ADVERTISEMENT

Indy 500 Thread

iubud

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2003
I don't know how many people are fans of the race, but I thought I would start a post to see who goes to the race and get some discussion going.

I got hooked when my dad first took me to the track when I was 5 years old. My son was hooked at 7 and this is the only racing event he pays attention to. This will be my son's 20 consecutive race with me and my 28th.

Would anyone rather see Mario run 20 laps and pull the car into the pits than see Buddy Lazier ride around in a crappy car until it breaks down? Buddy is supposed to be there, but his car hasn't been on the track yet. He likely won't turn a lap until Friday.

Would rather watch
giphy.gif

This will be my 21st in a row. It's my favorite day of the year. I've got family coming in from all over the country. We meet at my grandparent's for breakfast at around 7:00, and then are on the way to the track by 7:30. There will be 18 of us this year. Fingers are crossed for weather like today!

Reactions: MillerTime
10 of us go every year. Family from Maryland make it out for the race and we have a great time. I've been going off and on since I was in elementary school (I'm 43 now) and have been going consistently for the last 15 years or so. I love the race. Now, having said that, once the Indy 500 is over, I don't follow it at all until the next 500 rolls around. I do feel it's lost a lot of what it used to be. Bump day used to be fantastic. I remember guys waiting in line, hoping to make it onto the track before 6:00 pm for one more shot to qualify. Just don't have that anymore.

But we park in the same people's yard every year, down a few growlers, put money in and draw names for the family pool. It's a great day for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT