ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana 3.8 Earthquake

Slept right through it. Never have experienced an earthquake...it’s on my bucket list though!
I have--the one back in 1987? I think it was?? (I'm old), I lived in Bloomington at the time, I was in my kitchen & the dishwasher shook really hard & I was like, "wtf is that?" Later found out it was an earthquake..

Reactions: Harry Hondo
Some reported it here which is in the Kokomo area but I did not feel it.
Hmm. That's a little further than I would have expected, but I didn't feel it or hear anyone else that did(NW Indiana on Lake Michigan).

I have--the one back in 1987? I think it was?? (I'm old), I lived in Bloomington at the time, I was in my kitchen & the dishwasher shook really hard & I was like, "wtf is that?" Later found out it was an earthquake..
In 1987 I was standing by my car and it started rocking. Wondered who was doing it, but there was nobody around. Found out later we had an earthquake. Also remember one back about 13-14 years ago. I was visiting my parents in South Bend and shortly after I awoke in the morning I felt a vibration go from one side of the bed to the other. I immediately knew it was an earthquake. Friends in Bloomington said it was more prominent. I think both were centered on the New Madrid fault that goes through the Terre Haute area.

In 1987 I was standing by my car and it started rocking. Wondered who was doing it, but there was nobody around. Found out later we had an earthquake. Also remember one back about 13-14 years ago. I was visiting my parents in South Bend and shortly after I awoke in the morning I felt a vibration go from one side of the bed to the other. I immediately knew it was an earthquake. Friends in Bloomington said it was more prominent. I think both were centered on the New Madrid fault that goes through the Terre Haute area.
That's not the New Madrid fault, but there is a fault that runs close to Terre Haute.

I felt the 1987 and another one in 2007 that was centered souteast of Kokomo. The 1987 one in Lafayette shook my chair and rattled the dishes and the 2007 one in Kokom, which was in the morning and shook the bed.

Yeah there was one in '07, but I don't remember that one. I think I was asleep at the time.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I was awake during the 07 earthquake visiting my mother in Bloomington and felt the shaking for something short of a minute. I went through a much bigger one while stationed in Guam. I was in my rack and watched the waves in the ceiling as it went on for close to 90 seconds and we had numerous aftershocks. The thing I remember the most were the California guys running out of the barracks while the rest of us stayed marveling at what was going on. It broke roadways, warped door ways, etc but no serious damage.

The New Madrid quake changed the Mississippi River's course and was devastating to towns and land in the region. Danc is right that the Bloomington quakes are from a different fault line and I hope I don't get to experience the next big New Madrid quake.

The 2007 (I believe it was that one) quake had me going from sound asleep to standing by the side of the bed in a split second. I thought something had crashed into our house. Having our first house getting hit by lightning was worse. Much worse!

The 2007 (I believe it was that one) quake had me going from sound asleep to standing by the side of the bed in a split second. I thought something had crashed into our house. Having our first house getting hit by lightning was worse. Much worse!
I had a window open and it slammed shut. I was in college and my bobbleheads were going bananas. I thought it was a tornado but the trees weren't moving. It happened just before 6 am, but I felt aftershocks several times that morning. It was so strange!

I was sleeping on the 9th floor in a 30 story hotel in St. Louis in 2008 when they had one that was shaking the whole building around. I knew what it was and that there was no chance of getting out of there. I just laid there thinking about all that mass of building above me. It lasted for what seemed like forever, maybe a couple of minutes, and then just stoppped with nothing. I said my prayers of thanks that night!

This had to be 1977 or 1978 shortly after i moved to Fort Wayne. I lived on the 5th floor of an Apartment building. It was a dark, dismal rainy Sunday, and I'm pretty sure it was fall, and I was watching football. Suddenly I got the felling that things were moving, and I swore that several pieces of furniture had moved forward, and then back to their original position. At first I wasn't sure it really happened. Next day I found out from the News that it was part of the shock or aftershock of a small earthquake that occurred in Southwest Indiana.

I think that was 08. I was up and there was a roaring sound that I thought was the wind but looking outside the trees weren’t moving. Turned on the TV and the anchors were saying that there was an earthquake. I remember the year because I had started a new job and going in early and every house was lit up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT