ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana backing up

People like you are the reason we are going to get shut down again.
That's not true.... it's people like the ones going to the party when they don't have to go. It amazes me how people think the ones taking their kids to parties or attending gatherings like that themselves are not responsible. I just got invited to a dinner last week and would loved to have gone (have gone to the same dinner for many years) but replied that I couldn't attend. Parents are irresponsible when they throw a big party like the Halloween party but the parents letting their kids attend are even more irresponsible... like Mas-sa-suta said nobody forced then to send their kids to the party. They were free to stay home.

Holcomb says he's trying to avoid shutting down business. He wants us to use the other tools we have available (masks) so that we don't have to do that.

From my neck of the woods, a shutdown is inevitable. Too many people simply aren't taking this seriously, and this new order isn't going to do anything. The virus isn't spreading because of a huge outbreak of groups of 26 people getting together. It's spreading because too many employers aren't enforcing masking and social distancing, and too many dumbasses are actively refusing to put any effort into it.

I visited Mama Goat's rehab facility last week. They go to a lot of effort to protect the patients. Visitors go through a temp check, and all visits are socially distanced. They have a separate wing for Covid patients, completely isolated from everyone else. Great, right? Yet, when I stopped at the office to book another visit, the two women who work in that office had their masks around their necks talking to each other. They were six feet apart, sure, but that's just ridiculously stupid.

Nobody wears a mask at any of the gas stations I stop at. Restaurants seem to be doing well with the masking, but people are obviously within six feet of each other non-stop, so they need to be perfect with the masking and the health screening just to tread water, and they still might get unlucky. A couple of months ago, before Mama Goat got hurt, I took her out to lunch, and the place we went was using all their tables, seating groups right next to each other. The entire staff was masked, but the owner came out to expo food, and his mask was around his neck the entire time.

The BBQ joint in Bluffton that got shut down by the health department for refusing to follow the guidelines had their appeal hearing this week. Their appeal didn't involve a promise to do better if they could reopen. It involved their argument that the Governor acted illegally in extending the mask mandate past 30 days, and that the owner should decide what's best for him and his employees, and their customers should be allowed to decide if they feel safe or not.

This kind of idiocy will lead to our second spike being far, far worse than the first one. Indiana's hospitalization rate already exceeds the April peak, and the death rate is matching it, and we're just getting started. We're going to get shut down again, and it's all our own fault for not taking this seriously when we had the chance.
I don't worry too much about people outside at a gas station where the air is moving constantly. I do have plastic disposable gloves so that I don't have to touch anything there and get my hands contaminated. The thing that pisses me off more than anything is places like Walmart, Kroger, etc say masks are required and then not even enforcing that rule with their employees. The other day we went early to Kroger early and saw at least 4 employees that were not wearing masks. They had masks hanging around their neck... that does a hell of a lot of good. I don't like to wear the mask but I do... I'd feel horrible if I knew I gave someone the virus because I wasn't wearing a mask.

Another thing that I run into is that people think they can't talk to you from 6 ft or more away. I told my wife I'm gonna have me some shirts made up with the logo "I have the virus, if you want it come on over" :)

Same Mr. Objective Independent.

Him telling anyone to “stay classy” after referring to Mika Brzezinski as “that thing” Joe Scarborough married is laughable. He needs to reply to himself with one of his famous and ingenious “irony” posts. That said, he is the most genius poster to ever grace the cooler. I found a picture of him.
87d0dc9b1725e84b46f023f194082cec.jpg

Gimme a “Karen” response in 3...2...1

Him telling anyone to “stay classy” after referring to Mika Brzezinski as “that thing” Joe Scarborough married is laughable. He needs to reply to himself with one of his famous and ingenious “irony” posts. That said, he is the most genius poster to ever grace the cooler. I found a picture of him.
87d0dc9b1725e84b46f023f194082cec.jpg

Gimme a “Karen” response in 3...2...1
One of the top two posters on the board at the moment. Easily.

Hmmm.... that's suprising. I was out and about today.... Lowe's, gas station, haircut and lunch at the brewpub. Didn't see a single maskless soul outside of when indoor dining..... which was greatly spread out..... I was probably 20 ft from anyone else. I don't know if compliance is better around here, but I haven't noticed much in the way of flagrant violators the last few months.

And yet with a continuous mask mandate since early July, backed up by fines for businesses that do not enforce the restrictions, cases in Indianapolis are surging. Perhaps there is more to the highly contagious virus that can and is being transmitted by asymptomatic individuals.

California was the first state, I believe, to ban smoking in restaurants and bars. Lobbyist in the restaurant industry were vehemently against it because it was going to put people out of business. The exact opposite happened. Restaurant and bar business skyrocketed because they didn't have to breathe secondhand smoke.

Incidentally, what swung the ruling about smoking was that restaurant employees were getting cancer from secondhand smoke. It's that goddamn breathing thing again.
As a nonsmoker (except for very occasional cigars - probably average less than 12 or so per year) I prefer smoke free restaurants, bars, airplanes, and hotel rooms, but don't mischaracterize the economic impact of bans negatively or positively. A simple search on the economic impacts gets a mixed bag of study results and I can't find anything that remotely supports "business skyrocketed" at restaurants and bars. Most actually suggest a negative impact on bars in many of the studies, especially initially. That helps explain why in the initial stages of bans many restaurants and bars were willing to pay fines for allowing customers to violate the ban. That happened in Ohio in the initial stage of the state's smoking ban. Most likely there was a negative impact on bars (those where smoking was previously allowed and the patrons preferred that situation) initially which lessened and probably went away as people got used to the smoking ban and adapt to it as the new norm. Smokers had no where to go that allowed smoking inside so they adapted. That makes sense. The bans tanking or skyrocketing business doesn't make so much sense.

Without a doubt. The fact that you so easily recognize his genius and objectivity easily makes you the second most genius and objective poster on the cooler. I mean that.
Good post. Very true. The problem CS2 has is he posts during the era of COH - like having your career coincide with messi's

Good post. Very true. The problem CS2 has is he posts during the era of COH - like having your career coincide with messi's

Sometimes it’s hard to believe we live in the times of such geniuses. It almost makes me feel guilty. Kind of like “what did I do to deserve to live during the times of these geniuses?”. On top of that, we also live in the same time as the largest animal to ever inhabit the earth. Can our luck even be measured?

I was thinking about this comparison. Yesterday a police chase started over on I70 near Crawfordsville when an ISP officer recorded a Dodge Charger driving 170MPH. It ended in Bloomington when they ditched the car and took off on foot.

Even if I had a car that drove 170, I wouldn't do it. Not because it would perhaps kill me, though that is part of it. I just wouldn't want to kill others. The family driving down I70 didn't sign up for the risk to have someone drive 170mph.

These places like that brewery set up rules. People going there accept a risk. Others don't have a right to alter that risk.
Anyone driving a Chrysler Fiat 170 mph has a death wish anyway....law doesn't matter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT