ADVERTISEMENT

I'm done with the NFL.

Eppy99

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2001
I think I say this every six months or so, but I haven't watched a full game yet and I've survived. My interest has been decreasing each year for the past 5 or so and I think I'm finally ready to quit the NFL. If it wasn't for fantasy/Draftkings I would have quit much earlier. I have no interest in watching anymore unless I literally have nothing to do.

I think there's a combination of reasons that have taken a toll on my interest level.

1) my kids are more important and take up a lot of time
2) the quality of play has really slipped
3) the changes in rules and instant replay
4) the Colts suck right now
5) I hate going to the games anymore

As for injuries and the protesting I don't think that has affected me at all.

For those that play on Draftkings with me, I will no longer be setting up the NFL contests. It's not hard to do and I'm sure someone will take the lead. I still love playing PGA on DK so I'll be continuing to set up those tournaments.

Perhaps now, I can read some more books, learn to play the guitar, have more sex with the wife, the possibilites are endless.........

Oh, and I reserve the right to change my opinion.....:)

Reactions: IU40IU and twenty02
I've watched a few games off and on and the league itself just sucks. It's really gotten to be like the NBA. It's all about controversy and advertising and not much about the play on the field. The entire league is like a soap opera and much like ESPN did to the NBA, they are now doing to the NFL. Talk shows go on and on and on about the off field issues, the anthem protests, etc. I know this has been going on for awhile now, but it's gotten a ton worse over the past couple of years.

I might watch the Colts a little bit more if they were watchable, but honestly, I'm about like you.....I'm just over the dang drama.

Reactions: 76-1 and Lucy01
I think I say this every six months or so, but I haven't watched a full game yet and I've survived. My interest has been decreasing each year for the past 5 or so and I think I'm finally ready to quit the NFL. If it wasn't for fantasy/Draftkings I would have quit much earlier. I have no interest in watching anymore unless I literally have nothing to do.

I think there's a combination of reasons that have taken a toll on my interest level.

For those that play on Draftkings with me, I will no longer be setting up the NFL contests. It's not hard to do and I'm sure someone will take the lead. I still love playing PGA on DK so I'll be continuing to set up those tournaments.

Perhaps now, I can read some more books, learn to play the guitar, have more sex with the wife, the possibilites are endless.........

For me personally I have found the older I get the less interests I have. I used to live and die by how the Packers did. I still watch and root for them but it seems a little less important.

As far as other NFL games unless I have a small wager involved I simply don't watch.

I think I say this every six months or so, but I haven't watched a full game yet and I've survived. My interest has been decreasing each year for the past 5 or so and I think I'm finally ready to quit the NFL. If it wasn't for fantasy/Draftkings...

I dont know if I'll be able to afford playing if you quit...could you just deposit $5 to my account every week or two?
Easy money...

Reactions: Eppy99
My three kids are now all in college, so I have more time than I did 10 years ago. Family time is important, but doesn't take me away that much since there is no more band practice, lacrosse games, HS games, HS concerts, etc. to see.

The parity makes the NFL tough to watch, as there are fewer really good teams. The increased injury awareness on top of a hard salary cap and a 46 man active day roster makes it tough to get good football when injuries hit. You get guys signed on Wednesday, playing on Sunday.

I'm in it until the GOAT player and GOAT coach both hang 'em up, at least. This is a dynasty like no other and would be a shame to miss. It would be like growing up in the 60s and ignoring the Beatles.

NFL isn't a sport and hasn't been for quite a while, it's a celebrity hero factory and an excuse for grown men to gossip.

i I am down to watching whatever team I follow in almost every sport. I can no longer just watch a random game and enjoy it with the exception of college basketball.

Football games, especially college, have been taken over by replay reviews and TV timeouts. 60 minutes of action can take 4 hours to complete. The only way I can sit that long is if I am at the game and have nothing else to do. I said at the game on Saturday that TV is ruining the pace of a football game. There was over 10 minutes between a time out at a 3rd down, the punt after the failed 3rd down conversion and punt before the other team was ready to run a play.

I have to really like a team to put up with that crap.

Reactions: cryano
I've watched a few games off and on and the league itself just sucks. It's really gotten to be like the NBA. It's all about controversy and advertising and not much about the play on the field. The entire league is like a soap opera and much like ESPN did to the NBA, they are now doing to the NFL. Talk shows go on and on and on about the off field issues, the anthem protests, etc. I know this has been going on for awhile now, but it's gotten a ton worse over the past couple of years.

I might watch the Colts a little bit more if they were watchable, but honestly, I'm about like you.....I'm just over the dang drama.
Turning it on at kickoff and turning it off at the horn will help with some of that, but the 3 hours of play still sucks more and more every year just like you said.

Reactions: crossfire74
For me personally I have found the older I get the less interests I have. I used to live and die by how the Packers did. I still watch and root for them but it seems a little less important.

As far as other NFL games unless I have a small wager involved I simply don't watch.
All of that is well and good, but where in the hell were the 10/13 Friday's Funnies????

I’ve been done with the NFL for a long time, since one of the many labor disputes. 2001? Actually, 1987 probably.

Who wants to watch dancing with the stars after every play anyway? Seems if they practiced football as much as they practiced their signature moves, it would be less painful to watch.

Now, get off my lawn!

Reactions: 76-1
I’ve been done with the NFL for a long time, since one of the many labor disputes. 2001? Actually, 1987 probably.

Who wants to watch dancing with the stars after every play anyway? Seems if they practiced football as much as they practiced their signature moves, it would be less painful to watch.

Now, get off my lawn!
That Eagles baseball HR celebration was pretty top-notch entertainment though last weekend.
Jordan Howard running for the Bears and Coleman on the falcons is interesting. Its a 'changing of the guard in the NFL right now...which probably causes 30+ aged guys to lose interest as their favorites are getting out of the game.

I'll say it again. The NHL and MLB is where it's at.

NFL and NBA......well, yea. I agree with you.

I don't even enjoy going to IU football games. The games last way too long. Time outs galore. It's out of hand. And he game day atmosphere sucks. It's a bunch of noise and stupid giveaways.

Get off my lawn!!

No regrets so far. Much easier to quit than I anticipated. Also freed up a lot of time not having to worry about fantasy football.

ADVERTISEMENT