ADVERTISEMENT

Injury list...

82IUGraduate

Freshman
Aug 7, 2006
This year has really been a tough one.
Here are the players that i have heard about:
Patrick, Simmons, Sykes, Westbrook, Ball, Harris x 2, Hale, Morris, Natee, Riggons, Hunt, Thompson, Thomas, Gest, Ellison, Ramsey, Knight, Cronk, Stepaniak, Minor, Philyor, Hoff, Friend, Baker, Cook, Fant, Hendershot and and maybe a few more I don't know about. Some of these players may have only missed a game or two but still had a significant injury to force them to miss action. I know other teams have injuries, but we have been hit with a lot this year. Have to feel a sense of pride knowing what this group has gone through yet still has come to play hard each week. I know it is not what most of us expected, but i feel this might have been a lot different season without the hard luck.
Go Hoosiers!

Patrick, Simmons, Sykes, Westbrook, Ball, Harris x 2, Hale, Morris, Natee, Riggons, Hunt, Thompson, Thomas, Gest, Ellison, Ramsey, Knight, Cronk, Stepaniak, Minor, Philyor, Hoff, Friend, Baker, Cook, Fant, Hendershot and and maybe a few more I don't know about. Some of these players may have only missed a game or two but still had a significant injury to force them to miss action. I know other teams have injuries, but we have been hit with a lot this year. Have to feel a sense of pride knowing what this group has gone through yet still has come to play hard each week. I know it is not what most of us expected, but i feel this might have been a lot different season without the hard luck.
Go Hoosiers!

IU was so banged up at WR last week that Chris Gajcak was in playing WR.
Which begs the question:

What happened to the 13th ranked player in Ohio 2016? Jonah Morris?

Reactions: iueyedoc99
injuries do happen to every team, but some yrs you get an epidemic, and some yrs you get off lighter.

there does seem to be a strong correlation as well, to how your yr went.

IU was so banged up at WR last week that Chris Gajcak was in playing WR.
Which begs the question:

What happened to the 13th ranked player in Ohio 2016? Jonah Morris?

I see him listed on the roster. Must be injured or needs to turn up the wick.

Last edited:
Go Hoosiers!

I wonder if the medical staff has changed their protocol because of the Wilson accusations. It may be more conservative on when players should and shouldn’t play. I don’t have any inside information, but it’s something I would expect to happen given the information that came out last year.

Reactions: mk23
He was on the sidelines in shorts at the beginning on the year. Thought I saw him there in uniform recently but could have been mistaken.

If he was injured at the beginning of the year he probably lost a lot of practice reps which most likely put him behind... Just a guess...

Reactions: lorenaimee
He was on the sidelines in shorts at the beginning on the year. Thought I saw him there in uniform recently but could have been mistaken.

If he was injured at the beginning of the year he probably lost a lot of practice reps which most likely put him behind... Just a guess...
He was on the sidelines in full uniform at the Wisconsin game.

Reactions: 76-1
Our schedule this year hasn't helped. Open the season with OSU so you can't rest anyone. Lost the bye week to a hurricane and had to play 10 straight. Had a front end loaded big boy schedule. Can't rest the dinged up if you want to break through. Just think if we could start with Purdue, Illinois, and Rutgers. Maybe things would be different.
Well play the hand that's dealt. UI is next. Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: mk23 and 76-1
I personally hate this schedule. If they're going to go with this type of schedule as the norm, I'll seriously think of doing something else with my fall Saturdays.

This schedule set the team up for failure, I'm not into that. IU would've had a much, much better shot of beating both, MI and MSU, if they were spread throughout the schedule.

I personally hate this schedule. If they're going to go with this type of schedule as the norm, I'll seriously think of doing something else with my fall Saturdays.

This schedule set the team up for failure, I'm not into that. IU would've had a much, much better shot of beating both, MI and MSU, if they were spread throughout the schedule.
We are BIG fodder for others. They don't schedule with us in mind. As my old roommate said IU is disposable to the conference in Football.

Reactions: mk23
All this begs the question - what plays the most significant role in this?

1. Front-loaded killer schedule.
2. Medical staff hyper-concerns post CKW.
3. Change in strength coaches/regimen.
4. Blind luck. (aka IU Football luck)

Also, even if he was 100% now, its a bit late in the year to burn a RS. Only situation where burning a RS this late in the season makes sense is for QB.

All this begs the question - what plays the most significant role in this?

1. Front-loaded killer schedule.
2. Medical staff hyper-concerns post CKW.
3. Change in strength coaches/regimen.
4. Blind luck. (aka IU Football luck)
I think it's mostly a combination of #1 and #4. Playing big, physical teams close late into games means your top guys are playing a lot of snaps. That increases the odds and adds to general wear and tear. Some of it is just the breaks. I don't think the kind of injuries we've had have much to do with the strength regimen or extra cautiousness. A lot of injuries require protocol and testing these days, and those who can't pass aren't cleared. I suspect that's the case pretty much everywhere.

We actually have survived our injury situation better than I expected which speaks to better depth. In the past, we would have been moving multiple players to new positions mid-season and burning many more redshirts. We've still done that some, but to a much lesser extent than in years past.

About twenty years ago I had a chance encounter with Lee Corso at O'Hare airport and we talked about the Holiday Bowl team (I was a student at that time and my roommate was a walk-on DB - who Corso actually remembered, surprising the hell out of me). Anyway, he talked about how few injuries that team suffered, starting the same guys on both offense and defense in nearly every game. He really believed that was key to their success, and that some of his other IU teams might have equaled that had they managed to stay healthier. He talked about the difficulty of recruiting adequate depth at IU.

I think it's mostly a combination of #1 and #4. Playing big, physical teams close late into games means your top guys are playing a lot of snaps. That increases the odds and adds to general wear and tear. Some of it is just the breaks. I don't think the kind of injuries we've had have much to do with the strength regimen or extra cautiousness. A lot of injuries require protocol and testing these days, and those who can't pass aren't cleared. I suspect that's the case pretty much everywhere.

We actually have survived our injury situation better than I expected which speaks to better depth. In the past, we would have been moving multiple players to new positions mid-season and burning many more redshirts. We've still done that some, but to a much lesser extent than in years past.

About twenty years ago I had a chance encounter with Lee Corso at O'Hare airport and we talked about the Holiday Bowl team (I was a student at that time and my roommate was a walk-on DB - who Corso actually remembered, surprising the hell out of me). Anyway, he talked about how few injuries that team suffered, starting the same guys on both offense and defense in nearly every game. He really believed that was key to their success, and that some of his other IU teams might have equaled that had they managed to stay healthier. He talked about the difficulty of recruiting adequate depth at IU.
If I recall correctly Corso lost his top 4 running backs to injury that year, resulting in his having to play a little known back named Mike Harkrader who ended up tearng it up on the field including the Holiday Bowl. I can still remember him breaking across the field, catching a pass in stride and racing for a touchdown.
He was a a gutsy kid who ended up with bone fractures in both legs while playing for IU.

I see him listed on the roster. Must be injured or needs to turn up the wick.

He’s been on the field on ST. Saw him mentioned as ST player of the game or at least recognized by TA.

It’s a shame he doesn’t play. Sure passes the eye test, but so far our top rated recruit would appear to be a bust.

Edit: just checked it and he was the co ST POTG at Illinois (with Whitehead). It should be a reality check to JM that 10 players caught a ball for IU in that game and he can’t get on the field. PT is there for the taking.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly Corso lost his top 4 running backs to injury that year, resulting in his having to play a little known back named Mike Harkrader who ended up tearng it up on the field including the Holiday Bowl. I can still remember him breaking across the field, catching a pass in stride and racing for a touchdown.
He was a a gutsy kid who ended up with bone fractures in both legs while playing for IU.
1976 was the year Harkrader came from 4th on the depth chart to first, ultimately breaking both of his legs in the season ending win at Purdue. He scored in the Holiday Bowl, but it was a short run, IIRC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT