ADVERTISEMENT

If Indiana adopted the oad model would you buy in?

Yes or no oad

• Total voters

Wall2Boogie

Sophomore
Jan 28, 2010
We currently have a player that averages 4 pts a game and didn’t even start that will probably leave for the nba. Frankly, Ill be glad when it’s over. Yes, you don’t get to know the players and their development over 4 years but 7 months. The bonus side is you get to make a deep run in the tournament every yr and recruiting handles itself. Given the current state of Indiana basketball, would you atleast try the oad model? I’m asking an honest question. No bs, no trolling. I’m halfway respected here more than some of the regulars so I’m curious if you would accept it if given the opportunity?

Reactions: Deli owl
Wasn’t Romeo Langford fitting the One And Done model? Some players earlier? And to have all incoming players in that group is unlikely at a vast majority of places, probably IU included. I voted no.

Yes but not at the paying for players point that UK is doing
Cheap shot dude. If we’re paying duke is paying more cause we aren’t getting top 5 guys. We’re getting studs sure, but not the towns or Davis types. Like we allegedly paid 250k for which would of came out 2 hours after the transaction Meanwhile, Sean is caught on tape paying Ayton 100k and the ncaa looks the other way

I love cal but when he shows recruits the money his players are making in the nba it ruins it for the fans. I get players first, but being a sophomore at yo is frowned upon, which is stupid. Romeo, would be an example of a guy that would really benefit from a second yr, but the hype, family, etc won’t allow that. He like a lot of uk players will spend plenty of time in the gleague

Just because Romeo was average..Yes even averaging 16pt..Yes he was hurt ..But he still played with about zero passion..So you can spin it many ways..
Other 5 ☆ may come in and just kill it..
So yes to OAD..But we're not that cool of a place to get many..And Archie may be easier to connect with than say Crean.Who was odd..And I meet Tom.
Archie doesn't come across as some super hip guy.
We have to still sell tradition..No matter how old it is..Let the campus itself help...And then give them the same lie all coaches give..We'll help you get to the association ..
Go Hoosiers !!

Just because Romeo was average..Yes even averaging 16pt..Yes he was hurt ..But he still played with about zero passion..So you can spin it many ways..
Other 5 ☆ may come in and just kill it..
So yes to OAD..But we're not that cool of a place to get many..And Archie may be easier to connect with than say Crean.Who was odd..And I meet Tom.
Archie doesn't come across as some super hip guy.
We have to still sell tradition..No matter how old it is..Let the campus itself help...And then give them the same lie all coaches give..We'll help you get to the association ..
Go Hoosiers !!
Imo Romeo was going through the motions because his dad had been building him up as the next Michael Jordan his whole life. If he doesn’t develop a shot he won’t last. He better pick up a second language

I think it’s fair to say that Archie basically gave in to anything Romeo wanted because he didn’t want to upset his star. Romeo was about Romeo. You could tell losing didn’t bother him as much when he got his and the last shot every time at the end of the game. I think having tjd will change the landscape with the guys returning and the atmosphere will be more pleasant than it was this yr. we don’t know what goes on behind the scenes but I’m sure Romeo was about Romeo not Indiana as a team because he knew after one yr he was leaving no matter what

I’ve voted no. And I think I come at this with a strong perspective for the IU fan and the UK fan alike. Let me explain.

I spend more time on your board than ours. It’s because yours is more interesting far more active and more informative. When I’m there I’m treated with respect because I’m polite and I don’t post that much. Besides to my great surprise I’ve really come to like Cal.

I’ve also lived (aside from college time in the 70’s and a couple of years teaching in Bloomington in the early 80s) in the Louisville area in a southern Indiana suburb. So I’ve heard a lot about UK in my lifetime.

At the same time I was a student at IU in 1976 when they went undefeated and the year before that I was a student at Purdue. Before then I followed college basketball as much as you could in days when they’re were not a lot of TV games. And ever since I’ve been a fan of IU first then Purdue and UL and recently UK.

My point is I think the typical UK fan (or at least the median UK fan) is concerned first and foremost about winning. That fan is searching for number nine and then 10 and then catching UCLA while staying ahead of Carolina and Duke. That’s what your board tells me as well as all the UK fans I know.

In fact I think that if Cal had five starters who were selling drugs in the off-season and wound up going to prison after winning number nine that typical UK fan would be happy. I would bet they would even follow them in prison yard basketball leagues and post when one of them went off for 50. But don’t get me wrong there’s nothing wrong with that because the average UK fan is truly a fan of the uniform and that is awesome. Surely they would prefer the seemingly good kids that Cal is bringing in (which was the surprise to me by the way). And they don’t want to cheat and see a banner brought down. that’s why I respect UK fans that feel that way.

On the other hand IU fans are not like that. They are fans of the team and its players and it’s coaches and not just the candy stripe pants. Maybe we were spoiled with the way Knight was able to succeed.

I know that in September 1975 I could’ve walked into the HPER building in Bloomington and if a shirt and skins game we’re going on I could’ve told you who was Quinn Buckner who was Bobby Wilkerson who was Scott Mae and who was Ken Benson. Five, 10, 15 and 20 years later if I could’ve gotten in without a student ID I could’ve done the same thing.

Watching as many minutes of UK basketball as I do each year it’s the middle of January before I could do that with the UK roster and that would bother me.

Again I’m not disparaging the OAD way I just think the IU fan mindset is different then the UK fan

By the way what would I like? UL’s success under Pitino but without hookers and cheaters. Too bad he couldn’t do that, and all the IU coaches since RMK couldn’t either.

Last edited:
I’ve voted no. And I think I come at this with a strong perspective for the IU fan and the UK fan alike. Let me explain.

I spend more time on your board than ours. It’s because yours is more interesting far more active and more informative. When I’m there I’m treated with respect because I’m polite and I don’t post that much. Besides to my great surprise I’ve really come to like Cal.

I’ve also lived (aside from college time in the 70’s and a couple of years teaching in Bloomington in the early 80s) in the Louisville area in a southern Indiana suburb. So I’ve heard a lot about UK in my lifetime.

At the same time I was a student at IU in 1976 when they went undefeated and the year before that I was a student at Purdue. Before then I followed college basketball as much as you could in days when they’re were not a lot of TV games. And ever since I’ve been a fan of IU first then Purdue and UL and recently UK.

My point is I think the typical UK fan (or at least the median UK fan) is concerned first and foremost about winning. That fan is searching for number nine and then 10 and then catching UCLA while staying ahead of Carolina and Duke. That’s what your board tells me as well as all the UK fans I know.

In fact I think that if Cal had five starters who were selling drugs in the off-season and wound up going to prison after winning number nine that typical UK fan would be happy. I would bet they would even follow them in prison yard basketball leagues and post when one of them went off for 50. But don’t get me wrong there’s nothing wrong with that because the average UK fan is truly a fan of the uniform and that is awesome. Surely they would prefer the seemingly good kids that Cal is bringing in (which was the surprise to me by the way). And they don’t want to cheat and see a banner brought down. that’s why I respect UK fans that feel that way.

On the other hand IU fans are not like that. They are fans of the team and its players and it’s coaches and not just the candy stripe pants. Maybe we were spoiled with the way Knight was able to succeed.

I know that in September 1975 I could’ve walked into the HPER building in Bloomington and if a shirt and skins game we’re going on I could’ve told you who was Quinn Buckner who was Bobby Wilkerson who was Scott Mae and who was Ken Benson. Five, 10, 15 and 20 years later if I could’ve gotten in without a student ID I could’ve done the same thing.

Watching as many minutes of UK basketball as I do each year it’s the middle of January before I could do that with the UK roster and that would bother me.

Again I’m not disparaging the oh a deep way I just think the IU fan mindset is different then the UK fan

By the way what would I like? UL’s success under Pitino but without hookers and cheaters. Too bad he couldn’t do that, and all the IU coaches since RMK couldn’t either.
Spot on post. We do support our players, but we don’t support the cheating bs. The one thing cal does recruit is guys that come from good families and are high character guys. If he thinks a player is dirty he stays away. Examples would be selby, Ayton, Muhammad, etc. when cal stops recruiting a kid there’s a reason for it. He knows the ncaa watches his every move based on his past stops. I think he may of suspected camby took money, but I honestly don’t think cal knew till after the fact because it reflects on him. With Derrick rose the season was 3/4 of the way over. Whoever took the act for him cal hadn’t no way to control that. I would venture to say someone in his inner circle pulled the strings for him to get the passing grades. Say what you want about his pst stops, but since being at uk not once as he been thought of as being a cheater. The ncaa would have no problem dropping the hammer. Meanwhile, kids like zions family suddenly move into a 750,000 house. Kansas has multiple infractions and de sosa is somehow now eligible after taking money, and Sean Miller and will wade are still employed. If any of those things happened to cal he would of been fired yesterday. Hell Sampson and pearl are child’s play compared to what those other guys got away with. That’s why I respect Archie because he’s doing it the right way but it takes time after 9 years of creepy crean.

What does the question even mean? Every school tries to run the OAD model. Every single one. It’s not like some schools are choosing not to recruit the best players because they don’t want them. Some schools are just better at landing them because they have the most to offer.

It’s not a “model”. It’s just the best programs getting the best players. Like it’s always worked.

What does the question even mean? Every school tries to run the OAD model. Every single one. It’s not like some schools are choosing not to recruit the best players because they don’t want them. Some schools are just better at landing them because they have the most to offer.

It’s not a “model”. It’s just the best programs getting the best players. Like it’s always worked.
Indiana is still considered a good program whether you acknowledge it or not. I’m simply asking if you could build a team every year of oad players would you be happy with that knowing you’re in the hunt every yr, or would you prefer the traditional four yr player that you watch grow, and hope that he leads you to a championship? Personally I think you need a team of sophomores and juniors who have been there and atleast 2 top 15 guys to be successful, similar to that of Michigan state or North Carolina. It’s funny watching puke crash and burn the last couple of years since k decided to start going the oad route. They should of won it the last two years with the bagley team that was definitely the best team, and of course this yr with the top 3 players in the nation.

We currently have a player that averages 4 pts a game and didn’t even start that will probably leave for the nba. Frankly, Ill be glad when it’s over. Yes, you don’t get to know the players and their development over 4 years but 7 months. The bonus side is you get to make a deep run in the tournament every yr and recruiting handles itself. Given the current state of Indiana basketball, would you atleast try the oad model? I’m asking an honest question. No bs, no trolling. I’m halfway respected here more than some of the regulars so I’m curious if you would accept it if given the opportunity?
By definition one and done players are few and far between. If Duke gets a handful and Kentucky gets a handful and Memphis and UCLA get a couple that’s it. There’s no one in done model to even try.

By definition one and done players are few and far between. If Duke gets a handful and Kentucky gets a handful and Memphis and UCLA get a couple that’s it. There’s no one in done model to even try.
True, let’s be honest you think you guys have it bad UCLA is in rough shape they won’t be getting much of anything. As for Memphis, penny wouldn’t have wiseman or anyone else that’s oad if he hadn’t coached them before. If he fails, he will fall into obscurity. Look at Kevin Ollie. Sure he won twice but once he wasn’t succeeding he got canned. And he won two titles. You guys will be back before UCLA. Cronin is a terrible coach. He has a sweet 16 under his belt in the 8 years he was at uc. Terrible hire. If you get discouraged with Archie just think it could be worse.

No, unless I can't get a team of Cody Zeller's (who technically wasn't a one and done but could have been).

I vote no for several reasons. One is I altruistically prefer watching players play their guts out for their school...not sit out games because it might hurt their draft stock (thinking of Vonleh, not Romeo).

I'm also tired of grown ass men who are IU fans with their heads so far up an 18 year old's ass because of their talent. It's like I have to relive the fab five every year...you know the actual team that was really good, but never technically won anything while getting all of the hype. People today still think that Michigan is the fab five and that Howard is huge because he brings back the fan five....all while Glen Rice is thinking I actually won a national championship a couple years before.

I also think one and dones are disruptive as f#$k. People absolutely hate Archie, want his head because Romeo was just okay this year and the team missed the tournament in a 'how in the hell do you miss the tournament when you have the greatest player of all time in Romeo on it!!!???'

Lastly at my age (coming up on 50) one year is nothing as far as time. Having guys for 9 months and then leave sucks. My entertainment is having a favorite player for multiple years and the emotional payoff is remembering how they were as freshman compared to the beast they have turned into.

I'll love Juwan Morgan forever. Romeo was a one night stand.

Before I answer, curious to why you say “be glad when it’s over“.

I think it’s fair to say that Archie basically gave in to anything Romeo wanted because he didn’t want to upset his star. Romeo was about Romeo. You could tell losing didn’t bother him as much when he got his and the last shot every time at the end of the game. I think having tjd will change the landscape with the guys returning and the atmosphere will be more pleasant than it was this yr. we don’t know what goes on behind the scenes but I’m sure Romeo was about Romeo not Indiana as a team because he knew after one yr he was leaving no matter what
Just because you are SURE about Romeo doesn't mean you are right. I see something different when i look at Romeo.

No, unless I can't get a team of Cody Zeller's (who technically wasn't a one and done but could have been).

I vote no for several reasons. One is I altruistically prefer watching players play their guts out for their school...not sit out games because it might hurt their draft stock (thinking of Vonleh, not Romeo).

I'm also tired of grown ass men who are IU fans with their heads so far up an 18 year old's ass because of their talent. It's like I have to relive the fab five every year...you know the actual team that was really good, but never technically won anything while getting all of the hype. People today still think that Michigan is the fab five and that Howard is huge because he brings back the fan five....all while Glen Rice is thinking I actually won a national championship a couple years before.

I also think one and dones are disruptive as f#$k. People absolutely hate Archie, want his head because Romeo was just okay this year and the team missed the tournament in a 'how in the hell do you miss the tournament when you have the greatest player of all time in Romeo on it!!!???'

Lastly at my age (coming up on 50) one year is nothing as far as time. Having guys for 9 months and then leave sucks. My entertainment is having a favorite player for multiple years and the emotional payoff is remembering how they were as freshman compared to the beast they have turned into.

my thoughts, exactly

Reactions: TommyCracker
There you have it. Lying is cheating’s handmaiden. Bird summarized UK’s b-ball history quite well when he said Roby took a pay cut to play for the Celtics.

Poor Cleveland State if the NCAA does catch Calipari’s program doing their KY business as usual.

Indiana is still considered a good program whether you acknowledge it or not. I’m simply asking if you could build a team every year of oad players would you be happy with that knowing you’re in the hunt every yr, or would you prefer the traditional four yr player that you watch grow, and hope that he leads you to a championship? Personally I think you need a team of sophomores and juniors who have been there and atleast 2 top 15 guys to be successful, similar to that of Michigan state or North Carolina. It’s funny watching puke crash and burn the last couple of years since k decided to start going the oad route. They should of won it the last two years with the bagley team that was definitely the best team, and of course this yr with the top 3 players in the nation.
Every school would be happy to have the Zion’s of the world every year. There’s really not a question here.

Every school would be happy to have the Zion’s of the world every year. There’s really not a question here.
I don’t agree as others have mentioned they much prefer watching a player, a class, a team develop over four years. What did Zion do for Duke he won a lot of games and lost a few plus he left a cloud of suspicion over a good school with a great basketball tradition.

Reactions: TommyCracker
I don’t agree as others have mentioned they much prefer watching a player, a class, a team develop over four years. What did Zion do for Duke he won a lot of games and lost a few plus he left a cloud of suspicion over a good school with a great basketball tradition.
Also looks like he didn’t make any of his teammates better. Barrett is now playing ball to the level he was expected to play to before joining with Zion.

Zion is much better but I think of Teasdale when I watch Zion. Little bit small for the pros and a lefty with a mediocre shot.

Also looks like he didn’t make any of his teammates better. Barrett is now playing ball to the level he was expected to play to before joining with Zion.

Zion is much better but I think of Teasdale when I watch Zion. Little bit small for the pros and a lefty with a mediocre shot.
Maybe that should be much better jumper than Teasdale.

Nope. I insist on a program with kids that are connected to the university, play for the jersey and the traditions that are IU. Players that are real students earing real degrees despite the reality of basketball being a primary focus for them.

Outsourcing the program to a revolving door of mercenaries is empty and disconnected. Not interested.

All men still harbor secret spots in their hearts for the one night stands (insert sigh)...the one trick ponies who came out of nowhere and left before the light of day, never to be seen again. Romeo wasn’t such a bad thing-he just wasn’t there for the long haul of ball.

Nope. I insist on a program with kids that are connected to the university, play for the jersey and the traditions that are IU. Players that are real students earing real degrees despite the reality of basketball being a primary focus for them.

Outsourcing the program to a revolving door of mercenaries is empty and disconnected. Not interested.
This can happen but also is a misconception as a whole as far as UK is concerned. A large portion of their OAD kids come back all the time and many are working on degrees in the summer. They seem to enjoy coming back and talk very highly of the program. Great voices and recruiters for the program. It seems only one player left upset over playing time and he would have started the next year.

On the other side we get to watch them for many more years in the NBA instead of trying to find which insurance company they work for. I personally am interested in the NBA again since I can watch these guys.

For me OAD is fun. Jmo

Reactions: cryano
All men still harbor secret spots in their hearts for the one night stands (insert sigh)...the one trick ponies who came out of nowhere and left before the light of day, never to be seen again. Romeo wasn’t such a bad thing-he just wasn’t there for the long haul of ball.

maxresdefault.jpg

“Grown ass men”....is that the same thing as grown “ass bandits”? When I was still in college, an “ass bandit” was someone to be revered for their sexual prowess of high quality and quantity, stealing “love” whenever and wherever they could find it.

This can happen but also is a misconception as a whole as far as UK is concerned. A large portion of their OAD kids come back all the time and many are working on degrees in the summer. They seem to enjoy coming back and talk very highly of the program. Great voices and recruiters for the program. It seems only one player left upset over playing time and he would have started the next year.

On the other side we get to watch them for many more years in the NBA instead of trying to find which insurance company they work for. I personally am interested in the NBA again since I can watch these guys.

For me OAD is fun. Jmo

You are a good soldier. Some of my UK collogues (actual UK grads) who are honest over some good bourbon admit that they like the wins but would much prefer a university-based program that wins. They miss the player connections and university-based program.

Reactions: CriticArisen
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT