ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana should give Archie Miller time, not make a beeline for his successor

I bet he’s referring to Dan JockItch and Gregg Doyle in regards to his media comments. Both should of shut the FK up years ago.

Good article by Mike DeCourcy.

He will have at minimum one more year of time and almost certainly two. We'll see if he can get it done or not.

The clock is ticking and his time is running out as it should. Maybe there has been progress in three years but IMO you need a microscope to find it.

As Pater stated the other day, I will paraphrase. If the same thing happens time after time, you have to look at preparation and motivation from the coach.

It seems he doesn't use analytics and is a "system" coach. Both of which is almost unheard of in this day and age. Makes one say WTF.

I still want him to succeed but the evidence is starting to point to the opposite conclusion.

The clock is ticking and his time is running out as it should. Maybe there has been progress in three years but IMO you need a microscope to find it.

As Pater stated the other day, I will paraphrase. If the same thing happens time after time, you have to look at preparation and motivation from the coach.

It seems he doesn't use analytics and is a "system" coach. Both of which is almost unheard of in this day and age. Makes one say WTF.

I still want him to succeed but the evidence is starting to point to the opposite conclusion.
He’ll survive another two years because expectations are more modest. His defenders here are examples of that reduced level of expectations. Apathy will do that.

Good article by Mike DeCourcy.

He will have at minimum one more year of time and almost certainly two. We'll see if he can get it done or not.
So after reading the article, obviously DeCourcy's point was that Indiana should be patient with Miller and keep him around. His arguments were that Miller still has some players recruited by previous coaches, and that a few really successful coaches were not successful by year 3.

Ok, but that's a really weak argument. I think IU will keep Miller at least 2 more years, because expectations within the administration of the school are low, and they don't want to have to pay out guaranteed money that Miller will receive.

I would argue, though, that IU should be further along at this point in Miller's coaching career at IU. I'm not sure that anyone could argue otherwise.

Also, I would argue that cutting ties with someone who doesn't seem to be improving the program (people like Doherty and Gillespie) is better done early that later.

Let's hope IU can get a couple of wins (starting tonight) on the road and hold serve at home to really show that progress is being made in the program.

The last thing I want is for the current IU Administration (above AD) to chose a new coach. They've proven to be really lousy at it. Let's hope Miller is the man and we see some kind of miraculous progress throughout the rest of this season.

Indiana is a mediocre program paying money for a top 10 coach. They should hire some HS coach from Indiana for $300,000 and the results would be the same as what they have now.

Last edited:
I like Archie and I want him to succeed badly, but 3.5 mil for what very well could be 3 straight years with no tourney is simply not acceptable. This was not a major rebuild.
We need to see results, very soon, but I'm not seeing much on the horizon.

There's been zero indication that Miller will eventually turn the program around as Beilein and Wright did. Zero! Other than Langford and Jackson-Davis, recruiting has been mediocre, and the will only get worse as Miller's future gets murky. It's incredible mis-management to have open roster spots and not at least one pure shooter.

So after reading the article, obviously DeCourcy's point was that Indiana should be patient with Miller and keep him around. His arguments were that Miller still has some players recruited by previous coaches, and that a few really successful coaches were not successful by year 3.

Ok, but that's a really weak argument. I think IU will keep Miller at least 2 more years, because expectations within the administration of the school are low, and they don't want to have to pay out guaranteed money that Miller will receive.

I would argue, though, that IU should be further along at this point in Miller's coaching career at IU. I'm not sure that anyone could argue otherwise.

Also, I would argue that cutting ties with someone who doesn't seem to be improving the program (people like Doherty and Gillespie) is better done early that later.

Let's hope IU can get a couple of wins (starting tonight) on the road and hold serve at home to really show that progress is being made in the program.

The last thing I want is for the current IU Administration (above AD) to chose a new coach. They've proven to be really lousy at it. Let's hope Miller is the man and we see some kind of miraculous progress throughout the rest of this season.
Don’t agree about program not improving. We were on a downward trend with Crean when CAM took over. We have a better conf record so far in every season over what Crean did his last season and right now we are trending upward. Our younger players are our best ones, and CAM has improved his winning % each year so far. He could blow that, and some want faster progress. I know I have been frustrated with some of these performances, but I can also see positives.

He should get this year and at least one more. If he tanks, he will earn his dismissal. We can’t give him as much time as Crean got, but we should t let the pendulum swing too far the other way.

Me too. More time. It’s only been 20 years since IU made a deep run in tournament. Give Archie 8 more years. I’m sure Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, etc would tolerate no NCAA tournament appearances and no improvement

Reactions: BigMobe
Archie is a mid-major coach who has no business coaching at IU. What bothers me more than Fred hiring him is the acceptance of substandard coaching by some of the fan base.

Me too. More time. It’s only been 20 years since IU made a deep run in tournament. Give Archie 8 more years. I’m sure Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, etc would tolerate no NCAA tournament appearances and no improvement
The years before Miller are irrelevant, other than the fact that he wasn’t left with great players to start with.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT