ADVERTISEMENT

If you want to take a "leap of faith" how about

Who is our best recruiter from the staff? Hire Lewis as an assistant maybe but not a HC. If we hire anybody like this then it should be Fife as he has some head coaching experience.

Fife always struck me as a loose cannon, wing it type as a player whereas Lewis was just the opposite. I'd take Lewis over Fife.

Reactions: Lucy01
When he stood up to Knight he was right and Knight backed off. How many times has that ever happened?

Last edited:
Lewis's resume' reads a lot like the guy at Daytons he just hasn't had his head coaching gig yet. I think hiring him would be a brilliant move (which means it's highly unlikely to happen).

Seriously? Why get a guy who has scant head coaching experience? Just because they once wore an IU uniform? This is Indiana. No way will we settle for a guy who is THAT much of a risk. Glass must bring in a coach with significant experience and a winning track record. This is INDIANA!!!

Lewis knows more about what the words Indiana Basketball mean than most any of us "ever" will.

Nobody had Stevens on their radar when Butler hired him. I'd say that one turned out pretty well for them...

Lewis knows more about what the words Indiana Basketball mean than most any of us "ever" will.

Nobody had Stevens on their radar when Butler hired him. I'd say that one turned out pretty well for them...

Yes it did. And if it hadn't, no one would have cared because... it's Butler. This isn't Butler. This is Indiana.

Trust me dude,these days we should seriously aspire to be more like Butler when it comes to playing basketball..., guess who just recently had a gig (prior to NE) as a lead assistant coach at Butler? *****Michael Lewis*****

Trust me dude,these days we should seriously aspire to be more like Butler when it comes to playing basketball..., guess who just recently had a gig (prior to NE) as a lead assistant coach at Butler? *****Michael Lewis*****

*Bangs head on the wall...

Indiana means PROVEN head coaching experience. Butler hires coaches hoping to prove themselves. Sometimes they succeed in finding someone who does - like Stevens. Indiana hires coaches who are already proven. That's just the way it is. That won't change. Not Lewis. Not Fife. Not even Ivan Renko.

Ivan's the man! But I doubt we can afford him (or the search to find him):D;)

Bring back Mike Lewis!!! He's a better version of Steve Alford, mixed with Archie Miller, combined with Greg Marshall... Salted with a dash of Brad Stevens.

It'll never happen, primarily because of inside the box thinking like your own, but it should...

Indiana h.s. Mr. Ball, Played for Knight, coached at Butler, coached in the BT already... What else are you looking for...?????

Forgot to add: already has good relationships with state of Indiana basketball coaches..

Plus: a true IU man, former point guard who also understands the need for Great Defense.

Did I leave anything out?

Bring back Mike Lewis!!! He's a better version of Steve Alford, mixed with Archie Miller, combined with Greg Marshall... Salted with a dash of Brad Stevens.

It'll never happen, primarily because of inside the box thinking like your own, but it should...

Indiana h.s. Mr. Ball, Played for Knight, coached at Butler, coached in the BT already... What else are you looking for...?????

Forgot to add: already has good relationships with state of Indiana basketball coaches..

Plus: a true IU man, former point guard who also understands the need for Great Defense.

Yeah... proven successful head coaching experience. Great players do not always translate into great coaches - even at places where they played for Hall of Fame Coaches. Magic Johnson and the Lakers, anyone? Outside the box thinking is great when you don't have great options. IU does. We don't need to take huge risks. And we won't.

But your mind is made up. As is mine. As is Glass'. Fortunately, he agrees with me. I see no need to continue this conversation. Respond if you'd like - I'm done.

Reactions: outlawyer
Can't say I'm impressed with Fred's recent track record of hiring previously successful Head Coaches...

I've lost track, and am too busy to research it, but off the top of my head FG has fired, "at least", 3 of his "own" Head Coaching hires over the past 9 years.

Tells me maybe, just maybe, he should consider a different group of hiring parameters... Seems logical to me.

Bring back Mike Lewis!:D;):D

Last edited:
Forgot to add: Mike Lewis was also a grad asst at Texas Tech for Bob Knight.

Played and coached for The guy, what more do you want?

Make Indiana Great Again: Hire Mike Lewis!;):D

Yes, you left out head coaching experience.

Somebody that's been a head coach.

And..., once again, I'll point out the Brad Stevens scenario at Butler... They identified the guy who embodied their program and it was Brad.

If Alford had shown "consistent" success at a high level and hadn't sullied his reputation while at Iowa he'd be the guy but he did and hasn't ; therefore I give you: Mike Lewis.

Mike Lewis has lived and breathed Indiana Basketball for most of his life. He's proven that he can both coach and recruit on both a local and national level.

Don't worry though, we'll be certain to try to pay top dollar just to say we did and attempt to force a oversized square peg into a round hole; then we'll all act terribly surprised when the experiment fails...

And..., once again, I'll point out the Brad Stevens scenario at Butler... They identified the guy who embodied their program and it was Brad.

If Alford had shown "consistent" success at a high level and hadn't sullied his reputation while at Iowa he'd be the guy but he did and hasn't ; therefore I give you: Mike Lewis.

Mike Lewis has lived and breathed Indiana Basketball for most of his life. He's proven that he can both coach and recruit on both a local and national level.

Don't worry though, we'll be certain to try to pay top dollar just to say we did and attempt to force a oversized square peg into a round hole; then we'll all act terribly surprised when the experiment fails...
C'mon, man...

Michael Lewis should get a call... from maybe IUPUI, Valpo, ISU, or Evansville, the next time any of them have an opening.

Reactions: CMW

That was Butler.
I love Mike Lewis, always did. He will probably become a fine head coach.
The next IU coach should and will be a proven head coach.

I'm not his agent (although I should be, I guess);) so no impact on me other than possibly being doomed to having to watch another 9 years of bad basketball...:confused::(

Obviously, I'm convinced he's our guy.

Don't worry though, no one else seems to be...:cool:

Michael Lewis should get a call... from maybe IUPUI, Valpo, ISU, or Evansville, the next time any of them have an opening.

Yeah, maybe to Indiana Weslyan . . .

. . . after IU hires Tonagel - on St. Patrick's Day no less. That's gotta be worth some good luck, no?

That wasn't the only bonehead play Fife had that year. I always liked his toughness and intensity but he often acted without thinking.

Lewis, on the other hand, was Mr. Steady and understood the need for "role players" since he went from being the leading scorer in the state to nearly a pure ball distributer. He also had a very high "basketball IQ"...

I'm hoping he returns sooner than later in some capacity.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT