ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana Offers Luka Garza

And the goalposts get moved after you were shown to be wrong, yet again

You make it too easy

I made an error in not specifically saying outright title. See, I admitted to the error. No goalposts pushing. My error, I own it.

Now, in the last five years only one program and one coach has won two outright Big Ten championship regular season titles. IU and Tom Crean. But, since you don't feel those are elite accomplishments I can see why it bothers you to bother with them. ;)

I made an error in not specifically saying outright title. See, I admitted to the error. No goalposts pushing. My error, I own it.

Now, in the last five years only one program and one coach has won two outright Big Ten championship regular season titles. IU and Tom Crean. But, since you don't feel those are elite accomplishments I can see why it bothers you to bother with them. ;)
It bothers me to bother with them? Nope, but it's still not elite

It bothers me to bother with them? Nope, but it's still not elite

Winning the Big Ten title is an elite accomplishment. So much so Bob Knight had a banner hung in Assembly Hall. So much so that he proudly displayed the plaques, trophies, etc of the accomplishment at Assembly Hall. I can't imagine too many people saying that winning a Big Ten title over the likes of Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Purdue, Maryland, Wisconsin and others is anything less than an elite accomplishment. One that takes 3 months to accomplish, many tough road battles, top 15 programs dotting the landscape, great coaches. But for you, it is no surprise.

Last edited:
Winning the Big Ten title is an elite accomplishment. So much so Bob Knight had a banner hung in Assembly Hall. So much so that hey proudly displayed the plaques, trophies, etc of the accomplishment at Assembly Hall. I can't imagine too many people saying that winning a Big Ten title over the likes of Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Purdue, Maryland, Wisconsin and others is anything less than an elite accomplishment. One that takes 3 months to accomplish, many tough road battles, top 15 programs dotting the landscape, great coaches. But for you, it is no surprise.
Bob knight didn't hang the banner to celebrate the title, he did it to acknowledge the fans....if it was to celebrate the title he would've done it for the other ten...if you really worked for IU you'd know that, but back to fantasy island

Winning the B1G is a step towards being elite, but it's not elite by itself

Winning the Big Ten title is an elite accomplishment. So much so Bob Knight had a banner hung in Assembly Hall. So much so that hey proudly displayed the plaques, trophies, etc of the accomplishment at Assembly Hall. I can't imagine too many people saying that winning a Big Ten title over the likes of Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Purdue, Maryland, Wisconsin and others is anything less than an elite accomplishment. One that takes 3 months to accomplish, many tough road battles, top 15 programs dotting the landscape, great coaches. But for you, it is no surprise.
So much so that you still haven't acknowledged that you were completely unaware of the story behind the banners. Why? Because you clearly didn't know.

Bob knight didn't hang the banner to celebrate the title, he did it to acknowledge the fans....if it was to celebrate the title he would've done it for the other ten...if you really worked for IU you'd know that, but back to fantasy island

Winning the B1G is a step towards being elite, but it's not elite by itself

Keep believing that was the only reason the banner was hung. That was not the only reason. The team had some key injuries and he knew they weren't going to go far in the NCAAs. He wanted to thank the fans, but he also did it for that team and the respect they deserved for winning the conference title. Kitchel's injury was large, and he wanted to thank the fans and honor that team for pulling through. Not just have them lost as another NCAA team that didn't go very far. If you were there behind the scenes you would know this. You could also ask a few of the old timers like some of the press and even those that worked there to tell you all the motivations of the banner, not just the one most talked about. I'm not denying the People's Champion perspective, it was real. But he wanted those boys not to be a footnote in IU history, which is also why that banner was hung.

Keep believing that was the only reason the banner was hung. That was not the only reason. The team had some key injuries and he knew they weren't going to go far in the NCAAs. He wanted to thank the fans, but he also did it for that team and the respect they deserved for winning the conference title. Kitchel's injury was large, and he wanted to thank the fans and honor that team for pulling through. Not just have them lost as another NCAA team that didn't go very far. If you were there behind the scenes you would know this. You could also ask a few of the old timers like some of the press and even those that worked there to tell you all the motivations of the banner, not just the one most talked about. I'm not denying the People's Champion perspective, it was real. But he wanted those boys not to be a footnote in IU history, which is also why that banner was hung.
Then explain why RMK didn't hang one for the other 10? Maybe because to him it was an expectation?

Reactions: TheSpa
Not going to go far? You keep digging your hole deeper and deeper. Knight didn't feel that way about that team, even after Kitch went down. Those of us who were actually around know you have no idea what you're talking about.

Not going to go far? You keep digging your hole deeper and deeper. Knight didn't feel that way about that team, even after Kitch went down. Those of us who were actually around know you have no idea what you're talking about.

Sorry son, but you don't know. There were a number of reasons, but it was not solely for the fans. Someone like Bob Hammel, maybe Dr. Rink, and a few others could tell you. Ralph Floyd is dead, only 65 when he passed, but he was the AD at the time. Doninger came later, though I'm sure he knew, but I wouldn't trust Don as far I could throw him.

Sorry son, but you don't know. There were a number of reasons, but it was not solely for the fans. Someone like Bob Hammel, maybe Dr. Rink, and a few others could tell you. Ralph Floyd is dead, only 65 when he passed, but he was the AD at the time. Doninger came later, though I'm sure he knew, but I wouldn't trust Don as far I could throw him.
Frontier gibberish

Feel free to drop names all you want. The more you say, the more you leave little clues that make it obvious you have no idea what you're talking about.

I do want a coach that can do that, we're on our way. Sorry if I have more patience than you do.

Not sure if there is another example of a coach who suddenly started going deep in the tourney regularly after 17 years at two basketball schools but Glass is likely willing to sign him to 7 more years to find out. Hope your patience pays off!

Winning the Big Ten title is an elite accomplishment. So much so Bob Knight had a banner hung in Assembly Hall. So much so that he proudly displayed the plaques, trophies, etc of the accomplishment at Assembly Hall. I can't imagine too many people saying that winning a Big Ten title over the likes of Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Purdue, Maryland, Wisconsin and others is anything less than an elite accomplishment. One that takes 3 months to accomplish, many tough road battles, top 15 programs dotting the landscape, great coaches. But for you, it is no surprise.

tell us what the NCAA thought of last year's conference title. I say we still try to win them but the are probably 75% the accomplishment they once were. A top-tier team with the favorable schedule will win it from here on out.

a coach paid this much money is going to be expected to compete for conf titles, conf tourney titles, and FFs. Crean knows this. Fred knows this even if he's not sure how to make it happen. now you know this. :) which is ironic considering your username. lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Rakkasan29
tell us what the NCAA thought of last year's conference title. I say we still try to win them but the are probably 75% the accomplishment they once were. A top-tier team with the favorable schedule will win it from here on out.

a coach paid this much money is going to be expected to compete for conf titles, conf tourney titles, and FFs. Crean knows this. Fred knows this even if he's not sure how to make it happen. now you know this. :) which is ironic considering your username. lol

What did the NCAA think of Kentucky's conference title and conference tournament title last year? Should we really go in and evaluate the selections and seeding of the NCAA committee the last 10 years? I don't think so.

Crean was a finalist for national coach of the year just a few months ago. The only Big Ten coach in the last 5 years to win two outright Big Ten titles. He's earning his money right now putting this program on a consistent path. The next step is to consistently do it better.

What did the NCAA think of Kentucky's conference title and conference tournament title last year? Should we really go in and evaluate the selections and seeding of the NCAA committee the last 10 years? I don't think so.

Crean was a finalist for national coach of the year just a few months ago. The only Big Ten coach in the last 5 years to win two outright Big Ten titles. He's earning his money right now putting this program on a consistent path. The next step is to consistently do it better.

the next step is to break through the S16 barrier. lol. all the other top 15 paid coaches go deep regularly or are on the hot seat. except at ol IU.

ya, you have to shrug off "really good" to be great. crean is a good coach. those titles are good stuff. but deep runs should be a given considering pay and the talent IU affords him the ability to recruit.

but okay -- we're moving in the right direction after 9 or 7 or 6 years.

you seriously don't need to rationalize this much. it's okay to want IU to be great. it really is. man, some of you guys have PTSD and it's hilarious.

You said titles first time question was asked.

Bettinvet, does knowItAll have many friends, also?

Yes I did, and admitted to the error and added OUTRIGHT to it. Days ago. Apparently you missed that part. I admitted my mistake.

Can you name the two schools on that list with outright Big Ten titles in the last 5 years? I'll give you a hint, you despise their head coach and cheer for him to do poorly.

the next step is to break through the S16 barrier. lol. all the other top 15 paid coaches go deep regularly or are on the hot seat. except at ol IU.

ya, you have to shrug off "really good" to be great. crean is a good coach. those titles are good stuff. but deep runs should be a given considering pay and the talent IU affords him the ability to recruit.

but okay -- we're moving in the right direction after 9 or 7 or 6 years.

you seriously don't need to rationalize this much. it's okay to want IU to be great. it really is. man, some of you guys have PTSD and it's hilarious.

I don't count the first three years, only people with agendas do. That leaves the last 5 years, of which we have three Sweet 16's, two outright Big Ten titles, the best 5 year stretch over the last 23 years including Bob Knight's last 6 years. Where we want to be? No. Going in the right direction? Yes. It's ok, it really is ok to want to be great but also understand if you aren't cheating, aren't starting from ground zero (unlike every other coach you mention), that things go on a different flight and time plan. It's ok.

I don't count the first three years, only people with agendas do. That leaves the last 5 years, of which we have three Sweet 16's, two outright Big Ten titles, the best 5 year stretch over the last 23 years including Bob Knight's last 6 years. Where we want to be? No. Going in the right direction? Yes. It's ok, it really is ok to want to be great but also understand if you aren't cheating, aren't starting from ground zero (unlike every other coach you mention), that things go on a different flight and time plan. It's ok.

Rather, only those with an agenda think three big ten wins in year 3 was somehow inevitable or necessary. Or would gloss over years 6 and 7 and somehow tie them to this oft-mentioned "ground-zero." Or the drubbings in each Sweet 16.

Tom Crean is a good coach and a solid enough citizen. Two titles and 3 Sweet 16s is good work. But we've seen the best programs in our league peak much higher over the last half decade. Four coaches in the big ten alone, all with less tradition, have done more. We have Scott Drew but with a slightly better sales pitch and he'll keep us just inside the top 25 programs until he grows (in his 17th year), until he stumbles, or until IU thinks bigger.

before the BTT existed, it meant much more....Now it is a stretch to consider the regular season title an elite accomplishment...especially given the ridiculously easy schedule IU had last season with losses against the upper echelon usual suspects. It was a very good accomplishment....Elite? Not in my book.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shirtsandskins

Aren't you one of those who doesn't think the BTT championship matters all that much? If that is the case....and I could be wrong...then being specific about a conference title sort of matters here...don't you think? That would be moving the goal posts....apology or no apology.

I'm not sure how Bob Knight gets brought into this....He barely coached during the conference tournament years....His outright conference titles meant a very high seeding in the NCAAs....Besides...He's an icon with three national championships...Compare him to his peers if you must....and Crean isn't one of them.

Reactions: Shirtsandskins
I'm not sure how Bob Knight gets brought into this....He barely coached during the conference tournament years....His outright conference titles meant a very high seeding in the NCAAs....Besides...He's an icon with three national championships...Compare him to his peers if you must....and Crean isn't one of them.

How would he not be brought into this. The agenda seekers here want to say Crean isn't good at coaching in the BTT, yet neither was Bob Knight. Ironically, some of the same people constantly ripping on Crean don't seem to like it when Knight fared even worse in the BTT. That is why he is brought into it. Simple fact, IU hasn't done well in the BTT, whether Crean or Knight coached in it. No IU coach has won the BTT championship. In fact, only one IU coach has even guided his club to the BTT championship game, one time.

Aren't you one of those who doesn't think the BTT championship matters all that much? If that is the case....and I could be wrong...then being specific about a conference title sort of matters here...don't you think? That would be moving the goal posts....apology or no apology.

I think it matters less than the regular season conference championship and most experts would agree with this. Including Bob Knight. What I was talking about was outright Big Ten RS titles vs co-champs\shared titles.

How would he not be brought into this. The agenda seekers here want to say Crean isn't good at coaching in the BTT, yet neither was Bob Knight. Ironically, some of the same people constantly ripping on Crean don't seem to like it when Knight fared even worse in the BTT. That is why he is brought into it. Simple fact, IU hasn't done well in the BTT, whether Crean or Knight coached in it. No IU coach has won the BTT championship. In fact, only one IU coach has even guided his club to the BTT championship game, one time.
Only you could compare RMK and Crean side-by-side in the BTT.

Paragraphs are your friend

Only you could compare RMK and Crean side-by-side in the BTT.

Only me? I count at least 4 people thus far, that doesn't even get into the Big Ten Network, ESPN and others that did so this year.

For those that missed it

Davis 7-6 .539
Crean 3-8 .273
Knight 1-3 .250
Sampson 0-1 .000
Dakich 0-1 .000

Only me? I count at least 4 people thus far, that doesn't even get into the Big Ten Network, ESPN and others that did so this year.

For those that missed it

Davis 7-6 .539
Crean 3-8 .273
Knight 1-3 .250
Sampson 0-1 .000
Dakich 0-1 .000

Look at #2 and #3.

Look at sample size.

The only comparison would be Crean to Davis. But you have an agenda.

becauseIknow you are trying to educate ignorance and those with a obvious agenda at the same time it wont work. You have made some excellent points.

Reactions: becauseIknow
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT