ADVERTISEMENT

IF Brad Stevens comes to IU....

H00SIER-Cat

Recruit
Dec 6, 2016
What would be the realistic expectations. Some seem to think he is hands down the next John Wooden. I've also seen it pointed out that he benefitted from a weaker conference and some players that were surprisingly much than expected. Lightning in a bottle if you will.
Don't get me wrong he would be a great hire for anyone, but the legend of Brad Stevens may be a unicorn.

What would be the realistic expectations. Some seem to think he is hands down the next John Wooden. I've also seen it pointed out that he benefitted from a weaker conference and some players that were surprisingly much than expected. Lightning in a bottle if you will.
Don't get me wrong he would be a great hire for anyone, but the legend of Brad Stevens may be a unicorn.
As far as year 1, it's very tough to say until we see who is coming back and if he can get any transfers. I would expect that we would be competing for B1G championships and a lock for the tourney every year by year 4. After that, we really should have the same expectations in the Knight years.

If you watched BS's Butler team plow through the NCAAs while knocking off one top seed after another...and did it twice....that is no unicorn.

I would expect improvements across the board immediately, including, but not limited to:

- Roster construction
- game strategy and fundamentals
- communication and execution
- Player confidence
- fanbase interaction
- relationships with HS and AAU programs across Indiana and elsewhere.

His NBA experience will help immensely when battling for recruits against Duke, UNC, UK, etc.

I would expect an uptick in wins in year 1, but he isn't a miracle worker. The program will be in the top third by year 2 and hopefully humming along.

This is more than a long shot, this is a pipe dream. Anything is always possible but realistically speaking, with this kind of talk you are only setting yourself up for severe disappointment even pretending this is genuinely remotely possible.

Reactions: IUAPEX
I think he's the real deal. But he's not a magician. Give him two or three years to get it going and I think we could be like MSU has been.

But it's still a long shot that he actually comes here. It's fun to contemplate though.
I give us a 15% chance of landing Stevens. If we don't give him a Godfather offer, you gotta think someone else eventually will (Duke after K retires). How bad would that sting?

Chris on Btown Banners said that Zeke and Dolson are having/had an in person meeting with Stevens. Offering possibly the largest contract in history. The contract part is more speculation. The meeting is pretty much 100%. Also (supposedly) no other candidates are being offered until a hard no from Stevens. Said to be up to a 50/50 chance he will be our next coach. DO NOT shoot the messenger! This is coming from a very respected forum member.

Last edited:
Chris on Btown Banners said that Zeke and Dolson are having/had an in person meeting. Offering possibly the largest contract in history. The contract part is more speculation. The meeting is pretty much 100%. Also (supposedly) no other candidates are being offered until a hard no from Stevens. Said to be up to a 50/50 chance he will be our next coach. DO NOT shoot the messenger! This is coming from a very respected forum member.
Isiah Thomas is helping broker the deal?

Well, you're going to make him one of the highest paid coaches in college bball, so while I'd not want to establish a minimum first year or two threshold, but to me an NCAA appearance should happen in year 2 or 3 at the worst, and making it almost every year therafter. A bigger thing to me is getting back to the top of the conference. Again, I don't want to say we have to win a championship by year X, but we should be in the top 3-4 in the 3-4 year time period and become a fixture there, as the top programs in any conference do. Oh yeah, and beat F'ing Purdue! But beat them more often than they beat us for sure. Finally, you're going to have to make a deep run in the tourney (E8 or better) every few years and make it to the second weekend about every other year. Is that specific enough? Overly optimisitic? I don't think so if you are making him one of the highest paid coaches in the game.

Reactions: Tony Warwick
The team, assuming key players return, has talent. This would not be like when Crean took over, and we had walkons starting.

Chris on Btown Banners said that Zeke and Dolson are having/had an in person meeting. Offering possibly the largest contract in history. The contract part is more speculation. The meeting is pretty much 100%. Also (supposedly) no other candidates are being offered until a hard no from Stevens. Said to be up to a 50/50 chance he will be our next coach. DO NOT shoot the messenger! This is coming from a very respected forum member.
Who Chris007. Yea we can all go read that no way is Isiah Thomas the next coach, good lord.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
I heard this from a friend as well and that was my reaction. I like involving former players, but Zeke has run off at the mouth in the past. Isn't Quinn on the BOT? Would seem a more logical choice.
Yeah, but if Zeke's role is a mediator, Quinn being on the BOT might be off putting to Stevens representation ... OK let's let IU decide your salary

Throw “realistic expectations” out the window!!!

“IF” Stevens became IU coach, fans will expect FF within 2 years. They will expect a Natty within 4 years, and a solid run at a Natty every 2 years.

FUGGEDDABOUT realistic expectations. He will be expected to be “the best there ever was or will be”.

72-75 wins through 3 years.

Yeah, but if Zeke's role is a mediator, Quinn being on the BOT might be off putting to Stevens representation ... OK let's let IU decide your salary
Zeke's just been guilty of running off at the mouth before, so makes me a little more nervous, but great rep for visibility and the biggest "wow" factor from IU players, not that he'd be wowed at this point. Think I'd prefer to think of him as an ambassador than mediator.

“IF” Stevens became IU coach, fans will expect FF within 2 years. They will expect a Natty within 4 years, and a solid run at a Natty every 2 years.

FUGGEDDABOUT realistic expectations. He will be expected to be “the best there ever was or will be”.

Exactly my point

Reactions: JBT Assoc

After the last 25 years, I don't think so. Expectations could not, nor would not exceed RMKs. No one is going to expect higher than UK or any other elite school, no way. I think fans would be tickled to be back as a top conf school, making the tourney almost every year and going farther every couple with a deeper run thrown in. You know, back to being Indiana.

Last edited:

Nah, he could be Beilein here and he’d get a statue. 20 years is a long drive inside a car.

I give our fanbase credit for consistency but its bordering on insanity. You look like a crazed person who has a crush and won't take a polite "no thank you" as an obvious signal to walk away.

If Brad had said, "I'm just really not interested in the job", I think our fanbase would say, "He only said he's REALLY not interested and not, he's DEFINITELY not interested. So that means there's still a chance."

I want him as the coach much as the next guy but how do we continue to put ourselves in this make believe land every time we are looking for a coach?

I give our fanbase credit for consistency but its bordering on insanity. You look like a crazed person who has a crush and won't take a polite "no thank you" as an obvious signal to walk away.

If Brad had said, "I'm just really not interested in the job", I think our fanbase would say, "He only said he's REALLY not interested and not, he's DEFINITELY not interested. So that means there's still a chance."

I want him as the coach much as the next guy but how do we continue to put ourselves in this make believe land every time we are looking for a coach?
I can't say that he is or he isn't, but Dolson can. There's smoke that he met with Stevens today, and it may be coming from the same source, but I heard the same thing from a friend about 30 minutes before I saw it on here. Exact same thing: Dolson and I Thomas were meeting with BS today. He may not be our coach, but if they're meeting with him, he's not said to the right people he's not interested. And I've heard the same or worse from many coaches who ended up where they said they wouldn't publicly beforehand. If he isn't interested, he knows what to say and to whom, to insure he's not bothered by it.

Alford said it, and no one's talking about him on here anymore that I see. People act like IU fans are crazy and I'd say I understand why with the interest that's still shown in this program after the last 20 years, but I'll take that over the alternative. There's been a lot wrong with our program over the last 20 years obviously, fan support ain't one, imo.

Reactions: IUbball_lifer
I can't say that he is or he isn't, but Dolson can. There's smoke that he met with Stevens today, and it may be coming from the same source, but I heard the same thing from a friend about 30 minutes before I saw it on here. Exact same thing: Dolson and I Thomas were meeting with BS today. He may not be our coach, but if they're meeting with him, he's not said to the right people he's not interested. And I've heard the same or worse from many coaches who ended up where they said they wouldn't publicly beforehand. If he isn't interested, he knows what to say and to whom, to insure he's not bothered by it.
Didn’t Stevens definitively and clearly state 4 years ago that he would not be a candidate for the job? He certainly hasn’t done that yet.

Alford said it, and no one's talking about him on here anymore that I see. People act like IU fans are crazy and I'd say I understand why with the interest that's still shown in this program after the last 20 years, but I'll take that over the alternative. There's been a lot wrong with our program over the last 20 years obviously, fan support ain't one, imo.

To be fair, 90% of the fanbase doesn't want Alford anywhere close to the coach. So its easy to drop candidates people don't want. Its the Donovan's and Steven's talk that deserves a thread or two but we should focus on more realistic options.

To be fair, 90% of the fanbase doesn't want Alford anywhere close to the coach. So its easy to drop candidates people don't want. Its the Donovan's and Steven's talk that deserves a thread or two but we should focus on more realistic options.
So, you're willing to bet Cav right now that BS will not be our next coach? With odds, I'd say you should put up a $1000 and him $200? You in?

And, 90% of the fanbase may not want Alford, but many of the 10% who do still hold sway. It's what I was worried about immediately when I heard boosters were footing some of the bill.

Weaker conference but back to back championship games. You don’t get there by beating cupcakes.

Reactions: Crayfish57
So, you're willing to bet Cav right now that BS will not be our next coach? With odds, I'd say you should put up a $1000 and him $200? You in?

And, 90% of the fanbase may not want Alford, but many of the 10% who do still hold sway. It's what I was worried about immediately when I heard boosters were footing some of the bill.

Who is Cav? Would I place a bet with 1:5 odds that Brad Stevens will not be the coach? ABSOLUTELY!

ADVERTISEMENT