ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting comments from Purdue AD Morgan Burke today

Feb 4, 2003
"Purdue AD Morgan Burke interested in moving Bucket game with IU to pre- Thanksgiving. Asked IU to move this year's to Lucas Oil in Indy."' Asked (IU) to move last week's game to Lucas Oil.' Got a no. 'I'd have done same thing' ""AD Morgan Burke: May consider trying to move IU game to mid-season because of timing playing at the end of the year."

I have no issue with the bucket game being earlier - attendence stinks

maybe later if the programs are rebuilt last is fine, but right now the post thanksgiving date stinks...
1st Big 10 game would be interesting..

Re: I have no issue with the bucket game being earlier - attendence stinks

He had some weird comments in general about Purdue football. I can see why a lot of Boilers aren't big fans. All for moving the game. A lot of non hardcore fans who would normally go skip solely for weather reasons, like it or not
Posted from Rivals Mobile

The Lucas Oil Stadium idea would backfire...

Every time IU considers a neutral site game, the B town businesses gripe because it takes away from their revenue opportunity....

Sometimes, you just can't win...

sorry to be a traditionalist...

...but I think the game timing should stay as it is. That Is the weekend when many schools play their traditional in state rival (eg, iron Bowl, egg bowl, etc)

Posted from Rivals Mobile

As much as I hate it played after Thanksgiving I would not want it

anywhere but the last game of the season. If you think attendence is low when it's Purdue wait and play Northwestern or Illinios with nothing on the line and crappy weather. You will find even a smaller croud. The Purdue Game will always generate interest no matter the record which cannot be said for other opponents.

Every third year, play it at Lucas Oil........

Find out what a non-weather influenced game date could generate.

Bloomington business interests don't matter, if one objectively looks at what the business community contributes to the game day presentation. It's ho hum to most of those interests....if not, there would be a sellout, the north end would be filled with folks whose business interest or employer puchased tickets in blocks..etc. The students would come , IF the Universities made an effort to arrange transport and lodging packages at a good rate.

Market the game in Indy....the downtown is accustomed to Colts events and have rallied around them for game-day experiences..
Parking is not an issue...hotel rooms could be made available at a low rate...Indy downtown hotels are averaging about 72% occupancy..plenty of dining, bars, tailgating within easy walking..

There are many positive aspects......POTENTIAL, yeah, that's it...
This post was edited on 12/2 11:34 AM by Mas-sa-suta

I'm with ya....

Rivalry games should be the last regular season game.

Except

there is ZERO college game day atmosphere at Lucas. The Ball State game sucked and not just for the outcome.

The students would come? They don't come now and no special travel/lodging arrangements are needed.

My seats for the Ball State game were much worse than my seats at Memorial Stadium. Lessens the value of season tickets.

Re: Except

It should always be the final regular season game. If Burke wants to move it, let him host it at LOS in the years it is scheduled for W. Laffy. It would be nice to never have to be in that sh#*hole of a town ever again. When it's scheduled for B-town, it should be in Memorial Stadium. Agree that the atmosphere is horrible in LOS.

With the high school state finals at Lucas that weekend, the game would have to be moved to a different week if it were to be played in Indy. The rivalry games the last weekend are about all that remain of any form of Big Ten tradition.

There wasn't much atmosphere Saturday.....

students being gone really hurts.

I'd have no issue with moving the game. It could be cool. But, I live in Indy so that's a big factor.

louisville/Ken-Sucky

always played their game as the first game of the year until Louisville started beating them routinely. The nice thing about the first game is the Spring has meaning to ALOT more people. You spend the entire summer talking about the first game of the year.... Also you can get a Prime time National TV slot. Good for both programs.

It is tough being the first game but I like the talk it generates during the summer.

Silly...

On Saturday, when OSU plays Wisky for the B1G title...there will be plenty of game day atmosphere...

If the students don't come now...what are you talking about? OSU and Wisky fans will be there..

Your seats..?..blah,blah,blah....

Get over yourself.....

Anything that would allow students to be on campus...

when this game is played, I'm all for.

The game should absolutely be moved to a different weekend. Having the biggest rivalry game on campus on a weekend when the students are gone is absurd. Having the game the last week is only really exciting when one or both teams are playing to clinch something like a bowl game or divisional championship. Most years each team will have their bowl hopes determined already and the opportunity to clinch a divisional championship is decidedly rare for these teams. The only reason to keep the game the last weekend is "tradition," and tradition is not a good enough reason to exclude students - an important part of the tradition, rivalry, and fun of the game. Plenty of schools have rivalry games earlier in the year with great success. It may actually benefit this rivalry to be played when other rivalry games aren't as it might get a little more attention. Playing it in October, for example, during a week when there are no other big rivalry games and each team still has a winning or 500 record would likely be a much more exciting environment than the one witnessed this year. This game should be a sell-out on both campuses and neither school is likely to achieve that by holding it on the saturday after Thanksgiving. The Bucket Game with 30,000 non-students in attendance is really a shame and both schools should do what they can to rejuvenate interest, starting first with moving the game to a time of the year better suited to these programs, the fans, and the students.

I'm not a fan of moving the game to a neutral site, but I could live with it every third year.

Play on Black Friday at LOS

Play 2 HS games in the afternoon-empty the place out-play the Old Oaken Bucket at 8 PM. Get some prime time exposure. Remaining HS games can be played on Saturday.

What was wrong with the atmosphere Saturday? I loved every

minute of it. And there were many on the student's side of the field (probably mostly faculty/ staff but they stayed for the second half. I had some around me on the alumni side that left at halftime, some with small children.

Everyone always complains about the game day atmosphere; you are spoiled. I think what they have improved on is great - and the flagpole honoring vets is also great. Being a 20 year vet it may mean more to me than to someone else.

What game did students show up for this season?

I must have missed that game.

Re: Silly...

The last time I checked, the Old Oaken Bucket game was between Purdue and IU, not OSU and Wisky. What the hell are you talking about? Big difference between B1G championship game vs IU/PU.

Silly, indeed.

This post was edited on 12/2 3:59 PM by Iamhoosier

Re: There wasn't much atmosphere Saturday.....

Isn't that the weekend that all the rivalry games are played?

His team was playing competitive games five weeks ago

This just seems like he doesn't want to see his Boilers limp into the Bucket game shot to pieces like this year. They probably would've blistered IU five short weeks ago, instead they were physically dismantled upon the arrival of the Bucket game.

He aint foolin this ole boy. BTW, the Bucket game should be either the first game or last game, not somewhere in between. The first game scenario is neat because football is talked about starting in late July and it would lead up to a climax at kickoff...I've witnessed this for years in the UL/UK rivalry.

loser talk is all this is.....

Purdue lost cry cry cry! I saw lots of students and fans in the stands at other schools. This whole thing is down right loser talk. The stands will be full when one team starts to win. Simple and easy nothing more nothing less. BTW, the weather was normal for November so that weather talk doesn't work either. Purdue loses and Burke is upset. Just a little information for you Purdue, you will lose next year also.

Re: His team was playing competitive games five weeks ago

And IU would have blistered them a few weeks before that.

And really, Purdue was only playing solid football for about a 3 or 4 week span this season. The IU team that beat Purdue this past weekend would have been competitive with Purdue at any other time during the season other than that span and probably would have won several of those weeks.

Re: There wasn't much atmosphere Saturday.....

Playing this game on the Saturday after Thanksgiving is terrible as most students are not on campus. Keep the game on each campus and play it on a particular Saturday every year - say the first or second Saturday in October. I'd guess that each school would have fewer players who have been lost for the season due to severe injuries. Who says that the bucket game has to be on the day when other schools play their rivalry games?

Spot on about game atmosphere. LOS is not built for

the college game. The IU-BSU game was awful, from an atmosphere standpoint.

Didn't we play Illinois there some years ago? Or at the Hoosier Dome? If I recall, the atmosphere was horrible then, also.

Who else you gonna play last game of the year? Most

other schools already have rivalry games that day.

For once, let's just honor tradition.

It depends on when the smell on campus is improved

The last time I was at Purdue, the smell on campus was noticeable. If it is better earlier in the year, then I am all for it. Maybe it isn't an issue anymore. My son was there recently and said the area around the stadium smelled.

Baloney..

There is nothing LOS lacks to be a great college venue..Great Parking and TG space..great access to bars/restaurant/hotels,
Great gametime videos, great food selection..

An excellent event promotion infrastructure.

Why would it be a great place 10 times a year to see Colts and not a key rivalry college game..?

Just saying it doesn't make it true, or your post accurate..

I think the limiter is the date, with both school's students being gone...taking it to a major metropolitan area and marketing it
are attendance builders.

Nope. I've been to a college game there. Have you?

It's a very sterile atmosphere.

It's built for the Colts and the NFL. Not college. There is a huge difference in crowds and attitudes.

The Best College Rivalry Game

Is Texas versus Oklahoma in Dallas, in the Cotton Bowl, with one end orange, and one end red. The State Fair of Texas is the backdrop so one can purchase some BBQ or a walking taco, a cold brew and listen to a mariachi band for tailgating. The game is played the first Saturday in October and there is not a more electric college football game. I think it would be wise for Purdue and IU to have the game in Lucas Oil and make it 50/50 tickets. The one thing IU can do to draw more fans is make fans feel a scarcity of tickets. If we had a 40,000 seat Memorial stadium then I bet it'd be full most weeks. People pay a lot of money for seats to Texas/BlowU. Bloomington cannot support a 52,000 seat stadium.

Not in favor of a move, but LOS would favor IU

IU would have the attendance advantage at LOS, surprised Burke would suggest that.

Notice how

we have "opinions" but he is "right"? Bet you are correct that he has not been to an IU game in LOS.

This post was edited on 12/4 9:26 AM by Iamhoosier

Been going to bucket games for years and have never seen a sell-out at Indiana. Lucas Oil Stadium might increase attendance for IU because people might drive downtown. The sure don't drive to Bloomington--even when we have been decent. Only sell-outs have been when Buckeye fans have bought up all the tickets.

ADVERTISEMENT