ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana Brunk v. Butler Brunk

mushroomgod_1

All-American
Apr 9, 2012
Interesting to look at his IU stats in conference v. Butler stats in conference, per every 40M played:

IU Joey: 12.8 pts, 10.1 rebs, .8 assists, shooting 50% on 2s, 35% on FTs
Butler Joey: 15.6 pts, 6.7 rebs, 2.2 assists, shooting 57% on 2s, 63% on FTs

His defensive efficiency # (104.7 DRtg) is much better at IU than at Butler (112.8).....I realize part of that may be related to IU's team defense this year v. Butler's last year.

I think offensively JB ran into a bit of a buzz saw this year with the # of skilled big men defenders in the Big 10, as shown by the 2 pt %s.......looks like that resulted in a Fitzner loss of confidence decline in his FT shooting.

Reactions: BaxterIU
Interesting to look at his IU stats in conference v. Butler stats in conference, per every 40M played:

His defensive efficiency # (104.7 DRtg) is much better at IU than at Butler (112.8).....I realize part of that may be related to IU's team defense this year v. Butler's last year.

I think offensively JB ran into a bit of a buzz saw this year with the # of skilled big men defenders in the Big 10, as shown by the 2 pt %s.......looks like that resulted in a Fitzner loss of confidence decline in his FT shooting.

That's a huge decline in FT%. But how many attempts is is based on for each?

Brunk started every Big Ten game this year versus coming off the bench in the Big East. With exception to his free throw shooting, he has improved significantly. This is a great example of stats not being representative of reality.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
I feel like there's a lot of criticism of JB, and I think it's unwarranted and unfair. He really at this level should be a backup and would be, even on our team, if DD was healthier. He's been pressed in to a lot more minutes than one would have expected and he has been productive and done well for us. Yeah, he's limited defensively and he misses too many FTs, but he was a summer transfer. For his critics, my question is: where do you think we'd have been without him? I'm still hopeful that we find another frontcourt player for next year, as I think we are thin up and could use someone to develop. Don't know where a spot would come from, but if one opens, I'm hoping that's how we fill it.

I feel like there's a lot of criticism of JB, and I think it's unwarranted and unfair. He really at this level should be a backup and would be, even on our team, if DD was healthier. He's been pressed in to a lot more minutes than one would have expected and he has been productive and done well for us. Yeah, he's limited defensively and he misses too many FTs, but he was a summer transfer. For his critics, my question is: where do you think we'd have been without him? I'm still hopeful that we find another frontcourt player for next year, as I think we are thin up and could use someone to develop. Don't know where a spot would come from, but if one opens, I'm hoping that's how we fill it.
Agree on finding another big for next year. Maybe a 5th year transfer?

Reactions: Hatchets7times
I’ve got a couple solid ideas on how to open a spot (or 3), but Fred thinks Creaning is mean.

Brunk started every Big Ten game this year versus coming off the bench in the Big East. With exception to his free throw shooting, he has improved significantly. This is a great example of stats not being representative of reality.

Brunk actually started 15 of 19 Big East games. Started second game of conference games and dropped out in early March—which my Butler friends attribute to lack of production combined with having “checked out”.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
He's not been a total bust imo.
But he sure hit the wall..
If he just slowed down a bit..He rushes shots Because he knows he has no lift..
Still glad we've got him.

He's not been a total bust imo.
But he sure hit the wall..
If he just slowed down a bit..He rushes shots Because he knows he has no lift..
Still glad we've got him.

This is what I mean: a total bust? WTF world are you living in? You're likely not getting a 5 star kid in June-July. He's shored up a weakness for us, been terrific in giving us minutes when RT and DD haven't been able to, gives us extra fouls and splits post D assignments with TJD and has seemingly been a good attitude guy. He's not been a bust in any way shape or form. Fitzner was a bust.

This is what I mean: a total bust? WTF world are you living in? You're likely not getting a 5 star kid in June-July. He's shored up a weakness for us, been terrific in giving us minutes when RT and DD haven't been able to, gives us extra fouls and splits post D assignments with TJD and has seemingly been a good attitude guy. He's not been a bust in any way shape or form. Fitzner was a bust.
Fitzner is the dictionary definition of a bust. Surprising to me that anyone considers Brunk to be a bust. He's a fourth big playing regular minutes with Jackson-Davis, Thompson and Davis while averaging six points and five rebounds a game.

Minor correction - he didn't start the last game. Miller started Davis instead of Brunk and Green in Phinisee's spot for senior day. However, Brunk has been a great help this year and it's good that we'll have him one more year. Our problem isn't the frontline though it could use another big man next year, it's the guard play. Once that's upgraded as it will be next year, this team will be very, very good.

Reactions: Radio Zero
Fitzner is the dictionary definition of a bust. Surprising to me that anyone considers Brunk to be a bust. He's a fourth big playing regular minutes with Jackson-Davis, Thompson and Davis while averaging six points and five rebounds a game.

well in fairness, he said not a TOTAL bust!

One thing that I have noticed about Brunk at IU is that he seems to take a lot of shots near the basket from beneath the basket, instead of holding and releasing the ball up high. I don't know if he is shell shocked by blocks and thinks he is using his body to protect the ball, but he seems to take a lot of shots from odd release points and odd angles for a guy with his height.

Reactions: mk23
One thing that I have noticed about Brunk at IU is that he seems to take a lot of shots near the basket from beneath the basket, instead of holding and releasing the ball up high. I don't know if he is shell shocked by blocks and thinks he is using his body to protect the ball, but he seems to take a lot of shots from odd release points and odd angles for a guy with his height.
Almost always seems off balance. Whatever happened to gathering yourself, going up strong off both feet and trying to drive thru contact to the basket? Old school fundamentals still work.

Can you do one of those comparisons for "High Hair TJD" VS "Short Hair TJD"?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT