ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana to host Marian U for another exhibition

Definitely should be...these are the games to stretch the rotations, and the bench.
Yeah, I wish we saw CMW do a little more testing of various combos and lineups in early games like this. Very interested to see how we play with Galloway or Carlisle at the 2 and to at least test things with a more 4 out 1 in lineup with maybe both those 2 playing along with seeing Goode and the freshman too.

Yeah, I wish we saw CMW do a little more testing of various combos and lineups in early games like this. Very interested to see how we play with Galloway or Carlisle at the 2 and to at least test things with a more 4 out 1 in lineup with maybe both those 2 playing along with seeing Goode and the freshman too.
Shake the cobwebs off for the main rotation guys. Get them introduced to playing in Assembly Hall in front of fans. But then use the bulk of the minutes as an opportunity to see certain combinations of players that normally might not play a ton together. Carslisle, Newton, and Tucker together...Cupps and Rice playing alongside each other...whatever it may be. You never know when you'll see a spark of something, that you might not normally be able to see in practices.

Also, if Marian happens to have a guy or two that are really quick and good with the ball going to the basket...make sure to put guys like Mgbako or Tucker on them for a bit...get them some time working to keep quicker guys in front of them. That sort of thing.

And then blowing out the early regular season cupcakes is too important, as we now know, to mess around with the main lineups too much. So use the Exhibition games to tinker and test.

Reactions: T.M.P. and kkott
Shake the cobwebs off for the main rotation guys. Get them introduced to playing in Assembly Hall in front of fans. But then use the bulk of the minutes as an opportunity to see certain combinations of players that normally might not play a ton together. Carslisle, Newton, and Tucker together...Cupps and Rice playing alongside each other...whatever it may be. You never know when you'll see a spark of something, that you might not normally be able to see in practices.

Also, if Marian happens to have a guy or two that are really quick and good with the ball going to the basket...make sure to put guys like Mgbako or Tucker on them for a bit...get them some time working to keep quicker guys in front of them. That sort of thing.

And then blowing out the early regular season cupcakes is too important, as we now know, to mess around with the main lineups too much. So use the Exhibition games to tinker and test.
seems like most teams are also now doing "secret scrimmages", and don't think we did that last year, but if you can do it every year, I'd sure take advantage of it. Forget, but think PU played either UT or AR last year. AR I think.

this season. Will be cool to see Pat Knight on the sidelines for them. Should be a 40 point pounding.
Nice move to do this. I would hope IU and the Knight family continue to have a good relationship and remember the great 25 years and not the bad 25 years.

Side note: the Bob Knight Legacy X account, which I assume the family runs, posts a lot of cool old pictures.

seems like most teams are also now doing "secret scrimmages", and don't think we did that last year, but if you can do it every year, I'd sure take advantage of it. Forget, but think PU played either UT or AR last year. AR I think.
I believe Purdue plays Creighton this year.

I believe Purdue plays Creighton this year.
seems like that would be a more valuable preseason game than a Marian. Didn't IU play Cincy one year? Hope we're scheduling a game like this also.

seems like that would be a more valuable preseason game than a Marian. Didn't IU play Cincy one year? Hope we're scheduling a game like this also.
Also played Marquette a couple of times. Wisconsin Green Bay once as well? Or might have been Loyola IL.

If I were Woody...I'd push for some sort of West Coast team to travel out to for the secret exhibition. Try to emulate the west coast game/games we're going to have to play in B10. Maybe go play Arizona, or BYU/Utah type teams... I fly out West a handful of times a year for work, and its an adjustment every time. Maybe he and team would learn some do's and don'ts from such a trip?

the controlled secret scrimmages are very valuable. IU is making a mistake if they don't include one every year (which eliminates one exhibition game)

Reactions: 76-1 and kkott
the controlled secret scrimmages are very valuable. IU is making a mistake if they don't include one every year (which eliminates one exhibition game)
Well, as it stands there is only 1 exhibition game on tap so...........

Reactions: kkott
And they're technically secret srimmages...so we might not ever know about it?! So.....
LOL - true!
The way season tickets and parking were priced this year I really thought that we would have 20 home games. Maybe they were preparing for an open scrimmage (rumor was Tennessee) and counting on the rule change to allow paid attendance. But, that rule change did not come to fruition. Will be interesting to see if any refunds will be forthcoming as has happened in previous years.

And they're technically secret srimmages...so we might not ever know about it?! So.....
the secret scrimmages are never that secret.
and the players of the two teams always focus on the open scrimmage at the end. while the coaching staffs focus on the controlled clock management segments prior to that point.

Reactions: eddy4iu and 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT