ADVERTISEMENT

IHSAA announces State Tourney Changes

All players are urged not to perspire, and no physical contact of any kind will be allowed between players

Reactions: DANC
Holding out some hope that outdoor sports will go on more or less as planned. Virus can't survive in sunlight, for one thing. But pessimistically I think you may be right.
This is surreal ....

If it ends up being like the flu season it should start to drop off by the end of March or early April.

If it is more like SARS, that started in China in November 2002, confirmed in the U.S. in March 2003 with increased numbers confirmed, it was the first week of May before it appeared no new cases were identified, and by late May travel alerts started to be lifted.

If it is more like H1N1 (aka, swine flu), it started in Mexico and hit in California in April 2009, WHO announced it as an imminent pandemic and FDA approves new CDC test by end of April, schools start closing in May, officially a pandemic in June, clinical trials start in July, October reaches highest level with second wave and vaccination campaign begins, December data shows vaccine works and is offered to anyone who wants it, January 2010 numbers drop but still positive findings for months, and not until August 2010 does the WHO declare the pandemic over.

You have to balance all of this against the fact 12,000 people die in the U.S. every year from the flu according to the CDC, and we have already lost 10,000 this year from the flu. In 2017-2018, it is estimated 61,000 died from the flu and 45 million were infected.

The overreaction is staggering and mostly media-driven. That said, since there is no vaccine available you have to take it very seriously, especially if you are older or have a chronic disease already. Another case where social media and the 24/7 news cycle is not helping matters, and the bald-faced politics on display by some is just pathetic.

Signed,

Italy ...

We're going to make them look competent.

None of what I added was regarding Italy or any other country and anyone with half a brain that can read will see that. But I am not assuming anything in your case.

Reactions: DANC
None of what I added was regarding Italy or any other country and anyone with half a brain that can read will see that. But I am not assuming anything in your case.
Oh....we can read and T.M.P is correct in the assessment of your post.

If it ends up being like the flu season it should start to drop off by the end of March or early April.

If it is more like SARS, that started in China in November 2002, confirmed in the U.S. in March 2003 with increased numbers confirmed, it was the first week of May before it appeared no new cases were identified, and by late May travel alerts started to be lifted.

If it is more like H1N1 (aka, swine flu), it started in Mexico and hit in California in April 2009, WHO announced it as an imminent pandemic and FDA approves new CDC test by end of April, schools start closing in May, officially a pandemic in June, clinical trials start in July, October reaches highest level with second wave and vaccination campaign begins, December data shows vaccine works and is offered to anyone who wants it, January 2010 numbers drop but still positive findings for months, and not until August 2010 does the WHO declare the pandemic over.

You have to balance all of this against the fact 12,000 people die in the U.S. every year from the flu according to the CDC, and we have already lost 10,000 this year from the flu. In 2017-2018, it is estimated 61,000 died from the flu and 45 million were infected.

The overreaction is staggering and mostly media-driven. That said, since there is no vaccine available you have to take it very seriously, especially if you are older or have a chronic disease already. Another case where social media and the 24/7 news cycle is not helping matters, and the bald-faced politics on display by some is just pathetic.

Closer to 40,000 die per year if my math guesstimating 'puter isn't off too much:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

On the bright side this should give Galloway more time to heal, and should keep all of the incoming Freshmen away from serious injury.

So when we see these “guestimations” on flu deaths, are most of these poor folks actually dying of subsequent pneumonia? Many people with congestive heart conditions actually die from fluid in the lungs (pneumonia) because the heart muscle isn’t strong enough. So when you see epidemiological figures on cause of death, it’s really hard to categorize into something meaningful and accurate. Also, these “death by flu” people usually have compromised immune systems and are old, so who knows how many are actually dying of something else? No one actually has “old age” listed on their death certificate, or maybe they do, if they’re wrinkly and no autopsy was performed. I wouldn’t be surprised if these flu deaths/year are highly inflated and definitely inaccurate and driven up for sensationalism or agenda driven. Case in point, you said 12,000 flu deaths/year and I read someplace 80,000 US deaths just last year which is way above the average, yet, where was the media freak-out?

So when we see these “guestimations” on flu deaths, are most of these poor folks actually dying of subsequent pneumonia? Many people with congestive heart conditions actually die from fluid in the lungs (pneumonia) because the heart muscle isn’t strong enough. So when you see epidemiological figures on cause of death, it’s really hard to categorize into something meaningful and accurate. Also, these “death by flu” people usually have compromised immune systems and are old, so who knows how many are actually dying of something else? No one actually has “old age” listed on their death certificate, or maybe they do, if they’re wrinkly and no autopsy was performed. I wouldn’t be surprised if these flu deaths/year are highly inflated and definitely inaccurate and driven up for sensationalism or agenda driven. Case in point, you said 12,000 flu deaths/year and I read someplace 80,000 US deaths just last year which is way above the average, yet, where was the media freak-out?
My mother died from congestive heart failure. She struggled with it for 10 years and rarely complained. She was a real hero to me because of it. If she had gotten this coronavirus it probably would have ended her life early. If not she would have had a difficult time rebounding from it. Sickness and disease are a part of life. We do the best job we can to limit the damage, but I question whether we can eradicate it. Obviously what we want now is a drug that will help people to live who has the disease and a vaccination to help people build up an immunity. This takes time, but can be done.

Reactions: ulrey and abraxis
My mother died from congestive heart failure. She struggled with it for 10 years and rarely complained. She was a real hero to me because of it. If she had gotten this coronavirus it probably would have ended her life early. If not she would have had a difficult time rebounding from it. Sickness and disease are a part of life. We do the best job we can to limit the damage, but I question whether we can eradicate it. Obviously what we want now is a drug that will help people to live who has the disease and a vaccination to help people build up an immunity. This takes time, but can be done.
Congestive heart failure is a common malady in today's society. A lot of reasons for it can be found but some aren't found. It would be interesting to see the statistics, when available, of people with this diagnosed condition, as to what percentage of these "weak" people with the diagnosis actually end up succumbing to the virus. As with any grain of salt, there is a wide range of degree of congestive heart failure diagnosis, but ultimately it does do one in if something else doesn't get one first. It's not easy to say a person in a "susceptible" state really died of the virus or would have died the same without it.

Congestive heart failure is a common malady in today's society. A lot of reasons for it can be found but some aren't found. It would be interesting to see the statistics, when available, of people with this diagnosed condition, as to what percentage of these "weak" people with the diagnosis actually end up succumbing to the virus. As with any grain of salt, there is a wide range of degree of congestive heart failure diagnosis, but ultimately it does do one in if something else doesn't get one first. It's not easy to say a person in a "susceptible" state really died of the virus or would have died the same without it.
Since my mom had it the doctor has me taking fish oil for my heart. There is a genetic component, but lifestyle choices can hinder or increase the chances of getting it. I've lost weight since she passed away and when I have had tests my heart looks good at this time. She was about 60 when she got diagnosed and was 70 when she passed away. So what I'd like to do is if I get this, then I could get it around 75 and if I make it 10 yrs like she did I would be 85 when I bit it. Then I get to see her again along with other loved ones.

Reactions: abraxis
Since my mom had it the doctor has me taking fish oil for my heart. There is a genetic component, but lifestyle choices can hinder or increase the chances of getting it. I've lost weight since she passed away and when I have had tests my heart looks good at this time. She was about 60 when she got diagnosed and was 70 when she passed away. So what I'd like to do is if I get this, then I could get it around 75 and if I make it 10 yrs like she did I would be 85 when I bit it. Then I get to see her again along with other loved ones.
Sounds like a plan, my man! We're all on this journey together. Godspeed to us all!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT