ADVERTISEMENT

If you're a Republican in West Virginia, how do you try and save face after this?

cosmickid

Hall of Famer
Oct 23, 2009
I've just now heard about this, but after watching it I'm not sure who looks more moronic. Legislators in West Va who thought their top priority was to target KIDS with culture war legislation? Or the absolute buffoon of a Governor who mindlessly signed such legislation and then went on tv apparently blissfully unaware of how stupid he'd make those legislators and himself look?

Can you really say with a straight face that when your state ranks bottom 4 in each of education, health care, economy, and infrastructure, that a bill penalizing transgender kids is anything close to a "legislative priority"? Justice is so woefully unprepared- it's like he doesn't even have a handle on how poorly his own state ranks in actual important categories. They didn't mention "infant mortality", but I'm almost willing to bet that is another category WV finds itself sorely lacking in...

Justice admits that there are maybe 12 kids in the entire state who fall under the heading of "transgender", and yet this is the issue the (largely) GOP Legislature chose to focus on? He tries to play off his actual signing of the bill claiming it isn't his bill. But this is clearly a case where he should have vetoed the bill, urged the Legislators to actually focus on and attack an ACTUAL problem within the state (like maybe opioid addiction, people suffering from the long-lasting effects of black lung, the lousy education system, and on and on to infinity...)

If they override the veto, then that is on them. I always sort of considered him a "moderate" but his Lilly livered complicity in the Legislature's attack on 12 kids is beyond pathetic... Not sure I've ever seen a single reporter totally OWN both a guest and an entire Legislature at the same time...

• Sad
Reactions: bigmac76
It’s tricky for sure. First and foremost, kids under 18 should not be getting reassignment surgery to begin with, we all agree there.

You definitely don’t want to target transgender students and leave them no place to compete athletically. If you believe you’re a girl but are a genetic male having to compete against boys would be infuriating/ humiliating and vice versa.

You also can’t allow transgender females to dominate their genetic female counter parts athletically.

Not sure what I would do tbh.

I've just now heard about this, but after watching it I'm not sure who looks more moronic. Legislators in West Va who thought their top priority was to target KIDS with culture war legislation? Or the absolute buffoon of a Governor who mindlessly signed such legislation and then went on tv apparently blissfully unaware of how stupid he'd make those legislators and himself look?

Can you really say with a straight face that when your state ranks bottom 4 in each of education, health care, economy, and infrastructure, that a bill penalizing transgender kids is anything close to a "legislative priority"? Justice is so woefully unprepared- it's like he doesn't even have a handle on how poorly his own state ranks in actual important categories. They didn't mention "infant mortality", but I'm almost willing to bet that is another category WV finds itself sorely lacking in...

Justice admits that there are maybe 12 kids in the entire state who fall under the heading of "transgender", and yet this is the issue the (largely) GOP Legislature chose to focus on? He tries to play off his actual signing of the bill claiming it isn't his bill. But this is clearly a case where he should have vetoed the bill, urged the Legislators to actually focus on and attack an ACTUAL problem within the state (like maybe opioid addiction, people suffering from the long-lasting effects of black lung, the lousy education system, and on and on to infinity...)

If they override the veto, then that is on them. I always sort of considered him a "moderate" but his Lilly livered complicity in the Legislature's attack on 12 kids is beyond pathetic... Not sure I've ever seen a single reporter totally OWN both a guest and an entire Legislature at the same time...

Frankly, West Virginia isn't on my radar screen. What they do is up to them.

ADVERTISEMENT