ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana Sports Beat Recap: Ray Looze, Jim Reamer, Lilly King

allasley

All-American
Staff
Jun 21, 2019
Today's show consisted of Indiana's Swim and Dive coach Ray Looze, owner of Courtside Indiana Jim Reamer and Olympic Gold Medalist Lilly King.
Swimming has been one of the hardest hit sports in terms of training during the coronavirus outbreak and Looze noted that lakes are where some of the training will take place.

"From a physical standpoint, we are looking for lakes and pray for this weather that we’ve been having to warm those lakes up.”

For Lilly King, she has obviously had to adjust from just a few months away from the 2020 Summer Olympics to now having to wait another year. Training has been impacted but she isn't too worried about her ability to be ready for 2021.

"Honestly, it hasn’t really been too bad. It hasn’t quite hit me yet. It wasn’t like I was going to be done after 2020… I’m alright with it right now. It’s probably the first time I'm not in full training in my life so I’m just taking it easy.”

“I think we’re starting to realize that any training we are doing is still more than some other people. We are still quite a ways out so I’m not too worried yet.”

As for some of her goals for the Olympics, looking to set a few more World Records and Gold Medals is at the top of the list. She noted that 2024 has been a year that was her expected cutoff from the sport.

"I was always going to say 2024 was going to be the hard cutoff date but now it looks like 2024 is approaching faster than I thought it would…. I’m going to keep swimming as long as I have fun with it.”

Life after swimming? King mentioned she would love to be a teacher down the line after she has had time to relax when her career is over.

As for basketball recruiting, Indiana picked up a commitment in the 2021 class in Logan Duncomb on Tuesday. Jim Reamer touched on that.

"This is a great pickup and he [Duncomb] has great upside…. can play off of guys like that [Race Thompson and Trayce Jackson-Davis]. You don’t expect him to come in and produce right away though. He doesn't need to."

Indiana now turns its attention to Trey Kaufman as one of the top priorities in 2021. Reamer talked about if Kaufman's relationship with guys like Khristian Lander or Logan Duncomb could help the Hoosiers' chances.

"For me he has the highest ceiling in that 2021 class… Each kid is going to make up his own mind. If you’re Trey and you have a chance to be a pro, and I’m not even talking just the NBA, but a pro. Where can you go to develop, and be part of a rotation early and maybe even be a focal point as early as my sophomore year. And for him it’s a great fit for Indiana right now”

Reamer also talked about Blake Wesley out of Riley HS in South Bend. He noted how he would help address a lot of the shooting needs for Indiana. Reamer did say Wesley was 'no Leal in terms of his shooting ability' and is 'more like Victor Oladipo' with his athletic ability.

As always, you can listen to the show in its entirety in the tweet below.

Reactions: minneman
Today's show consisted of Indiana's Swim and Dive coach Ray Looze, owner of Courtside Indiana Jim Reamer and Olympic Gold Medalist Lilly King.
Swimming has been one of the hardest hit sports in terms of training during the coronavirus outbreak and Looze noted that lakes are where some of the training will take place.

"From a physical standpoint, we are looking for lakes and pray for this weather that we’ve been having to warm those lakes up.”

For Lilly King, she has obviously had to adjust from just a few months away from the 2020 Summer Olympics to now having to wait another year. Training has been impacted but she isn't too worried about her ability to be ready for 2021.

"Honestly, it hasn’t really been too bad. It hasn’t quite hit me yet. It wasn’t like I was going to be done after 2020… I’m alright with it right now. It’s probably the first time I'm not in full training in my life so I’m just taking it easy.”

“I think we’re starting to realize that any training we are doing is still more than some other people. We are still quite a ways out so I’m not too worried yet.”

As for some of her goals for the Olympics, looking to set a few more World Records and Gold Medals is at the top of the list. She noted that 2024 has been a year that was her expected cutoff from the sport.

"I was always going to say 2024 was going to be the hard cutoff date but now it looks like 2024 is approaching faster than I thought it would…. I’m going to keep swimming as long as I have fun with it.”

Life after swimming? King mentioned she would love to be a teacher down the line after she has had time to relax when her career is over.

As for basketball recruiting, Indiana picked up a commitment in the 2021 class in Logan Duncomb on Tuesday. Jim Reamer touched on that.

"This is a great pickup and he [Duncomb] has great upside…. can play off of guys like that [Race Thompson and Trayce Jackson-Davis]. You don’t expect him to come in and produce right away though. He doesn't need to."

Indiana now turns its attention to Trey Kaufman as one of the top priorities in 2021. Reamer talked about if Kaufman's relationship with guys like Khristian Lander or Logan Duncomb could help the Hoosiers' chances.

"For me he has the highest ceiling in that 2021 class… Each kid is going to make up his own mind. If you’re Trey and you have a chance to be a pro, and I’m not even talking just the NBA, but a pro. Where can you go to develop, and be part of a rotation early and maybe even be a focal point as early as my sophomore year. And for him it’s a great fit for Indiana right now”

Reamer also talked about Blake Wesley out of Riley HS in South Bend. He noted how he would help address a lot of the shooting needs for Indiana. Reamer did say Wesley was 'no Leal in terms of his shooting ability' and is 'more like Victor Oladipo' with his athletic ability.

As always, you can listen to the show in its entirety in the tweet below.

Jim Reamer. I do believe he was known as Bloom around these parts for quite a while.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT