ADVERTISEMENT

In defense of Ramsey

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
was reading article on NFL Draft, and discussion which QB Browns should take #1, and if The Allen kid from Wyoming with the big arm is right guy given some concerns about his accuracy.

Here was blurb on how Bill Parcell’s judged his QB’s:

Among them: The quarterback had to complete 60 percent of his throws.

Parcells judged on productivity, not on arm strength or mechanics. He wanted a quarterback who started and won a lot of games, who completed a high percentage of passes and who took care of the ball. In short, he wanted a guy who had shown he could play, not shown he had potential.

In no way am I saying Ramsey is tracking to be a #1st rd pick right now, but Per the Parcells criteria, I think Ramsey could end up being very productive, as I think he does many of those things without maybe having the cannon arm.

And let my record show, if the high school record of Penix is an indication, he may be even better in time given his amazing T.D. to INT ratio in high school.

Time will tell for both, but I think if O-line holds up, rest will take care of itself.

was reading article on NFL Draft, and discussion which QB Browns should take #1, and if The Allen kid from Wyoming with the big arm is right guy given some concerns about his accuracy.

Parcells judged on productivity, not on arm strength or mechanics. He wanted a quarterback who started and won a lot of games, who completed a high percentage of passes and who took care of the ball. In short, he wanted a guy who had shown he could play, not shown he had potential.

In no way am I saying Ramsey is tracking to be a #1st rd pick right now, but Per the Parcells criteria, I think Ramsey could end up being very productive, as I think he does many of those things without maybe having the cannon arm.

And let my record show, if the high school record of Penix is an indication, he may be even better in time given his amazing T.D. to INT ratio in high school.

Time will tell for both, but I think if O-line holds up, rest will take care of itself.
You make some good points. The kid set an IU single-season record for completion percentage - - as a RS freshman. I don't care what kind of plays the coaches were dialing up for him - - that reflects poise, smarts, and (obviously) an accurate arm.

He doesn't have a cannon but I watched high school film and he can throw it deep when necessary. It's important to note that his deep options last year were limited because a) defenses were keying on Cobbs; b) Westbrook and Hale were out; and c) Timian is more slot than outside.

In another thread, I endorsed the idea of a QB grad transfer, not because I don't have faith in Ramsey, but because I'm not sure if Penix and/or Tronti are ready should Ramsey get injured. But, absolutely yes, we can win with Ramsey.

I don't think PR needs any defending at this point, he just needs a line. He has gotten what he could from his ability and experience to this point given the limitations of the line.

You make some good points. The kid set an IU single-season record for completion percentage - - as a RS freshman. I don't care what kind of plays the coaches were dialing up for him - - that reflects poise, smarts, and (obviously) an accurate arm.

He doesn't have a cannon but I watched high school film and he can throw it deep when necessary. It's important to note that his deep options last year were limited because a) defenses were keying on Cobbs; b) Westbrook and Hale were out; and c) Timian is more slot than outside.

In another thread, I endorsed the idea of a QB grad transfer, not because I don't have faith in Ramsey, but because I'm not sure if Penix and/or Tronti are ready should Ramsey get injured. But, absolutely yes, we can win with Ramsey.
Excellent observation. Give me the kid who hits 60%+ of his passes and you can have the bomb. The % alone tells you the defenses struggle to stop him. Screw extending the field...that's just one way to win. Ramsey is my #1 choice right now, no matter how well Penix develops.

LOL. Parcels wouldn’t know quarterback if his milkman was Joe Montana and his postman was Tom Brady.

Reactions: mk23
Hopefully we can get an idea just how adjusted Penix is and just how improved Ramsey is during the Spring Game.

I'll say this, Ramsey simply didn't show enough last year for me to automatically pencil him in ahead of MP going into fall camp. I think given MP's talent, Ramsey will have to perform better than he did last year, or he very well could be starting on the bench.

Good luck to both, they're both teammates and we need them to be at the top of their games.

Excellent observation. Give me the kid who hits 60%+ of his passes and you can have the bomb. The % alone tells you the defenses struggle to stop him. Screw extending the field...that's just one way to win. Ramsey is my #1 choice right now, no matter how well Penix develops.
He hit 60%+ of his passes because he threw conservative short passes that defenses ultimately rendered ineffective. He has to extend the field, so he can showcase his best talents. Hit three deep balls a game, and we can win with him.

He hit 60%+ of his passes because he threw conservative short passes that defenses ultimately rendered ineffective. He has to extend the field, so he can showcase his best talents. Hit three deep balls a game, and we can win with him.
Ultimately rendered ineffective? Are we talking about the same guy? In his last game (Maryland), Ramsey was 31 of 41, for 279 yards and 3 TDs.

Ultimately rendered ineffective? Are we talking about the same guy? In his last game (Maryland), Ramsey was 31 of 41, for 279 yards and 3 TDs.
Yes, the same guy that threw 22/34 for 158, zero td’s the week before at MSU. He gets credit for playing well against Maryland, but their defense was on another level of bad last year.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I just watched Penix’s video from high school again, and I don’t think we will be talking about Ramsey for much longer anyway. He has the velocity, decision making, and legs. It’s just a matter of time before he earns the job.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I think QB play will be average to slightly above and don't see it as being a limiting factor for the offense. O line play and the running game is what will make or break us. Ellison is out for the rest of the spring but should be ready for summer. Tough to get a gauge on it anyway during the spring game.

The number if kids ready to start at the D1 level of college FB as freshmen can be counted on with one hand...or less. We do not have one...most likely. Give me experience over a freshman any day. Penix will need time, and Ramsey wont stand still. Time will tell...the biggest improvement in any player is between years one and two in playing years. Ramsey will be better...Penix will be a freshman until much later into the season. My money is on Ramsey out of the fall...but Penix should be closing on him. Nice competition.

Anxious for this spring game...I think we will all know alot more afterwards. Hopefully all 3 get good reps and even Taylor as well. Not sure how they will set up the spring game with roster though. Anyone have a clue? Will there be two separate teams with 2 different QB's? Or one offense vs. one defense?

Anxious for this spring game...I think we will all know alot more afterwards. Hopefully all 3 get good reps and even Taylor as well. Not sure how they will set up the spring game with roster though. Anyone have a clue? Will there be two separate teams with 2 different QB's? Or one offense vs. one defense?

Same situation as last year. 2 teams picked last night and will be just like a normal game. With a special teams period about mid way through

Reactions: Indianaftw and 76-1
Same situation as last year. 2 teams picked last night and will be just like a normal game. With a special teams period about mid way through

Looking forward to it (the Spring Game). I think Ramsey comes out of it being "the" guy. I'd like to see Penix use his Redshirt to become an unstoppable/unbreakable beast at QB with a year of weight work under his belt...

I would not however, be surprised if the staff waited to declare a starter till just prior to the FIU game given all the positive coaches accolades Penix has been getting...

Had a list of about 24 names of guys I really wanted to watch closely and I realized I could just tighten things up a bit by saying I'll be watching the LB's and TE's, the OL and DL, and the QBs & a few specific guys at "skill" positions... in other words nearly a third+ of the whole team;):D

I'll have to ask my wife to not distract me...! On second thought, that's probably a really bad idea.

Guess I'll just see what I can "live" and watch the replay on Sunday for the missed details...:D

Last edited:
Reactions: ESalum86
Taylor not on campus yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT