4 any time.
Well, they beat the team picked to finish 12th in the pac 12, so that is a good start. We need to beat the team picked to finish damned near last in the fbs.

Reactions: Palmbeachhoosier
ADVERTISEMENT