ADVERTISEMENT

I'm Glad This Guy Is Our Coach!

Tom Allen is the guy I'd want coaching my grandsons...

Good Article on his relationship with his father and his path to the coaching profession...:

http://www.wthr.com/article/kravitz...allen-follows-in-his-ailing-fathers-footsteps
Agreed.

I'm not that old but I guess I'm old school because I believe character still matters when it comes to leadership - - leadership of any kind. Allen is clearly a person of character. I'm glad he got this gig, and I'm really rooting for his success.

Agreed.

I'm not that old but I guess I'm old school because I believe character still matters when it comes to leadership - - leadership of any kind. Allen is clearly a person of character. I'm glad he got this gig, and I'm really rooting for his success.

I hope his level of success in college coaching is as high as his success as a human being.

He seems like a great guy. That said, when Purdue fans say this about someone like Painter all IU fans can do is oink and tell them they are just settling. Double standards running high around here.

He seems like a great guy. That said, when Purdue fans say this about someone like Painter all IU fans can do is oink and tell them they are just settling. Double standards running high around here.

IU fans were saying that three games into Painter's coaching career?

Reactions: IUgradman
She was asked, “If you’re husband was here right now, what would he be doing?”

“Are you kidding,” Jane replied. “He’d be in the student section! High up in the student section!”

https://www.crimsonquarry.com/2017/9/20/16333168/terry-hoeppners-legacy-lives-on-at-indiana

(There's at least one person here who is going to be horrifically offended by this display of enthusiasm. For that I truly apologize.)
Yeah whoever said that about Allen is a moron. Football is a emotional excitable game, that is one thing I do love about CTA wear that emotion on your sleeve

“Are you kidding,” Jane replied. “He’d be in the student section! High up in the student section!”

https://www.crimsonquarry.com/2017/9/20/16333168/terry-hoeppners-legacy-lives-on-at-indiana

(There's at least one person here who is going to be horrifically offended by this display of enthusiasm. For that I truly apologize.)

First thing that comes to mind..

First thing that comes to mind..
So are you just supposed to never show any emotion and be a statue? I just don't understand why the big deal about being a little hyper and full of energy. Doesn't make you a bad coach automatically , it's not like he went running into the stands after the first TD. Jeez

Good post, RBB. Allen is similar to Coach Hep in so many respects: high football IQ, Indiana lineage, articulate, enthusiastic, outstanding character, and the holder of his dream job. I have no doubt we'd be enjoying 8/9 win seasons if Hep had survived. We saw the fruits of his labor in 2007 (the "Play 13," Insight Bowl season), with a 7-5 regular season record and a team that had players on both sides of the ball (e.g. Greg Middleton who led the nation in sacks, Tracy Porter, James Hardy, etc.). I believe we're going to see this kind of trajectory with Coach Allen, and one that lasts many seasons.

So are you just supposed to never show any emotion and be a statue? I just don't understand why the big deal about being a little hyper and full of energy. Doesn't make you a bad coach automatically , it's not like he went running into the stands after the first TD. Jeez

I didn't make any comment other than that was the first thing that came to my mind after seeing that video. All that other stuff was just buried down deep inside of you and came out..lol So, maybe you can answer your own question.

I didn't make any comment other than that was the first thing that came to my mind after seeing that video. All that other stuff was just buried down deep inside of you and came out..lol So, maybe you can answer your own question.
my bad

I know, but I'll always have a little smile deep down inside when I remember Tom Crean as the head basketball coach at IU. Thank you for that..

I know, but I'll always have a little smile deep down inside when I remember Tom Crean as the head basketball coach at IU. Thank you for that..

You're welcome. Now the basketball board is about 5 miles back and on your left...;)

Reactions: td75
I'm going to be that guy who says it: I love the fact that CTA is a Christian. There. I said it. Come at me, bro(s).
Nothing wrong with that sentiment but, as a Christian myself, I will add this. I know more than a few non-Christians who are more Christ-like than many so-called Christians. So my view is that I'm glad he's a Christian who, by all accounts, is a good person and striving to live the gospels.

Nothing wrong with that sentiment but, as a Christian myself, I will add this. I know more than a few non-Christians who are more Christ-like than many so-called Christians. So my view is that I'm glad he's a Christian who, by all accounts, is a good person and striving to live the gospels.

Well said. Thanks.

I don't disagree with that. Some are closer with their walk than others. I do believe that CTA walks the walk. Perhaps I'm wrong in that assessment, but it's what I feel in my heart. I'll give him a greater birth because of that be it right or wrong.

In all fairness, though, coaches are judged on their body of work and Painter has a whole lot of games under his belt. His results are mediocre, and so maybe these comments about "settling" when talking about a guy who has coached 12 years in the league versus 2 games, has a little more substance?

I don't disagree with that. Some are closer with their walk than others. I do believe that CTA walks the walk. Perhaps I'm wrong in that assessment, but it's what I feel in my heart. I'll give him a greater birth because of that be it right or wrong.
I'm with you. It's easy to like this guy, and to wish him success.

Reactions: ZildjianZLine
Hell, Mike Davis was 9-2 against Purdue. That probably brings a smile as well!

post-28010-Jack-Nicholson-YES-gif-horny-s-UQel.gif

It took Painter twelve seasons to go to three Sweet Sixteens and win two conference titles. It took Crean eight.

who's mike davis? Oh yeah, he did something Bob Knight couldn't, have a winning record against Purdue. I guess that makes him your best coach ever, just ahead of Crean. Glory days of Mike Davis..
Somewhere there are sheep waiting to be inseminated - which means you have a busy day ahead of you. You shouldn't be wasting your energy here.

Baaaa. Run along now.

who's mike davis? Oh yeah, he did something Bob Knight couldn't, have a winning record against Purdue. I guess that makes him your best coach ever, just ahead of Crean. Glory days of Mike Davis..
You're really struggling here man. If you were a fan of UK, Duke, etc you'd have a point. Hell, if you were a fan of OSU, Michigan, MSU, etc I would understand you poking fun.

But Purdue? Seriously? You guys are a complete dumpster fire and completely irrelevant on the national stage. Purdue athletics as a whole are a joke. Have been for decades. It's comparable to an IUFB fan posting on ND's board about Kelly as if IUFB is even remotely in the same ballpark as ND.

Get a clue man...and maybe a life as well. Unreal.

In all fairness, though, coaches are judged on their body of work and Painter has a whole lot of games under his belt. His results are mediocre, and so maybe these comments about "settling" when talking about a guy who has coached 12 years in the league versus 2 games, has a little more substance?

Just a few stats: At Purdue alone, Painter has averaged 22 wins per season, made the NCAAs 9/12 times (75%), won the conference twice, and been in the top 4 of the conference 8/12 times (67%). He hasn't made it past the sweet 16, but if you take off your "hate of all things Purdue glasses" I don't think anyone can objectively say those kinds of results are mediocre. To put it in perspective, here are Izzo's stats, a coach that most anyone in college basketball would say is far and away a better coach: 24 wins per season, made the NCAAs 20/22 times (90%), won the conference 4 times, and been in the top 4 of the conference 16/22 (72%) times. Not a huge stat difference, but Izzo has a lot more tourney success making deep runs.

Just a few stats: At Purdue alone, Painter has averaged 22 wins per season, made the NCAAs 9/12 times (75%), won the conference twice, and been in the top 4 of the conference 8/12 times (67%). He hasn't made it past the sweet 16, but if you take off your "hate of all things Purdue glasses" I don't think anyone can objectively say those kinds of results are mediocre. To put it in perspective, here are Izzo's stats, a coach that most anyone in college basketball would say is far and away a better coach: 24 wins per season, made the NCAAs 20/22 times (90%), won the conference 4 times, and been in the top 4 of the conference 16/22 (72%) times. Not a huge stat difference, but Izzo has a lot more tourney success making deep runs.
cool story bro here's a fun fact for you. We don't care we hate all things purdue like you hate all things IU

cool story bro here's a fun fact for you. We don't care we hate all things purdue like you hate all things IU

Bloomington is a nice town. I worked at IU for over a decade and have a masters degree from the institution. I just prefer my undergrad degree from Purdue more. Just trying to have a factual conversation... something it looks like most of you are incapable of doing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT