ADVERTISEMENT

I'll start throwing out the names......(10 to consider)

Big Red Crimson Buffalo

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2001
.......up for debate. Who is the new OC?

1. Bob Stitt - generally considered one of the great offensive minds. Currently at Texas St.
  2. Mike Sanford - OC at Utah St. Been virtually everywhere.
  3. Bodie Reeder - former OC at Eastern Washington and now with North Texas
  4. Kerwin Bell - USF OC, former Florida assistant, knows the Florida area very well.
  5. Will Hall - OC @ Tulane, former West Alabama and West Georgia head coach. Strong recruiter in south.
  6. David Yost - OC, Texas Tech. Semifinalst for the Broyles Award in 2018. The hair alone should get him a look. Known as a QB-whisperer.
  7. Mike Yurchic - QB coach / OSU passing game coordinator. Is on 2-year contract at $950,000 per year.
  8. Tom Manning - Iowa State OC, former Colt TE coach, he is making $650k per season.
  9. Kendal Briles - Likely targeted as the new OC at Arkansas but had prolific offenses in Houston and Baylor.
  10. Rich Rod - not expected to be retained at Ole Miss after the firing of Matt Luke. The guy has been a head coach everywhere and is from the Midwest and considered a top offensive mind. Disregard the shenanigans at Arizona.

Reactions: Sassy61
Good recruiter. Coached with Mike Norvell. We could probably afford him. Not sure his salary at ND. He may end up on the FSU staff in the end but not as OC.

Impressive resume for this guy....and the fact that Brian Kelly doesn't like him might be a plus rather than a minus.

He was the Broyles Award RU in 2018, and the OC and Recruiting Coordinator for Norvell at Memphis. Only 36 years old.

I'd be concerned that he might end up at FSU in a year or two in some capacity if Norvell doesn't hire him now.

How about this fellow:

https://uclabruins.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/justin-frye/3453

We need to fully utilize our stable of potentially great Running Backs and Frye might be just the guy to do it...

Roll in most of this years passing attack with Fryes approach to the Run Game and we just might have found a way to punch the bullies of the Big Ten right in the chops!

Seems to be too run-oriented. He coached many years at BC.....who is more conservative than BC?

That said, he was a heck of a player and a tough guy. I'd love to see him back here in some capacity, but CTA's never seemed interested in that.

Reactions: DGJRieman

1. Bob Stitt - generally considered one of the great offensive minds. Currently at Texas St.
  4. Kerwin Bell - USF OC, former Florida assistant, knows the Florida area very well.
  5. Will Hall - OC @ Tulane, former West Alabama and West Georgia head coach. Strong recruiter in south.
  6. David Yost - OC, Texas Tech. Semifinalst for the Broyles Award in 2018. The hair alone should get him a look. Known as a QB-whisperer.
  7. Mike Yurchic - QB coach / OSU passing game coordinator. Is on 2-year contract at $950,000 per year.
  8. Tom Manning - Iowa State OC, former Colt TE coach, he is making $650k per season.
  9. Kendal Briles - Likely targeted as the new OC at Arkansas but had prolific offenses in Houston and Baylor.
  10. Rich Rod - not expected to be retained at Ole Miss after the firing of Matt Luke. The guy has been a head coach everywhere and is from the Midwest and considered a top offensive mind. Disregard the shenanigans at Arizona.

Kind of not looking for older guys (or dare I say re-treads). Yost hair is really something. Maybe too much of an "air-coryell" type offense.

Yurchic would be top of list given he's been at Ok St (big offenses) and Ohio St. The OSU part would add some great street cred with Hart at RB! These are the type of guys would like to see IU get, but getting him to switch to IU within B10 East...hard to see even if offer him $1M, but guess he might consider given he's not the official OC. And at IU, OC really has autonomy!

Maybe Briles good one due to his past, been all over south, probably a lot of recruiting connections. Appears to be looking at Ole Miss or Arkansas, but maybe IU could get in there with him if Allen has any connection to him via his past coaching days?

Rest of the list and schools at don't overly excite me. I'm interested in QB coaches from Clemson or big SEC schools, places that send WR and QB's to the league. OC at IU has autonomy and a chance to look like a total stud given if you beat OSU/UM, you start to punch your ticket!

Get Bob Stitt. He’s considered the “Yoda” of college offense. He invented the fly sweep, and he’s a master of designing screens.

Kind of not looking for older guys (or dare I say re-treads). Yost hair is really something. Maybe too much of an "air-coryell" type offense.

Yurchic would be top of list given he's been at Ok St (big offenses) and Ohio St. The OSU part would add some great street cred with Hart at RB! These are the type of guys would like to see IU get, but getting him to switch to IU within B10 East...hard to see even if offer him $1M, but guess he might consider given he's not the official OC. And at IU, OC really has autonomy!

Maybe Briles good one due to his past, been all over south, probably a lot of recruiting connections. Appears to be looking at Ole Miss or Arkansas, but maybe IU could get in there with him if Allen has any connection to him via his past coaching days?

Rest of the list and schools at don't overly excite me. I'm interested in QB coaches from Clemson or big SEC schools, places that send WR and QB's to the league. OC at IU has autonomy and a chance to look like a total stud given if you beat OSU/UM, you start to punch your ticket!

Yurchic was the OC at Okie St but left there to take a lesser role (QB Coach) at OSU. Definitely a pipe dream especially with Fields for at least one more year. I’d definitely call but this isn’t happening. I have complete faith that CTA will make a good hire.

I don’t think he invented the fly sweep. I think it was a high school coach in Colorado whose name escapes me at this time. But he is one of the first to use it in college.

Stitt was the coach of Colorado school of Mines. He’s the Colorado guy.

Needs to be a stand up triple, if not a home run hire. I don't want to regress!!!

Allen has a LOT to sell a potential OC from a personnel perspective. Ramsey and particularly Penix, should have potential candidates chomping at the bit. Throw in Stevie, a maturing Sampson James, Whop Philyor at WR and a very good TE in Hendershot, and it's an attractive group.

Get Bob Stitt. He’s considered the “Yoda” of college offense. He invented the fly sweep, and he’s a master of designing screens.
Yea I've been following him for years and Colorado took good long looks at him BUT passed. He is innovative!

Not dogging you at all BRCB...I remember last year we all had our guesses and out of NOWHERE CTA grabs Deboer. I'm wondering if he has some under the radar connection from the past...Who Knows. The thing that killed all of us last year was how long it took. Were like, he gone, he gone, he gone, and then Deboer, LMAO turned out great though!

Reactions: vesuvius13
Remember that Allen went through this same exercise just 12 months ago. I’m sure there are several guys he talked to (maybe some on this list) and these coaches are all networked
He probably already had a laundry list of guys he’d talk to. I doubt this totally caught him by surprise.

Seems to be too run-oriented. He coached many years at BC.....who is more conservative than BC?

That said, he was a heck of a player and a tough guy. I'd love to see him back here in some capacity, but CTA's never seemed interested in that.

Frye has been learning the Passing Game from Chip Kelly and Dana Bible and he's evidently picked enough of it up to have been promoted to Offensive Coordinator, so he has that background working for him... Plus..., he probably wouldn't insist on bringing guys with him... That (supposedly) was the deal breaker for Canada last year...

Reactions: vesuvius13
Frye has been learning the Passing Game from Chip Kelly and Dana Bible and he's evidently picked enough of it up to have been promoted to Offensive Coordinator, so he has that background working for him... Plus..., he probably wouldn't insist on bringing guys with him... That (supposedly) was the deal breaker for Canada last year...
Thank Gawd it was a deal breaker. I think he sat on his ass all 2019 and didn't do anything. Glad we got Deboer for a year.

Instead of Rich Rod I say Rod Smith. He played for Rodriguez at Glennville. He was with him at W Virginia, Michigan and Arizona. He has also been at USF, IU and now Illinois.
Yurchic was the OC at Okie St but left there to take a lesser role (QB Coach) at OSU. Definitely a pipe dream especially with Fields for at least one more year. I’d definitely call but this isn’t happening. I have complete faith that CTA will make a good hire.

I think Yurcich could possibly be persuaded to come. He was in the running for the Ball State job and the Tulane job while at Ok State. He may not be getting the proper respect for his input as Day is known to be the play caller and Wilson is next in line since he is a former head coach as he got serious consideration from CSU for the head job. IU could offer him the same it did DeBoer the chance to be the guy on offense. IU can throw a little bit more money on top of Deboers salad and see what happens.

Stitt was the coach of Colorado school of Mines. He’s the Colorado guy.
I am pretty sure it was a high school guy but no big deal. I have watched several videos it is cool offense ran a little bit of it mixed with wing t. You don’t really have to have great blocks at point of attack. But the key is that guy hand the ball off to. We lost that guy early in the season and had to shelve it though.

Not dogging you at all BRCB...I remember last year we all had our guesses and out of NOWHERE CTA grabs Deboer. I'm wondering if he has some under the radar connection from the past...Who Knows. The thing that killed all of us last year was how long it took. Were like, he gone, he gone, he gone, and then Deboer, LMAO turned out great though!
DeBoer was actually mentioned on this site before his hire was announced--even before Debord's retirement. I would expect something similar this time, within a shorter time-frame. The new guy's name may have even already been brought up.

It also depends on the "market" for OC's this time around--who else is looking and how much $$$ can they offer?

I hope CTA doesn't take the "path of least resistance" approach and just hire another one of his pals like Dan Werner. IMO a more thorough search is needed.

Reactions: Indianaftw and 76-1
Other schools have been looking for OCs too, Penn State, Northwestern, and South Carolina among them. Here are what some commentators are saying about their options . . . might be fodder for IU to consider too.

Penn State: https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatef...ace-ricky-rahne-as-offensive-coordinator.html

Penn State: https://www.statecollege.com/news/l...ive-coordinator-hires-for-year-seven,1482020/

Northwestern: https://www.insidenu.com/2019/12/3/...-mccall-pat-fitzgerald-matt-canada-tommy-rees

South Carolina: https://www.thestate.com/sports/col...h-carolina/usc-football/article237943034.html

The name that strikes me is Joe Brady, who was the passing game coordinator for LSU this past year after having been the Saints' passing game coordinator. Burrow will be gone, and I don't know whether LSU has a quality replacement for the Heisman Trophy winner. If - and this is a big if - Brady wants an OC job to take a step toward an HC job, then IU - with 2 and potentially 4 - quality QB talents in the stable - might be an offbeat, but solid opportunity for a guy like Brady. Hart could co-exist with Brady pretty well, so long as the personalities fit, with Hart focused on coordinating the run game and soaking up what a guru like Brady would bring to the passing game.

Sure, it's a flier . . . but a guy can dream, can't he?

Reactions: Sassy61 and 76-1
Other schools have been looking for OCs too, Penn State, Northwestern, and South Carolina among them. Here are what some commentators are saying about their options . . . might be fodder for IU to consider too.

Penn State: https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatef...ace-ricky-rahne-as-offensive-coordinator.html

Penn State: https://www.statecollege.com/news/l...ive-coordinator-hires-for-year-seven,1482020/

Northwestern: https://www.insidenu.com/2019/12/3/...-mccall-pat-fitzgerald-matt-canada-tommy-rees

South Carolina: https://www.thestate.com/sports/col...h-carolina/usc-football/article237943034.html

The name that strikes me is Joe Brady, who was the passing game coordinator for LSU this past year after having been the Saints' passing game coordinator. Burrow will be gone, and I don't know whether LSU has a quality replacement for the Heisman Trophy winner. If - and this is a big if - Brady wants an OC job to take a step toward an HC job, then IU - with 2 and potentially 4 - quality QB talents in the stable - might be an offbeat, but solid opportunity for a guy like Brady. Hart could co-exist with Brady pretty well, so long as the personalities fit, with Hart focused on coordinating the run game and soaking up what a guru like Brady would bring to the passing game.

South Carolina just hired Mike Bobo a couple days ago as OC.

IIRC Oregon may be searching for an OC if they didn't/don't promote Mastro. Also, I think Herman demoted Tim Beck from OC to QB coach in Austin, so they may be searching as well. Those 2, along with possibly Penn State, are the kinds of programs that might seriously look at someone nationally known like Sanford. Or they might follow the lead of tOSU and LSU and hire some guys with NFL backgrounds.

CTA said in his press conference that his phone has been blowing up since the announcement with guys interested in the job. Hopefully this means he takes his time and does a national search.

Reactions: 76-1
CTA said in his press conference that his phone has been blowing up since the announcement with guys interested in the job. Hopefully this means he takes his time and does a national search.

I think Allen said something very important in the press conference today:

He’s keeping the DeBoer scheme. He likes it. Thinks it works well and maintains the consistency. Said something to the effect that he’s not going to put the program on its third offensive system in 4 years. I think he’ll get another guy that likes the RPO and using an athletic QB.

Any interest in major applewhite? I remember his name getting tossed around before we hired deboer last year. I just like saying his name

Reactions: Chriselli
Two things narrow the list down a bit in my mind.

One, I don't think we'll see Fred Glass taking any chances on moral "rehab projects" on his way out the door (and he'll be the guy signing off on this hire).

Two, Tom Allen just said this morning (in the video interview on this sites front page), that he planned to keep the Offensive system/concepts that we are currently running..., which narrows things down a bit...

With that in mind..., here's a name: Aaron Keen, the current OC up at Eastern Michigan...

He's beaten all three Big Ten teams that he's faced (all at their place) over the past 3 years... Granted those teams weren't world beaters but you have to remember that Eastern Michigan was scheduled by each of them to be a "sacrificial lamb" type of warm up game and they consistently (3-0) flipped the script (one of my personal favorites being their Win over the great Brohmardi :eek:, at the p u mud hole, in 2018)...:D:):D

They also beat IL down at their place this year and Rutgers at their place back in 2017...

Keen just might be a diamond in the rough...

Last edited:
Two things narrow the list down a bit in my mind.

One, I don't think we'll see Fred Glass taking any chances on moral "rehab projects" on his way out the door (and he'll be the guy signing off on this hire).

Two, Tom Allen just said this morning (in the video interview on this sites front page), that he planned to keep the Offensive system/concepts that we are currently running..., which narrows things down a bit...

With that in mind..., here's name: Aaron Keen, the current OC up at Eastern Michigan...

He's beaten all three Big Ten teams that he's faced (all at their place) over the past 3 years... Granted those teams weren't world beaters but you have to remember that Eastern Michigan was scheduled by each of them to be a "sacrificial lamb" type of warm up game and they consistently (3-0) flipped the script (one of my personal favorites being their Win over the great Brohmardi :eek:, at the p u mud hole, in 2018)...:D:):D

They also beat IL down at their place this year and Rutgers at their place back in 2017...

Keen just might be a diamond in the rough...
Didn’t know him but the wins at Pu and Illinois this year are pretty good. Maybe he’s an innovative coach.

CTA will have this job filled well before May. Or, at least, he'd better! That would mean going through spring practice with no OC!
Yes - I meant that Glass May just go through a cursory approval of the next OC since he won’t be here after the hire is coaching in the fall.

ADVERTISEMENT