ADVERTISEMENT

INDOT advises to use alternate routes

I've always told anyone who would listen that INDOT "had to be" run by a bunch of skin of their teeth, 2.0 GPA carrying, purdue engineering graduates...,o_O:confused: whose only real skill was that of finding a way to schedule work on SR37 to coincide with every IU football season date range since the late "60"s... :mad:Couldn't ever get it done during spring or summer..., always (oddly enough):cool: just had to wait until fall to fit it into the schedule... :(:eek:

I have no empirical data to back up my hypothesis but on a personal note I can only recall one occasion where I made the drive between Indianapolis and Bloomington completely cone free during football season... :mad::(:confused::cool:

INDOT is nothing if not consistent..., and this time they've outdone themselves (DWS)... Hey..., you aren't being paranoid if they really are out to get you...;):confused::cool::D

Reactions: CC Mac
I've always told anyone who would listen that INDOT "had to be" run by a bunch of skin of their teeth, 2.0 GPA carrying, purdue engineering graduates...,o_O:confused: whose only real skill was that of finding a way to schedule work on SR37 to coincide with every IU football season date range since the late "60"s... :mad:Couldn't ever get it done during spring or summer..., always (oddly enough):cool: just had to wait until fall to fit it into the schedule... :(:eek:

I have no empirical data to back up my hypothesis but on a personal note I can only recall one occasion where I made the drive between Indianapolis and Bloomington completely cone free during football season... :mad::(:confused::cool:

INDOT is nothing if not consistent..., and this time they've outdone themselves (DWS)... Hey..., you aren't being paranoid if they really are out to get you...;):confused::cool::D
I went to B'town last Saturday evening. Southbound 37 is completely ripped up in two different stretches with traffic diverted to northbound lanes. This means that there will be one lane of traffic each direction for two stretches totaling several miles between Martinsville and Bloomington. I would go early in the morning tomorrow or avoid at all cost. It will be this way all season.

Coming from Johnson County, I have used SR 135 from Morgantown to Nashville then 46 to Bloomington the past two years with no trouble ( some slowdowns getting through Nashville on those later fall Saturdays). However, work on a railroad crossing between Morgantown and Beanblossom has 135 closed with a detour through some winding county roads. You can use the detour to get back to 135 or take SR 45 into Bloomington through Unionville but allow for some extra time.

If I were coming from Indy or further north I would take 65 all the way to Columbus and 46 to B'town (if coming from NE of Indy) or take 67 to Spencer and 46 to Indy if coming from Indy NW.

No good options. Hopefully this mess is done by next season (how many years have we been saying that?) .

Thinking back to dealing with the bypass construction...it has been a few years. Mitch is laughing at us as.

On normal days, what is 46 like between Bloomington and Columbus? I have never been on that road. I assume it is a 2 lane with reduced speed limits/moving roadblocks. I have been curious if it is better than taking 37 on non-game days between Btown to Greenwood. I

On normal days, what is 46 like between Bloomington and Columbus? I have never been on that road. I assume it is a 2 lane with reduced speed limits/moving roadblocks. I have been curious if it is better than taking 37 on non-game days between Btown to Greenwood. I
Between Columbus and Nashville it's a very nice two lane road with plenty of passing opportunities. Between Nashville and Bloomington, it's a curvy cowpath, and if you get stuck in slow traffic there's no getting around it.

Reactions: 76-1
Between Columbus and Nashville it's a very nice two lane road with plenty of passing opportunities. Between Nashville and Bloomington, it's a curvy cowpath, and if you get stuck in slow traffic there's no getting around it.

That last stretch can be frustrating if you're behind schedule.

That Bloomington - Nashville section sounds like Bloomfield to Bloomington on 45. I am so glad with the completion of the southern leg of I69 that I won't ever have to deal with that slow line of cars to Btown. That could be almost as painful on game day as 37.

We took 37 north 2 years ago after the OSU game. It took us 1 hour to get out of Bloomington and 2 hours to get to Martinsville. Downtown Indy was a ghost town by the time we got to our hotel.

That Bloomington - Nashville section sounds like Bloomfield to Bloomington on 45.
Exactly. Perfect analogy. Although the Nashville stretch might be a little worse owing to all the tourists. We call 'em "leaf lookers." They like to lead the parade.

is not every so called alt route about twice as many miles of 2 lane as 37, even with construction.

and these alt routes aren't like choosing 37 or 67 between Martinsville and 465, where it's 6 of one or a half dozen of the other.

they are way out of the way if coming from Indy.

While painful now, it needs to get done and I think we would all rather have it done sooner rather than later. If INDOT had been in charge from the beginning as they should have been it would already have been done. I would hope that the next time someone suggests an arrangement such as what took place this will stand as a shining example of what not to do.

Reactions: IUgradman
is not every so called alt route about twice as many miles of 2 lane as 37, even with construction.

and these alt routes aren't like choosing 37 or 67 between Martinsville and 465, where it's 6 of one or a half dozen of the other.

they are way out of the way if coming from Indy.
How are they so called alternate routes? They are alternate routes. No one said they are ideal. It's either take those or sit in traffic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT