ADVERTISEMENT

If we beat NW tomorrow, which we should...

IuGrad94

Newcomer
Mar 25, 2017
we'll be tied for 3rd in the B1G, one-third of the way through the regular season.
This is not a joke.

I still say we play in the 7-10 or 8-9 game at The World's Most Famous Arena. The schedule, as we all know, gets much tougher after NW tomorrow.

Minny is beyond atrocious right now.
They weren't good before - but yes worse now - all hype based on a fortuitous schedule last year. I still can't believe they made the tourney (they didn't deserve it) and were ranked in the top 15 to start this season. What a joke, almost if everyone (media, fans, committee) were sycophantically swinging on Lil' Pitino's sack a bit (he's overrated) .. all hype no real substance.

Purdue is one of the toughest teams I've seen this year. Maybe the best all around PU team since Big Dog? You guys should be very happy. Mainly because it wasn't built on getting premier recruits but instead based on development of players. Painter may not be great but (obviously better than Crean - who isn't?) he's done a good job the last few years.

Last edited:
They weren't good before - but yes worse now - all hype based on a fortuitous schedule last year. I still can't believe they made the tourney (they didn't deserve it) and were ranked in the top 15 to start this season. What a joke, almost if everyone (media, fans, committee) were sycophantically swinging on Lil' Pitino's sack a bit (he's overrated) .. all hype no real substance.

Purdue is one of the toughest teams I've seen this year. Maybe the best all around PU team since Big Dog? You guys should be very happy. Mainly because it wasn't built on getting premier recruits but instead based on development of players. Painter may not be great but (obviously better than Crean - who isn't?) he's done a good job the last few years.

The Purdue team this year is exactly what you should expect from a senior-laden team in a weak conference this year.
I mean, let’s give some credit to Crean too here:

He won the conference twice with veteran players in his own right.

Look… Crean’s time had come but let’s not pretend there’s some vast difference between Painter and Crean. Painters been in the league like 13 years and this won it twice?

I’m pretty “meh” on him as a coach.

Reactions: IndyAuthor
Conference champions is a very small sample set. Thus not a very accurate barometer of success.
Crean 166-135 at IU (with more talent)
Painter 281-144 at PU

We always struggle with Northwestern, hopefully we change that today....

Purdue will go deep in the tourney....props on what Painter has put together there...

Reactions: boilers-seminoles
Conference champions is a very small sample set. Thus not a very accurate barometer of success.
Crean 166-135 at IU (with more talent)
Painter 281-144 at PU

Remember Crean took over a program that was penalized. One former walk on was the roster Crean was given.

In 9 years, Crean had 4 NCAA appearances, 3 Sweet 16s, and 2 Conference Titles. Most people don’t count the first 2 years.

In 12 years, Painter has 9 NCAA appearances, 3 Sweet 16s, 2 Conference titles, and 1 Conference tourney title.

Not much of a difference there. With the separation being NCAA appearances. But, Painter coached for 3 more years and was given way more talent to start.

Purdue is very good this year, maybe the best it’s been in 20 years. But, the rebuild begins again next year as Purdue will struggle after this year.

Does anybody know what IU's winning streak was over Wisconsin in the Knight years? Was it 27 in a row or 31? I've heard it mentioned before that we went 14 or 15 years without losing to the Badgers. But I forget the exact number. Thanks.
Also, does anybody know our longest winning streak against NW? When I was a student in Bloomington- '90-'94 (the Damon Bailey years) NW was awful.
We used to crush Wisconsin and NW in football, too.

I agree...Purdue looks really good

Remember Crean took over a program that was penalized. One former walk on was the roster Crean was given.

In 9 years, Crean had 4 NCAA appearances, 3 Sweet 16s, and 2 Conference Titles. Most people don’t count the first 2 years.

In 12 years, Painter has 9 NCAA appearances, 3 Sweet 16s, 2 Conference titles, and 1 Conference tourney title.

Not much of a difference there. With the separation being NCAA appearances. But, Painter coached for 3 more years and was given way more talent to start.

Purdue is very good this year, maybe the best it’s been in 20 years. But, the rebuild begins again next year as Purdue will struggle after this year.

Painter inherited a team that was 7-21 the previous season. In Keady’s last 5 years he missed the tourney 4 times. Purdue was a disaster when Painter took over. Painter is a lot better coach than Crean. There is a reason one has a job and the other one doesn’t.

I wouldn’t get to cocky. If we don’t get Langford Purdue still might be better then us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Indiana66
The Purdue team this year is exactly what you should expect from a senior-laden team in a weak conference this year.
I mean, let’s give some credit to Crean too here:

He won the conference twice with veteran players in his own right.

Look… Crean’s time had come but let’s not pretend there’s some vast difference between Painter and Crean. Painters been in the league like 13 years and this won it twice?

I’m pretty “meh” on him as a coach.

No we don’t have to give credit to Crean for running IU back into the ground. He was an awful coach at IU. If you can’t decipher that Painter is a much better coach then you don’t know anything about basketball.

Last edited:
Reactions: Indiana66
Why are we still talking about Crean? He’s gone! Let’s talk about our bright future with Archie.

I was responding to Crimsom Crush, who brought up Crean, and said we had to give him some credit. Why didn’t you direct your post towards him?

Painter inherited a team that was 7-21 the pervious season. In Keady’s last 5 years he missed the tourney 4 times. Purdue was a disaster when Painter took over. Painter is a lot better coach than Crean. There is a reason one has a job and the other one doesn’t.

I wouldn’t get to cocky. If we don’t get Langford Purdue still might be better then us.

You can’t be seriously comparing what Crean inherited to Painter. Oh, and Painter was on the staff the year before he took over.

And no, we don’t need Langford to beat Purdue next year.

Yep, it’s been a fun team to watch. Top 10 in both offensive and defensive efficiency bodes well for a solid run in the tourney. Definitely old school way of creating a team with 4 Senior starters. Good group of kids off the court too makes it easy to like this team. Hopefully they can stay healthy. Still a long way to go, but so far, so good.

No we don’t have to give credit to Crean for running IU back into the ground. He was an awful coach at IU. If you can’t decipher that Painter is a much better coach then you don’t know anything about basketball.

You are a friggin moron with some twisted vendetta against the guy. As I said: it was time for Crean to go but if you cannot recognize that the guy did some good things while he was here… Then you’re heartless imbecile.

The guy was actually not our first choice and a lot of people said “no way” to our dumpster fire program. Idiots on this board act like IU made the wrong hire. Nobody wanted this position. Indiana basketball was a train wreck. And, while we’re down right now it’s not even remotely near what it was when he first took over.

Reactions: IndyAuthor
I was responding to Crimsom Crush, who brought up Crean, and said we had to give him some credit. Why didn’t you direct your post towards him?

We should give Crean some credit. He did some things here. It’s not what everybody wanted but there were some positives and winning 2 outright championships is something to hang your hat on.

It was time for him to go. Snarly says that Crean ran the program into the ground. Not remotely true.

Painter, for me, is an average coach. He doesn’t recruit at an elite level and his teams have been up and down. He’s just “okay.” He flames out in the tourney and used the Mizzou situation to his advantage.

I think Archie is a solid, young coach but he still has to win. Crean has teams that could score but couldn’t play a lick of defense. This year, the reverse seems to be true. Either way you slice it, it’s ugly.

You are a friggin moron with some twisted vendetta against the guy. As I said: it was time for Crean to go but if you cannot recognize that the guy did some good things while he was here… Then you’re heartless imbecile.

The guy was actually not our first choice and a lot of people said “no way” to our dumpster fire program. Idiots on this board act like IU made the wrong hire. Nobody wanted this position. Indiana basketball was a train wreck. And, while we’re down right now it’s not even remotely near what it was when he first took over.
I agree with this. Whoever hired the known cheater set the program back a decade, at least.

I don’t have a vendetta against the guy. He was just a terrible coach. I do have a vendetta against fanboys like you who can’t admit he was terrible because of your own sensibilities. You’re the idiot who claimed Crean and Painter were similar coaches. One is coaching the 5th ranked team in the country and the other can’t find a job. Painter is a lot better coach than Crean. You should refrain from commenting about basketball if you can’t figure that out.

Last edited:
We should give Crean some credit. He did some things here. It’s not what everybody wanted but there were some positives and winning 2 outright championships is something to hang your hat on.

It was time for him to go. Snarly says that Crean ran the program into the ground. Not remotely true.

Painter, for me, is an average coach. He doesn’t recruit at an elite level and his teams have been up and down. He’s just “okay.” He flames out in the tourney and used the Mizzou situation to his advantage.

I think Archie is a solid, young coach but he still has to win. Crean has teams that could score but couldn’t play a lick of defense. This year, the reverse seems to be true. Either way you slice it, it’s ugly.

Crean was terrible and was a terrible hire. You can have the last word on him an claim he wasn’t. We’re obviously not going to agree on it.

I did think Painter was an average coach, but the last couple of years he has changed my mind. I think he is a really good coach, as much as it pains me to say. Purdue is about to have it's 2nd 4 year stretch where they won 100+ games, under Painter (The only coach to do it). Painter only had one year of coaching experience (DI Level) prior to coaching at Purdue and I think he has improved a lot over his career.

I agree with you on your assessment of Archie. I like him and think he is a good coach.

Last edited:

Eh. — he was a dbag martyr who creaned good kids. But, sure. He lifted us from the swamp...something 50 other coaches coulda done. But at least he says he loves Jesus...

I agree with this. Whoever hired the known cheater set the program back a decade, at least.

Well.... that would be our idiot president Herbert who pushed that
I don’t have a vendetta against the guy. He was just a terrible coach. I do have a vendetta against fanboys like you who can’t admit he was terrible because of your own sensibilities. You’re the idiot who that claimed Crean and Painter were similar coaches. One is coaching the 5th ranked team in the country and the other can’t find a job. Painter is a lot better coach than Crean. You should refrain from commenting about basketball if you can’t figure that out.
”Fanboys” is a catch-all phrase developed by guys like yourself to try to label, really, the vast majority of sensible fans who have the maturity in watching the game to be able to decipher when good things have happened. Painter is likely a better X’s and O’s guy. I won’t argue there. His recruiting is not what it should be and he did about the same in post season. So, no....Painter is not lighting the world on fire.

I’m just not sold on the guy. That is all. His team last year hinges on one outstanding guy and this year is purely veteran. If he was really good, he wouldn’t go through such droughts.

Last edited:
Eh. — he was a dbag martyr who creaned good kids. But, sure. He lifted us from the swamp...something 50 other coaches coulda done. But at least he says he loves Jesus...

Oh, I see, the Christian potshot. Got it. Yeah - I don’t think anybody likes that aspect of the business. Good kids get forced out all the time, just like Cujo.

Oh, I see, the Christian potshot. Got it. Yeah - I don’t think anybody likes that aspect of the business. Good kids get forced out all the time, just like Cujo.

Not a pot shot against Christians. Just against insincere, self-serving dbags who talk family and then create a culture that turns over his roster every other year. And no — Crean level creaning is not just an “aspect” of the business. Lol

But whatever! He believes he was responsible for IU’s “golden age” and is somewhere praying for Fred Glass right now. Hallelujah!

”Fanboys” is a catch-all phrase developed by guys like yourself to try to label, really, the vast majority of sensible fans who have the maturity in watching the game to be able to decipher when good things have happened. Painter is likely a better X’s and O’s guy. I won’t argue there. His recruiting is not what it should be and he did about the same in post season. So, no....Painter is not lighting the world on fire.

I’m just not sold on the guy. That is all. His team last year hinges on one outstanding guy and this year is purely veteran. If he was really good, he wouldn’t go through such droughts.

Dumb

Not a pot shot against Christians. Just against insincere, self-serving dbags who talk family and then create a culture that turns over his roster every other year.

But whatever! He believes he was responsible for IU’s “golden age” and is somewhere praying for Fred Glass right now. Hallelujah!

Well....Coach Cal is considered a father figure to many young guys, they rave about what he’s done for them and he doesn’t exactly create a culture there that screams family values.

As for IU’s golden age: that ended in the early 90s. We’ve been running on fumes for quite a while. I think Archie may restore that.

Well....Coach Cal is considered a father figure to many young guys, they rave about what he’s done for them and he doesn’t exactly create a culture there that screams family values.

As for IU’s golden age: that ended in the early 90s. We’ve been running on fumes for quite a while. I think Archie may restore that.

Haha no, one of crean’s assistants said two s16s was a new iu golden age. Crean quoted him (can’t remember who) and agreed. If only he was as good at coaching as self-promotion. But you and 5 other people ate it all up. Good for you!

Fanboys is a phrase developed to label people who lack the ability to be objective and critical of Indiana when it’s appropriate and needed. They constantly make up excuses for Indiana’s failures and refuse to hold coaches and adminstrstion accountable for mediocre results.

Some example phrases to watch out for. IU couldn’t hire anyone else. We won the big ten twice. Indiana isn’t elite anymore. Indiana isn’t a blue blood. Everyone Creans players. Young kids just don’t to come to IU anymore. It’s not 1990 anymore. Hell, someone made the excuse that our cheerleaders are dressed to conservative (that might be the weirdest one I’ve ever read).

The truth is IU is elite and will be elite again when they hire an elite coach. I hope Archie is that guy. The guy is a damn bulldog and fun to watch coach.

Last edited:
You can’t be seriously comparing what Crean inherited to Painter. Oh, and Painter was on the staff the year before he took over.

And no, we don’t need Langford to beat Purdue next year.

I would disagree with you and respond, but I’m already at my quota for nice things I can say about Purdue basketball for the year. I will have to commit seppuka if I utter another kind word towards them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT