ADVERTISEMENT

IF Brad Stevens comes to IU....

Didn’t Stevens definitively and clearly state 4 years ago that he would not be a candidate for the job? He certainly hasn’t done that yet.
It was an immediate hard no. He was 4 years in the Celtics job. He was not even entertained. This is different.

Chris on Btown Banners said that Zeke and Dolson are having/had an in person meeting with Stevens. Offering possibly the largest contract in history. The contract part is more speculation. The meeting is pretty much 100%. Also (supposedly) no other candidates are being offered until a hard no from Stevens. Said to be up to a 50/50 chance he will be our next coach. DO NOT shoot the messenger! This is coming from a very respected forum member.
I hope it is Brad Stevens. I think IU already knew who they were hiring before they fired Archie. These donors are big money business people that are engaged in IU BB. They are also control freaks. You don't call them and ask for tens of millions of dollars without a plan. There first question back to Dolson was, who are you going to hire. If he says, we are going to talk to x,y, and z, I don't think he gets the buyout money and transition money commitment. If Dolson says, we have reached out to BS - or whomever - and he is on board as long as we give him X # years at X $ per year plus X $ for his staff. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a discussion with Brad's wife - his agent - with key donors in the room via zoom etc and they said, we want Brad back in Indiana, What will it take. She would have to check with him and get back. What if he said 10 years $100MM plus incentives and $3MM a year for his staff? (that would exceed all existing CBB coaching contracts. Could they get that large of a commitment from the key donors? Everyone in that room has signed a NDA which helps prevent leaks but at some point regardless of who the hire is, it will leak out. Someone will see or hear something. I think (hope) IU announces Brad Stevens at an 11am press conference in Assembly Hall on Friday right as the tournament tips. Every games the announcers will be talking about the hire for the entire weekend. That gives you the maximum exposure to promote the program and let everyone know IU is committed to excellence.

I heard this from a friend as well and that was my reaction. I like involving former players, but Zeke has run off at the mouth in the past. Isn't Quinn on the BOT? Would seem a more logical choice.
I can’t imagine there isn’t a reasonable link that makes Zeke valuable here. Only reason this would be the case. Who knows what the real story is. I hope all this smoke isn’t just fairy dust, but it is fun to speculate. I don’t have my hopes too high, but there seems to be support that we are at least making our best push. That’s all we could ask of Dolson.

I hope it is Brad Stevens. I think IU already knew who they were hiring before they fired Archie. These donors are big money business people that are engaged in IU BB. They are also control freaks. You don't call them and ask for tens of millions of dollars without a plan. There first question back to Dolson was, who are you going to hire. If he says, we are going to talk to x,y, and z, I don't think he gets the buyout money and transition money commitment. If Dolson says, we have reached out to BS - or whomever - and he is on board as long as we give him X # years at X $ per year plus X $ for his staff. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a discussion with Brad's wife - his agent - with key donors in the room via zoom etc and they said, we want Brad back in Indiana, What will it take. She would have to check with him and get back. What if he said 10 years $100MM plus incentives and $3MM a year for his staff? (that would exceed all existing CBB coaching contracts. Could they get that large of a commitment from the key donors? Everyone in that room has signed a NDA which helps prevent leaks but at some point regardless of who the hire is, it will leak out. Someone will see or hear something. I think (hope) IU announces Brad Stevens at an 11am press conference in Assembly Hall on Friday right as the tournament tips. Every games the announcers will be talking about the hire for the entire weekend. That gives you the maximum exposure to promote the program and let everyone know IU is committed to excellence.
Rumor is he offered 8 million a year. No other details. He still didn’t say no. This may happen but not holding my breath.

Reactions: TMB333
I would expect improvements across the board immediately, including, but not limited to:

- Roster construction
- game strategy and fundamentals
- communication and execution
- Player confidence
- fanbase interaction
- relationships with HS and AAU programs across Indiana and elsewhere.

His NBA experience will help immensely when battling for recruits against Duke, UNC, UK, etc.

I would expect an uptick in wins in year 1, but he isn't a miracle worker. The program will be in the top third by year 2 and hopefully humming along.

About the bolded part: I would prefer the next coach to follow the Villanova model of targeting 4-stars who will stay at least 2-3 years with an occasional 5 star sprinkled in. Seems more viable for conference and tourney championships contending.

Anything less than a final four in the first 5 year's.
Would disappoint me..
If you got all the mojo fans think you do ..
Prove it !!

Not if everyone returns (minus Durham, of course).
Well, not everyone is returning, but it’s still bottom half even if they were coming back. The results don’t lie. We don’t have the players. After TJD, there’s a big drop. After Thompson and Franklin, there’s another big one. At that point, we need to be airlifted out of the hole.

Well, not everyone is returning, but it’s still bottom half even if they were coming back. The results don’t lie. We don’t have the players. After TJD, there’s a big drop. After Thompson and Franklin, there’s another big one. At that point, we need to be airlifted out of the hole.

They won’t be playing against the same level of competition within the conference next year, and it is reasonable to assume that most of the players will improve next year, no matter who the coach is. The wild card here is how much time it would take for the team to get acclimated to the new coach’s system. With regard to TJD, there would be a big drop after him if you put him on any other B1G team, with the possible exceptions of Mich., OSU (if Liddell stays), and maybe MSU (if Henry stays, which he should).

They won’t be playing against the same level of competition within the conference next year, and it is reasonable to assume that most of the players will improve next year, no matter who the coach is. The wild card here is how much time it would take for the team to get acclimated to the new coach’s system.
They may improve, but transitions usually take some time, and we don’t have many Big 10 level players.

Chris on Btown Banners said that Zeke and Dolson are having/had an in person meeting with Stevens. Offering possibly the largest contract in history. The contract part is more speculation. The meeting is pretty much 100%. Also (supposedly) no other candidates are being offered until a hard no from Stevens. Said to be up to a 50/50 chance he will be our next coach. DO NOT shoot the messenger! This is coming from a very respected forum member.
Interesting. Never heard of Btown Banners. Thanks for posting. Looks like a solid site with lots of good discussion. Not to get too far off track but do you know if unclemark or bulkvanderhuge are over there? Thanks.

They may improve, but transitions usually take some time, and we don’t have many Big 10 level players.

Well, we disagree on that.

TJD
Race
Armaan
Hunter
Lander
Holloway
Brunk
RP

are all B1G caliber, with the jury still being out on Leal and Galloway. And this doesn’t yet include Duncomb.

Reactions: Beorik
Well, we disagree on that.

TJD
Race
Armaan
Hunter
Lander
Holloway
Brunk
RP

are all B1G caliber, with the jury still being out on Leal and Galloway. And this doesn’t yet include Holcomb.
But it’s below .500 Big 10 caliber talent, at least in the aggregate, and I’m not confident Duncomb changes that measurably. JMO.

This is simple. Normally, it’s hard to say no to double your current salary. I’m sure It has happened, but very very rare on this scale at least.

The conditional aspects of being close to home, family, life long IU admiration etc. will make his decision somewhat emotionalin context.

He might turn us down flatly. Maybe Boston will counter offer?

All this talk about “he would never” blah blah blah. Total BS. Show him the money.

From my friend who is somewhat connected, Dolson had confirmation weeks ago through back channels that there would be mutual interest. Same with Beard and Beilein. Drew is not even being considered.

NBA contracts are structured different than your typical college contract. The exit strategy will take lawyers and accountants some time to work it out. I’m guessing we will here as soon as those details are finalized. This is by far the biggest obstacle to work out. Walking away from contracts like this and from organizations like this, is never a good idea. Ainge needs to agree to some type of settlement and/or one of our boosters is gonna have to pony up way more than $3m or $4m for the buyout. The money is there but it’s complicated.

The fall back is Beilein. I’m told he’s in our back pocket but some are against this without a clear succession plan.
At least we have options. I’m very optimistic right now about Stevens from what I’m hearing. It could all fall apart for a few very big reasons, but Dolson is making a play.

This is simple. Normally, it’s hard to say no to double your current salary. I’m sure It has happened, but very very rare on this scale at least.

The conditional aspects of being close to home, family, life long IU admiration etc. will make his decision somewhat emotionalin context.

He might turn us down flatly. Maybe Boston will counter offer?

All this talk about “he would never” blah blah blah. Total BS. Show him the money.

From my friend who is somewhat connected, Dolson had confirmation weeks ago through back channels that there would be mutual interest. Same with Beard and Beilein. Drew is not even being considered.

NBA contracts are structured different than your typical college contract. The exit strategy will take lawyers and accountants some time to work it out. I’m guessing we will here as soon as those details are finalized. This is by far the biggest obstacle to work out. Walking away from contracts like this and from organizations like this, is never a good idea. Ainge needs to agree to some type of settlement and/or one of our boosters is gonna have to pony up way more than $3m or $4m for the buyout. The money is there but it’s complicated.

The fall back is Beilein. I’m told he’s in our back pocket but some are against this without a clear succession plan.
At least we have options. I’m very optimistic right now about Stevens from what I’m hearing. It could all fall apart for a few very big reasons, but Dolson is making a play.
This is exactly what I’ve heard. People forget about Drew’s antics with AHOPE and hanner. They also don’t realize how much the high school and AAU coaches in Indiana won’t even talk to him. He would be a disaster.

Shots fired. How long til they see this?
it appears to be an excellent site with lots of thoughtful and lively discussion. i'm reading posts by so many connected and forward thinking people, but i can't get a clear read on who exactly is over there

After the last 25 years, I don't think so. Expectations could not, nor would not exceed RMKs. No one is going to expect higher than UK or any other elite school, no way. I think fans would be tickled to be back as a top conf school, making the tourney almost every year and going farther every couple with a deeper run thrown in. You know, back to being Indiana.
sounds like purdue

it appears to be an excellent site with lots of thoughtful and lively discussion. i'm reading posts by so many connected and forward thinking people, but i can't get a clear read on who exactly is over there
I see some names I recognize. I wonder how much crossover there is between the two sites. They have an Off topic as well. We should ruin it.

I see some names I recognize. I wonder how much crossover there is between the two sites. They have an Off topic as well. We should ruin it.
Right. Immediately get into real bad fights that go for pages!. Then post about soccer.
Their free board has all kinds of people claiming inside scoop on everything. I like that.

Last edited:
sounds like purdue
Didn't they finish 10th last year? The type of program I'm envisioning should only see that once every 20 years if ever, and I don't think Brad would suffer that. But, yeah, the overall results Purdue has had for the last 5 years are pretty damn good. It's not that hard to understand, I want IU to be to the B10 what UNC/Duke/UVA are to the ACC, KS is to the Big 12 and UK to the SEC. I don't think PU was quite there in the last 5, but pretty damn close and miles ahead of us. We should almost always see top 4 finishes, rarely fall below 500 in conference, make the tourney almost every year, play into the 2nd weekend most years and make a deeper run every few. The only thing PU hasn't done in recent years I'd want is make a F4, but they came within a whisker of that, still with what I thought was not a supremely talented team. Recruiting is really about the only arrow I can fling at MP.

So, you're willing to bet Cav right now that BS will not be our next coach? With odds, I'd say you should put up a $1000 and him $200? You in?

And, 90% of the fanbase may not want Alford, but many of the 10% who do still hold sway. It's what I was worried about immediately when I heard boosters were footing some of the bill.

@Cavanagh.13 This you?

That is someone talking about me yes, I did say he could be our coach, and tried to dream it into existence. Got me. I offered to bet, with current odds he would be our coach, no1 would take it, including you.
Umm, read this thread again and tell me I didn't take that bet?

Who is Cav? Would I place a bet with 1:5 odds that Brad Stevens will not be the coach? ABSOLUTELY!
@Cavanagh.13 This STILL you? You can pay that $200 using Venmo, Paypal....etc. OR, you can just stop telling people how accurate you are. ha

@Cavanagh.13 This STILL you? You can pay that $200 using Venmo, Paypal....etc. OR, you can just stop telling people how accurate you are. ha

I mean if I can make up odds and agree to bets with people that are not in the conversation I’m gonna be a rich man. The odds were 25-1 not 5-1. Some Highschool in Sweden set a +250 line on a random site after he said no chance he was taking the job. Actually a good way to steal peoples money, smart kid.

Only if you took the bet, which you failed to do. Is it hard for you to keep track of all the posters you shadow?
Yet another reason you can’t be taken seriously. Did you really think Stevens was coming to IU? Please tell me you have a little more on the ball than that.

I’m surprised he hasn’t been banned yet since he is an obvious troll. They probably just know he would create a new username like he has many times in the past.
So, you really thought Stevens was coming to IU? I know you’re not a fan, but even you should’ve been wiser. Courty was fooled, too. Lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT