ADVERTISEMENT

If Russia ...

MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
wanted to buy a full page ad in the New York Times, for 45 straight days prior to an American election, touting Presidential Candidate A over Presidential Candidate B, would the Times take the money and publish the ads?

Pondering ...

Well Facebook's legal dept must be rookies because they allowed the election to turn by allowing false news. Right?
I don't know if Facebook broke the law or not. My understanding is that these ad purchases were essentially automated. That may be an important detail.

But if the NYT did what OP described, that would absolutely be illegal.

I don't know if Facebook broke the law or not. My understanding is that these ad purchases were essentially automated. That may be an important detail.

But if the NYT did what OP described, that would absolutely be illegal.
How do we gauge the impact of unfettered posting of operatives on Facebook on the electorate.?

I don't even know what an OP is!
First_Appearance_Opie_Taylor.JPG

If Russia bought full page ads in the Moscow Times for 45 straight days prior to an American election, touting Presidential Candidate A over Presidential Candidate B, and shipped them to American bookstores and newspaper-selling outlets, would the bookstores and paper outlets take the money and sell the Moscow Times?

Pondering ...

wanted to buy a full page ad in the New York Times, for 45 straight days prior to an American election, touting Presidential Candidate A over Presidential Candidate B, would the Times take the money and publish the ads?

Pondering ...

The NY Times would have advanced knowledge. Facebook wouldn't. Anyone can make an account and start advertising this minute. Or multiple accounts for that matter. It's against TOS, but not easily monitored.

Who the hell is OP. This thread consists of me you and my brother.

OP is shorthand for "original poster"

It harkens back to the days when people were supposed to use the fewest letters possible on internet communications because it used less bytes in cyber-space, and made dial-up internet connection modems quicker.

Now, its used to show hipness.

Gud 2 tlk 2 u.
C U L8r.

How do we gauge the impact of unfettered posting of operatives on Facebook on the electorate.?
s0zwdHWpvDwdA7N_0uNC1Efw10AmoCpaWTmONf7nZp8.png
I saw that meme the other day. What's the point? Spending the most money doesn't mean you win. So I guess that means you don't think those constant fake stories had anything to do with it? Maybe check out PizzaGate for how fake news affects the not so smart.

I saw that meme the other day. What's the point? Spending the most money doesn't mean you win. So I guess that means you don't think those constant fake stories had anything to do with it? Maybe check out PizzaGate for how fake news affects the not so smart.

It's 3000 ad campaigns on Facebook (that they found so far), not just 3000 ad impressions.

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
If Russia bought full page ads in the Moscow Times for 45 straight days prior to an American election, touting Presidential Candidate A over Presidential Candidate B, and shipped them to American bookstores and newspaper-selling outlets, would the bookstores and paper outlets take the money and sell the Moscow Times?

Pondering ...

I'm sure the Moscow Times would be a huge seller in Scranton, PA or Appleton, WI.

Agreeance with the Zebra. Not too many original posts on this lawyer-led, adversary-bred, ideology-fed "forum."

That said, Marvin, with the unique talent of being original and communicating it engagingly, rocks!

Is it kosher to like a flattering post of yourself?

Pondering ...
The NYT?

Take sides in an election?

Take money without regard for its source or purpose?

Is there a cow in Texas?

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
I am sick and tired of you constantly hiding behind a crutch. Debate.I reviewed the entire thread and there is no op.
OP means original poster. And to be honest, a lot of times it is hard to understand what you're talking about because your posts make no sense.

That's an interesting statute.

A political donation by a dreamer is a violation. Perhaps in-kind services or other non-monetary support for a candidate by a dreamer is a violation--depending whether in-kind is the same as a direct payment under this statute.

While I don't recall specific names or dates, I do recall adult dreamers, who conspicuously show their non-documented status, taking part in a televised debate in support of immigration reform. That might also be a violation.

What I don't understand is the public policy behind this statute in view of the fact that foreign nationals and foreign governments are free hire lobbyists and use other means to influence policy and legislation.

That's an interesting statute.

A political donation by a dreamer is a violation. Perhaps in-kind services or other non-monetary support for a candidate by a dreamer is a violation--depending whether in-kind is the same as a direct payment under this statute.

While I don't recall specific names or dates, I do recall adult dreamers, who conspicuously show their non-documented status, taking part in a televised debate in support of immigration reform. That might also be a violation.

What I don't understand is the public policy behind this statute in view of the fact that foreign nationals and foreign governments are free hire lobbyists and use other means to influence policy and legislation.
According to everything I've read about the law, public campaigning on policies and issues is not a violation. Only contributions to support specific candidates are banned.

According to everything I've read about the law, public campaigning on policies and issues is not a violation. Only contributions to support specific candidates are banned.

Yeah, the ol' "call Joe Blow" and tell him to support immigration reform" dodge. We mostly hear those ads during campaign seasons and when Joe Blow as already publicly taken a contrary position.

But I think your point only applies to federal elections because federal elections don't have issues on the ballot. Issues would be covered under subsection A for state and local elections.

Yeah, the ol' "call Joe Blow" and tell him to support immigration reform" dodge. We mostly hear those ads during campaign seasons and when Joe Blow as already publicly taken a contrary position.

But I think your point only applies to federal elections because federal elections don't have issues on the ballot. Issues would be covered under subsection A for state and local elections.
I don't know if that would qualify as an election or not, but I was responding to your hypothetical about a televised debate about an issue, rather than a ballot initiative. Foreign nationals definitely have the right to publicly state an opinion on issues and policies. At least for foreign nationals legally in the United States, in fact, the First Amendment would protect that right (I think the jury is still out on those illegally in the US).

ADVERTISEMENT