ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana State Starting Five Enter Portal . . .

You’d think some of those guys would look at other options. St Louis isn’t anything spectacular

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Most of them are following their coach.....who left for SLU.
no I get that part. It's the fact that ISU goes, in a span of 10 days, from completing a 30+ win season, the best season since Bird 79 (let me know if that's not true...I dont' have the energy to research), making to the NIT championship and losing in the closing seconds. ...to losing their coach and entire starting 5 to another program. Their program went from 'back to prominence' to 'in the shitter' in a matter of hours.

I guess the names on the front of the jerseys DON"T matter anymore.

no I get that part. It's the fact that ISU goes, in a span of 10 days, from completing a 30+ win season, the best season since Bird 79 (let me know if that's not true...I dont' have the energy to research), making to the NIT championship and losing in the closing seconds. ...to losing their coach and entire starting 5 to another program. Their program went from 'back to prominence' to 'in the shitter' in a matter of hours.

I guess the names on the front of the jerseys DON"T matter anymore.
Yeah tough deal for Indiana State for sure, but those kids committed to Schertz not Indiana State. Been that way for awhile.

Reactions: nichlee
I'm sure the players like ISU, but if your coach leaves and the new guy is totally different (that is TBD), then I don't know how you don't hit the portal and keep up the partnership with your old coach at a new school.

Robbie is from the Chicago burbs. I doubt he thought much about ISU until he got to his college bball decision, meaning his roots there just won't be that deep.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
been 30+ yrs for me...does TH still smell like fertilizer?

As for Schertz, I would have expected something a little bigger than SLU.
Maybe. SLU is paying him $2M/year, which is pretty good, and they have real NIL and some great new facilities. ISU revised their contract offer up to a rumored $750K, that's all they had.

This is a sizeable step up. He can still make a leap to a bigger school if he keeps doing well.

i didn't see any financial details, so yes...that does make sense.

Plus, he gets to leave Terre Haute. I'll just leave it at that.
Had he gotten into the tournament and made a nice little run I think he would have had better suitors. But SLU definitely has some decent basketball pedigree and has made the tournament as at-large twice in the last decade. He should do well there for a year or two especially if he keeps his ISU core.

Had he gotten into the tournament and made a nice little run I think he would have had better suitors. But SLU definitely has some decent basketball pedigree and has made the tournament as at-large twice in the last decade. He should do well there for a year or two especially if he keeps his ISU core.
What conference is SLU in?

Seriously doubt all 5 follow him to SLU.

1. SLU is a step up for Schertz, and that also implies there's a higher expectation. Why would HE want to run out the exact same 5 kids for a program that he knows needs to be better?

2. A couple of the more athletic kids on the ISU team will have high major possibilities, I'm sure. Seems like Conwell already does with IU. There's an intersection between Loyalty and NIL Value, for everyone. And I suspect a couple of them will cross that intersection for NIL money.

Seriously doubt all 5 follow him to SLU.

1. SLU is a step up for Schertz, and that also implies there's a higher expectation. Why would HE want to run out the exact same 5 kids for a program that he knows needs to be better?

2. A couple of the more athletic kids on the ISU team will have high major possibilities, I'm sure. Seems like Conwell already does with IU. There's an intersection between Loyalty and NIL Value, for everyone. And I suspect a couple of them will cross that intersection for NIL money.
Swope and Avila already following him and Kent is expected to join. Leaves Larry and Conwell. SLU has NIL money.

Swope and Avila already following him and Kent is expected to join. Leaves Larry and Conwell. SLU has NIL money.
I don't follow them...any of those that you mentioned that are SLU bound high major level players? What about Larry and Conwell?

I'm sure SLU has more than ISU...but they certainly don't have high major levels of NIL money.

I don't follow them...any of those that you mentioned that are SLU bound high major level players? What about Larry and Conwell?

I'm sure SLU has more than ISU...but they certainly don't have high major levels of NIL money.
Conwell is the get. Hes a fan of nicks and mother bears. 😉

Comparing St. Louis to Terrible Hut? Put the coin away no need for a flip.
People won't care about this, but your post reminded me of when my wife signed up for the Air Force her bus stopped off in Terre Haute. So I went and picked her up and we ate at Pizza Hut. I had locked my keyes in the car, but I noticed a car dealership next door and asked them if they had a way of getting into the car. A guy from the dealership came over and used that metal gadget to open the car up. So in some ways I could see where my then girlfriend could have thought, "I am dumping this loser because he locks his keys in the car" or maybe she was thinking, "He sure seems lucky so I am going to give him a chance".

Reactions: 75Plymouth
Conwell is the get. Hes a fan of nicks and mother bears. 😉
Is he high major level? Starter at IU level? Honestly no clue...he looks legit on highlights. And had some decent games against the best teams on their schedule... but again, never watched an actual game of theirs.

People won't care about this, but your post reminded me of when my wife signed up for the Air Force her bus stopped off in Terre Haute. So I went and picked her up and we ate at Pizza Hut. I had locked my keyes in the car, but I noticed a car dealership next door and asked them if they had a way of getting into the car. A guy from the dealership came over and used that metal gadget to open the car up. So in some ways I could see where my then girlfriend could have thought, "I am dumping this loser because he locks his keys in the car" or maybe she was thinking, "He sure seems lucky so I am going to give him a chance".
Probably more like..."I wish he'd take me to get good pizza".

Is he high major level? Starter at IU level? Honestly no clue...he looks legit on highlights. And had some decent games against the best teams on their schedule... but again, never watched an actual game of theirs.
Yes. Hes a really good player. Hes the guy off that team that is.

I’d like to see the school names gone.

I’d much rather it be like a club league. The Ft Wayne Acmes against the Evanston Gatorade’s .
That's a good idea. I think as the facade of the connection to any particular college fades, the money will too.

Yeah tough deal for Indiana State for sure, but those kids committed to Schertz not Indiana State. Been that way for awhile.
But entering the portal isn't a commitment to leave. It's smart for the players to have the option, ISU needs to get a coach and have him at least try to recruit them back.

Probably more like..."I wish he'd take me to get good pizza".
Back then Pizza Hut was a real treat. We didn't have one in Washington. When we got married we spent our wedding night at the Executive Inn in Vincenness. The next day we went to see my grandmother who lived in town and we ate at Pizza Hut. Some years ago we stayed in Vincenness and were in a hotel across the street from the Executive Inn which had been torn down. So I said to my wife, "We were probably 90 ft in the air so does that mean we joined the 90 ft club? She didn't laugh as hard as I did.

Mid Majors will be the minor league now. Any success will be short lived.
It makes you think coaches like Mark Few would've even more likely left to more prominent jobs in the early Gonzaga years when he and the program had not yet been established.

Most of them are following their coach.....who left for SLU.
I don't know what others think, but I am impressed with Scherz and that's a guy I would definitely want Dolson to talk with if we end up looking for a coach before he leaves SLU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT