ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Peegs Podcast on IU QB history: Wilson Legacy Here: D to D-?

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
I truly liked Wilson's hire, thought he added swagger and took IU from basement to middle of road, etc. But after 6 yrs (not 1.75!) he really wasn't showing strong upward trajectory.

One of the biggest issues that is 100% clear and on him & his staff, is the results of recruiting QBs, by what was supposed to be an offensive guru, but he was never able to make it happen there.

Over his last five years at IU, Wilson's QB recruits:

2013 - No QBs
2014 - Diamont, Danny Cameron
2015 - Austin King
2016 - Ramsey, Lagow (Foster Farms Bowl was Allen's 1st game)
2017 - Tronti
*Allen's first season, really was Wilson's recruits Allen maintained. Able to add Tronti late

2018 - Michael Penix, Brandon Dawkins & *Reese Taylor
*Allen's first full time HC recruiting class. Dawkins looked good on paper, didn't work out.

So for the most important position on the team, in Allen's first full year as HC he had Lagow and RS FR Ramsey as returning QB's to rely on. Tronti didn't play. Left last spring.

In Allen's first recruiting class of his own, IU landed a 4-star QB that most believe has the potential to be really good, as in pass as well as Sudfeld, but 10x more mobile. True dual threat QB.

That should be factored into the mix. IU was on a string of BAD QB recruits. (How do you not sign anyone in 2013?) That factors into the types of other quality recruits you attract.

Many would say (myself included) that Penix probably should have played sooner this season. I believe had he not been injured vs. Penn St, he would have played out season and not been red-shirted. I'm at least glad he is keeping RS year, but we saw enough to see the future.

Like what we have coming in next year and I bet IU will keep most if not all of current verbals, and add more good players who will add depth or have an ability to contribute quickly. (See especially 4-star, #8 RB in nation Sampson James.)

A coach needs his recruits, his evolved staff (likely to see changes next season) and his culture. The team hasn't quit. The S/C program will continue. And marquee players will start to shine.

I'm still quite hopeful they beat MD, which would allow for a hugely meaningful Bucket game opportunity to beat a (now) heavily favored PU to go bowling (& possibly keep them from doing so?) IF that happened, that would put a good flavor back in IU fan's mouths and show good sign of life.

If they don't pull that off, will be a disappointment for sure. But as long as Allen shows he's willing to make changes, be accountable and continue to recruit well, I truly think a Penix-led offense alone will be the start of higher-flying offense and an ability to have better rested, stronger defense (with a lot of talent returning) next season.

Stay Positive!

Reactions: ESalum86
I truly liked Wilson's hire, thought he added swagger and took IU from basement to middle of road, etc. But after 6 yrs (not 1.75!) he really wasn't showing strong upward trajectory.

One of the biggest issues that is 100% clear and on him & his staff, is the results of recruiting QBs, by what was supposed to be an offensive guru, but he was never able to make it happen there.

2013 - No QBs
2015 - Austin King
2017 - Tronti
*Allen's first season, really was Wilson's recruits Allen maintained. Able to add Tronti late

*Allen's first full time HC recruiting class. Dawkins looked good on paper, didn't work out.

So for the most important position on the team, in Allen's first full year as HC he had Lagow and RS FR Ramsey as returning QB's to rely on. Tronti didn't play. Left last spring.

In Allen's first recruiting class of his own, IU landed a 4-star QB that most believe has the potential to be really good, as in pass as well as Sudfeld, but 10x more mobile. True dual threat QB.

That should be factored into the mix. IU was on a string of BAD QB recruits. (How do you not sign anyone in 2013?) That factors into the types of other quality recruits you attract.

Many would say (myself included) that Penix probably should have played sooner this season. I believe had he not been injured vs. Penn St, he would have played out season and not been red-shirted. I'm at least glad he is keeping RS year, but we saw enough to see the future.

Like what we have coming in next year and I bet IU will keep most if not all of current verbals, and add more good players who will add depth or have an ability to contribute quickly. (See especially 4-star, #8 RB in nation Sampson James.)

A coach needs his recruits, his evolved staff (likely to see changes next season) and his culture. The team hasn't quit. The S/C program will continue. And marquee players will start to shine.

I'm still quite hopeful they beat MD, which would allow for a hugely meaningful Bucket game opportunity to beat a (now) heavily favored PU to go bowling (& possibly keep them from doing so?) IF that happened, that would put a good flavor back in IU fan's mouths and show good sign of life.

If they don't pull that off, will be a disappointment for sure. But as long as Allen shows he's willing to make changes, be accountable and continue to recruit well, I truly think a Penix-led offense alone will be the start of higher-flying offense and an ability to have better rested, stronger defense (with a lot of talent returning) next season.

Stay Positive!

Actually Tronti was a last second pick up by Allen but you are correct, Wilson did an amazingly poor job of recruiting QB's given his status as a one time elite offensive coordinator.

I say we fire him...! Oh..., guess Fred was ahead of that particular curve...;)

I am very eager for next 4 years with Penix at the helm. Ramsey actually would be a fine back up to have, but Penix's arm opens up everything.

In final 3 games, I hope Reese T gets some looks too. For a change of pace and dynamic player to keep defenses on their heels. If they did it with Diamont for God sakes, they could do it with him.

Debord may want to listen to fans and open things up the last 3 games too. You need to win 2 games, don't do it conservatively. Go all in.

Reactions: ESalum86
I am very eager for next 4 years with Penix at the helm. Ramsey actually would be a fine back up to have, but Penix's arm opens up everything.

In final 3 games, I hope Reese T gets some looks too. For a change of pace and dynamic player to keep defenses on their heels. If they did it with Diamont for God sakes, they could do it with him.

Debord may want to listen to fans and open things up the last 3 games too. You need to win 2 games, don't do it conservatively. Go all in.
I would be surprised if the opinions of fans are considered as DeBord conceives his offensive game plans for the last three contests.

Reactions: iueyedoc99
The offensive strategy is to minimize turnovers with the hopes that the defense will shut down the opposition. Indiana put points on the board last week when DeBord went became desperate. And as soon as aIU got back in the game he went conservative again. What is missing in his offense is a top defense.

The catch-22 is the more the offense is opened up the greater the chance that Ramsey gets hurt. Unless they try to incorporate Reese Taylor more. I also hope they try to get away from that third down backfield.

Forget "fan input" - as someone noted against MN, 4th quarter, played on fire, scored 22, then went 3 runs up middle? Be more open, be bold and I say give Reese Taylor some packages at QB. I'd hate to have him sit now b/c he's back up QB. He needs touches.

Reactions: DANC
Wilson took a gamble in ‘13 because he signed 2 QBs in ‘12 (Sudfeld and Coffman) and he also thought he had Roberson three more years. That strategy would have been fine had everyone stayed around or Sudfeld not been injured. They didn’t, he did, and ‘14 quickly turned into worst case scenario.

2013 - No QBs
2015 - Austin King
2017 - Tronti

Stay Positive!

It has upset the usual people when I have pointed out Wilson's failure in managing a QB roster despite his reputation. This is exactly what I have referred to. Facts are facts.

Forget "fan input" - as someone noted against MN, 4th quarter, played on fire, scored 22, then went 3 runs up middle? Be more open, be bold and I say give Reese Taylor some packages at QB. I'd hate to have him sit now b/c he's back up QB. He needs touches.
I don’t know that RT at QB is the answer, but it’s becoming clear we’re going to have to do something out of the box to win with current personnel. Just playing conservative all the time (ie no kick returns, etc.) and playing not to get hurt is going to continue to lead to losses against superior athletes, and is not even leading to wins against equal teams at this point. Wasn’t MN running a TE out of a wildcat formation or something? The point is they didn’t just sit on the ball and pray for turnovers, they used every weapon they had to win that game.

ADVERTISEMENT