ADVERTISEMENT

If I were IU's next AD...

MikeHoncho69

Sophomore
Jan 15, 2018
...this would be my plan:

Prior to taking the job, I'd have a list put together of the coaches I'd reach out to in the event of needing to replace the incumbent coach. That list is as follows:

- Chris Beard, Texas Tech head coach
- Gregg Marshall, Wichita State head coach
- Bruce Pearl, Auburn head coach
- Dane Fife, Michigan State assistant coach

I'd begin discretely reaching out to the agents of the coaches on that list to gauge potential interest in the IU job. I'd wait until IU's inevitable first-round exit from the Big Ten Tournament to fire Archie simply because the optics of firing him mid-season wouldn't be ideal. I wouldn't want the situation to become a dumpster fire/clown show.

Meanwhile, the open job would hopefully be a bit overshadowed by the NCAA Tournament, allowing for work to be done quietly behind the scenes. In any interview with any potential coaching candidate, the topic of program culture would be, far and away, the single most important piece of the conversation. Hustle, heart, passion, want-to and desire would need to be core elements of the new culture. Anything less will not suffice.

I would make it clear that recruiting the state of Indiana is important to the fans, but it's not necessary to sign an Indiana high school prospect if he's not a good culture fit (i.e. no shoe guys).

Lastly, I'd reiterate the importance of balanced recruiting along with effective player development. Those are the key principles of building and sustaining a consistently successful program.

Prior to taking the job, I'd have a list put together of the coaches I'd reach out to in the event of needing to replace the incumbent coach. That list is as follows:

I'd begin discretely reaching out to the agents of the coaches on that list to gauge potential interest in the IU job. I'd wait until IU's inevitable first-round exit from the Big Ten Tournament to fire Archie simply because the optics of firing him mid-season wouldn't be ideal. I wouldn't want the situation to become a dumpster fire/clown show.

Meanwhile, the open job would hopefully be a bit overshadowed by the NCAA Tournament, allowing for work to be done quietly behind the scenes. In any interview with any potential coaching candidate, the topic of program culture would be, far and away, the single most important piece of the conversation. Hustle, heart, passion, want-to and desire would need to be core elements of the new culture. Anything less will not suffice.

I would make it clear that recruiting the state of Indiana is important to the fans, but it's not necessary to sign an Indiana high school prospect if he's not a good culture fit (i.e. no shoe guys).

Lastly, I'd reiterate the importance of balanced recruiting along with effective player development. Those are the key principles of building and sustaining a consistently successful program.

I'm pretty sure you have to have permission from the schools of the coaches that you want to contact, thus, not making your top secret mission not so top secret.

Then when this comes out that your going behind the back of the coach that you have under contract and haven't told him that he's a dead man walking, I'm sure all kinds of high profile coaches are gonna want to jump at the chance to work for a ad like you.

Yea, that makes all kind of sense.

My god people.

I'm pretty sure you have to have permission from the schools of the coaches that you want to contact, thus, not making your top secret mission not so top secret.

Then when this comes out that your going behind the back of the coach that you have under contract and haven't told him that he's a dead man walking, I'm sure all kinds of high profile coaches are gonna want to jump at the chance to work for a ad like you.

My god people.
No permission is required to make contact with other coaches or their representatives. That’s never been a rule in college sports. Otherwise, going around the current coach would make a bad situation worse, and no AD would do it.

My god people.
My god, dude. There are no rules preventing an athletic director from contacting the AGENT of any coach in the country.

Reactions: snarlcakes
I don’t understand the obsession with Dane Fife on this board.
Much like Alford,he wouldn’t get a mention if he had not played here.
He is 100% a Izzo and Mich St man now.
His association with Izzo alone is enough to stay away from him.
Bottom line is Fife is not an upgrade from Miller,we need to do better than him.

My god, dude. There are no rules preventing an athletic director from contacting the AGENT of any coach in the country.
There aren’t any rules regarding contacting a coach, either. Where did you guys get information that said otherwise?

all of this is moot for another 12 months.

And agreed on Fife. If CAM is ejected, this next hire has GOT to be a home run if IU ever wants to return to relevancy. Hiring an Asst Coach would be like...well...like giving the job to Mike Davis. I think we tried that already.

Reactions: IUgradman

And agreed on Fife. If CAM is ejected, this next hire has GOT to be a home run if IU ever wants to return to relevancy. Hiring an Asst Coach would be like...well...like giving the job to Mike Davis. I think we tried that already.
The Miller hire was not well thought out imo. Fred never wanted to fire crean but was told to do so and then had some dumb firm tell him archie is great and he hired him. You knew it was doomed if fred was involved. Fred has no idea how to evaluate or hire a new coach. Miller was about 5th on my list and to me a very underwhelming hire.

Id' take Chris Collins that team of his plays their ass off and if any team can make an excuse for a lack of talent it's Northwestern.

Good luck with that, this holier than thou crap has got to stop. Fire Archie and get a coach that can recruit and win with the best players, period.

(Bruce Pearl, or Chris Beard)

I'll tell you this -- if Scott Dolson is hired as the next AD, Archie will absolutely be here for the 2020-21 season. However, if the new AD is an outside hire with some testicular fortitude, he'll realize the immense potential of the basketball program and terminate Archie. That would require some donor/booster funding, but it is certainly possible.

Reactions: snarlcakes
I'll tell you this -- if Scott Dolson is hired as the next AD, Archie will absolutely be here for the 2020-21 season. However, if the new AD is an outside hire with some testicular fortitude, he'll realize the immense potential of the basketball program and terminate Archie. That would require some donor/booster funding, but it is certainly possible.

No he won't.

No AD is going to come in, fire Archie after only three years with still having to pay him 100% of his contact. I'm sorry but it's not gonna happen. We're not gonna get a coach to come in here after firing someone as respected as Archie, and Archie is respected in the coaching community, that everyone is pining for. We're not gonna get a Chris Beard type coach to up and leave there job just because we're Indiana, especially if we didn't even give our coach a full four years to get all his kids in place.

No matter how many people on this board want it to happen, Archie is coming back next year.

No he won't.

No AD is going to come in, fire Archie after only three years with still having to pay him 100% of his contact. I'm sorry but it's not gonna happen. We're not gonna get a coach to come in here after firing someone as respected as Archie, and Archie is respected in the coaching community, that everyone is pining for. We're not gonna get a Chris Beard type coach to up and leave there job just because we're Indiana, especially if we didn't even give our coach a full four years to get all his kids in place.

No matter how many people on this board want it to happen, Archie is coming back next year.
Yeah whooo with recruiting dead in the water we can set the program back ever years further. The archie hire will end up costing us another decade of time. Boy the offseason excitement for next year will be through the roof.

If Dolson is hired as Fred’s replacement, we basically just hired Fred 2.0 to replace Fred 1.0.

If folks want a continuation of Fred, they will get that in Dolson.

The Miller hire was not well thought out imo. Fred never wanted to fire crean but was told to do so and then had some dumb firm tell him archie is great and he hired him. You knew it was doomed if fred was involved. Fred has no idea how to evaluate or hire a new coach. Miller was about 5th on my list and to me a very underwhelming hire.

I think you're right, and many of us have given Fred too much of a pass on this, because most of us thought it was a good hire at the time.

Here's the thing.........Fred had the opportunity to spend hours of time with Archie and ask him any and all questions that came into his brain. We didn't have that opportunity.

Archie's introduction----did not come across as completely confident from the word go. Did Fred have to talk him into the job? Did Fred tell him what a clusterf*** the roster was, or was that a surprise? Did Fred have second thoughts after talking to Archie, but feel like there were no other options? We'll never know for sure because nobody's talking.............

No he won't.

You aren’t an Indiana fan! Of course you think he’ll be back! You want him back!

If Dolson is hired as Fred’s replacement, we basically just hired Fred 2.0 to replace Fred 1.0.

If folks want a continuation of Fred, they will get that in Dolson.
And to boot they are spending thousands on a "search committee" to find new AD if they hire Dolson what a waste of cash...……….

And to boot they are spending thousands on a "search committee" to find new AD if they hire Dolson what a waste of cash...……….
They aren’t spending thousands on a search committee. They are, however, spending money on a search firm, but the firm doesn’t make hiring decisions.

You aren’t an Indiana fan! Of course you think he’ll be back! You want him back!

LOL.

My god, because I can think like a logical person and say hey, Miller isn't even through his third year yet, the tournament hasn't been announced, a new AD hasn't been announced, that means I'm not a Indiana fan? GTFO and stop posting like a like my six year old because I told her she couldn't have any oreos. People don't realize that if we fire Miller, he gets his contract GUARANTEED and then we still have to pay the incoming coach whatever ungodly salary that new coach would demand to take over this "dumpster fire" of a program as I've seen it described would take. Do you honestly think that is all going to happen?

Just because I think it's beyond dumb to fire a coach not even three years into his tenure does not make me a bad fan. I am not a sheep and follow the pack mentality. And there are plenty of people that agree with my point.

LOL.

My god, because I can think like a logical person and say hey, Miller isn't even through his third year yet, the tournament hasn't been announced, a new AD hasn't been announced, that means I'm not a Indiana fan? GTFO and stop posting like a like my six year old because I told her she couldn't have any oreos. People don't realize that if we fire Miller, he gets his contract GUARANTEED and then we still have to pay the incoming coach whatever ungodly salary that new coach would demand to take over this "dumpster fire" of a program as I've seen it described would take. Do you honestly think that is all going to happen?

Just because I think it's beyond dumb to fire a coach not even three years into his tenure does not make me a bad fan. I am not a sheep and follow the pack mentality. And there are plenty of people that agree with my point.
See you next year I'll remember

Reactions: Radio Zero

We won't wait for the next AD to replace a coach. Part of the interview would include, " can you work with Brad Stevens (for example)?". If yes, you continue the interview.

I have been told if a change is needed, people will be removed. I would assume hiring decisions will be made until Glass leaves. A consulting firm will search for the next coach and the Trustees will decide at the earliest possible time. I don't want a new AD having too much influence on the next coach. Input from past players should be considered.

Yea IU isn't going to take the recommendation of the research committee ok whatever.
You claimed they were paid, which isn’t true. As far as taking their recommendation, I doubt you understand what their true function is in a search.

Oklahoma City has one more year on Billy Donovan's contract. There is hot seat trouble for the coach whose team is in 6th place in the Eastern .....and talk around that franchise is they are looking for a different future. Several of his assistants bailed recently. I also have no delusions that IU would remotely consider pursuing him. IU is fine with the status quo. I was on the CBD bandwagon back when.....and learned my lesson about wishful thinking.

I do however, believe that several top tier programs will pursue him....starting with UNC, whose coach is very, very tired. Calipari is again sniffing the NBA...yet, yes could be a $$ ploy. And another NBA franchise could court Billy D, and likely would. Just ironic that a coach of that calibur may be positioned to return the the college ranks next season....and programs of his choosing will be lining up to take a crack at him....even those who don't appear today to be looking for a coach.

LOL.

The end of the Maryland game and these last three games have been bad. They haven't looked like Archie teams that I watched and liked. Bad shooting is a big part of it but they're not playing with the fire they should be playing. If Archie can't turn it around ASAP I could be on the edge of the camp of moving on but not in it. That's because he's not going to be fired next year irregardless of what I think of him. He's going to be our coach and I want like hell for IU to be good soon. He'll either get it done or he won't but whining like a baby about this isn't in my DNA. Some of us are mature adults and not emotional children.

Reactions: Baller23Boogie
The end of the Maryland game and these last three games have been bad. They haven't looked like Archie teams that I watched and liked. Bad shooting is a big part of it but they're not playing with the fire they should be playing. If Archie can't turn it around ASAP I could be on the edge of the camp of moving on but not in it. That's because he's not going to be fired next year irregardless of what I think of him. He's going to be our coach and I want like hell for IU to be good soon. He'll either get it done or he won't but whining like a baby about this isn't in my DNA. Some of us are mature adults and not emotional children.
I was a mature adult when RMK was fired....and have been getting more mature as the years go by.

Reactions: MrBing
Oklahoma City has one more year on Billy Donovan's contract. There is hot seat trouble for the coach whose team is in 6th place in the Eastern .....and talk around that franchise is they are looking for a different future. Several of his assistants bailed recently. I also have no delusions that IU would remotely consider pursuing him. IU is fine with the status quo. I was on the CBD bandwagon back when.....and learned my lesson about wishful thinking.

I do however, believe that several top tier programs will pursue him....starting with UNC, whose coach is very, very tired. Calipari is again sniffing the NBA...yet, yes could be a $$ ploy. And another NBA franchise could court Billy D, and likely would. Just ironic that a coach of that calibur may be positioned to return the the college ranks next season....and programs of his choosing will be lining up to take a crack at him....even those who don't appear today to be looking for a coach.

OKC is actually doing pretty good, still competitive given they lost their two stars and have a boatload of draft picks to look forward to. I would think that'd be a reason for Donovan to stay on unless he's just not happy there.

In this order. If we cant get any of them , hire someone who will at least make them hustle and be disciplined. If we’re going to lose , it needs to be bc of lack of talent , not lack of hustle or heart.
Stevens
Donovan
Beard
Beiluien
Pearl
Marshall

In this order. If we cant get any of them , hire someone who will at least make them hustle and be disciplined. If we’re going to lose , it needs to be bc of lack of talent , not lack of hustle or heart.
Stevens
Donovan
Beard
Beiluien
Pearl
Marshall
There are a lot of good coaches out there the problem is ya'll get hung up with what they've done in the NCAA, how has that worked out for us?? You need an AD that can evaluate good coaching not based on results but based on how his teams play. There is a difference, ie I think Chris Collins can really coach and he gets the most from his players. Stop getting the flavor of the month or what the media say is the "slam dunk hire" give me a break.

OKC is actually doing pretty good, still competitive given they lost their two stars and have a boatload of draft picks to look forward to. I would think that'd be a reason for Donovan to stay on unless he's just not happy there.

Paul, SGA, and Gallo are nothing to sneeze at. It's not like all they got was draft picks and 1st year players. Not surprised they are a solid team. Unless they draw Houston in Round 1 though they are probably toast, IMO.

I could see Donovan leaving. With all the draft picks they are likely headed for a complete overhaul. Gallo will be a FA. They have been shopping CP3 and Adams. Eventually they probably find takers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT