ADVERTISEMENT

If you haven’t seen Hamilton, or even if you have

Frankly, the actor who performs the Hamilton role in the Chicago cast is better than Miranda.

I have not seen Hamilton in person, but the Chicago version almost got me in. 2 of my daughters went and they know my Whose Line love. I have seen Ryan, Colin, Greg, and Brad many times each, but never Wayne. But I just cannot justify that much for a show.

If people really do want to celebrate our history on Independence Day, maybe we should sign up for Disney, watch Hamilton, and be dazzled by how thoroughly black and brown people have become infected by our national myths. People watch Hamilton and talk about how it's rap with non-white people, but if you actually listen it's a textbook celebration of American ideals by mostly black and brown people. Why would you possibly want to carve these people out?

I heard someone discussing this today, that Hamilton just is another telling of "weren't our founders neatly perfect".

There is some truth that we do not allow much nuance with pur heroes. We know Roosevelt and 9066, but it was downplayed for a long time. Lincoln ripped up the Constitution at will. Jackson engaged in genocide. The founders all had warts, but we do not discuss them.

Now for a musical to present an actual portrayal of Hamilton,it would have to Be 8 hours long. Reconciling the Schuyler's owning slaves with Hamilton's views would need to be included.

This is where the monument debate gets tricky. When we cast someone on bronze or marble, their wrinkles go away. They stop being flawed humans and turn into demi gods.

Reactions: hoosboot
I heard someone discussing this today, that Hamilton just is another telling of "weren't our founders neatly perfect".

Had they actually seen Hamilton?

"Weren't our founders nearly perfect" isn't how I would describe it.

Ambition, betrayal, weakness, bravado, urgency, compromise, deceit .... I didn't take it for hagiography.

Ambition, betrayal, weakness, bravado, urgency, compromise, deceit .... I didn't take it for hagiography.

Washington & Lafayette are really the only ones deified, and there's a fair amount in there about Washington's flaws.

It is more Hamilton seen as nearly perfect. He's right on everything, his affair was her fault for forcing herself on him, and the interpretation of the duel is purely Hamilton (there is some legit debate about what happened), no mention of the Schuyler slaves and Hamilton's role in buying and selling slaves for the Schuyler's. Hamilton's sins are smoothed out. I do think it is a lot to ask to present that in a 2 hour musical. Musicals aren't really designed for presenting complex viewpoints. But little popular media presents our heroes any differently.

It is more Hamilton seen as nearly perfect. He's right on everything, his affair was her fault for forcing herself on him, and the interpretation of the duel is purely Hamilton (there is some legit debate about what happened), no mention of the Schuyler slaves and Hamilton's role in buying and selling slaves for the Schuyler's. Hamilton's sins are smoothed out. I do think it is a lot to ask to present that in a 2 hour musical. Musicals aren't really designed for presenting complex viewpoints. But little popular media presents our heroes any differently.

Agree that musicals aren't designed for complex historical exploration, but didn't feel anyone was really deified in Hamilton. I think the complaints you heard would have been better cast as the musical didn't include all of their human failings instead of it deifying the founders. Honestly, if anyone is deified it is the Schuyler sisters. Hamilton is presented as a tragically flawed character. I'm shocked that @Rockfish1 hasn't raged about Washington being the most dreaded of pols...the centry-centrist. Hamilton isn't perfect (one could debate whether anything ever is), but it is pretty audacious, entertaining, and awe-inspiring.

The film of the original cast is outstanding and a perfect way to spend 2 1/2 hours this holiday weekend. It’s streaming on Disney plus and it’s only $5.99 a month. I’ll watch it several times and then cancel.

I'm not going to lie, I was mildly disappointed with the video'd version. I saw it live in Chicago and thought that cast was actually better. It was also a much more powerful performance in theatre (so I'm cognizant of that bias).

I'm not going to lie, I was mildly disappointed with the video'd version. I saw it live in Chicago and thought that cast was actually better. It was also a much more powerful performance in theatre (so I'm cognizant of that bias).
I love Lin, but think the Chicago lead was stronger, But Leslie Odom, Christopher Jackson and Daveed Diggs are pretty hard to beat. Angelica and Eliza I thought were better too.

I love Lin, but think the Chicago lead was stronger, But Leslie Odom, Christopher Jackson and Daveed Diggs are pretty hard to beat. Angelica and Eliza I thought were better too.

The Broadway cast was stellar. Fun fact, the talent pool is amazing and the regional and touring casts are incredible as well. Yes, Lin is not the strongest vocalist but he created the show and his talent is amazing. I actually like In The Heights more than Hamilton. As far as Broadway talent, it doesn’t get better. These people are fuc!ing amazing.

Reactions: hoosboot
And Leslie Odom Jr is unbelievable. Look at his videos on YouTube. His NYC cabaret is amazing.

And Leslie Odom Jr is unbelievable. Look at his videos on YouTube. His NYC cabaret is amazing.
I saw him last January with the orchestra in Indy. I’ve downloaded a lot of his music. Love him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT