ADVERTISEMENT

Instructive Covid Graphic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note that flu rose from 30,000 to 82,000 in the time it took Covid to rise from 1 to 345,000. Covid is NOT Flue

I don't think so. Just look how many people here claim Covid is like flu or a cold. Anything that might show a few of those people the light is a good thing and worth doing.

Reactions: Bippy and T.M.P.
Guess that means we are all going to die. Damn just my luck , IU after years , finally has a good football program , and Covid happens. Notice how I brought conversation back to what this board is about. FOOTBALL .

Guess that means we are all going to die. Damn just my luck , IU after years , finally has a good football program , and Covid happens. Notice how I brought conversation back to what this board is about. FOOTBALL .
Uhhhh, you're on the basketball board. :rolleyes:

It affects our sports viewing abilities. What else can we talk about when we have no current sports to watch and critique.
Baseball needs to get their rear in gear. They have a wonderful opportunity to help a lot of people during this time. I think if they start playing and they are the only game in town then you will have some people who will become baseball fans who were not previously. Get it done MLB!

I agree because there are people who are asymptomatic. I've never known anyone who had the flu and they said, "I didn't know I had the flu".

If someone is asymptomatic with the flu how would they ever know it? They don't test for the flu like they are for CcVid. Maybe it happens and maybe it doesn't.

Reactions: minneman
Baseball needs to get their rear in gear. They have a wonderful opportunity to help a lot of people during this time. I think if they start playing and they are the only game in town then you will have some people who will become baseball fans who were not previously. Get it done MLB!
Dumb

Reactions: birdforbogey
There are a million more things in my life more important than baseball. Would be happy if MLB never play another game.

Yet, ironically, they are both coronaviruses with the same symptoms, just more severe with this current one.

No they are not.
Influenza virus is a member of the Orthomyxoviridae family and corona is a member of a different family
Coronaviridae.
Nice try

In terms of years of life lost, covid could be worse. Not to say it isnt deadly, but say the flu kills 60,000 like last year, and 15,000 were 10 or younger. the loss of years of life is approx 60 years x 15,000 thats 900,000 years of life just for the kids. 91 % of covid deaths are ppl over 60 years. half being 80 or older. this group has an estimated 10 or so years left to live. 100,000 ppl x 10 years. thats 1,000,000 years of life for all the old people. so basically the 15,000 young ppl, is close to years of like lost to the 100,000 very old and sick people. again, not claiming covid isnt deadly, just a different approach to analysing data.

Youth soccer and video games will be the demise of MLB, as we once knew of it, in the next generation.

Youth soccer and video games will be the demise of MLB, as we once knew of it, in the next generation.

There is hope, however.

We live near a park with three extremely-nice baseball diamonds. As kids, we would have killed to have such fields nearby. I've often lamented, while walking the pup, that these diamonds are seldom used (prior to Covid-19) except for scheduled games and practices. The lush, large outfield areas are too-frequently used for youth soccer. Well, while walking early this morning, there were five kids, all around 11 or 12, playing hardball, with one pitching and three fielding. Almost turned for home to go get my glove.

Unstructured play was how we learned the game. And we'd play for hours. Didn't matter if there were only 3 or 4 of us or if we had enough to play a game with 5 or 6 on a side. If it started to get dark our mothers would come over to drag us home.

I don't think so. Just look how many people here claim Covid is like flu or a cold. Anything that might show a few of those people the light is a good thing and worth doing.

for the young it maybe is.

for olders, not so much.

other than saying it's worse for older people, it's beyond disgraceful the lack of information and statistics given by both the govt and the media on the vast differences between how covid affects different age groups.

here is the 6/17/2020 CDC breakdown by age groups.

table is at bottom of page.

covid deaths is the column immediately right of the age group column.

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-COVID-19-Death-Counts-by-Sex-Age-and-S/9bhg-hcku

There is hope, however.

We live near a park with three extremely-nice baseball diamonds. As kids, we would have killed to have such fields nearby. I've often lamented, while walking the pup, that these diamonds are seldom used (prior to Covid-19) except for scheduled games and practices. The lush, large outfield areas are too-frequently used for youth soccer. Well, while walking early this morning, there were five kids, all around 11 or 12, playing hardball, with one pitching and three fielding. Almost turned for home to go get my glove.

Unstructured play was how we learned the game. And we'd play for hours. Didn't matter if there were only 3 or 4 of us or if we had our enough to play a game with 5 or 6 on a side. If it started to get dark our mothers would come over to drag us home.
Nice story. We played, too, in mowed fields with however many could be mustered. One time a kid hit a homer into the back of a moving pickup truck, the street being the limit of the really deep balls...there it is, forever etched in memory. Then it was football Sunday afternoons in the Fall, backyard style, until the ponds froze over for ice hockey. Youth of today play in more animation with screen time skills on display in a never ending thirst for competition. They’re not the new riders of the purple sage of my day, but the new riders of the Techno Age today. Change is coming, folks. Think of it as a recalibration and you’ll be fine. Even the worse cooks know the top layer of fat has to be skimmed off on occasion.

Nice story. We played, too, in mowed fields with however many could be mustered. One time a kid hit a homer into the back of a moving pickup truck, the street being the limit of the really deep balls...there it is, forever etched in memory. Then it was football Sunday afternoons in the Fall, backyard style, until the ponds froze over for ice hockey. Youth of today play in more animation with screen time skills on display in a never ending thirst for competition. They’re not the new riders of the purple sage of my day, but the new riders of the Techno Age today. Change is coming, folks. Think of it as a recalibration and you’ll be fine. Even the worse cooks know the top layer of fat has to be skimmed off on occasion.

As a kid, I watched my cousin bat a wiffle ball onto a moving station wagon and it stuck in the luggage rack as it drove past. 40 years later, it's still a remember when story. My kids still love outdoors once they forget about the screens. That's not to say they don't go through some withdrawal.

There is nothing that will show the light other than many more rednecks get it. I pissed it away at first too as nothing more to be worried about than the flu till my wife and I got it. Weeks of night sweats/fatigue. I mean, we survived fortunately, but there's nothing fun about shortness of breath and this is DEFINITELY much more than the flu and there's no guarantee you can't get it again or a different strain of it. As much as I detest the political propaganda about it from both parties, I definitely do believe it is a manufactured illness, for whatever reason I can't imagine, but certainly it backfired

Reactions: T.M.P. and cryano
As a kid, I watched my cousin bat a wiffle ball onto a moving station wagon and it stuck in the luggage rack as it drove past. 40 years later, it's still a remember when story. My kids still love outdoors once they forget about the screens. That's not to say they don't go through some withdrawal.
Wiffle ball was really big when I was growing up. You don't see kids playing it today in the backyards. Where I live the local kids like to go 4-wheeling in the woods when not hunting or fishing. It's become a generational thing passed from father to son.

Reactions: H00SIER-Cat
As much as I detest the political propaganda about it from both parties, I definitely do believe it is a manufactured illness, for whatever reason I can't imagine, but certainly it backfired
How can you be so certain it backfired when it's not over, yet? Maybe it's just getting warmed up, as intended. First came change, then came presidential upheaval, then came...NEW WORLD ORDER. Did someone say "sports"?

There is nothing that will show the light other than many more rednecks get it. I pissed it away at first too as nothing more to be worried about than the flu till my wife and I got it. Weeks of night sweats/fatigue. I mean, we survived fortunately, but there's nothing fun about shortness of breath and this is DEFINITELY much more than the flu and there's no guarantee you can't get it again or a different strain of it. As much as I detest the political propaganda about it from both parties, I definitely do believe it is a manufactured illness, for whatever reason I can't imagine, but certainly it backfired

Replying to myself because I hadn't finished my thoughts, but anybody that thinks this is the flu is just f'n kidding themselves or very, very stupid. Like I said, you won't appreciate the seriousness till you or a loved one has it, I certainly didn't at first, but learned my lesson fast. They're projecting 200K people dead by summer and I would suggest to anybody being defiant and not taking personal responsibility seriously ... you know, there are probably people in NYC still waiting to bury their loved ones and to the rednecks in my parts that won't wear masks ... you know if you make everybody at the liquor store sick, it might not be around forever

I agree because there are people who are asymptomatic. I've never known anyone who had the flu and they said, "I didn't know I had the flu".

That's a great statement, we may not always agree on IU BBall, but that is an insightful statement

Reactions: cryano
How can you be so certain it backfired when it's not over, yet? Maybe it's just getting warmed up, as intended. First came change, then came presidential upheaval, then came...NEW WORLD ORDER. Did someone say "sports"?

What do you mean, is it intended to do more damage, kill more people? For the record, I'm a die hard liberal, but I do believe this thing is manufactured, whether it was intended to be released or an accident. It is not a two week thing either like the flu, believe me, it's been weeks and we are still fatigued, and we're not that old.

Reactions: 76-1 and cryano
What do you mean, is it intended to do more damage, kill more people? For the record, I'm a die hard liberal, but I do believe this thing is manufactured, whether it was intended to be released or an accident. It is not a two week thing either like the flu, believe me, it's been weeks and we are still fatigued, and we're not that old.
Why do you think some people have it with little to know symptoms while others like you and your wife experience a “shit-kicker”, yet others die? Maybe the virus is multi-pronged beast. You’ve seen photos of the red projections. Maybe each prong has a different virulence, depending on which prong sticks you, determines your ability to combat it’s invasive force. With every country in the world having a scientific team working on it, it seems like we should know something more about it by now from somebody. Maybe someone knows, someone affiliated with a country and they’re not telling others. I think something was released on purpose. The timing is too impeccable. The definitive answer lies somewhere hidden on the grassy knoll in Dallas, it seems.

Reactions: cryano
Why do you think some people have it with little to know symptoms while others like you and your wife experience a “shit-kicker”, yet others die? Maybe the virus is multi-pronged beast. You’ve seen photos of the red projections. Maybe each prong has a different virulence, depending on which prong sticks you, determines your ability to combat it’s invasive force. With every country in the world having a scientific team working on it, it seems like we should know something more about it by now from somebody. Maybe someone knows, someone affiliated with a country and they’re not telling others. I think something was released on purpose. The timing is too impeccable. The definitive answer lies somewhere hidden on the grassy knoll in Dallas, it seems.
1318321d1584701272-covid-19-has-brought-out-tinfoil-hat-crowd-again-tf2.jpg

a. manufactured- absolutely. No coincidence that their Viral superlab was in the same town. Anyone who still struggles with this lives in a fairy tale world. The bat soup/market story was typical China disinformation. Complete bullshit and the WHO ran with it to protect China.
b. released intentionally...I struggle with this because if that is true, then is it safe to say that China declared biological war on the entire world? Because that's kinda how this is playing out. And if "yes"...then what does the world do? Sorry, China needs to pay through the ass to clean this up, and yet they hoarded PPE in January and profited big time. Something really stinks here and it's getting lost in the news cycles as we get bombarded nightly with defunding police and tearing down statues.

When it first came out in the news that China, upon the first cases flaring up in Wuhan, shut down all domestic flights from Wuhan to Hong Kong/Beijing/Shanghai etc...but still allowed international fights to proceed (until we shut them down on our end).....that points to a reality that is pretty damn ugly. If you wanted COVID to spread across the globe, while minimizing the effects at home, is that not exactly the actions you would take? And is that not actually passive bio-war on the rest of the world?

I'll stop there, because this is not a political board, and it's about to explode into one....

Last edited:
a. manufactured- absolutely. No coincidence that their Viral superlab was in the same town. Anyone who still struggles with this lives in a fairy tale world. The bat soup/market story was typical China disinformation. Complete bullshit and the WHO ran with it to protect China.
b. released intentionally...I struggle with this because if that is true, then is it safe to safe that China declared biological war on the entire world? Because that's kinda how this is playing out. And if "yes"...then what does the world do? Sorry, China needs to pay through the ass to clean this up, and yet they hoarded PPE in January and profited big time. Something really stinks here and it's getting lost in the news cycles as we get bombarded nightly with defunding police and tearing down statues.

When it first came out in the news that China, upon the first cases flaring up in Wuhan, shut down all domestic flights from Wuhan to Hong Kong/Beijing/Shanghai etc...but still allowed international fights to proceed (until we shut them down on our end).....that points to a reality that is pretty damn ugly. If you wanted COVID to spread across the globe, while minimizing the effects at home, is that not exactly the actions you would take? And is that not actually passive bio-war on the rest of the world?

I'll stop there, because this is not a political board, and it's about to explode into one....
The whole Covid response, not just from China, but from around the globe seems quieter now than what it should be, given that “we’re all in this together”. I’ve often wondered if the government knows more than what they’re letting on. Something just doesn’t seem right with everyone just so uptight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT