ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana as Cinderella - Now #8 in ESPN Power Ranking

rikki-tikka-tava

All-American
Jul 17, 2002
ESPN spots IU at #11 in its Power Rankings. Like it. Not buying, but still like it all the same.

Beat Rutgers and then UM, and I see them in top 10. Do t think MSU is at top of their game. Beat them and you have a huge IU 4-0 at OSU, Likely also 4-0 (unless PSU bounces back at home next week?)

If both undefeated it’s National game of week. If OSU upset by PSU, it’s a game for IU to “Take control of the B10 East!)

But let’s stick to game at a ti
E, can’t sleep on Rutgers on the road. Do t think we will, but there are no gimmies!

Think you're confusing UM with MSU as Rutgers just beat MSU.

Unlikely IU can depend on its defense for three first-half takeaways again next week, as many missed field goals and the benevolent (this time) solidity/caprice of on-field rulings - offense is going to have to start humming for any kind of shot at 4-0. IU won, but by almost any objective measure they were outplayed - hardly a reliable formula for success. Coach Allen could do far worse than to read them the riot act on Monday and disabuse them of any notions they might have about how good they are.

Luck is a fickle mistress - given that an opponent's ill-advised score of a touchdown ultimately afforded IU its only realistic chance at winning, hard to pretend that they weren't very lucky to notch the victory.

Anyway, very happy they won, feel they deserved to in spite of it all, but Rutgers game is likely to be a bear and should be the only thing on anyone's mind this week.

Last edited:

Unlikely IU can depend on its defense for three first-half takeaways again next week. as many missed field goals and the benevolent (this time) solidity/caprice of on-field rulings - offense is going to have to start humming for any kind of shot at 4-0. IU won, but by almost any objective measure they were outplayed - hardly a reliable formula for success. Coach Allen could do far worse than to read them the riot act on Monday and disabuse them of any notions they might have about how good they are.

Luck is a fickle mistress - given that an opponent's ill-advised score of a touchdown ultimately afforded IU its only realistic chance at winning, hard to pretend that they weren't very lucky to notch the victory.

Anyway, very happy they won, feel they deserved to in spite of it all, but Rutgers game is likely to be a bear and should be the only thing on anyone's mind this week.
Agree. Love the win but Penn State played very poorly. Penalties, turnovers, missed field goals - and all in the same game!
We could not establish the run, we dropped passes, and missed throws. Many things to correct. Pay attention to Rutgers. They are feeling up also.

Agree. Love the win but Penn State played very poorly. Penalties, turnovers, missed field goals - and all in the same game!
We could not establish the run, we dropped passes, and missed throws. Many things to correct. Pay attention to Rutgers. They are feeling up also.
Playing “poorly” on either side is a part of football. I don’t think we had our “A” game either. There were sequences when we had the lead at 20-14 where we killed ourselves. Overthrows. Missed open guys. A dropped ball on a wide open crossing route that would have sealed the drive and probably the game in regulation.

It is nice to see IU rated so high in ESPN's power ranking. The team will have to go our and prove it each week. We need to see improvement in the offense against Rutgers and the defense to keep improving against them too. Our DL looks improved with the secondary playing tougher against the pass.

Schiano is a heck of a defensive coach. He will have his D ready for IU. IU O will need to execute better than yesterday. While IU is more talented in most spots, RU has upped their talent with transfers from UM, OSU and Nebraska already.

I look for Penix to continue to build on his 4th quarter heroics. That last drive in regulation, coupled with the converted two point conversion attempts, is one hell of a foundation in which to build on!!

Mike will play well at Rutgers.

IU needs to improve this week to beat Rutgers. IU did show signs of what this team can be with the final offensive drive and OT. Also if the defense plays like they did in the 1st half after PSU's first drive. If these two come together IU will be a very good team.

Reactions: ESalum86
IU needs to improve this week to beat Rutgers. IU did show signs of what this team can be with the final offensive drive and OT. Also if the defense plays like they did in the 1st half after PSU's first drive. If these two come together IU will be a very good team.
Not just the first half but most of the game the defense played well. I think the only reason they didnt continue to play well is they were on the field for 40 min

Rutgers should have blownout MSU
Rutgers was up by 18 points at one time and went into prevent defense just before the end of the 1st half. They allowed MSU to kick an FG in the closing seconds. It cut the lead to 15. MSU opened up the 2nd half by cutting Rutgers' lead to 8 points with a TD. That was as close as they would get in the game. Rutgers did push the lead back to 18 with less than 5 minutes to go in the game. Again, Rutgers went prevent on offense and defense to chew up the clock. That approach does nothing but prevents you from winning. MSU was able to get the ball back 3 times during the last 5 minutes of the game because of Rutgers' approach. That should never happen. Still, MSU could only score once (TD) over that period. That final score is somewhat misleading.

Just as the score was misleading, so was the passing yards for MSU. Lombardi threw for 300 yards, but 130 of those yards came in the last half of the 4th quarters as Rutgers played soft coverage to keep the close moving. Even though Rutgers gave up yards, MSU could not score when it matters.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Rutgers was up by 18 points at one time and went into prevent defense just before the end of the 1st half. They allowed MSU to kick an FG in the closing seconds. It cut the lead to 15. MSU opened up the 2nd half by cutting Rutgers' lead to 8 points with a TD. That was as close as they would get in the game. Rutgers did push the lead back to 18 with less than 5 minutes to go in the game. Again, Rutgers went prevent on offense and defense to chew up the clock. That approach does nothing but prevents you from winning. MSU was able to get the ball back 3 times during the last 5 minutes of the game because of Rutgers' approach. That should never happen. Still, MSU could only score once (TD) over that period. That final score is somewhat misleading.

Just as the score was misleading, so was the passing yards for MSU. Lombardi threw for 300 yards, but 130 of those yards came in the last half of the 4th quarters as Rutgers played soft coverage to keep the close moving. Even though Rutgers gave up yards, MSU could not score when it matters.
I actually watched that game live. Rutgers should have blown the doors off MSU. MSU looked absolutely awful and are lucky rutgers didnt have more than 28 the firsr half. Rutgers looked decent

A major correction with the OL is needed. Every
team left on the schedule will attempt to
ShakaToney the IU OL, the QB will be running
for his life the rest of season without drastic
OL improvement.

Reactions: DANC
A major correction with the OL is needed. Every
team left on the schedule will attempt to
ShakaToney the IU OL, the QB will be running
for his life the rest of season without drastic
OL improvement.
I feel like shaka toney is a 1st or 2nd round talent. I agree we need a big adjustment but i also think the only other teams that can do what shaka did is OSU and Michigan. But we shall see this weekend.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13

Unlikely IU can depend on its defense for three first-half takeaways again next week, as many missed field goals and the benevolent (this time) solidity/caprice of on-field rulings - offense is going to have to start humming for any kind of shot at 4-0. IU won, but by almost any objective measure they were outplayed - hardly a reliable formula for success. Coach Allen could do far worse than to read them the riot act on Monday and disabuse them of any notions they might have about how good they are.

"IU won, but by almost any objective measure they were outplayed"

Well, I totally disagree. As I say on the pay board:

"Yeah, but of course after Penn St went ahead 7-0 (BARELY, on a 4th down play !!!), IU went ahead 17-7 by half.....then was ahead 17-7 near the start of the 4th, then was ahead 20-14 with 2:33 left in the game.....

So, if IU was BAD, they still dominated for MOST of the game, NO...???

True, PSU's QB had a bad game, but ours wasn't sharp - mostly - either (I think even he would say that) until he went into that phone booth before the last 4th Q drive and.....well, you know the rest... "

Meaningless yardage between the 20s is worthless...IU outplayed THEM most of the game, according to the rules of football...just saying...

Last edited:
"IU won, but by almost any objective measure they were outplayed"

Well, I totally disagree. As I say on the pay board:

"Yeah, but of course after Penn St went ahead 7-0 (BARELY, on a 4th down play !!!), IU went ahead 17-7 by half.....then was ahead 17-7 near the start of the 4th, then was ahead 20-14 with 2:33 left in the game.....

So, if IU was BAD, they still
dominated for MOST of the game, NO...???

True, PSU's QB had a bad game, but ours wasn't sharp - mostly - either (I think even he would say that) until he went into that phone booth before the last 4th Q drive and.....well, you know the rest... "

Meaningless yardage between the 20s is worthless...IU outplayed THEM most of the game, according to the rules of football...just saying...

As you like, but offensively it wasn't even close and for IU one of its best defensive plays of the game was allowing them to score a TD. That's hardly consistent with "dominated" but it's all good. They played well in some respects, and well enough to win even if just barely, but the role of latter day "Cardiac Kids" is not something I'm longing to see reprised at IU.

I actually watched that game live. Rutgers should have blown the doors off MSU. MSU looked absolutely awful and are lucky rutgers didnt have more than 28 the firsr half. Rutgers looked decent
Rutgers has a lot of moving parts with so many new players playing major roles on the team.

Reactions: vesuvius13
It’s a shame they hired Schiano. I was hoping he’d flop. I don’t think he will. MSU might end up the new Rutgers.

It is nice to see IU rated so high in ESPN's power ranking. The team will have to go our and prove it each week. We need to see improvement in the offense against Rutgers and the defense to keep improving against them too. Our DL looks improved with the secondary playing tougher against the pass.
Nice post. I'd like to see Peoples get some credit on that D-Line. I believe we looked better up front. If we lay the egg Saturday I may have to eat my words but I predict the D-line looks even better Saturday against RU.
Go Hoosiers!

What game were you watching?:confused:

You have a lot to learn. Ask any Rutgers fan posting here about how reliable nj.com is when covering Rutgers. Rutgers could win a national championship, and nj.com will cover the situation as if Rutgers finished last. The author of the article isn't even a regular beat writer for Rutgers. The managing sports editor for nj.com is a Syracuse grad and has had a running feud with Rutgers and the fans for years. Nj.com spends more time digging for dirt on Rutgers, and most outsiders not only believe what this site posts but rely on it for insight on Rutgers. A lot of the good writers from that site have retired or move on so they can continue as real sports journalists. The comments about each player were more of the author's opinion than a true breakdown of what took place in the game. Also, the author failed to mention the NCAA has not cleared the players who did not play. So it's easy to have the impression that those players stink and could not make the two-deep roster.

FYI: Bredon White was the MVP of the Rose Bowl 2 years ago for Ohio State.
Jovani Haskins was 2nd team all-Big 12 TE.
Malik Barrow played his first 2 years at Ohio State before transferring and starting at UCF.
Mayan Ahanotu was a rotation DE/DT player at Minnesota last year.
They have yet to adjust to playing with new teammates. There was no Spring practice or Summer workouts.

Last edited:
As you like, but offensively it wasn't even close and for IU one of its best defensive plays of the game was allowing them to score a TD. That's hardly consistent with "dominated" but it's all good. They played well in some respects, and well enough to win even if just barely, but the role of latter day "Cardiac Kids" is not something I'm longing to see reprised at IU.
Re; "As you like, but offensively it wasn't even close "

Well, if you mean by that that Penn St was better on office----> Remember: IU was AHEAD 17-7 MOST of the game (!) & then ahead 20-14 with 2:33 or whatever left....!!

Don't freakin' POINTS count for something when determining "offense" ?!?? 🤷‍♂️

or is it just meaningless yardage ?

(The reason it bothers me so much is most national analysts don't bother to watch the game, see that it was won in OT barely, then look at the stats and say "Oh, well, IU didn't really DESERVE to win....just look at the yardage !."...and ignore the fact that overall IU OUTPLAYED them, except for a two-minute stretch after IU led 20-14 where PSU forged ahead, only to have IU come back when they needed to...)

Re; "As you like, but offensively it wasn't even close "

Well, if you mean by that that Penn St was better on office----> Remember: IU was AHEAD 17-7 MOST of the game (!) & then ahead 20-14 with 2:33 or whatever left....!!

Don't freakin' POINTS count for something when determining "offense" ?!?? 🤷‍♂️

or is it just meaningless yardage ?

(The reason it bothers me so much is most national analysts don't bother to watch the game, see that it was won in OT barely, then look at the stats and say "Oh, well, IU didn't really DESERVE to win....just look at the yardage !."...and ignore the fact that overall IU OUTPLAYED them, except for a two-minute stretch after IU led 20-14 where PSU forged ahead, only to have IU come back when they needed to...)

You're splitting hairs. Pretty clear what I said and why - not enough meat on this bone to warrant any more attention.

Reactions: codylance
Actually that's a killer transfer list. Big time schools not after thoughts. Pretty sure their coach evaluated what he had and went shopping in the portal. I'm surprised by the former schools and see huge value in the portal for coaches putting the final touches on their teams. Good for the kids too. Coaches need what they bring so they play right away. Going to be a great game. Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: vesuvius13
Actually that's a killer transfer list. Big time schools not after thoughts. Pretty sure their coach evaluated what he had and went shopping in the portal. I'm surprised by the former schools and see huge value in the portal for coaches putting the final touches on their teams. Good for the kids too. Coaches need what they bring so they play right away. Going to be a great game. Go Hoosiers!
Schiano did an outstanding job overhauling rutgers by shopping in the portal

ADVERTISEMENT