ADVERTISEMENT

If you don't like a poster

You all realize that you have plenty of other choices, right? I finally got tired of the jackass (that lied about me too) and when I realized this site was not going take action, I just moved here: https://scout.com/college/indiana/Board/Premium-IU-Football-103601

it is unfortunate because this board (free and premie) was my favorite for years, but when one jackass can ruin every thread, then it is just not worth it. Move on guys.

Okay guys, I tried really hard to do this the right way but you folks just don’t want the ability to control who you can read. So I just went ahead and banned the guy.

I don't have a way to do an IP ban, so, if he comes back let me know.

Also, since it is too hard for people to control their own user experience, feel free to DM me all the other people you don't like and I will decide to ban them or not ban them. I tried to do this the professional way, and the way to give people control over their own user experience, but that was too hard.

Everyone wants me to decide who can and can't post. So, we'll go down that road. Send me your complaints.

Reactions: wakeman26 and YOTHN
You all realize that you have plenty of other choices, right? I finally got tired of the jackass (that lied about me too) and when I realized this site was not going take action, I just moved here: https://scout.com/college/indiana/Board/Premium-IU-Football-103601

it is unfortunate because this board (free and premie) was my favorite for years, but when one jackass can ruin every thread, then it is just not worth it. Move on guys.

That guy wasn’t on the premium board.

I'm not sure everyone is aware of this so I'd like to take the time to address this.

The other day someone on my Facebook page posted something ugly I didn't care for. I didn't email Facebook and demand they be banned, and/or threaten to leave Facebook. I simply unfriended the person and then I don't have to see them anymore.

If you don't like another poster and just don't want to read them ever again, you can click their name, then click "Ignore". Not only do you not see their posts, you also don't see posts other people make when they directly reply to them.

If there is a particular poster that a large number of people don't like, if you all put that person on "ignore", would that person even exist? In a way, no, because hardly no one would see them post. On Facebook, if someone doesn't have any friends, no one even sees their posts.

The system is set up that way so each user can control their own experience. If we start drawing hard lines in the sand I promise it's opening a can of worms. Can a poster use a cussword? What if they post a cussword with stars? It becomes an exhausting road to go down.

Additionally, there are some people who enjoy arguing. Then if we ban someone, we get emails saying "why did you ban so and so?"

If you don't like a poster, please try the ignore feature. It enhances a reader's experience almost every time I've asked them to try it, and we don't have to micromanage anything and start making posting guidelines that not everyone agrees with.
It works well. I have a moderator ignored and others that won't get banned. I guess they create traffic.

It works well. I have a moderator ignored and others that won't get banned. I guess they create traffic.

I tried my best. But the complaints were relentless and I spent my whole night off on this.

So now I’ll just start making executive decisions since people don’t want the ability to control who they talk to. If I end up banning someone they like based on a number of complaints, not my fault.

I tried my best. But the complaints were relentless and I spent my whole night off on this.

So now I’ll just start making executive decisions since people don’t want the ability to control who they talk to. If I end up banning someone they like, not my fault.

My messages are open if anyone wants other people banned.

Sleep on that decision, please. Your patience is probably spent at this point. Understandably so.

Jordan all I have to say is well done!!! I have been a rivals member on other boards since 04. The way you guys let this stuff roll is genius. Wants to make me sign for the premium and about too cause I'm sick of all the sh!t Keep it up good man!

Reactions: Jordan Wells
Sleep on that decision, please. Your patience is probably spent at this point. Understandably so.

I mean pretty much everyone wanted that guy gone.

But what happens next is what if we have someone that most people want gone, because the person is obnoxious or gets personal, but a few people actually like? Or like a 65/35 ratio?

Do we draw the line with rules? What if a great poster loses their cool one night, I have to be fair and stick to the rules right. Maybe just give them timeout - what if it happens a second time?

Everyone posting on this topic has a different take to the above questions. So we won’t have a policy that everyone likes.

All could be avoided if people will just use ignore and read who they want to read.

But what happens next is what if we have someone that most people want gone, because the person is obnoxious or gets personal, but a few people actually like? Or like a 65/35 ratio?

Do we draw the line with rules? What if a great poster loses their cool one night, I have to be fair and stick to the rules right. Maybe just give them timeout - what if it happens a second time?

Everyone posting on this topic has a different take to the above questions. So we won’t have a policy that everyone likes.

All could be avoided if people will just use ignore and read who they want to read.

I totally understand and appreciate your perspective. I can only imagine what your inbox looks like on somedays. I'm glad I don't have those determinations to make. That has to be the worst part of the job.

I think Ord is the exception to every rule. He has quite the history. He'll be back, and he'll actually post like a civil human being (so that no one knows it's him at first). But he'll slip-up, he always does. It's kind of fun to troll him because he has to have the last word. He can't help himself.

Reactions: Jordan Wells

Enjoy that board. Zero activity and that’s why you are still coming here. I spent a year there. Guess what? Matt wouldn’t bounce the guy either if given the chance.

It just isn’t true Jordan. I can tell you that yes the threads turn into personal attacks at times. However, i think if you go read some of them, these posters asking for the ban actually attack him and he responds in kind.

What a bunch of .... childish. It’s disappointing

Reactions: bang63
Enjoy that board. Zero activity and that’s why you are still coming here. I spent a year there. Guess what? Matt wouldn’t bounce the guy either if given the chance.

Actually Matt would have and did. Actually much faster.

My final post on this...if the guy wants to come back and act like a reasonable human being, not trashing every thread I am pretty liberal about such things, but he had at least six chances to come back as a decent poster and could not do it. My olive branch to him was quickly rejected.

And when I have a bad day and act the fool, put me in time out for a week. Pretty simple.

It could all be avoided by just sacking up. When the guy on the corner is carrying on a conversation with people no one else can see, you don’t go getting angry at the guy because he thinks the Government is reading his brain waves. You ignore him.... this is 100% in their control. They are giving him power. Stupid.

I think he contributes quite a bit to the football discussion and board.

I totally understand and appreciate your perspective. I can only imagine what your inbox looks like on somedays. I'm glad I don't have those determinations to make. That has to be the worst part of the job.

I think Ord is the exception to every rule. He has quite the history. He'll be back, and he'll actually post like a civil human being (so that no one knows it's him at first). But he'll slip-up, he always does. It's kind of fun to troll him because he has to have the last word. He can't help himself.

I think that was the main problem is that he always had to have the last word, which is why almost all threads where he was involved would get derailed. That and the overall contrarian, belligerent tone. Only posted to dispute someone else, and all his opinions were "fact" and anyone that disagreed was a moron. Could never accept to agree to disagree. Also, always had a bunch of "inside" information which was usually dubious, but even if true, he was only sharing information that would portray IU negatively.

There have been other posters that have been varying degrees of negative, which have been ultimately fine. fpeaugh is a recent example, and even his dead horse beating with Wilson, doesn't rise the level of banning.

It just isn’t true Jordan. I can tell you that yes the threads turn into personal attacks at times. However, i think if you go read some of them, these posters asking for the ban actually attack him and he responds in kind.

What a bunch of .... childish. It’s disappointing
HH, I have attacked him ONLY in response , noticed you didn’t respond to my post on just a couple of lies he posted about me. The only childish poster here was Ord 10.0, you seem reasonable, it is hard to believe you cannot see his antics as not needed.

HH, I have attacked him ONLY in response , noticed you didn’t respond to my post on just a couple of lies he posted about me. The only childish poster here was Ord 10.0, you seem reasonable, it is hard to believe you cannot see his antics as not needed.

Exactly, he always had to tell posters how stupid they were. Trashed every thread. A year ago, Dude swore he would never respond to one of my posts again...he continued to do so daily.

It does go both ways. I agree with Jordan, just ignore the guy. He makes a good analogy with Facebook/unfriending. I ignored the guy after about his 5th post. I would say the majority of people complaining about the guy never put him on ignore. And then attack him as much he attacks them. Why is that? I have quite a few of those guys on ignore as well. Teenage drama crap, if you ask me....

No, I read your post and actually remember the thread where you guys discussed the game you attended. I just find that hard to understand why him saying that would lead to a ban? Being offended by that is childish in my opinion. I’m not calling you a child Johnsy.... I just think people get bent out of shape on things that really don’t mean anything.... I remember a poster saying once that I wasn’t an alum and I was lying about it. What are you suppose to say to that? I can’t prove it. Why would I even want too?

I don’t know. I like everyone here. I love the discussions. The thread that went way off was Jeff Brohm.... that could have been locked but I just don’t see why people care. I stop following some threads which helps.

I’m moving my attention to the Meat Chickens .... Hoosiers are gonna Win this one and we can rally around the win!

I think that was the main problem is that he always had to have the last word, which is why almost all threads where he was involved would get derailed. That and the overall contrarian, belligerent tone. Only posted to dispute someone else, and all his opinions were "fact" and anyone that disagreed was a moron. Could never accept to agree to disagree. Also, always had a bunch of "inside" information which was usually dubious, but even if true, he was only sharing information that would portray IU negatively.

There have been other posters that have been varying degrees of negative, which have been ultimately fine. fpeaugh is a recent example, and even his dead horse beating with Wilson, doesn't rise the level of banning.

Fpeaugh is a good example of a solid poster that disagrees with many. I always read and consider his point of view.

Reactions: fpeaugh
Then why do you have forum rules?

Ignoring the idiots is fine and Many of us have done that with Ordfan (now ewez or whatever) the embittered clown you have allowed to come back...what...seven times now? The guy is once again destroying your board.

Why do I care? I have been around these boards for a long time and I hate to see them destroyed unnessessarily. Your call, there are plenty of other IU boards where the personal attacks, plagerism, and outright lies are better managed. Yours is sadly becoming a cesspool and several of us are losing interest.
He is probably tired of me e-mailing him about this one poster

It could all be avoided by just sacking up. When the guy on the corner is carrying on a conversation with people no one else can see, you don’t go getting angry at the guy because he thinks the Government is reading his brain waves. You ignore him.... this is 100% in their control. They are giving him power. Stupid.

I think he contributes quite a bit to the football discussion and board.
Love to know what you think he really contributes other than lies and insults ? He claims to want to talk about football, but if you don’t think IU, FG and CTA are the worst thing ever, then you will be called a moron and told to go away. He claims to be knowledgeable and is the furthest thing from it, he argued with me (and still would) that Tunstill from Indy was offered a scholarship when he is a walkon. Take a good look at his posts and show me where he imparts any “knowledge” on anyone.
Any idiot can just come on these boards and be contrarian, that is fine, but do it without making up lies and insulting people. Sure, everyone could “sack up” as you say, but it becomes easier to just not participate, and I think that is really what he wants.

If you like a board where you can have a discussion without all of the drama I go to Hoosiersportsnation formly know as 247sports.

If you like a board where you can have a discussion without all of the drama I go to Hoosiersportsnation formly know as 247sports.

I was looking at that one as an alternative, but will give this place a chance now.

I did put him on ignore over a month ago but you could still see posters response to him. This cluttered the board and you knew who they were having problems with.
I also put him on ignore about 3 weeks ago, but as you say, you can still see responses and threads going off the rails.

I have been frustrated by some but tend to move on (& try not to engage though did this weekend after shock a win could garner so many naysayers!)

Anyway, sorry to ask but how do you use ignore? Meaning what exactly do you hit to ignore someone?

I don’t see doing it a lot, but good to know how to use the feature in worst case scenarios.

Thx

I did put him on ignore over a month ago but you could still see posters response to him. This cluttered the board and you knew who they were having problems with.
Right, same with me. And that is the issue I have, with all of those that kept responding to him. If everyone would have just grown up and not taken the bait, we would have never gotten to this point.

Right, same with me. And that is the issue I have, with all of those that kept responding to him. If everyone would have just grown up and not taken the bait, we would have never gotten to this point.

If everyone would have used ignore it wouldn’t have been a problem. But people don’t want to control their own experience. So now I’ll do it for them.

The guy is banned.

Of course in a way, that is saying the rights of the one outweigh the rights of the many. It seemed no matter who or how many put him on ignore he always found someone to take on and would continue to do so. Eradicating the problem, at least for a period of time, is the right move. If he returns and is contrarian but civil, fine. In other words , if he grows up.

The point we've gotten to is that he's gone and the board can actually support meaningful discussions now.

If everyone would have used ignore it wouldn’t have been a problem. But people don’t want to control their own experience. So now I’ll do it for them.

The guy is banned.
I finally put him on ignore for good and didn't read any of his posts. The problem is that you're never going to get everyone to ignore him, no matter how hard you try. There's always going to be someone who will engage him. And even for those of us who put him on ignore, the thread gets derailed (actually most threads here get derailed by him) and you still know what's going on even if you don't see his posts because the thread gets completely off-topic.

I understand what you're trying to do. I know I've sent you messages about another poster on the premium board, and I ignored him and it's working fine. But this guy was on at least his eighth screen name, and nearly every thread got completely off track. In this case I do think it's good that he was banned.

The guy is banned.
I will agree, as some have mentioned, that a thread gets hard to follow when one of the people are ignored. I've seen replies that seem to be out of place and I believe it is because they have missed comments from ignored people or people replying to ignored people.

I respect your decision on who can post. I don't expect to do anything to get banned, but anyone can have a bad day. The use of 30 day timeouts have been used to set the tone of boards.

Well said. Good thoughts all-around.

I finally put him on ignore for good and didn't read any of his posts. The problem is that you're never going to get everyone to ignore him, no matter how hard you try. There's always going to be someone who will engage him. And even for those of us who put him on ignore, the thread gets derailed (actually most threads here get derailed by him) and you still know what's going on even if you don't see his posts because the thread gets completely off-topic.

I understand what you're trying to do. I know I've sent you messages about another poster on the premium board, and I ignored him and it's working fine. But this guy was on at least his eighth screen name, and nearly every thread got completely off track. In this case I do think it's good that he was banned.

Maybe the route to go is meet people in the middle.

If posters can promise to consider ignore and give it a shot for me in more situations, I promise to do a better job stepping in for extreme circumstances if people will let me know.

He is probably tired of me e-mailing him about this one poster

Did you ever consider putting on him ignore? If you read through the thread, Jordan was offering that feature numerous times. I felt bad for him; he was being bombarded from all sides when a simple solution exists for everyone. He'll be back. He's probably lurking right now while trying think of clever, non-California related handle . *snicker*

If posters can promise to consider ignore and give it a shot for me in more situations, I promise to do a better job stepping in for extreme circumstances if people will let me know.
Sounds good to me. This was an extreme circumstance.

Reactions: RBB89
Guys, I am right here. I can hear (read) everything you're saying about me? o_O

Reactions: muubell
On a side note. I wondered why I woke up this morning to the sun shining bright and a brand new positive outlook on life.

Now I know.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT