ADVERTISEMENT

If I'm Jackson-Davis, I transfer ...

Here we are falling 20 down and he's on the bench. Archie doesn't utilize him well at all. Imagine this pathetic team without him next season. Please fire Archie!
I guarantee Miller’s handling of both TJD and Romeo, his two elite recruits, is being used against him in recruiting battles. Fairly or not, opposing coaches will talk about the speed of development to get kids to the NBA quickest and with the highest degree of readiness, and they’ll take shots at Miller on that.

TJD took 1 shot the first half. Is he under the weather today? He's had zero floor presence. Where's the fight in him?

IU is really on par with Rutgers or Iowa State, just a lower tier program.

Good thing you guys got rid of Knight.

I guarantee Miller’s handling of both TJD and Romeo, his two elite recruits, is being used against him in recruiting battles. Fairly or not, opposing coaches will talk about the speed of development to get kids to the NBA quickest and with the highest degree of readiness, and they’ll take shots at Miller on that.

You mean Romeo, the highest scoring freshman in the conference last year and 3rd all time at IU and lottery pick? And TJD averaging 14 and 8 and 4 time big ten frosh of the week? I think a lot can be said about Miller's coaching right now, but not sure that is one of them at this point. Compare TJD and Rocket Watts freshman seasons right now.

You mean Romeo, the highest scoring freshman in the conference last year and 3rd all time at IU and lottery pick? And TJD averaging 14 and 8 and 4 time big ten frosh of the week? I think a lot can be said about Miller's coaching right now, but not sure that is one of them at this point. Compare TJD and Rocket Watts freshman seasons right now.
Look at the results of the teams they’ve both played on and the long stretches of games where both have disappeared. Yes, I guarantee it’s happening, and that it’s already happened (see Keion Brooks). It may not be fair, but elite kids expect deep tournament runs, too. Not getting in isn’t a consideration for most of them.

Reactions: Radio Zero
Look at the results of the teams they’ve both played on and the long stretches of games where both have disappeared. Yes, I guarantee it’s happening, and that it’s already happened (see Keion Brooks). It may not be fair, but elite kids expect deep tournament runs, too. Not getting in isn’t a consideration for most of them.

UK has really done a lot for Keion's pro career so far. He hardly even plays, much less does anything.

UK has really done a lot for Keion's pro career so far. He hardly even plays, much less does anything.
How much do you think IU would’ve done for him? Didn’t KB’s dad essentially acknowledge that UK was a closer, surer path to the NBA? You don’t think those rumors aren’t picking up steam? Look at the incoming class and see who IU beat for each of them. It’s telling.

that’s idiotic he’ll be a big piece for next years team. Currently he’s competing against other 5 star talent improving his game and practicing against elite talent why would he come to indiana and struggle to make the tournament and practice against bums?

How much do you think IU would’ve done for him? Didn’t KB’s dad essentially acknowledge that UK was a closer, surer path to the NBA? You don’t think those rumors aren’t picking up steam? Look at the incoming class and see who IU beat for each of them. It’s telling.

Not really, no. Name some other big name recruits we have truly had a chance at and missed that have went to NBA producing powerhouses. It's a very short list.

that’s idiotic he’ll be a big piece for next years team. Currently he’s competing against other 5 star talent improving his game and practicing against elite talent why would he come to indiana and struggle to make the tournament and practice against bums?

Is it idiotic, or is TJD having a better freshman season than his buddy Keion? Congrats to Keion for making the tourney. But the original point was that UK was a fast track to the NBA. That isn't proving to be the case for him so far.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Is it idiotic, or is TJD having a better freshman season than his buddy Keion? Congrats to Keion for making the tourney. But the original point was that UK was a fast track to the NBA. That isn't proving to be the case for him so far.
of course TJD is having a great season there’s nobody good enough to challenge him for his spot so he plays heavy minutes and gets good numbers. KB could very well be a Nick Richards type player or a PJ Washington multi year guys who developed into stars.

Not really, no. Name some other big name recruits we have truly had a chance at and missed that have went to NBA producing powerhouses. It's a very short list.
There’s a reason we don’t truly have a chance with elite recruits. Not sure you understand that you just validated my point.

I couldn't agree with this more. Does anyone think IU has a chance with a kid like Khristian Lander in the 2021 class? All opposing coaches have to do is point to Miller's failure to develop Rob Phinisee into a legitimate point guard. It's sad, really.

There’s a reason we don’t truly have a chance with elite recruits. Not sure you understand that you just validated my point.

Right. TJD isn't an elite recruit. We missed on Garcia to Marquette and Carton to OSU. If you're limiting your pool to the Zion's of this world, sure. Maybe we don't.

I didn't see TJD play in high school, so I only know what he has done at IU. Right now he is not an exclusive low post guy who can occupy people or carve out a position to receive the ball underneath a la Deron Davis. Part of that is maturity and weight and muscle. He looks like he could be a good high post player. He catches the ball well, seems to have good court vision, and passing skills. He doesn't appear to have an effective mid range jump shot that he could take from the high post and become a triple threat. Everything he seems to get is taking the ball into the lane, doing a spin move and trying to get the ball to the basket. He needs to expand his offensive game, or we need to find a better way to use his skills.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Right. TJD isn't an elite recruit. We missed on Garcia to Marquette and Carton to OSU. If you're limiting your pool to the Zion's of this world, sure. Maybe we don't.
You didn’t read the original post or, if you did, you didn’t understand it. Have a seat.

You didn’t read the original post or, if you did, you didn’t understand it. Have a seat.

You brought up Brooks and this years incoming class as an example of "it has already happened" saying IU has no shot at elite recruits. I named a few in the current class and incoming class that they either got, or had a shot at. Time will tell who they get going forward. Trust me man, it's an online basketball forum. Not that hard to understand.

Reactions: hondo314
I couldn't agree with this more. Does anyone think IU has a chance with a kid like Khristian Lander in the 2021 class? All opposing coaches have to do is point to Miller's failure to develop Rob Phinisee into a legitimate point guard. It's sad, really.
Until I am proven wrong, I am going to believe Rob is not completely healthy.

You brought up Brooks and this years incoming class as an example of "it has already happened" saying IU has no shot at elite recruits. I named a few in the current class and incoming class that they either got, or had a shot at. Time will tell who they get going forward. Trust me man, it's an online basketball forum. Not that hard to understand.
Yes, I brought up Brooks, just as I brought up Miller’s handling of Romeo and TJD. Not sure why you continue to not understand the larger point, but your posts make it clear you don’t. Again, not sure how this doesn’t resonate with you. And there are no elite recruits in the incoming class. That you believe otherwise says everything about your level of denial. Lowered expectations claims another.

Yes, I brought up Brooks, just as I brought up Miller’s handling of Romeo and TJD. Not sure why you continue to not understand the larger point, but your posts make it clear you don’t. Again, not sure how this doesn’t resonate with you. And there are no elite recruits in the incoming class. That you believe otherwise says everything about your level of denial. Lowered expectations claims another.

Haha I am not claiming they have an elite level recruit coming in. Not at all. I probably worded that poorly. By incoming class I mean nationwide, not specific to IU. He missed on a few guys, but a guy like Dawson Garcia picking Marquette over IU, #1 Baylor and Penny Hardaway doesn't necessarily indicate nobody will ever play at Indiana again. I still don't see how a recruit will look at how he handled Romeo, who was a lottery pick after 1 year at IU, and say I need to go somewhere else to get to the league. Especially when your first example is Keion Brooks who will not be playing in the NBA next year.

Last edited:
Haha I am not claiming they have an elite level recruit coming in. Not at all. I probably worded that poorly. By incoming class I mean nationwide, not specific to IU. He missed on a few guys, but a guy like Dawson Garcia picking Marquette over IU, #1 Baylor and Penny Hardaway doesn't necessarily indicate nobody will ever play at Indiana again. I still don't see how a recruit will look at how he handled Romeo, who was a lottery pick after 1 year at IU, and say I need to go somewhere else to get to the league. Especially when your first example is Keion Brooks who will not be playing in the NBA next year.
It’s the coaches who will plant those seeds with prospective recruits. How don’t you get this?

It’s the coaches who will plant those seeds with prospective recruits. How don’t you get this?

I do get it. They can say it all they want, but at the end of the day he got Romeo there in 1 year, so how valid is it?

I do get it. They can say it all they want, but at the end of the day he got Romeo there in 1 year, so how valid is it?
I think next year’s incoming class shows the validity of it. The rejection by Brooks shows it. The likely struggle to get any of the highly rated 2021 Indiana kids will likely show it. Kids want to be developed. Kids want to play for a winning program. Kids want to contend for conference championships. Kids want deep tournament runs. IU isn’t offering those things, and competing coaches will be pointing that out to any recruits where Indiana is competition for them. Seems simple unless the message is too hard to fathom.

Honestly, TJD has loafed all game and gotten beat in every way.... he has nothing to complain about today.

I agree. As consistent as he's been for a freshman, and I really do think he's been terrific, I thought this was his worst game I've seen. I'd not be surprised if he's coming down with something, but he was a step slow on his man, didn't score or rebound and was more than a step slow on help most of the game. Didn't look like his normal self.

Very telling. Archie must go if IU wants to seriously again.

Reactions: bailey777
If we brought in the right coach this spring but with archie no on all three top indiana players. Plus they know he is on borrowed time.

Romeo progressed about as much as he was going to given his wrist and the feelings of his dad. He achieved the goal he was after despite being a stretch from day one. TJD has the same potential but is clearly a year behind.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT