ADVERTISEMENT

Inside the Hall - Athlon/Lindy's Pick IU to finish 7th in BIG - TJD named First Team Pre-season All-American

rikki-tikka-tava

All-American
Jul 17, 2002

Yeah, yeah - tip the damn ball already.

Given six new Players on the Team - three Ringers, at least one 'fab' Freshman, and two able+ bigmen - PLUS a phenomenal and phenomenally capable Coaching Staff (Ringers ALL), makes it really hard to suppress a 'sky's the limit' notion. So I won't even try.

I see IU competing for the Conference Title. Hardly possible not to be enamored/encouraged by the speed and seamless elegance of IU's coaching/recruiting/roster transition these last five months. Same applies to watching the coherence and execution and ability manifest in the two Bahamas Games. What's not to like? Hell, this Team may have five-star walk-ons (they're part of what makes it happen/real, not all of which is on the Court). Group of hungry and increasingly able veterans. And everyone feeling good and smiling at their place in the World. What can't they do?

Okay, Pollyanna aside, am still trying to encapsulate the magnitude of the new Staff and Coach Woodson in particular. If anything, seems like the NCAA Game is simpler, but if he's a Teacher, it's all to the good. Is it unrealistic to think that he just kills it and creates a Team that is far more than the sum of its parts? After his time in Atlanta & NYC, no reason (I can see) to expect anything less than everyone playing at their very peak - and together as well. If that's the case (or even a reasonable version thereof), going to be a very good year. Maybe even legendary. Will settle for epic, brilliant, killer, etc.

Run Hoosiers Run.

And now a message from the Goddess -

Last edited:
Hope Riki is more accurate than he was last season . . .

Season starts today and expectations are...varied. Roster is solid if a bit young but with much improved depth, no injuries or lingering conditions, some fresh coaching blood, couple of five stars along with the New Jersey HS POY, bounty of guards, orange no longer in vogue and the National Tournament is scheduled to take place in the backyard. Sounds good. No exhibitions to pressure test the Team, identify and work on issues against anyone other than Teammates or compare pros and cons of different rotations, first true tests come in road environments and the pandemic (which has already hit over 10% of DI Teams) has yet to reach its third and highest plateau (to date). Not so good.

Until they play a few Games there are really only questions. That won't stop/inhibit many from making sweeping statements, dire prognostications and generally damning the Program before the Season has even really begun, or conversely proclaiming that this year's IU Team is bound for the FF, but it's all gas until there's an actual body of work to judge against real competition. So, what are those questions? For my part:

1) What's the offensive and defensive effect of replacing Justin, Devonte and De'Ron? Justin was great on D, want to believe that Race, Jerome and Jordan are up to the task, De'Ron hardly played enough in relief of Brunk to make a huge difference, and seems that with the backcourt reinforcements and an extra year for IU's veterans, defense should eventually surpass where it left off at the end of last Season which was pretty good. Offensively, expect that TJD takes a solid step forward in production, same for Jerome and Race, and that the backcourt produces much better than last year both in terms of driving and from deep. Not enough to just make up the 20+ pts./game represented by departing Players, this Team needs to score more and more efficiently than last Season.

Miller was talking about limiting TOs as the most important thing for this Team - that in itself could translate into an extra 10-20+ pts. a game.

2) How much off-season improvement is there in individual efficiency? Does anybody make a significant jump (a la VO) from the previous year? Potential is there for almost all the vets, expect it to be something of a given for TJD, but keen to see about Rob, Armaan, Jerome and Reverend Durham.

3) How good are the freshmen out of the gate? By all accounts this is a really solid and maybe even special class. Most of the buzz is about Lander but am intrigued by the others and especially Geronimo. Along with assassin point guards am partial to wings that can slash to the rack and give other Teams fits on defense. Justin mostly only filled half the role despite his hops, should be interesting to see how Jordan (and Jerome & Race) fill the vacancy.

4) Assuming the backcourt rotation is six deep (per Coach Miller), does IU run a lot of three-guard rotation, and more importantly, can they effect the kind of offensive production that was so wanting most of last year? Don't think Franklin and Phinisee are the Players they were last year as both appear much bigger and stronger, Miller says their shooting from range (and Durham's) is improved, and the freshmen all seem to have some proficiency from deep. If true and they can pair that with enough ball movement and penetration (without the TOs) to disrupt defenses could be a lot of fun to watch.

5) Now that he has the personnel, does Archie's Team rise to meet expectations? Unless for some reason(s) the wheels come off by mid-Season and it all ends up in the ditch, think it's absurd to draw any conclusion or pass judgment before the Conference Tourney. In retrospect, have tended to be overly optimistic before Play begins - have reached a point where potential alone is no longer sufficient cause for excitement and any anticipation is of a rather sober variety. Just show me damnit. Want to see a brand of play in line with the best tradition of IU Basketball. If Coach Miller is 'all that', should become apparent this Season given the strength and depth of Roster. See him as a huge upgrade over the last guy, like his grounded in the Game no-nonsense straight-shooter approach, emphasis on defense, general intensity/demeanor and the simple fact that he doesn't sound like a used-car salesman trying to sell something he doesn't fully understand. But it's time. At a minimum want and expect IU to finish the Season ranked Top 20 nationally with some serious momentum. Likely won't be among those calling for his head if that doesn't happen, but any belief that he is 'the one' will migrate from positivity to skepticism.

So can we get to Tip-off already? Go IU!

Don't spasm - it's unbecoming and way premature for hysterics and summary judgment.

When was the last time anyone saw IU play defense as well as they did last night?

When has IU been this good defensively this early in the Season?

How long has it been since IU had a defense that was rated top 20 nationally? (KenPom ranks IU's as 12th)

Am of a mind that the offense will come as the Season and Players/Coaches progress. IU's guards are not remotely "horrendous". Often not finishing well at the rim and have yet to find the range from deep, but they are tough, all in and are only going to get better. Also believe that last night showed that IU learned a lot from playing Texas and quickly became a much better Team because of it. Finally will venture that by Season's end this Team will be able to compete with anyone in the country. Try and enjoy the ride.

Athlon nor any one else really has an option other than middle of the pack cheese sandwich sorta stuff. All of us hope for better and see a lot of things we like, but they have to get several games behind them to see if the culture stciks and if they can create an identity.

Nationally, NIL is going to affect some locker rooms (particularly among the top tier teams) and the coaches that manage this will have an advantage as well. A new variable indeed.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
Athlon nor any one else really has an option other than middle of the pack cheese sandwich sorta stuff. All of us hope for better and see a lot of things we like, but they have to get several games behind them to see if the culture stciks and if they can create an identity.

Nationally, NIL is going to affect some locker rooms (particularly among the top tier teams) and the coaches that manage this will have an advantage as well. A new variable indeed.
This*

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
I’m hopin for a 10-1 non conf? 12-8/13-7 B1G for an top 5 conf finish hopefully.
Who do you have us losing to in non con? 8 games should be easy wins (please no 1st season like Archie). St John’s has some decent players, but really no depth and it’s at home.

Playing at the Carrier dome is always tough, but this game will come down to defending the 3pt line. They don’t really have any big guys, so I would imagine they start Swider and Jimmy Boheim at the 4 and 5. Both can shoot but Race and Trayce should dominate the paint.

ND is actually pretty similar to Syracuse. They will live and die by the 3. They have a little better interior duo since they added Atkinson who was the Ivy League POY two years ago. They are very shallow down low though.

I’m optimistic that we go 11-0 in non con. Not trying to overhype this team, it’s just a very favorable schedule.

I think we will be 13-7 in conference.

Reactions: IUgradman
They will this year. Bet a lot of money on it. Thank me later.
I do thank you,for the videos but I won't know much about Woodson's coaching until I see a few full games.
No one has any idea if he can coach a close game to a win against a good team.

I do thank you,for the videos but I won't know much about Woodson's coaching until I see a few full games.
No one has any idea if he can coach a close game to a win against a good team.

I got maybe 4 or 5 shots where I focused in on him couching (will post them all on Twitter eventually). I was so happy to see the guys engaged, listening, and eye contact.

woody also looked scary while delivering the message. He is someone I think all the guys show the utmost respect too. I know for a fact that wasn’t the case with Archie.

I believe a lot of what has to do with winning in college is wanting to run through a wall for the coach. We had that some with crean but they were running through a wall off a Cliff. We had 0 of it with Archie.

With the new guys and TJD I think we have a group of leaders that will pull everyone to run through that wall. The passion and pride in the Bahamas on the court is what has me so pumped up.

IU fans aren’t stupid, and create energy at certain times during the game. The team fed off those situations in a ballroom. The home court advantage at IU will be a thing of beauty. No chance we lose more than one or 2 at home. Good shot to go undefeated tho.

The writers for those magazines judge 100% by what they read happened last year. They don't watch the games or follow recruiting for every school. They also don't have the forward thinking to take into account the new additions, the change to a more modern offense, or a coach/program that has the looks of finally being competent.

It's why they are almost never right about the improvement of teams. With an improved Lander, the addition of Tamar Bates and Parker Stewart, as well as a returning all American in Trayce anything less than 5th should be considered a disappointment.

As someone that usually stands on the "wait and see" side of things, I expect this team to compete for the conference crown.

I was surprised the sec was the top conference.
We need Bates to take a run at freshman mvp, and another guard to make all big ten.

The writers for those magazines judge 100% by what they read happened last year. They don't watch the games or follow recruiting for every school. They also don't have the forward thinking to take into account the new additions, the change to a more modern offense, or a coach/program that has the looks of finally being competent.

It's why they are almost never right about the improvement of teams. With an improved Lander, the addition of Tamar Bates and Parker Stewart, as well as a returning all American in Trayce anything less than 5th should be considered a disappointment.

As someone that usually stands on the "wait and see" side of things, I expect this team to compete for the conference crown.
The Bahamas trip was just what a new staff needed. They have a better idea of where they are and who can play in the new system. Players that looked good such as Geronimo and Bates aren't included by these predictions. The Woodson and the staff's effect on the team may be underestimated. By all accounts, the defense and leadership looked to be much improved.

I think optimism is warranted for the program. Just the increased maturity can make a big difference, but that applies to everybody else too, right?. Last year I thought the coaching staff was failing to motivate the players. I hope this year and this staff turns that around. Sometimes it’s not the coaches, but it’s the wrong mix of kids that creates the problems. Let’s hope that the personnel changes make a positive contribution. Right now, I’d say it looks much better this year.

As far as the BIG, I think everyone wil be chasing Michigan. The second tier might be an improved Purdue team, and an Illinois team that’s starts to play to their potential. Maryland and MSU are always tough? ..,except MSU wasn't so last year. Has Izzo lost his touch? Here is where I’d put IU, if all the right parts and pieces come together. How do they compare with Maryland and MSU? If they fall just short of those two, but shade OSU, that is 6th place. Realistically, that’s about where I’d expect them to fall. I’d really like to see IU overtake MSU in the standings, but I don’t expect it this year. 6th is Not bad for a first year HC, and should get to the dance.

:cool:

I think optimism is warranted for the program. Just the increased maturity can make a big difference, but that applies to everybody else too, right?. Last year I thought the coaching staff was failing to motivate the players. I hope this year and this staff turns that around. Sometimes it’s not the coaches, but it’s the wrong mix of kids that creates the problems. Let’s hope that the personnel changes make a positive contribution. Right now, I’d say it looks much better this year.
This season though, get back into the Ncaa Tournament. Doesent matter what seed you get, its all about matchups and luck.
As far as the BIG, I think everyone wil be chasing Michigan. The second tier might be an improved Purdue team, and an Illinois team that’s starts to play to their potential. Maryland and MSU are always tough? ..,except MSU wasn't so last year. Has Izzo lost his touch? Here is where I’d put IU, if all the right parts and pieces come together. How do they compare with Maryland and MSU? If they fall just short of those two, but shade OSU, that is 6th place. Realistically, that’s about where I’d expect them to fall. I’d really like to see IU overtake MSU in the standings, but I don’t expect it this year. 6th is Not bad for a first year HC, and should get to the dance.

:cool:
I think 10-1 non conf and 12-8/13-7 for a 22-9/23-8 and 6th place in conferenc ewould be a great goal this season. Get TJD some great NIL contracts and have him come back and lets make a run at top 10 and top 3 in conference one season from now.

Reactions: mathboy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT