ADVERTISEMENT

Instant gratification

IU Scott

Hall of Famer
Jun 28, 2014
Greenfield Indiana
To me a major problem with sports fans today is the need for instant gratification. No more are fans interested in the process of a building a program. If you don't win right away they need to blame someone and have to take it out on someone. Is it because there attention span is so short that they can't wait to see how things work out.

I get we all want to win but to some it seems like they think it there right to have their program win. I just wish fans would be like it use to where they did not feel the need to bash the team or coach after every game. Just relax and see how the next couple of years work out before you decide on who is the right fit here.

That's an easy thing to say now that it looks like that is exactly what I fans are going to have to do, be patient and put up with at least a couple years of sub-par performance waiting for the right mix of players. Also, fans are always quick to blame the previous coach. Crean did not leave the cupboard bare, the players who left early did. Any coach not named Calipari or Krzyzewski would have trouble after 3 early NBA defections. A coach that gets fired doesn't have much coming back or he wouldn't be as likely to get fired. He gets fired when there is no hope so it only makes sense the next guy up is going to have a difficult go at it initially. With IU, we've had too many coaching changes, too often. Sure, there are exceptions and a few coaches do well right out of the gate. Sometimes the basketball gods just smile, but more often not.

To me a major problem with sports fans today is the need for instant gratification. No more are fans interested in the process of a building a program. If you don't win right away they need to blame someone and have to take it out on someone. Is it because there attention span is so short that they can't wait to see how things work out.

I get we all want to win but to some it seems like they think it there right to have their program win. I just wish fans would be like it use to where they did not feel the need to bash the team or coach after every game. Just relax and see how the next couple of years work out before you decide on who is the right fit here.

It’s going to be fun watching these kids develop this year.

Land Romeo, IU will be just fine....

Reactions: mazz

You could be talking about Crean, or Sampson or Davis.... and it would read the same. You are asking for a lack of accountability from the highest paid employee in the State of Indiana. It's not going to go that way. Indiana budgets a ton of money for basketball and there is a long tradition of representing the Hoosier state and being the "pride of Indiana" with a winning tradition.
The cupboard is not "bare" as the saying goes. We have senior starters, not Daniel Moore. A building of the program may take a little time, but waiting 2 years to assess the state of the program is absurd.

Reactions: Paterfamilias
You could be talking about Crean, or Sampson or Davis.... and it would read the same. You are asking for a lack of accountability from the highest paid employee in the State of Indiana. It's not going to go that way. Indiana budgets a ton of money for basketball and there is a long tradition of representing the Hoosier state and being the "pride of Indiana" with a winning tradition.
The cupboard is not "bare" as the saying goes. We have senior starters, not Daniel Moore. A building of the program may take a little time, but waiting 2 years to assess the state of the program is absurd.

Our “seniors” had 10 of our 18 Turnovers last night?

It’s not bare, but i Rather have Moore than Newkirk

That's an easy thing to say now that it looks like that is exactly what I fans are going to have to do, be patient and put up with at least a couple years of sub-par performance waiting for the right mix of players. Also, fans are always quick to blame the previous coach. Crean did not leave the cupboard bare, the players who left early did. Any coach not named Calipari or Krzyzewski would have trouble after 3 early NBA defections. A coach that gets fired doesn't have much coming back or he wouldn't be as likely to get fired. He gets fired when there is no hope so it only makes sense the next guy up is going to have a difficult go at it initially. With IU, we've had too many coaching changes, too often. Sure, there are exceptions and a few coaches do well right out of the gate. Sometimes the basketball gods just smile, but more often not.
Yes but Crean did teach these players to bring the ball up the court as fast as possible and turn the ball over. That is why they continue to do the same thing.

Our “seniors” had 10 of our 18 Turnovers last night?

It’s not bare, but i Rather have Moore than Newkirk
Jones just needs to step up his play so he can be out there because Newkirk is not a pg. I know Jones isn’t either but maybe then the turnovers go down.

Is it really just a matter of instant gratification, or do inflated and unrealistic expectations also play a large part in this, including your own commentary here?

Reactions: Tony79
It’s going to be fun watching these kids develop this year.

Land Romeo, IU will be just fine....
Landing Romeo might provide the instant gratification, but he'll be gone after a year. Call it a basketball sugar high.

The fun will be, as you said, watching these kinds (current freshmen, next year's freshmen, and the following year's freshmen) develop. Lay down a foundation where we're consistently good, year in and year out. Then we can talk about busting out in the tournament.

I know he wasn't Division 1 caliber, but I really enjoyed Daniel Moore. I also know that wasn't your point, but you made me think of a kid that I really rooted for. Do you or anyone else know what he is doing now?

I'm going with Archies second class as sophomores.
Before things really start to change.
I'm at tonight's game.
We have bunch of low IQ basketball players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT