ADVERTISEMENT

In a CWS dominated by southern schools, northern talent shines

snowling

Hall of Famer
by Dick Chatelain

Picture college baseball’s best player, Brendan McKay, drawing pro scouts to Penn State or Pittsburgh.

Imagine TCU’s All-America catcher, Evan Skoug, crushing bombs for Illinois or Northwestern.

Consider LSU ace Alex Lange leading Kansas, Missouri or even Nebraska.

In a College World Series dominated again by southern schools, some of the brightest stars grew up north of the Mason-Dixon line. They left home for the nation’s hottest conferences and now they’re reaping the rewards.

“Best decision of my life,” said Skoug, who has 20 home runs this season and got drafted in the seventh round.

It’s not a new trend. Just because Big Ten schools aren’t getting to Omaha doesn’t mean the cold, hard ground doesn’t produce Omaha-caliber talent.

Andrew Benintendi, the 2015 national player of the year at Arkansas, came from Ohio. In 2016, No. 1 Florida featured A.J. Puk from Iowa, Logan Shore from Minnesota and Buddy Reed from Maryland. National champion Coastal Carolina leaned on New Yorker Zach Remillard and Pennsylvanian Anthony Marks.

This year, the cold-weather CWS kids include McKay (Chippewa, Pennsylvania), Skoug (Libertyville, Illinois), Lange (Lee’s Summit, Missouri) and a pair of Nebraskans, TCU shortstop Ryan Merrill (Millard West High School) and Texas A&M designated hitter Logan Foster (Lincoln Southwest).

“I could’ve easily gone to Nebraska and been part of their great tradition,” Foster said. “But I went with my heart.”

Each player has his reasons. But according to southern coaches, it is getting easier to recruit the best northern prospects.

“I find them to be really tough kids,” LSU coach Paul Mainieri said. “Sometimes they get overlooked a little bit, too, because their season is so much shorter. But with the travel teams, they’re becoming less of a secret.

“I think a lot of teams are starting to recognize that you can go north and get some pretty good ballplayers.”

Mainieri’s catcher, Michael Papierski, who homered against Florida State, came to LSU from suburban Chicago. Why?

“Definitely for the warm weather,” Papierski said. “You get sick of playing in the cold.”

That’s a common theme with northern kids. But it’s only half the attraction. There’s also the prestige of playing in the SEC. The appeal of playing in front of capacity crowds.

“Once I stepped in Alex Box Stadium,” Papierski said, “I knew this was my home for the next three years …

“It prepares you for the next level. That’s usually everyone’s goal who comes here.”

There’s a financial element here, too. College baseball teams are limited to 11.7 scholarships, but several SEC coaches have access to state-lottery scholarships for in-state kids. They can devote more resources to premium national prospects.

http://www.omaha.com/sports/cws/in-...cle_ae30472e-5509-11e7-aeab-6f0a34ec0134.html

Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: RBB89 and jmbennett
Great article! Thanks for passing it along.

I knew we were fighting an uphill battle with the weather, tradition, and fan following... but had no idea we were also behind on the scholly/financial end.

Makes it even tougher!

Reactions: RBB89
ADVERTISEMENT