4th - Passes Defended / g (6.83)
4th - 4th Down Conv Def (20.0 %)
15th - Sacks / g (3.33)
18th - Sacks Allowed / g (1.17)
18th - FG % (.889)
22nd - Scoring Def (21.7)
22nd - TFL Allowed / g (4.67)
23rd - 3rd Down Conv Def (34.15 %)

They need to probably double Kane's salary. Indiana can win 10 games per year with those kinds of numbers. Hell of a job!
Cheers to that!

Considering the 3 OOC games originally scheduled, I'm adding 3 to every IU record this year. So we're already a virtual #8windiana. And I like the chances to see up to a #11windiana.

1st - Interceptions / game (2.67)
2nd - Turnover Margin / g (+1.5)
3rd - Red Zone Conv Def (56.25)
4th - Passes Defended / g (6.83)
4th - 4th Down Conv Def (20.0 %)
15th - Sacks / g (3.33)
18th - Sacks Allowed / g (1.17)
18th - FG % (.889)
22nd - Scoring Def (21.7)
22nd - TFL Allowed / g (4.67)
23rd - 3rd Down Conv Def (34.15 %)

The INTs are even more striking when seeing that IU has 3 INTs more than the next closest teams, who have played 2 if not more 3 games. Also, IU is picking off teams about once every 12th pass attempt. The next closest team is intercepting at a rate of 1 out of 20 passes

Half this board wanted him fired last year!
I admit I was one who wasn't impressed with him last year, although I don't think I called for his firing.

Last year our Defense was confused much of the time and the players were still looking at the sidelines when the ball was snapped. They couldnt get good teams off the field on third down.

He's done a 180 this year. He clearly re-evaluated and has things turned around. In his defense last year, he was playing a lot of young players and those players now are maturing.

He's done a very impressive job this year and I'm glad for him.

I admit I was one who wasn't impressed with him last year, although I don't think I called for his firing.

Last year our Defense was confused much of the time and the players were still looking at the sidelines when the ball was snapped. They couldnt get good teams off the field on third down.

He's done a 180 this year. He clearly re-evaluated and has things turned around. In his defense last year, he was playing a lot of young players and those players now are maturing.

Well? I think you might have. We all get a little carried away at times. Big Red had a few flame throwers as well. Ha.

Well? I think you might have. We all get a little carried away at times. Big Red had a few flame throwers as well. Ha.
Thinking back to that day, I have to agree with my 2019 self. lol

LIke I said, I'm just glad he turned it around, but I certainly would not have predicted it.

Nice find. Pretty comical reading "Fire Wommack Now!" a couple of weeks into a season that turned out to be IU's best in decades.

I remember the same thing ("players were still looking at the sidelines when the ball was snapped"). It was frustrating and seemed to last the whole season. My sense then was "growing pains" with a "newish" defensive coordinator.

In fact, it was one of the things I looked for on the defensive side with the 2020 season. Is the defense set by the snap of the ball? Total 180 degree change. Admittedly, both the coordinator and the player personnel were young last year. Nice to see significant growth in this area and the whole program over the last two years.

On an unrelated note, I love listening to Stevie Scott being interviewed (e.g., this past Monday). His interview responses are humble, modest, and consistently about the team. We need more human beings like him!

Don't know if he interviewed, but Wommack was a finalist for the Southern Miss head coaching position according to this article...

On an unrelated note, I love listening to Stevie Scott being interviewed (e.g., this past Monday). His interview responses are humble, modest, and consistently about the team. We need more human beings like him!

Agreed. I feel this way about a bunch of the kids on this team. If this was an IUFB team of lore (you know the ones who come close but don't get it done) I'd still have a great deal of affinity for them, simply because they are so 'humble, modest, and consistently about the team.'

It's so much fun to see "the good guys" winning games. Good guys as in IU and these nifty kids.

Don't know if he interviewed, but Wommack was a finalist for the Southern Miss head coaching position according to this article...

It's a good problem to have - when you win everyone moves up. And other coaches will want to come because of CTA's success and getting coaches promoted.

The fact that CTA has a similar defensive background and is so immersed in everything we're doing on that side of the ball leaves me very confident that we would be able to keep this up with out KW. This would be the complete opposite of us losing KDB to Fresno State, IMO.

The fact that CTA has a similar defensive background and is so immersed in everything we're doing on that side of the ball leaves me very confident that we would be able to keep this up with out KW. This would be the complete opposite of us losing KDB to Fresno State, IMO.
Keen observation and I agree with you. I'm sure Tom knows EXACTLY what KW is doing and exactly why he's doing what he's doing.

With TA at the helm, Indiana is probably going to have a salty defense most years. It's a polar opposite of the Indiana teams of yesterday.

I concur with this assessment, even the part about not sold on him last year, I wasn’t either. He’s done a huge turnaround this year and happy for him and for IU.

ADVERTISEMENT