ADVERTISEMENT

If we end up with a slot left..

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana
(Which is highly unlikely)

Here's a recent Rutgers commit (unsigned) who might be able to end up helping us on either side of the ball (check his tape). /// I could see him as a full time 3 technique DT and a part time H-back in short yardage situations...///

https://247sports.com/player/rayyan-buell-46056218/

Looks like they've found the proverbial "diamond in the rough". His foot speed is his only negative at a little over 5 flat but he sure has "football speed" on tape, in full pads!

We have so many DE'S that they are trying to grow into DT'S. They go for quickness. King and Passaway. Wilson already has. McCabe?

Here's a recent Rutgers commit (unsigned) who might be able to end up helping us on either side of the ball (check his tape). /// I could see him as a full time 3 technique DT and a part time H-back in short yardage situations...///

Looks like they've found the proverbial "diamond in the rough". His foot speed is his only negative at a little over 5 flat but he sure has "football speed" on tape, in full pads!

We have so many DE'S that they are trying to grow into DT'S. They go for quickness. King and Passaway. Wilson already has. McCabe?
Yes, that's a part of our strategy, also too I'd like to see some of those DE's to grow into DE's. Our pass rush was non existent last year, & we have more than couple kids with potential to be good pas rushers. We need to make that happen.

IMO it depends. If the staff ends up with one slot left because they missed out on the other top OL recruits (Allen, Ike, Jones, Henry) I would prefer they not "reach" on a developmental kid like the one in Texas but instead try for a grad transfer like maybe Richmond, Proctor, Murphy or even Knutson.

Same if they end up with a slot due to missing out on both K. Williams and L. Jean. Rather than reach, I'd just as soon see them try for one of the grad transfer DLs like Bates, Okonya or Slade.

These guys are more likely to have an immediate impact than most of the high school kids IU's recruiting (except for outstanding ones like K. Williams) and in most cases they only take up a slot for one year. By year (season) three of Allen's tenure, I'm frankly more interested in the "immediate impact" guys, whether they're 3- (or 4-) star high schoolers, JUCOs, or grad transfers, than I am in the to-be-redshirted, developmental types.

It's great to develop depth, but not as great as actually winning more football games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chriselli and 76-1
IMO it depends. If the staff ends up with one slot left because they missed out on the other top OL recruits (Allen, Ike, Jones, Henry) I would prefer they not "reach" on a developmental kid like the one in Texas but instead try for a grad transfer like maybe Richmond, Proctor, Murphy or even Knutson.

Same if they end up with a slot due to missing out on both K. Williams and L. Jean. Rather than reach, I'd just as soon see them try for one of the grad transfer DLs like Bates, Okonya or Slade.

These guys are more likely to have an immediate impact than most of the high school kids IU's recruiting (except for outstanding ones like K. Williams) and in most cases only take up a slot for one year. By year three of Allen's tenure, I'm frankly more interested in the "immediate impact" guys, whether they're 3- (or 4-) star high schoolers, JUCOs, or grad transfers, than I am in the to-be-redshirted, developmental types.

It's great to develop depth, but not as great as actually winning more football games.

There are 5 plus grad transfers who could help us, the G from Georgia Tech, the C/G from Rutgers, the OT from TN, the G from Miami, the DE from Central Michigan, and one or two other guys I can't recall at the moment...

Given that they are all already in the Portal and in play, its looking like we'd prefer to take the long haul approach versus the short term fix...

I understand where you're coming from though... It's too bad we don't have an extra 5 scholarships.

Personally, I'd like to see FBS expand to 90 scholarships and 11 assistants... It's not like they don't have the money...

Last edited:
It appears TA wants to develop the young guys. Maybe based on his confidence in the strength staff over multi year seasons.

There are 5 plus grad transfers who could help us, the G from Georgia Tech, the C/G from Rutgers, the OT from TN, the G from Miami, the DE from Central Michigan, and one or two other guys I can't recall at the moment...

Given that they are all already in the Portal and in play, its looking is like we'd prefer to take the long haul approach versus the short term fix...

I understand where you're coming from though... It's too bad we don't have an extra 5 scholarships.

Personally, I'd like to see FBS expand to 90 scholarships and 11 assistants... It's not like they don't have the money...

Reactions: Tokyo Steve

My guess is 2-3 slots left to fill after Wednesday the way it is looking right now.

My guess is 2-3 slots left to fill after Wednesday the way it is looking right now.

If Henry meant what he said then we have a real shot at his commitment. He said it was all about depth chart opportunities (or something to that effect). With at least two slots available to him: G & T (3 if he can play C), we have to be at the top of his list...

Similarly, Bell could come in and have a real shot at starting at either C or G...

If we don't get those two..., and/or Allen (T), then I think we look really hard at a grad transfer...

Last edited:
If Henry meant what he said then we have a real shot at his commitment. He said it was all about depth chart opportunities (or something to that effect). With at least two slots available to him: G & T (3 if he can play C), we have to be at the top of his list...

Similarly, Bell could come in and have a real shot at starting at either C or G...

If we don't get those two..., and/or Allen (T), thenI think we look really hard at a grad transfer...
Henry seems like the most "gettable" at this point, if only because he's from St. Louis and Allen appears to be gone.

But IF the staff misses out on not only Henry but Allen, Bell and Ike as well, then IMO they should seriously consider some of the grad transfers out there like Richmond, Proctor, maybe even Murphy or Knutson. Doubt they'd have much interest in Braun, since he's been playing in an option-blocking scheme (Ga Tech), and Miami's offensive line struggled last season even more than IU's did, so I don't know if they'd look at Mahoney.

Similarly, while I could be happy with EITHER K. Williams or L. Jean, if the staff misses out on both then I'd hope they might take a look at Bates, Okonya and Slade. Especially Bates.

If we don't get those two..., and/or Allen (T), thenI think we look really hard at a grad transfer...

There is always hope but I fully expect Henry to sign with FSU on Wednesday and Kamaar Bell an Auburn LOI but FSU a strong possibility as well. Allen is pretty much a done deal at Cincy.

Now hearing that what looked good for Powell may be actually leaning to NC State. I’d be shocked if Dawand Jones doesn’t land at OSU or Penn State. If IU pulls that off, it will be a reversal of what everyone is expecting. I think Latrell Jean is the next likely guy.
T.J. Jones will land at Penn State.

IU has it’s work cut out for itself in looking at grad transfers and JUCO right now.

Not ending with a bang potentially but I do think things happen for a reason. Maybe the final 2-4 could or even should have some grad transfers. Even if only a one-year fix, if they can add depth, we still have 20-22 FR coming in, many who can hopefully RS so why not take some side right in players if needed. I trust staff wont “reach” for the sake of reaching. And I Lomé the 21 right now, so anything else is gravy.?

There is always hope but I fully expect Henry to sign with FSU on Wednesday and Kamaar Bell an Auburn LOI but FSU a strong possibility as well. Allen is pretty much a done deal at Cincy.

Now hearing that what looked good for Powell may be actually leaning to NC State. I’d be shocked if Dawand Jones doesn’t land at OSU or Penn State. If IU pulls that off, it will be a reversal of what everyone is expecting. I think Latrell Jean is the next likely guy.

IU has it’s work cut out for itself in looking at grad transfers and JUCO right now.
maybe the staff, especially with DeBoer's help, can lend a couple of the "Fresno AND Indiana" recruits like Hopper and Tolliver. Along with L. Jean and T. Weaver, that's 4 out of 5.

not sure what WR could replace Jones at this point--Fresno was recruiting a pair of highly-rated JUCO receivers but I have no idea if DeBoer could, or would, try to get IU involved with them this late in the cycle.

Reactions: 76-1

From what I’ve heard from people around Indy is that staying at home and going to IU is really attractive to Dawand Jones. Being a basketball walk on at IU might be a factor as well because he loves basketball.

Reactions: ESalum86 and 76-1
From what I’ve heard from people around Indy is that staying at home and going to IU is really attractive to Dawand Jones. Being a basketball walk on at IU might be a factor as well because he loves basketball.

I have heard from a source that the IU basketball thing as a PWO with a football scholarship is what is giving him reason to think. OSU is recruiting him hard and Wilson has seen him multiple times. He had a PSU visit that he loved and he says distance is not a factor but family may think differently. Who knows.

I’d be shocked if Kristian Williams, another target, doesn’t sign with Oregon but IU is under consideration. Don’t think it is a done deal just yet.

Personally, with T.J Jones likely headed to PSU, I would have liked to see is go after one of their grad transfers like Juwan Johnson.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT