ADVERTISEMENT

Impeachment

You’re being dismissed as too extreme, and I’m being dismissed as too assholish, but neither of us was saying anything like what we’re saying now during the Bush administration, for example. I never said or thought that GWB was a Russian stooge. I never said or thought that GWB was a sociopath. I never said or thought that GWB was corrupt. I never said or thought that GWB was a racist. I never said or thought that GWB was abusing his office for personal benefit. I never said or thought that Bushism was a form of fascism. I never imagined GWB as anything other than a conventional American President that I wanted out of office.

But today I say all those worst things about Trump, and I mean them. Either people like you and I are crazy, or his supporters are, because someone has lost his f#cking mind.

I don’t think it’s us.
And I’m too emotional. And I never spoke about Bush supporters like I do about Trump supporters. I’m really tired of people trying to normalize his behavior. It isn’t normal, he’s showing more and more signs of serious mental issues, slurring words, etc. Not even to mention his behavior. I’m never going to feel bad about opposing every single second of him and his administration.

Last edited:
You’re being dismissed as too extreme, and I’m being dismissed as too assholish, but neither of us was saying anything like what we’re saying now during the Bush administration, for example. I never said or thought that GWB was a Russian stooge. I never said or thought that GWB was a sociopath. I never said or thought that GWB was corrupt. I never said or thought that GWB was a racist. I never said or thought that GWB was abusing his office for personal benefit. I never said or thought that Bushism was a form of fascism. I never imagined GWB as anything other than a conventional American President that I wanted out of office.
But today I say all those worst things about Trump, and I mean them. Either people like you and I are crazy, or his supporters are, because someone has lost his f#cking mind.

I don’t think it’s us.

Excellent post. Well stated.

Yeah...I have watched your transformation over all these years. Trump seems like something new but it seems more accurate to say that Trump simply brings out in the open what was always implicit in the GOP.
There were several precursors to Trump that prove your point that Republicans have displayed nasty Trumpesque qualities for several years now.

Newt Gingrich, Dick Cheney and Sarah Palin displayed one or all of the following Trumplike qualities at various times in expressing their extreme political positions: dismissive (of differing views), callousness to the needy, simplistic, condescending, biased, dogmatic, uncompromising, ill-informed and vindictive.

The difference is that Trump got elected by being willing to lie about absolutely everything (when they weren't willing to go that far) and, after elected, by refusing to follow the rules of law and other conventional expectations for a President. In this, he is greatly aided by the rise of social media and seemingly unlimited government money for his political rallies that let him appeal directly to his base without going through political party organizations and state chairmen/chairwomen.

But I agree that others in the GOP displayed similar negative qualities for several years in a more subdued form than Trump has bombarded us with.

You really believe this?
I'm afraid he does.
There's a good chance all of this impeachment stuff is being pushed behind the scenes by Hilary. She's never forgiven what the GOP did to Bill in 98, and she wants both that scarlet letter to be hung on Trump AND to whip him in 2020. She's popping out of the cake at the DNC convention as the draftee to replace a failed nomination from the primaries. She wants the gig, but she doesn't want to have to "do the work" done in the primaries. She wants an anointment from the party and still very much controls the purse strings as well as the media.
This has been my prediction for the last year or so. They'd impeach Trump, and the effort would only further divide the country, and Hillary won't run for office, but she'll have them crown her at the convention. Trump v Hildabeast 2.0.

I'm afraid he does.
There's a good chance all of this impeachment stuff is being pushed behind the scenes by Hilary. She's never forgiven what the GOP did to Bill in 98, and she wants both that scarlet letter to be hung on Trump AND to whip him in 2020. She's popping out of the cake at the DNC convention as the draftee to replace a failed nomination from the primaries. She wants the gig, but she doesn't want to have to "do the work" done in the primaries. She wants an anointment from the party and still very much controls the purse strings as well as the media.
This has been my prediction for the last year or so. They'd impeach Trump, and the effort would only further divide the country, and Hillary won't run for office, but she'll have them crown her at the convention. Trump v Hildabeast 2.0.
maxresdefault.jpg

According to The History Place, President Bill Clinton was impeached for committing two acts of perjury, one act of obstruction of justice and one act of abuse of power to commit perjury. The investigations involved Clinton's extramarital affair with Monica Lewinsky and Paula Jones' allegations of sexual harassment.
Two of the acts of perjury involved lying about the extra-marital affair with Monica Lewinsky. The other count and the obstruction of justice charge involved the sexual harassment case regarding Paula C. Jones in addition to the perjury, and he was stripped of his law license.

I don’t think it’s us.

It's you.

The fellow Sparty responds to the evidence presented in the impeachment hearings by ignoring all of it and spinning out a fantasy about Hillary Clinton. There is a good deal about Trump that is new...his affinity for dictatorships over democracies for example. But there is a good deal surrounding the rejection of reality that isn't new at all.

There were several precursors to Trump that prove your point that Republicans have displayed nasty Trumpesque qualities for several years now.

Newt Gingrich, Dick Cheney and Sarah Palin displayed one or all of the following Trumplike qualities at various times in expressing their extreme political positions: dismissive (of differing views), callousness to the needy, simplistic, condescending, biased, dogmatic, uncompromising, ill-informed and vindictive.

The difference is that Trump got elected by being willing to lie about absolutely everything (when they weren't willing to go that far) and, after elected, by refusing to follow the rules of law and other conventional expectations for a President. In this, he is greatly aided by the rise of social media and seemingly unlimited government money for his political rallies that let him appeal directly to his base without going through political party organizations and state chairmen/chairwomen.

But I agree that others in the GOP displayed similar negative qualities for several years in a more subdued form than Trump has bombarded us with.
I think your post does a good job of tying some things together coherently.

And I’m too emotional. And I never spoke about Bush supporters like I do about Trump supporters. I’m really tired of people trying to normalize his behavior. It isn’t normal, he’s showing more and more signs of serious mental issues, slurring words, etc. Not even to mention his behavior. I’m never goin* to feel bad about opposing every single second of him and his administration.m
I agree with all of that. All except the part that you are "too emotional".

Reactions: Rockfish1
I'm afraid he does.

This is what a true derangement syndrome looks like.

Oh my goodness. You really believe this kind of crap? I don’t know what we can do to make our country think again, but this is really sad. I wonder where you get your news, but I’m afraid to ask. Unless you don’t want people to just dismiss you as a tin foil guy, I suggest you get a better source before trying to interact with others. This is embarrassing, man.
I'm afraid he does.

The fellow Sparty responds to the evidence presented in the impeachment hearings by ignoring all of it and spinning out a fantasy about Hillary Clinton. There is a good deal about Trump that is new...his affinity for dictatorships over democracies for example. But there is a good deal surrounding the rejection of reality that isn't new at all.
I would suggest that some balanced reading sources are in order for you before passing judgement is fully cured. Recommended, but not anticipated.

According to The History Place, President Bill Clinton was impeached for committing two acts of perjury, one act of obstruction of justice and one act of abuse of power to commit perjury. The investigations involved Clinton's extramarital affair with Monica Lewinsky and Paula Jones' allegations of sexual harassment.
Two of the acts of perjury involved lying about the extra-marital affair with Monica Lewinsky. The other count and the obstruction of justice charge involved the sexual harassment case regarding Paula C. Jones in addition to the perjury, and he was stripped of his law license.
According to your posts, you're a loon.

Karl Rove to Ron Suskind in 2004:

The aide said that guys like me were 'in what we call the reality-based community,' which he defined as people who 'believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality.' [...] 'That's not the way the world really works anymore,' he continued. 'We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality—judiciously, as you will—we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors...and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do'.​

Reactions: tooold4
I would suggest that some balanced reading sources are in order for you before passing judgement is fully cured. Recommended, but not anticipated.
I provided a set of links from a balanced set of sources for my posts above. You provided some links on Bill Clinton's impeachment that have nothing to do with your claim that Hillary Clinton is behind the push towards impeaching Trump.

I am sure that Hillary Clinton supports impeachment. I am sure that she is upset that Trump became President instead of her. But the decision to impeach was made by the House of Representatives. Pelosi had resisted calls to impeach previously but it became clear that Trump was engaged in criminal bribery and extortion threatening an ally in order to invent a case against Joe Biden for domestic political purposes. At that point Pelosi and congress had to act. It is clear now that there is literally nothing Trump might do that will cause folks like you to reconsider your support. The stoogification of the GOP from stem to stern is now quite advanced. Trump, as Rick Perry earnestly says, is the "chosen one". Rubicons are being crossed.

Karl Rove to Ron Suskind in 2004:

The aide said that guys like me were 'in what we call the reality-based community,' which he defined as people who 'believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality.' [...] 'That's not the way the world really works anymore,' he continued. 'We're an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you're studying that reality—judiciously, as you will—we'll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out. We're history's actors...and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do'.​
Exactly.

This thread contains buckets of stupid. Half of it reads like a Fox comments section and I'm diminished for looking through all the posts.

NOTHING you mentioned has ANYTHING to do with the failed land deal in Arkansas (Whitewater) that the AG (Janet Reno) authorized (GOP) Attorney Bob Fiske to investigate (as Special Prosecutor) in Jan 1994. When Fiske returned his interim report on June 30 he concluded that Clinton had NOT interfered with the Resolution Trust Corp and had NOT obstructed justice.

At that point, butthurt Republicans turned to the courts and over Reno's objections on Aug 5th, David Sentelle (a Jesse Helms protege) appointed Ken Starr to serve as Independent Council...The rest is History, although Congress did not vote to commence hearings on Impeachment till Oct 1998, 4 yrs AFTER the initial investigation into Whitewater...

All of which completely reveals the hypocrisy of Trump Defenders within the GOP to the current situation. Clinton was originally cleared by a REPUBLICAN,and then hyper partisanship (in the form of Sentelle appointing Starr prevailed). Other "notable" Sentelle decisions, pardoning Oliver North,John Poindexter,and upholding the suspension of habeas corpus for enemy combatants...

Kind of renders claims that Dems have been trying to impeach Trump since he was elected as moot, considering how long Pubs salivated over "getting" Clinton. Whitewater makes the Mueller Investigation and Ukrainegate look like a walk in the park comparatively since the original investigation started less than 2 yrs into Clinton's first term and lasted well into his second...

And unlike these current spineless Pubs, Dems co operated with the investigation into Clinton. The Pubs Controlled BOTH Houses of Congress, so again all these attacks on House Dems as hyper partisan are more than a little bit disengenuous.

Are you ever going to respond to the facts I present, or just continue to post nonsense here. Please address the hypocrisy of people like Lindsey Graham who were all gung ho over investigating Clinton for 4 yrs and advocating he had sullied the office,and is not willing to apply the same standards to Trump's conduct, which is much more serious...

Last edited:
Reactions: hoot1
I'm afraid he does.

I can’t properly convey how much I envy you.

We have all experienced a favorite sports team lose to an opponent who gets creamed the following game by playing poorly. This makes the loss hurt more. You ask yourself, Why did we lose to those bums?

If Trump surprised the Hillary voters by doing an acceptable job as president in their eyes, they could accept the defeat more gracefully. Instead they ask themselves, How did we let that bum beat us?

Reactions: cosmickid
If Trump surprised the Hillary voters by doing an acceptable job as president without breaking the law or ignoring the Constitutional powers of Congress, they could accept the defeat more gracefully. Instead they ask themselves, How did we let that bum beat us?
FIFY. You left out part of it.

Reactions: hoot1 and cosmickid
We have all experienced a favorite sports team lose to an opponent who gets creamed the following game by playing poorly. This makes the loss hurt more. You ask yourself, Why did we lose to those bums?

If Trump surprised the Hillary voters by doing an acceptable job as president in their eyes, they could accept the defeat more gracefully. Instead they ask themselves, How did we let that bum beat us?
Your post suffers from the analogy to sports in which everyone agrees to compete according to rules. It also suffers from a bothsiderism that is not consistent with our current reality.

Your post suffers from the analogy to sports in which everyone agrees to compete according to rules. It also suffers from a bothsiderism that is not consistent with our current reality.

I was trying to say if Trump played by the rules and was a half way decent president we wouldn't feel so bad about losing to him.

This also is a response to those who contend the impeachment is due to us being bad losers with the impeachment inquiry being without merit.

NOTHING you mentioned has ANYTHING to do with the failed land deal in Arkansas (Whitewater) that the AG (Janet Reno) authorized (GOP) Attorney Bob Fiske to investigate (as Special Prosecutor) in Jan 1994. When Fiske returned his interim report on June 30 he concluded that Clinton had NOT interfered with the Resolution Trust Corp and had NOT obstructed justice.

At that point, butthurt Republicans turned to the courts and over Reno's objections on Aug 5th, David Sentelle (a Jesse Helms protege) appointed Ken Starr to serve as Independent Council...The rest is History, although Congress did not vote to commence hearings on Impeachment till Oct 1998, 4 yrs AFTER the initial investigation into Whitewater...

All of which completely reveals the hypocrisy of Trump Defenders within the GOP to the current situation. Clinton was originally cleared by a REPUBLICAN,and then hyper partisanship (in the form of Sentelle appointing Starr prevailed). Other "notable" Sentelle decisions, pardoning Oliver North,John Poindexter,and upholding the suspension of habeas corpus for enemy combatants...

Kind of renders claims that Dems have been trying to impeach Trump since he was elected as moot, considering how long Pubs salivated over "getting" Clinton. Whitewater makes the Mueller Investigation and Ukrainegate look like a walk in the park comparatively since the original investigation started less than 2 yrs into Clinton's first term and lasted well into his second...

And unlike these current spineless Pubs, Dems co operated with the investigation into Clinton. The Pubs Controlled BOTH Houses of Congress, so again all these attacks on House Dems as hyper partisan are more than a little bit disengenuous.

Are you ever going to respond to the facts I present, or just continue to post nonsense here. Please address the hypocrisy of people like Lindsey Graham who were all gung ho over investigating Clinton for 4 yrs and advocating he had sullied the office,and is not willing to apply the same standards to Trump's conduct, which is much more serious...
2016 I thought "arrogant, won't keep his promises, likely won't finish the race". Now I'm looking at the ineptness of the elected officials, the arrogance of the unelected bureaucracy, and the flat out lying of both elected officials and the media as a whole....and I'm thinking we're utterly screwed as a country. Whatever Trump might be doing pales in comparison to the activity of the media ( see large international corporations) and the swamp of D.C.
<arms flailing about Trump>, Where's Hunter? lmao...screw Hunter and his dad, but that's a poster for D.C., and we're sheep for continuing to enable it.

I'm afraid he does.
Holy shit. I want some of your drugs.

2016 I thought "arrogant, won't keep his promises, likely won't finish the race". Now I'm looking at the ineptness of the elected officials, the arrogance of the unelected bureaucracy, and the flat out lying of both elected officials and the media as a whole....and I'm thinking we're utterly screwed as a country. Whatever Trump might be doing pales in comparison to the activity of the media ( see large international corporations) and the swamp of D.C.
<arms flailing about Trump>, Where's Hunter? lmao...screw Hunter and his dad, but that's a poster for D.C., and we're sheep for continuing to enable it.

Sparty, what you saw at the impeachment inquiry were "arrogant unelected bureaucrats".

I saw competent articulate dedicated patriotic public servants who play by the rules.

The arrogant one is the guy in the Oval Office whose main concern is being reelected and plays by his own rules.

Not saying you are wrong. Just saying we see things differently.

Last edited:
It is worth talking about what other level things are being taken too. Currently folks like Rick Perry are publicly saying that Trump is the "chosen one". That is, Trump is a messiah. Other evangelists are saying that those who oppose Trump are "demonic". These "religious" followers are prepping and being prepped for holy war. They are hungering for apocalypse. If they get a chance they will murder people like me...and then, if people like you object, they will murder you too. There is no analog to this on the left, let alone among Democrats broadly.
I liked this post because it cracks me up. I don’t know anywhere else I can find humor like this.

Someone last week said that, if re-elected, Trump will start jailing critics and install himself as dictator, and now his supporters are preparing for a holy war. That’s freakin great.

I liked this post because it cracks me up. I don’t know anywhere else I can find humor like this.

Someone last week said that, if re-elected, Trump will start jailing critics and install himself as dictator, and now his supporters are preparing for a holy war. That’s freakin great.
A lot of folks take the snippets they get from the media as fact. They don't read things in entirety to get the context. They quote what they've been told by the media, and the media is lying to them.
Joe Biden kicked off his presidential campaign last year with a very expensive video in which he advised the country that the entire reason he is running is because he feels he must given the comments Trump made in favor of white nationalism with regards to the event in Charlottesville. Problem is that Biden is lying about what he said, as is the media, and people are falling for it.
Trump never literally said that all Mexicans are rapists, but CNN wants folks to believe this to be true. Lazy because they refuse to do their own research. Lemmings.

A lot of folks take the snippets they get from the media as fact. They don't read things in entirety to get the context. They quote what they've been told by the media, and the media is lying to them.
Joe Biden kicked off his presidential campaign last year with a very expensive video in which he advised the country that the entire reason he is running is because he feels he must given the comments Trump made in favor of white nationalism with regards to the event in Charlottesville. Problem is that Biden is lying about what he said, as is the media, and people are falling for it.
Trump never literally said that all Mexicans are rapists, but CNN wants folks to believe this to be true. Lazy because they refuse to do their own research. Lemmings.

Please list all of the places you get your news from. I’m genuinely curious.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
LOL

while i jumped GWB for lying to get us into the Iraq war, (for which a president should be impeached and thrown in prison, and never let out), i should have jumped LBJ and Nixon as well, for their lies about Vietnam, for which they are responsible for the deaths of tens of thousands of Americans, and the injuries of many more.

as bad as Trump is, he isn't even on the same level of scum as LBJ, Nixon, and GWB. (and maybe JFK belongs in that group too).

why is it we don't hold prezes accountable for their most egregious sins.

Oh is that kind of like Hillary never said Trump supporters are deplorable ? But actually at this point, they are. I saw no one in the media imply Trump said they all were. And do you honestly expect us to believe in that video that’s the only reason he said he was running? Again, you really shouldn’t be lecturing anyone on news sources or context, because you clearly have an issue with yours. You come on here spouting insane conspiracy theories and treat them as fact. Then dismiss the facts you have been given.

Reactions: Rockfish1
Oh is that kind of like Hillary never said Trump supporters are deplorable ? But actually at this point, they are. I saw no one in the media imply Trump said they all were. And do you honestly expect us to believe in that video that’s the only reason he said he was running? Again, you really shouldn’t be lecturing anyone on news sources or context, because you clearly have an issue with yours. You come on here spouting insane conspiracy theories and treat them as fact. Then dismiss the facts you have been given.

A quote that will serve you well when dealing with certain people.

“A man with conviction is a hard man to change. Tell him you disagree and he turns away. Show him facts or figures and he questions your sources. Appeal to logic and he fails to see your point.”

Leon Festinger, A Theory of Cognitive Dissonance

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT