ADVERTISEMENT

In search of a new driver...advice appreciated

td75

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 16, 2003
The Big Bertha 454 has been in my bag for over 13 years. It has been a great driver but I think I'm missing out on more modern drivers.

I'm a Callaway man at heart. I was looking at the X Hot, it's priced at $250 which is very reasonable in today's market. However, it seems to be from 2013, so not sure about that.

Is the Epic worth the money??

I bought a SIM max 2 years ago, and immediately hit it about 10 yards further than my older Taylor made. The tech advances are real. I didn't hit the epic real well when I tried it, but I didn't hit any driver well that day.

But I strongly recommend going to a club fitter. Club champion can let you hit every major brand, although it can be expensive to buy.

Reactions: td75
The Big Bertha 454 has been in my bag for over 13 years. It has been a great driver but I think I'm missing out on more modern drivers.

I'm a Callaway man at heart. I was looking at the X Hot, it's priced at $250 which is very reasonable in today's market. However, it seems to be from 2013, so not sure about that.

Miss Daisy highly recommends Morgan Freeman.

Reactions: All4You
I hit an R11. Can’t believe it’s 10 years old but I love it.
Still use my Ping i3 irons. Got them between Soph and Junior year of high school in 2000. Still hit them pure.

I bought a SIM max 2 years ago, and immediately hit it about 10 yards further than my older Taylor made. The tech advances are real. I didn't hit the epic real well when I tried it, but I didn't hit any driver well that day.
I can endorse TaylorMade drivers. Using an off-the-shelf M6 with a stiff shaft . . . and can still crank one up to 280 with it . . .

. . . of course, I bought it as a stop gap until I go for a fitting for a new driver. My guess is that I'll be fit for something with more flex to it . . . and mid-sized grips too. Probably less distance, but more reliability.

Depends on what you want a driver to do . . . if it's get as much distance, that's one thing . . . if it's keep it in the fairway at all costs, that's another. If you want distance plus fairway . . . good luck.

Heard this guy is pretty reliable.

giphy.gif

I can endorse TaylorMade drivers. Using an off-the-shelf M6 with a stiff shaft . . . and can still crank one up to 280 with it . . .

. . . of course, I bought it as a stop gap until I go for a fitting for a new driver. My guess is that I'll be fit for something with more flex to it . . . and mid-sized grips too. Probably less distance, but more reliability.

Depends on what you want a driver to do . . . if it's get as much distance, that's one thing . . . if it's keep it in the fairway at all costs, that's another. If you want distance plus fairway . . . good luck.
I just switched to midsize grips this season. It made little difference to me. But if you're having trouble with arthritis, I imagine it would help.

I just switched to midsize grips this season. It made little difference to me. But if you're having trouble with arthritis, I imagine it would help.
I'm old . . . but have good sized hands. The midsized grips keep too much hands at bay.

Yes, the new stuff will make a huge difference over a 13-year-old driver.
Get fitted at Golf Galaxy or PGA Superstore. Try the newest driver of every brand. The fitter can help you determine which brand works best for you.
Treat yourself.

I’m hitting a Callaway Epic Speed right now. It’s ehhh…

I’ve heard a lot of good things about the new PXG drivers. Never hit one in my life but I’ll be checking them out soon.

Yes, the new stuff will make a huge difference over a 13-year-old driver.
Get fitted at Golf Galaxy or PGA Superstore. Try the newest driver of every brand. The fitter can help you determine which brand works best for you.
Treat yourself.

on the driver's journey from persimmon and steel to 460 cc and composite shafts, there was noticeable benefit with every jump in CCs till things hit 460 and the governing bodies said "whoa".

have there really been noticeable advances since things hit 460 cc??

I’m hitting the Taylor Made M5. Had to get the adjustments right but really like the way the ball is coming off it. Good luck.

on the driver's journey from persimmon and steel to 460 cc and composite shafts, there was noticeable benefit with every jump in CCs till things hit 460 and the governing bodies said "whoa".

have there really been noticeable advances since things hit 460 cc??
I went from an unfitted 2007 Taylormade Burner to a fitted 2018 Callaway Rogue Sub Zero. The difference was huge. A large part of that may be the fitted/unfitted variable.

The biggest gains may be in forgiveness. I'm often stunned how far a ball will go when I know from feel that I've damn near missed it. Sweet spot distance may not be a huge difference...

Reactions: i'vegotwinners
ADVERTISEMENT