ADVERTISEMENT

Insight Bowl Restaurant/Mill Avenue Thread . . .

FWbigred

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jan 8, 2002
For the benefit of posters, please post good restaurants, shopping and any other family-oriented info in the Tempe or Phoenix area.
This post was edited on 12/5 5:05 PM by FWbigred

Steaks/Chicken Restaurant

Make sure you go to Don & Charlie's in Scottsdale and make reservations!!

Great sports memorabilia and a Phoenix-area hub for Midwesterners.

Steaks, chicken, ribs, etc...fantastic food.

El Chorro and other places

My wife and I were just out to Scottsdale for a few days earlier this fall, and we ate at this nice place at the base of Camelback Mountain called El Chorro. Good food. A tad pricey. But you have the option of sitting outside and watching the sun disappear behind the mesas that surround you.

Also, if you want a good place to kick back after dinner and have a couple drinks or dessert, there's a place in Phoenix called "A Different Point of View."

It's part of, I think, a Hyatt resort -- some big hotel resort -- but is open to those not staying there as well. Here's the thing, though ... it's at the top of a mountain/mesa, so the drive up is literally steep.

Valet parking when you get to the top. Then, you go into the place and they have a huge back deck area where you can sit, have dessert and drinks and look out over the city of Phoenix at night.

Also, if there's a large group of you (say an alumni club or something) that's all going out together, there's another place in Phoenix called the Wrigley Mansion, located near the Biltmore.

It's one of former Cubs owner (and gum guy) Charles Wrigley's pads (he had several across the country. It was also owned by a musician and some others after Wrigley. Anyway, it's now a popular tourist destination and -- when we were there -- we had dinner served in the banquet room. Of course, that was part of a business convention and some financial services company flitted the bill for the whole thing. It had to be off the charts for price, because dinner was steak and lobster, plus dessert and drinks.

However, it'd still be a cool place to tour for an hour or so.

I hope to be making this trip, as well ... so have fun out there Hoosiers.

Wrigly Mansion

about 15 years ago, my wife's old law firm almost bought it. AC cost and repairs we just way too high.

A couple of very good local places to eat near Mill Ave.

House of Tricks (locally called "Tricks") and Cafe Boa are locally owned and both very good. Both are just off Mill Ave. Tricks can be pricy (insert own joke here). Cafe Boa is Mediterranean/Italian and Tricks is good old American fare. If you go - I would suggest reservations.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT