ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting article.

Good article. Thanks for posting. I disagree with the article regarding the fall of college hoops. I think it will be better.
Forcing kids to go to school and paying under the table is a joke. Maybe we can actually have student athletes.
Go Hoosiers!

I love the idea of the "elite" players skipping college basketball. It should make for a better product, and will eliminate the players that are only trying to get to the NBA after one year. Obviously there will be break out stars that will leave early, but it could bring more stability and help level the talent gap that Duke, Kentucky, and all of the other powerhouse schools currently have.

Good article. Thanks for posting. I disagree with the article regarding the fall of college hoops. I think it will be better.
Forcing kids to go to school and paying under the table is a joke. Maybe we can actually have student athletes.
Go Hoosiers!
I agree. If all the super talent who have no interest in a college degree pass on to a pro contract from high school, this will make the college game more interesting. Frankly, the name changes each year have really decreased my interest in watching any games. College basketball, as it becomes identical to the pro game, is of no interest to me. I have not watched an NBA game in about twenty years.

I think there will always be room for both products. A whole lot of the best baseball prospects have been foregoing college for minor league contracts out of high school for many, many years. And college baseball has endured - right alongside the minors.

Sure, college basketball may see fewer phenoms come through. But there are only so many dollars out there for pros — be it in the G League, overseas, or The Show.

Plus, there is a huge amount of brand equity and loyalty among college basketball fans. I wouldn’t say they don’t care who is wearing their teams’ uniforms. But I would say that it’s the rivalries, the tournaments, etc. where the true value actually lies. Even the stars who come along are only there briefly - no more than 2 or 3 years. College basketball fans are necessarily accustomed to roster turnover.

It’s the uniforms that are constant.

Reactions: channi and cryano
yes sir, the dam has been breeched. Very soon the top programs won't waste recruiting trips on kids in the rivals/247 top 10 list. Just imagine what half a mil $$ looks like to a 17 yr old.

You may be correct about recruiting, however my first thought when I read about kids going straight to the G League was your last sentence.

I can’t fathom a 17 yr old making wise decisions with all of that money. In fact many adults make unwise decisions when they go from rags to riches in a short period of time. I foresee these kids taking the money and not having anything to fall back upon in a few years.

We all have the right to make our own decisions. I hope this works out well for these kids.

Wonder when the next step is taken and they allow kids of any age into this G League program. You think Emoni Bates needs two more years of high school? Did Lebron?

The tragic dark side of that will be the countless kids that do need those high school years to grow up mentally before they get money, agents, etc...fully released on them.

Basketball isn’t a physically dangerous game like football. Why isn’t Emoni Bates allowed to go get his money now?

Reactions: BigMobe
I think there will always be room for both products. A whole lot of the best baseball prospects have been foregoing college for minor league contracts out of high school for many, many years. And college baseball has endured - right alongside the minors.

Sure, college basketball may see fewer phenoms come through. But there are only so many dollars out there for pros — be it in the G League, overseas, or The Show.

Plus, there is a huge amount of brand equity and loyalty among college basketball fans. I wouldn’t say they don’t care who is wearing their teams’ uniforms. But I would say that it’s the rivalries, the tournaments, etc. where the true value actually lies. Even the stars who come along are only there briefly - no more than 2 or 3 years. College basketball fans are necessarily accustomed to roster turnover.

It’s the uniforms that are constant.

Totally agree. Sure I want IU to get great players and be competitive but THE reason I follow them is the name on the front. I am an IU fan, period.

Reactions: mobilehoosier
I apologize that the link I posted did not work for everyone.

Here is the article and I guess if posting it violates some rule then the mods can take it down.

By Jay Busbee

Morning! Let’s wrap the week with a little quiz.

Can you name the five most exciting players in college basketball right now? How about the five most exciting players slated to return in the fall? Don’t worry if you failed. Hell, I follow sports for a living, and I couldn’t pass my own test.

College basketball is in the grips of an identity crisis so severe that most American sports fans have little to no connection with the players that make up every NCAA tournament.

So Thursday’s news, first reported by our own Chris Haynes, that Jalen Green, the nation’s top high school player, would sidestep the NCAA and play for an NBA G-League team instead isn’t just a story of a kid getting some fast cash. It’s a potential body blow to the entire NCAA.

Because of the NBA’s current one-and-done rule, players can’t join the NBA for a year after their high school graduation, no matter how talented they are. (See: Kobe Bryant, LeBron James and Kevin Garnett, all of whom turned pro before this rule.) Up until now, those overqualified high school players had a choice: spend a year killing time on a college campus, or spend a year making money overseas, often in Australia.

But the G League has upped its financial game — reports are that Green could make as much as $500,000 for one year of ball — and that makes it a viable and lucrative stateside option.

Make no mistake, this isn’t just the NBA firing a shot across the NCAA’s bow — it’s shots across the bow, over the stern, and through the masts. Our Pete Thamel quoted one agent calling it “a big middle finger to the NCAA,” and that sounds about right. This is the NBA bypassing the NCAA completely, taking control of player development and even offering a scholarship for players to complete their college degree.

All of a sudden, the NCAA finds itself boxed out by its own machinations. Players can’t get (legally) paid to play college ball, and it turns out the allure of being an unpaid student-athlete at a college campus — while definitely a draw for some players — won’t do much to alter the trajectory of elite ballers with their eye on the NBA.

College basketball is already facing an uphill challenge to gain eyeballs during its regular season. The G League could doom it to niche status for 11 months out of the year. This won’t significantly affect the NCAA tournament — we just saw how important that is, even in a down year for star power — but the G League might just doom the entire rest of the college basketball season to irrelevancy.

On the plus side, though, you’ll still be able to hate Duke. That’s never changing.

Hope your weekend’s a safe and happy one. Stay safe, have a good meal, call your loved ones, and we’ll see you back here Monday!

You may be correct about recruiting, however my first thought when I read about kids going straight to the G League was your last sentence.

I can’t fathom a 17 yr old making wise decisions with all of that money. In fact many adults make unwise decisions when they go from rags to riches in a short period of time. I foresee these kids taking the money and not having anything to fall back upon in a few years.

We all have the right to make our own decisions. I hope this works out well for these kids.
yes...some of these kids will get pushed by friends and family to go this route, make the quick money. And sadly, in some cases, they will be back out in the public before age 25, with no degree, no other professional skills, and most, if not all of that money gone. Hopefully the ones who never sniff the NBA can find a career playing ball overseas.

yes...some of these kids will get pushed by friends and family to go this route, make the quick money. And sadly, in some cases, they will be back out in the public before age 25, with no degree, no other professional skills, and most, if not all of that money gone. Hopefully the ones who never sniff the NBA can find a career playing ball overseas.
Who cares? You take chances in life. Life isn’t fair. Only ten-ish kids a year will get this opportunity. If they can’t make it then pay for school and go.

Who cares? You take chances in life. Life isn’t fair. Only ten-ish kids a year will get this opportunity. If they can’t make it then pay for school and go.
point was that 17 yr olds with hanger-ons don't make the best choices. I don't really care, it won't affect my life personally. Will add a wrinkle to recruiting as a coach has to have an idea of a top 10's intentions before the coach invests a lot of resources recruiting him. Otherwise you are going to see a lot of Josh Smiths.

point was that 17 yr olds with hanger-ons don't make the best choices. I don't really care, it won't affect my life personally. Will add a wrinkle to recruiting as a coach has to have an idea of a top 10's intentions before the coach invests a lot of resources recruiting him.
Hell I get it. I do. Did any of us make the best choices all the time? It’s high risk, high reward in both cases. The real talented kids(even if they take a scholarship) won’t graduate anyway. It’s just complete nonsense for an 18 year old being banned from a profession. If they can go, let them go.

Hell I get it. I do. Did any of us make the best choices all the time? It’s high risk, high reward in both cases. The real talented kids(even if they take a scholarship) won’t graduate anyway. It’s just complete nonsense for an 18 year old being banned from a profession. If they can go, let them go.
it's more than nonsense...I've said during discussion with friends, it's borderline unconstitutional.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
The system is a joke right now. Kentucky players can skip all spring classes and declare for NBA. I call it the Hessian Soldier Plan. Rent-a-player and then rinse and repeat. I look forward to 3-4 year players again. These kids will have no degree to fall back on if they can't cut it in NBA. They have to face that by the choices they make.

Reactions: channi
it's more than nonsense...I've said during discussion with friends, it's borderline unconstitutional.
I don’t see that anyone’s rights are being violated. The NBA has hiring standards, just like any company. They aren’t obligated to hire anyone, just as universities aren’t required to admit anyone.

Reactions: channi
I don’t see that anyone’s rights are being violated. The NBA has hiring standards, just like any company. They aren’t obligated to hire anyone, just as universities aren’t required to admit anyone.
I was actually referring to the NFL's age restrictions. It's technically not an official age, but you have to be 3 yrs removed from high school. Doesn't matter if a 20 yr old is physically mature enough to compete, has the skills, etc...like all other professions. If you're not 3 yrs removed from HS, you aren't allowed in, period. I think Maurice Clarett challenged this, and won.

All other professional sports do not have such requirements. Dwight Gooden was a rookie all star pitcher in the MLB...at age 19. TIger won his first Masters at age 21, the same age that most players would be completing their Jr yr in college. But he won his first PGA tourney the previous yr, when he was only 20. Patrick Kane started his career with the Blackhawks when he was 19. I could go on and on...

Granted, without a "G" league for the NFL, it is a bit of a different animal.

Last edited:
I was actually referring to the NFL's age restrictions. It's technically not an official age, but you have to be 3 yrs removed from high school. Doesn't matter if a 20 yr old is physically mature enough to compete, has the skills, etc...like all other professions. If you're not 3 yrs removed from HS, you aren't allowed in, period. I think Maurice Clarett challenged this, and won.

All other professional sports do not have such requirements. Dwight Gooden was a rookie all star pitcher in the MLB...at age 19. TIger won his first Masters at age 21, the same age that most players would be completing their Jr yr in college. But he won his first PGA tourney the previous yr, when he was only 20. Patrick Kane started his career with the Blackhawks when he was 19. I could go on and on...

Granted, without a "G" league for the NFL, it is a bit of a different animal.
The NFLs employment standards don’t violate the US Constitution, either. There is no right that is violated.

I'm a huge fan of this. People who want to go pro, go pro. People who want a 3-4 year college experience, they go the college route. This would also quiet some of the pundits who casually ignore the 100k+ per year in tuition/Room&Board/Tutoring/travel/training/facilities/etc when they say college athletes aren't paid.

ADVERTISEMENT