ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Take On How We Might End Up In Tampa (Outback Bowl)

It is my hope the Florida bowl committees are recognizing IU has never played in a Florida bowl, has numerous players out of Florida, and a large fan base here in FL (not to mention those willing to make the trip to a warm weather bowl) who will attend.
I attended the Insight Bowl (Tempe AZ) in 2007, and IU traveled extremely well to that game. The attendance wasn't as robust for the Pinstripe but still respectable. The attendance for the IU/Duke Pinstripe was on a par with Wisconsin/Miami and Iowa/BC, the 2018 and 2017 Pinstripe games. Attendance was not good for the Redbox (then known as the Foster Farms) but I don't think that bowl ever draws particularly well. It's not easy to get to, and the weather isn't enticing.

If we're in the Gator or any Florida bowl, I have little doubt that we'll sell our allotment and have a large IU contingent.

It is my hope the Florida bowl committees are recognizing IU has never played in a Florida bowl, has numerous players out of Florida, and a large fan base here in FL (not to mention those willing to make the trip to a warm weather bowl) who will attend.
Players' families don't actually buy tickets because they are provided from the university. The players who have family members that cannot travel to games for whatever reason share their allotment with players from the area the game is being played. The economic impact felt by the bowl committee from playing in the (very large) home state of 25 players on our roster will be very minimal, IMO.

I do not disagree with your other points at all.

Reactions: iu2win
Players' families don't actually buy tickets because they are provided from the university. The players who have family members that cannot travel to games for whatever reason share their allotment with players from the area the game is being played. The economic impact felt by the bowl committee from playing in the (very large) home state of 25 players on our roster will be very minimal, IMO.

I agree 100%. When I mentioned the IU players/families my intent was to emphasize the prospect of hyping an IU team playing in Tampa with multiple players from the Tampa area. I think it makes for a great story and just one more reason to potentially choose IU over teams that have repeatedly played in these bowls down here. Heck, McVay even mentioned that in the article when the Outback visited Memorial Stadium earlier this season.

And I hope Music City strongly prefers an ACC team this time around instead of another B1G 10 team again.

All of which could help IU end up in (with any luck) the Gator Bowl,

This has gained a lot of legs in Kentucky and Tennessee circles.

The Gator wants a B10 team, and MCB seems to want Louisville and UT.

Looks like Kentucky/IU in Jacksonville is the leading rumor.

No. Once you put OSU in the playoff and one of Wis/PSU in the Bowl 6, you wind up with all bowl eligible b10 teams slotted to contractual games with no extra b10 teams looking for games.

The problem for IU, MSU and Illinois is that bowl reps saw the empty stands in home stadiums. They are trying to sell tickets and hotel rooms. TV execs will favor MSU, chamber of commerce types might rationalize that IU is most likely to travel (think MSU fan base is fatigued(.
I do believe that politicians, administrators, bowl select committee, etc will make any deal that makes money. And that they can get away with with only some pushback.

In New Orleans, when we had the super bowl, it was impressive. In the few months leading up to the game, the city resurfaced streets, redid landscaping, painted; all to present an attractive appearance. The reason the city provided the money was the desire to have other big events. The reason for that desire was to have the money from hotels, food, store sales, cans, rental cars, airport, etc.
I have no disagreement with this. I only mention it in that I suspect far more goes into making the selection than just contracts.
Hope this is not a dumb post.

But very possible many of those FL families (any from Central FL or south) with free tix may still need hotel rooms and will eat at local restaurants or grab a drink at a local bar or Uber. Not saying they’re going full bore like big Alums there to party, but think Tye FL location will maybe extend to more friends and family going to Jax and staying/spending something even with free tix.

But yes, bigger Econ impact is from traveling fan base.

But very possible many of those FL families (any from Central FL or south) with free tix may still need hotel rooms and will eat at local restaurants or grab a drink at a local bar or Uber. Not saying they’re going full bore like big Alums there to party, but think Tye FL location will maybe extend to more friends and family going to Jax and staying/spending something even with free tix.

But yes, bigger Econ impact is from traveling fan base.

Not to mention all of the former teammates, classmates, and community who followed those Florida players throughout their prep playing days. There could be many who would buy tickets and spend money for the short drive to Raymond James Stadium.

Reactions: 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT