ADVERTISEMENT

If masks and social distancing don't work, why is the flu at an all time record low in the US?

DrHoops

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 7, 2001
From the AP:
Flu has virtually disappeared from the U.S., with reports coming in at far lower levels than anything seen in decades.
Experts say that measures put in place to fend off the coronavirus — mask wearing, social distancing and virtual schooling — were a big factor in preventing a “twindemic” of flu and COVID-19. A push to get more people vaccinated against flu probably helped, too, as did fewer people traveling, they say.
Nationally, “this is the lowest flu season we’ve had on record,” according to a surveillance system that is about 25 years old, said Lynnette Brammer of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

From the AP:
Flu has virtually disappeared from the U.S., with reports coming in at far lower levels than anything seen in decades.
Experts say that measures put in place to fend off the coronavirus — mask wearing, social distancing and virtual schooling — were a big factor in preventing a “twindemic” of flu and COVID-19. A push to get more people vaccinated against flu probably helped, too, as did fewer people traveling, they say.
Nationally, “this is the lowest flu season we’ve had on record,” according to a surveillance system that is about 25 years old, said Lynnette Brammer of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

I don’t know who says they don’t “work.” The real discussion is about trade offs. I’d rather get the flu than be isolated. Wouldn’t you?

I don’t know who says they don’t “work.” The real discussion is about trade offs. I’d rather get the flu than be isolated. Wouldn’t you?

Co-sign but "work" is a relative term. Masks were politicized and imho their benefits greatly exaggerated. One can compare counties with mask mandates vs those neighboring counties without mask mandates as well as states with and without and see no material difference. Calif/Ny to Tx/Fla is illustrative. IMO this thing moved like a wildfire and if you were a "hotspot" little short of staying home was going to make a difference - masks certainly didn't. Anecdotal - every family member wore masks religiously and every one of us got covid. We also until very recently never ate out; never went to bars; etc. Most of my friends and extended family have had it as well - all religiously wore masks.

But I hope the American "I am only sick, I will go to work and infect everyone else" goes away forever.

From the AP:

So we should wear masks forever to prevent transmissible diseases and totally screw our immune systems?? Suggestion ?!

Of course! We have had a lot of people (The My Pillow Guy today at CPAC, for instance) who won't wear a mask...or social distance when it profoundly reduced flu numbers. But when 500,000 people died of Covid in the last year, the flu numbers show it could have been much worse.

One wonders if we just went about our business under the guise of "freedom" how many more deaths would occur.

And, of course. I f#cking hate wearing a mask. Just an interesting side bar to Covid response. And I'd rather wear a mask than get Covid. The flu doesn't do this:

Last edited:
Co-sign but "work" is a relative term. Masks were politicized and imho their benefits greatly exaggerated. One can compare counties with mask mandates vs those neighboring counties without mask mandates as well as states with and without and see no material difference. Calif/Ny to Tx/Fla is illustrative. IMO this thing moved like a wildfire and if you were a "hotspot" little short of staying home was going to make a difference - masks certainly didn't. Anecdotal - every family member wore masks religiously and every one of us got covid. We also until very recently never ate out; never went to bars; etc. Most of my friends and extended family have had it as well - all religiously wore masks.
So it behaved like a virus. Imagine that

Reactions: DANC
My son and a friend quarantined at home in September for 10 days from college. My wife and I made a decision to not wear masks in the house and neither of us contracted the virus. In December I picked it up at my office where I never was in contact with patients (private FP office) without masking up. And lo and behold I spent the week of New Years at home with COVID. It’s a f—-ing virus that penetrates the best of our defense mechanisms. The ONLY way to win is herd immunity... get infected or get immunized. Or never ever leave your plastic bubble. And shockingly we now know that being infected protects us from future infection. Common sense told us in the profession that was the case but we had to wait a year before the “experts” blessed us with that info. But don’t worry. Fauci fanatics will continue to double mask and stay away from humanity until the end of time. Triggered? Hell yes I’m triggered

My son and a friend quarantined at home in September for 10 days from college. My wife and I made a decision to not wear masks in the house and neither of us contracted the virus. In December I picked it up at my office where I never was in contact with patients (private FP office) without masking up. And lo and behold I spent the week of New Years at home with COVID. It’s a f—-ing virus that penetrates the best of our defense mechanisms. The ONLY way to win is herd immunity... get infected or get immunized. Or never ever leave your plastic bubble. And shockingly we now know that being infected protects us from future infection. Common sense told us in the profession that was the case but we had to wait a year before the “experts” blessed us with that info. But don’t worry. Fauci fanatics will continue to double mask and stay away from humanity until the end of time. Triggered? Hell yes I’m triggered
Covid killed the largest business deal of my life last March. I could have lived the life of Dr Hoops. Believe me I too am frustrated. But it was novel and we’re almost through it and we need to be glad of that and sorry for those who lost loved ones or got really sick. As for the politicians - I hated them pre Covid and I hate them post Covid.

Covid killed the largest business deal of my life last March. I could have lived the life of Dr Hoops. Believe me I too am frustrated. But it was novel and we’re almost through it and we need to be glad of that and sorry for those who lost loved ones or got really sick. As for the politicians - I hated them pre Covid and I hate them post Covid.

Mac, we can be roomies!

Agree with you. But ultimately it do what viruses do. Which is infect very efficiently. No way to really stop it

Reactions: vesuvius13
Agree with you. But ultimately it do what viruses do. Which is infect very efficiently. No way to really stop it

Sammy, the point is that we should listen to what virologists and immunologists about how to keep death rates as low as possible. The flu being non-existent shows that what we did worked.

I despise wearing a mask, but the way I see it, I'm doing my part to not accidentally kill someone. Wearing a mask is not that bad and it will hopefully be over very soon.

Absolutely. Though I think we’re going to see a lot of large employers switch their workforce to remote work into perpetuity.

I hope that is accurate. I still know a lot of people that hate the idea, too many are stuck on "that isn't the way I learned to work".

Personally, there are some tasks I do better at home and some from the office. Hard activities that require focus, home is great. Boring repetitive work, too many possible distractions

Absolutely. Though I think we’re going to see a lot of large employers switch their workforce to remote work into perpetuity.
Will be interesting to see. I guess they’ll gauge productivity and decide over time, coupled with office lease savings. I have to say tho ranger I’m going a little insane working from home. I went from suit pants and dress shirts to sweats and t shirts with a number on the back. There’s also little order to the day. Just blends together....I think a fair number will want to go back to the office

Ranger. Totally off-topic question. Tom Cotton has said he was an Army Ranger throughout his political career, but he was never a Ranger. Apparently he went to training and had a ranger patch but was not an Army Ranger. Is this "stolen valor" in your opinion (or some other no no?). Just curious to hear your thoughts.

Ranger. Totally off-topic question. Tom Cotton has said he was an Army Ranger throughout his political career, but he was never a Ranger. Apparently he went to training and had a ranger patch but was not an Army Ranger. Is this "stolen valor" in your opinion (or some other no no?). Just curious to hear your thoughts.
I weighed in on this already. It’s a nuanced discussion to be had amongst infantrymen that have graduated from Ranger School and those that went into the Ranger Regiment. I’m no fan of Cotton but it isn’t permitted for a rear echelon journalist to shame him. Earning the Ranger tab is a big ****ing deal and that journalist wouldn’t stand a chance.

It’s very common for grads of Ranger school (less than 2% of the Army) to refer to themselves as Rangers. Typically when the Regiment guys hassle the non-Regiment guys who call themselves Rangers it’s more done in a joking manner.

I hope that is accurate. I still know a lot of people that hate the idea, too many are stuck on "that isn't the way I learned to work".

Personally, there are some tasks I do better at home and some from the office. Hard activities that require focus, home is great. Boring repetitive work, too many possible distractions
I don’t know how many will switch everyone to full time from home and shutter offices. I think it’ll be a hybrid approach. I see companies downsizing their office footprints a bit but still having meeting spaces available for meeting in person. There is still no substitute for in-person collaboration.

I weighed in on this already. It’s a nuanced discussion to be had amongst infantrymen that have graduated from Ranger School and those that went into the Ranger Regiment. I’m no fan of Cotton but it isn’t permitted for a rear echelon journalist to shame him. Earning the Ranger tab is a big ****ing deal and that journalist wouldn’t stand a chance.

It’s very common for grads of Ranger school (less than 2% of the Army) to refer to themselves as Rangers. Typically when the Regiment guys hassle the non-Regiment guys who call themselves Rangers it’s more done in a joking manner.

Thank you. Just wanted to hear your thoughts on the matter. I saw a tweet by a Ranger, Congressman Jason Crow:

I thought I'd bounce it off you. I'm sure opinions vary, just like with everything else. Thanks for responding.

Will be interesting to see. I guess they’ll gauge productivity and decide over time, coupled with office lease savings. I have to say tho ranger I’m going a little insane working from home. I went from suit pants and dress shirts to sweats and t shirts with a number on the back. There’s also little order to the day. Just blends together....I think a fair number will want to go back to the office
The one thing I miss that I thought I wouldn’t miss are in person meetings. I find it hard to stay focused when I’m sitting in my cave listening to everyone else. Plus you can’t read a room at all on a Zoom call.

Ditto on the t shirts. I lie and tell people my internet sucks at home and if I turn on the camera my call will freeze. It’s a lie but a white one.

The one thing I miss that I thought I wouldn’t miss are in person meetings. I find it hard to stay focused when I’m sitting in my cave listening to everyone else. Plus you can’t read a room at all on a Zoom call.

Ditto on the t shirts. I lie and tell people my internet sucks at home and if I turn on the camera my call will freeze. It’s a lie but a white one.

100% agree. People need to do face to face meetings in order to do proper due diligence. Zoom calls will only cut it for so long.

Thank you. Just wanted to hear your thoughts on the matter. I saw a tweet by a Ranger, Congressman Jason Crow:

I thought I'd bounce it off you. I'm sure opinions vary, just like with everything else. Thanks for responding.
Crow’s being a bit of a jerk there - not a good look. I always tell people I had a Ranger tab and served in positions (various leadership roles in corps-level reconnaissance) that necessitated I had a tab. The timing didn’t work out for me to try out for the 75th. But if I was running for office I too wouldn’t call myself a Ranger. Cotton isn’t the brightest of them.

Concur on all fronts. Zoom sucks. It’s all a weird vibe when your indoor game attire suddenly becomes work clothes.

Crow’s being a bit of a jerk there - not a good look. I always tell people I had a Ranger tab and served in positions (various leadership roles in corps-level reconnaissance) that necessitated I had a tab. The timing didn’t work out for me to try out for the 75th. But if I was running for office I too wouldn’t call myself a Ranger. Cotton isn’t the brightest of them.

I can see both sides. This is probably a terrible example because I wasn't in the military, but in reading books by Delta Force Operators (Kill Bin Laden and others), they seem to have a very strong opinion of their "status" vs. say, the Green Berets. I don't know how many times "Dalton Fury" said stuff, like "Delta has arrived and the Green Berets had to make room because we are going to play by Delta's rules." (not an actual quote. Just the way I felt he was explaining). He was never looking down on anyone. Just the opposite. But, he seemed to have a very strong opinion of who is who.

I can see both sides. This is probably a terrible example because I wasn't in the military, but in reading books by Delta Force Operators (Kill Bin Laden and others), they seem to have a very strong opinion of their "status" vs. say, the Green Berets. I don't know how many times "Dalton Fury" said stuff, like "Delta has arrived and the Green Berets had to make room because we are going to play by Delta's rules." (not an actual quote. Just the way I felt he was explaining). He was never looking down on anyone. Just the opposite. But, he seemed to have a very strong opinion of who is who.
Delta and Green berets are completely different units. Delta gets most of their guys from the rangers for what it’s worth.

A better analogy is someone who has passed law school and the bar exam but then didn’t try to get a job as a lawyer calling themselves a lawyer.

in order to try out for the 75th when I was in we had to fill a packet out at a very specific time in service. I was deployed and by the time I returned I was past the window. Being selected as an officer in the 75th is an intersection of luck and opportunity. Passing Ranger school is all about perseverance and determination.

Delta and Green berets are completely different units. Delta gets most of their guys from the rangers for what it’s worth.

A better analogy is someone who has passed law school and the bar exam but then didn’t try to get a job as a lawyer calling themselves a lawyer.

in order to try out for the 75th when I was in we had to fill a packet out at a very specific time in service. I was deployed and by the time I returned I was past the window. Being selected as an officer in the 75th is an intersection of luck and opportunity. Passing Ranger school is all about perseverance and determination.

Yeah, I knew I was wading into trouble with my example. Thanks, Ranger.

My kids have been in school all year. The 3 of them have each had 1 cold...that’s it. Our house is usually full of sickness October-March. The masks work tremendously well.

Reactions: Indianaftw
My kids have been in school all year. The 3 of them have each had 1 cold...that’s it. Our house is usually full of sickness October-March. The masks work tremendously well.
So should they wear them forever to prevent colds? Valid question

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT