ADVERTISEMENT

In a free society how could you ever stop a attack like manchester

I agree at least to the extent that any monitoring of them is not preventing them from committing their heinous acts of evil. This IS a battle of good v. evil. Even in much lower consequence engagements it remains true sometimes that nice guys finish last. That is certainly happening to the "nice guys" who are trying to be nice to evil people.

Time to take on that evil as an enemy of civilized mankind.

You have been watching too many Hollywood movies dude. If only life was as simple as you make it out to be. The real world ie outside the county line is infinitely more complex or grey than your little prism.

Btw these guys are probably saying the same thing -- Good v Evil.

You think they are blowing themselves up thinking they are 'evil'?

Last edited:
I agree at least to the extent that any monitoring of them is not preventing them from committing their heinous acts of evil. This IS a battle of good v. evil. Even in much lower consequence engagements it remains true sometimes that nice guys finish last. That is certainly happening to the "nice guys" who are trying to be nice to evil people.

Time to take on that evil as an enemy of civilized mankind.

If you return to a country having lived in a part of the ISIS caliphate, you ought to have a serious interrogation before returning to society. And if you were actually a member of ISIS, prison time should be forthcoming. I'm not sure this is happening in Europe.

Then again, the so-called "extreme vetting" in this country is mystifying. Let in Sunni radicals by the droves, but keep westernized Iranians out. $ before security.

Do the 2 of you realize that this very Saud ideology is the leading cancer of incidents like what we just saw in Manchester? Ok, so perhaps they don't have internal unrest, instead, they just export unrest.

And what about the people who actually live in Saudi Arabia, and are subject to horrific human rights abuses? Namely women. We just turn a blind eye to this in the name of confronting Iran? That's not what America is about.

I'm not naive about Saudis in general. It's probably one of the most conservative/extremist Islamic societies in the world, along with Afghanistan. However, that society exists no matter what....we cannot change that. And what degree we can influence that comes with working through the Saud royal family....not isolating it.

We've occupied Afghanistan for 16 years, and haven't changed the culture there. It's as extreme in most of the country as when we started.

The world is desperate for mid east stability....and that requires using what's real and on the ground. Ridiculous as it is to think....The house of Saud is a moderate, stable voice for the culture that's in place there. Without them, and our influence, we'd see things much worse than even now.

So are you only going to draw this box around religious ideology and extremism? Or are you going to extend it to Second Amendment nutjobs waving don't tread on me flag's and talking about how we'll pry their guns right from your cold dead hands? What about the comment section of any Breitbart.com article? You're on a very slippery slope, and you can't stop.

Bottom line, is that you're looking for an oversimplified solution for a very complex problem, and you and I are going to disagree all day long on the existential nature of this problem.
You have a problem with this flag?

culpepper.gif

I fly it every so often.

You're missing my larger p you're missing my larger point. Islamic terrorists are no closer to having a live WMD, than are any other kind of Extremist in our military, or potentially a lab researching weapons. Some of the rhetoric thrown around by both sides of the aisle is not much different than rhetoric from imams at mosque.

Having worked in the defense industry on and off for well over 10 years, I can personally attest that there are numerous colleagues of mine who are convinced that our country is under threat of liberalism, and would they get the tap on the soldier would gladly give their life to take down the evil liberals. How is this any different from what you were talking about? I would encourage you to read the comment section of many extreme right and extreme left new sites. Youll find people who while sitting anonymously behind a keyboard, or far likelier to have access to very powerful weapons than are Islamic terrorists living in a cave.

An extremist is an extremist is an extremist. Drawing your box at religion, like I thought you might, is very disappointing
Oh come on. I've been in DoD and/or defense industry for over 30 years and I don't know even one person looking to give up his/her life to take down "evil liberals"

Reactions: 76-1
I'm not naive about Saudis in general. It's probably one of the most conservative/extremist Islamic societies in the world, along with Afghanistan. However, that society exists no matter what....we cannot change that. And what degree we can influence that comes with working through the Saud royal family....not isolating it.

We've occupied Afghanistan for 16 years, and haven't changed the culture there. It's as extreme in most of the country as when we started.

The world is desperate for mid east stability....and that requires using what's real and on the ground. Ridiculous as it is to think....The house of Saud is a moderate, stable voice for the culture that's in place there. Without them, and our influence, we'd see things much worse than even now.

from that standpoint, we would probably all be better off if they just disintegrated into their original tribes. Sadly, no country has helped to create more extremists than us. Saudi probably 2nd on that list.

About the royal family... Some of their members give huge sums to extremists. I don't know how moderate they really are.

from that standpoint, we would probably all be better off if they just disintegrated into their original tribes. Sadly, no country has helped to create more extremists than us. Saudi probably 2nd on that list.

About the royal family... Some of their members give huge sums to extremists. I don't know how moderate they really are.
The royal family is scared to death of the extremists. Members who support them are outliers looking to undermine the family.

Oh come on. I've been in DoD and/or defense industry for over 30 years and I don't know even one person looking to give up his/her life to take down "evil liberals"

ever read the breitbarts comment section? And many claim to be veterans. They can't all be lying.

ever read the breitbarts comment section? And many claim to be veterans. They can't all be lying.
Ever read the comment section of any of the moonbat sites? You liberals are the most vile, conservative hating, Republican hating, profane, uncivil, intolerant and violent people in the USA - if the comment section is representative of all liberals.

My recommendation is not to make broad based judgments based on comment sections of websites that appeal to extremes. I know more military and vets than you'll ever know, and the idea that there are any significant number of us looking to give up our lives to take down "evil liberals" is preposterous. The number is something close to zero. You'd be safer in any VFW or military chow hall than you could ever be at any liberal cause demonstration.

Reactions: Ladoga and 76-1
You have been watching too many Hollywood movies dude. If only life was as simple as you make it out to be. The real world ie outside the county line is infinitely more complex or grey than your little prism.

Yes, but they ARE evil. Anyone deliberately targeting and killing innocent civilians is evil, and whether they think it's evil or not is irrelevant. I'd say if they think they're doing good, that's also evil.

Reactions: Ladoga and 76-1
If you return to a country having lived in a part of the ISIS caliphate, you ought to have a serious interrogation before returning to society. And if you were actually a member of ISIS, prison time should be forthcoming. I'm not sure this is happening in Europe.

Then again, the so-called "extreme vetting" in this country is mystifying. Let in Sunni radicals by the droves, but keep westernized Iranians out. $ before security.
Example of folks being too nice to would be immigrants. What should happen is that they get completely vetted down to their life details. If that can't happen for whatever reason, they can't enter the country. Pass or fail by strict standards established by the USA for entry into our country.

Reactions: 76-1
Yes, but they ARE evil. Anyone deliberately targeting and killing innocent civilians is evil, and whether they think it's evil or not is irrelevant. I'd say if they think they're doing good, that's also evil.

Aloha -- of course they are evil.

But how do you think they got there? I will also bet any money I have, which isn't much but never they dont do it think they are doing evil.
Clearly they have some rationalisation -- what you will hear will be the western powers bombing or muslim communities etc. But I am certain they dont think they think they are doing evil.
If you dont try and understand their rationalisation, then this craziness will never end.

Reactions: MrBing
Beautiful poem of tribute and defiance, This is the place to the people of Manchester earlier today:

fyi. People of Manchester are known as Mancs or Mancunians.

These guys go off to fight in Syria, return home, and in some cases are not even being monitored. It's literally insanity. And then there is the Saudi/Sunni issue, which no one will confront due to $.
I think we agree - at least as regards to coming and going between the US and foreign ISIS battle grounds/training. IF you go there you ought to be required to prove that you are squeaky clean and have absolutely nothing to do with the extremists ever or you can't come back. That makes their going for training or for fighting worthless if they can't import it here. As to Europe, they have problems that are a bit more complex.

Reactions: toastedbread
I can Pm you six names today. They may be all talk but that proves my point.

I'm curious how you think we're being "nice."
Its a competitive phrase and the title of Leo Durocher's autobiography. He coined it in an interview in 1946 or so asked about the Dodgers - his team and the Giants. He said something close to - Pointing to the Giants dugout - they're nice guys, there they sit in 7th place.

As long as we fail to point out that our definition of good and evil is right and theirs is wrong, we have a problem. Of course Islamic extremists think killing people is right and get their beliefs from religious leaders' teachings. That's what makes them Islamic extremists and evil.

As long as we fail to point out that our definition of good and evil is right and theirs is wrong, we have a problem. Of course Islamic extremists think killing people is right and get their beliefs from religious leaders' teachings. That's what makes them Islamic extremists and evil.

And what if they think that you are evil? How do you bridge it?

Kick some or more ass?

Last edited:
Its a competitive phrase and the title of Leo Durocher's autobiography. He coined it in an interview in 1946 or so asked about the Dodgers - his team and the Giants. He said something close to - Pointing to the Giants dugout - they're nice guys, there they sit in 7th place.
That wasn't my question.

Ever read the comment section of any of the moonbat sites? You liberals are the most vile, conservative hating, Republican hating, profane, uncivil, intolerant and violent people in the USA - if the comment section is representative of all liberals.

My recommendation is not to make broad based judgments based on comment sections of websites that appeal to extremes. I know more military and vets than you'll ever know, and the idea that there are any significant number of us looking to give up our lives to take down "evil liberals" is preposterous. The number is something close to zero. You'd be safer in any VFW or military chow hall than you could ever be at any liberal cause demonstration.
This is exactly my greater point that you are missing. Crazed's ideas are completely unexecutable because of the impossible nature of knowing what is and what isn't a true threat. To say we should treat a threat coming out of a mosque as more serious than one made at the local good ol' boy watering hole is ridiculous at best.

And what if they think that you are evil? How do you bridge it?

Kick some or more ass?

You kill them until there are none left or they give up their evil beliefs. You sure as shit are not going to talk ISIS down from their position.

i agree some left wing sites are bad, though I haven't seen anything as bad as breitbart on the left.

i basically agree with your entire post. I was simply responding to what i thought was your claim that there are no ex military looking to take out evil liberals, or at least writing such ideas. The number is non zero. And i would gather that you associate with a higher class of people, who would never talk in such a manner.

Example of folks being too nice to would be immigrants. What should happen is that they get completely vetted down to their life details. If that can't happen for whatever reason, they can't enter the country. Pass or fail by strict standards established by the USA for entry into our country.

i have no problem with vetting. I'd like to see "smart vetting". Profiling, big data, all fine. What this administration is doing is the complete oppsite of smart vetting. They've had there 90+ days and have done absolutely nothing to improve procedures. It was a pure dog whistle. Iraq was taken off of the list purely due to lobbying. Countries whose citizens have terrorized americans across America are off the list, while a country whose citizens have not killed a single american in this country is on the list. That's moronic policy.

Aloha -- of course they are evil.

But how do you think they got there? I will also bet any money I have, which isn't much but never they dont do it think they are doing evil.
Clearly they have some rationalisation -- what you will hear will be the western powers bombing or muslim communities etc. But I am certain they dont think they think they are doing evil.
If you dont try and understand their rationalisation, then this craziness will never end.

A lot of this is brainwashing vulnerable people in society. Religion can be corrupted in some fairly sick ways.

You're vastly underestimating the amount of resources it takes to monitor these eventual perpetrators. 99.9% percent of people being "surveilled" in some form or another never end up committing a terrorist attack.

It's not as if they can assign an agent to follow around anyone they have even the most remote suspicion of being radical.

Grow up Peter Pan, Count Chocula.
I did not say to "monitor" them as in tailing them or staking them out 24 hours per day. Each case would be different I imagine. They certainly have been in my experience. Making some kind of determination about the potential for people who have traveled certain places or been involved in certain activity is a starting point. Ignoring those things is not a good place to start. One wonders just how many of these folks - having traveled with passports outside the country - would pose less of a threat if a complete explanation of their whereabouts and activities was required in order for them to re-enter. Go to Syria for training? Better be able to explain every step you took outside or you can't come back in.

For not preemptively blowing them away? You know, just in case...
Why make up things people didn't say to argue with them about. No one said anything about blowing anyone away until it was made up out of thin air..

I can Pm you six names today. They may be all talk but that proves my point.
"Looking to give up his/her life . . ." I concur plenty of military will say they dislike liberalism/liberals, but that's a far cry from what toasted said.

i agree some left wing sites are bad, though I haven't seen anything as bad as breitbart on the left.

i basically agree with your entire post. I was simply responding to what i thought was your claim that there are no ex military looking to take out evil liberals, or at least writing such ideas. The number is non zero. And i would gather that you associate with a higher class of people, who would never talk in such a manner.
I associated with military from E1 to O10, and still do. However, the number would be nonzero. I used to visit the moonbat sites fairly often and I find it highly doubtful that Breitbart's comment section is worse.

I associated with military from E1 to O10, and still do. However, the number would be nonzero. I used to visit the moonbat sites fairly often and I find it highly doubtful that Breitbart's comment section is worse.
It all depends what you find more offensive. Both the right and left nutjob blogospheres have crazy commenters, but Breitbart is especially offensive to most because of the rampant racism and sexism. And I'm not talking subtle. You browse enough Breitbart, you'll see comments like "monkeys go back to africa!" and "kill all the camel-f***ers" and so forth. Not sure there's really a lefty equivalent of that kind of stuff.

"Looking to give up his/her life . . ." I concur plenty of military will say they dislike liberalism/liberals, but that's a far cry from what toasted said.

I wasn't the one who made the initial claim... that was ranger. So don't know what you are talking about.

I wasn't the one who made the initial claim... that was ranger. So don't know what you are talking about.
You're right. Got you mixed up by looking at responses instead of posters. Ranger is wrong too, and I'm sure I know more active military and vets then he does as well. :)

You're right. Got you mixed up by looking at responses instead of posters. Ranger is wrong too, and I'm sure I know more active military and vets then he does as well. :)
You're not even remotely trying to understand. I'm not wrong. Like I said, I could PM you six names of people who I've heard openly advocating a coup against Obama. You might choose not to believe me but you'd be wrong. And oh by the way, none of these guys were vets. They're all Navy civilians.

Again, I'm not saying that I believe they'd do it. But that's my point. Making threats on social media or at a mosque or expressing hatred for a society or a politician cannot be what is used to inform investigations. That's grasping at straws and overreacting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT