ADVERTISEMENT

Ideas for improving the program

kobis18

Benchwarmer
Oct 26, 2018
We talk a lot about game strategy, coaching changes, recruits to go after, etc, but I was wondering what are some of the ideas you all have to improve the program that are not necessarily football related. I don't care how out of the box it is, I just want to hear our thoughts on what you think could make the program more unique, increase ticket sales, help recruiting, etc.

For example, one idea I have is that I'd love to see us have a concert every year on the field after an early season night game that is a likely win. For this game, I would sell a ticket bundle that gave access to the concert where students would get priority access. Ideally, the tickets sold to the concert would come close to or completely pay off the cost of the concert. My ideal artist would be somebody of a Post Malone type level where they are very well known and popular, but not unbelievably expensive to book. For the student section tickets for this, I would require that to attend the concert you must be in the stadium by kick off as well. By doing this, it would help promote the games to students who would not usually attend.

Additionally, I would make this a huge recruiting weekend where ideally the recruits could attend the concert after the game with some of the players on the team. I think this could be huge recruiting wise. And my last two things for this would be that I would do would to make sure Tom Allen had something pre-planned on stage with the artist during the concert, and I would make sure to get the Marching Hundred playing up on stage with the artist at some point. I think this could be a really special tradition if done right.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Hopefully Delaney and his henchmen decide to abandon the current divisions and figure out a Big 12 way of doing things. This current setup kills any real momentum this program might put together.

That's the best path for improving the Indiana football program.

Hopefully Delaney and his henchmen decide to abandon the current divisions and figure out a Big 12 way of doing things. This current setup kills any real momentum this program might put together.

Since both the golden geese (the o$u & mi) missed the playoffs (again) Delaney said that they were going to take a look at an overall best record matchup vs division winners (wouldn't want any of the little guys getting up off the mat and flattening one of the golden ones)...

Gotta love the guy (if you're one of the Big2)...DWS

Reactions: vesuvius13 and td75
We talk a lot about game strategy, coaching changes, recruits to go after, etc, but I was wondering what are some of the ideas you all have to improve the program that are not necessarily football related. I don't care how out of the box it is, I just want to hear our thoughts on what you think could make the program more unique, increase ticket sales, help recruiting, etc.

For example, one idea I have is that I'd love to see us have a concert every year on the field after an early season night game that is a likely win. For this game, I would sell a ticket bundle that gave access to the concert where students would get priority access. Ideally, the tickets sold to the concert would come close to or completely pay off the cost of the concert. My ideal artist would be somebody of a Post Malone type level where they are very well known and popular, but not unbelievably expensive to book. For the student section tickets for this, I would require that to attend the concert you must be in the stadium by kick off as well. By doing this, it would help promote the games to students who would not usually attend.

Additionally, I would make this a huge recruiting weekend where ideally the recruits could attend the concert after the game with some of the players on the team. I think this could be huge recruiting wise. And my last two things for this would be that I would do would to make sure Tom Allen had something pre-planned on stage with the artist during the concert, and I would make sure to get the Marching Hundred playing up on stage with the artist at some point. I think this could be a really special tradition if done right.
There are two main items that would boost attendance more than anything- having an intelligent, responsive ticket pricing strategy and winning. Our game day management sucks in almost every aspect but if people could see a winning football team at a reasonable price, nothing else would matter.
There are plenty of ways improvement of our management of game day could show that we’re serious about building a winning football program but they probably require another thread and are really tangential to the core issues of ticket prices and winning.

No changes to the scheduling format would be intended to help Indiana or would even accidentally help Indiana. It’s a pipe dream to think they would.

There are two main items that would boost attendance more than anything- having an intelligent, responsive ticket pricing strategy and winning. Our game day management sucks in almost every aspect but if people could see a winning a football team at a reasonable price, nothing else would matter.
There are plenty of ways improvement of our management of game day could show that we’re serious about building a winning football program but they probably require another thread and are really tangential to the core issues of ticket prices and winning.

I've never understood why they couldn't make tiered ticket pricing work. Those are all assigned numbered seats so it wouldn't be that difficult to make the area boundaries clear.

The easy way to figure out where the cut offs should be is just take a look at some recent overview photos (during the 2nd quarter:() and figure out what seats are open. Usually, that's the corners and the endzone.

Don't discount the Opposition section at all and discount the rest by 3/4, or more...

Fill the place. Make it Auzten East (Oregons stadium)... Make it an ultra loud, tough place for the other guys to play in...

I've never understood why they couldn't make tiered ticket pricing work. Those are all assigned numbered seats so it wouldn't be that difficult to make the area boundaries clear.

The easy way to figure out where the cut offs should be is just take a look at some recent overview photos (during the 2nd quarter:() and figure out what seats are open. Usually, that's the corners and the endzone.

Don't discount the Opposition section at all and discount the rest by 3/4, or more...

Fill the place. Make it Auzten East (Oregons stadium)... Make it an ultra loud, tough place for the other guys to play in...
That’s one of my criticisms of Glass. He wants to post tickets at full price and give last minute discounts instead of creating tiered pricing like every other college and pro sports franchise.

That’s one of my criticisms of Glass. He wants to post tickets at full price and give last minute discounts instead of creating tiered pricing like every other college and pro sports franchise.

Seems like a common sense solution... I suppose that Capital Improvements Board that Fred used to hob nob with was a government agency. Looks like the government "we shall use no common sense" rule rubbed off on him a bit... :rolleyes:

Reactions: vesuvius13

I'd be supportive of season ticket-based alcohol sales. Only season ticket holders and their guests are able to purchase alcohol.

Some things that should be obvious, but apparently not:
-Make WiFi available to all
-Post Big Ten & top 25 scores regularly throughout the game.
-Display accurate game stats during time outs or reviews
-Fix the video board so that 30% of the space is not advertising
-Broadcast the audio from Fish under the stands so people can hear it
-Install 60” (or larger) TVs at concession stands and around the under stands areas. (I have a bigger TV in my kitchen than what is used in MS.)
-Intellegent alcohol sales
-Build and open full service Varsity Shop type stores on both East & West side.
-Price tickets like a program that has 30,000 - 40,000 people at games and an inventory of 15,000 unsold tickets.
-More help at security checks
-Improve traffic plan, post signs and follow the same plan every game.
-Post clear bag policy signs on roads approaching MS and in remote lots.
-Improve traffic control / lane control out of parking lots
-Establish standards for tailgaters that do not take up multiple spots or block traffic.
-Get rid of much of the neon advertising in the stadium and sell tickets instead to earn that revenue.
-For God’s sake, don’t run out of popcorn at halftime. (Or other concessions like cold bottled water on hot days)

I have been a few other places that have most of these things figured out.

I'd be supportive of season ticket-based alcohol sales. Only season ticket holders and their guests are able to purchase alcohol.

In years past I was adamantly against it but given the realities (those who are on a mission to get lit are going to do so anyway) I say sell it responsibly (5 beer max with no sales after the end of the third quarter, etc...).

How about getting better to compete with those teams instead of complaining about the divisions n the big ten.

Reactions: bang63
How about getting better to compete with those teams instead of complaining about the divisions n the big ten.

I think the point of the discussion is a little bit of the chicken and the egg theory. Often times having a large crowd backing your team can assist you towards competing better with those teams. There is also no doubt that a transformation of the divisions would be a large step in the right direction. Even if it only improves our odds by a small percentage. All of it adds up. Every PU fan I notified of the possible breakup of divisions was quick to get defensive about it and called that move stupid. There's a reason why.

-Install 60” (or larger) TVs at concession stands and around the under stands areas. (I have a bigger TV in my kitchen than what is used in MS.)
-Price tickets like a program that has 30,000 - 40,000 people at games and an inventory of 15,000 unsold tickets.
-Establish standards for tailgaters that do not take up multiple spots or block traffic.
-Get rid of much of the neon advertising in the stadium and sell tickets instead to earn that revenue.
-For God’s sake, don’t run out of popcorn at halftime. (Or other concessions like cold bottled water on hot days)

A lot of good suggestions here. I don’t mind the ads as I know they are generating revenue for my program as I don’t mind my VC contribution.

I thought the traffic control was pretty good this year. I was able to get in and out of the stadium parking as well as I ever have. It was pretty ridiculous however when they announce a parking lot sell out and more than half the spaces end up empty which happened more than once.

I don’t spend much game time under the stands but I thought Fish was broadcast down there?

I love the idea of tiered pricing for the upper level and end zone seats.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
I think using crimson bleachers if ever we were to replace them would help offset the look of empty seats a bit.

I think the tiered pricing model could work. The issue might be fans know it won't be a sell out so they will buy the cheap seats up first and then just move down and leave the more expensive tickets to the crowd we are trying to get into the game. That would equate to the same attendance and less revenue but I think it's worth a shot.

We can pull our moral card out for alcohol sales but each year we refuse to go down that path, the other schools are gaining a decided financial advantage over us. If the goal in not going that route is because the thought is it will bring in more attendance than let's see results. If not, we are wasting our time raising our fist to offering this. Not to mention, this could offset any possible losses we would get with the tier ticketing system.

1. Jim Delaney stepping down.

That would help. I hate that prick.

I ask this sincerely, what do you hate about him?

I agree the divisions in football have been a bit wonky (leaders vs legends name and the talent division in east vs west) but other than that, he has us always on the forefront. The B1G Network was questioned but has given the Big Ten a major financial advantage over every other conference. Each year we are adding to our gross profit and those numbers are starting to allow the teams like IU, into top 50 type programs. No longer are we on par with the MAC teams and that is all due to the BTN money that has made it was way into our investments (facilities and coaches). Make no mistake about it.

you're hired

Reactions: mk23 and YOTHN
I think the point of the discussion is a little bit of the chicken and the egg theory. Often times having a large crowd backing your team can assist you towards competing better with those teams. There is also no doubt that a transformation of the divisions would be a large step in the right direction. Even if it only improves our odds by a small percentage. All of it adds up. Every PU fan I notified of the possible breakup of divisions was quick to get defensive about it and called that move stupid. There's a reason why.
The chief reason is because they consider, as most other people do, those 4 games to be Automatic losses on IU's record EVERY YEAR. To break apart the divisions would potentially give IU a head of steam, that should scare Purdue.

The second reason they want to maintain these lopsided divisions is because it gives Purdue the best chance at a path to the Big Ten Championship game in Indy.

If somebody could convince me that Indiana could build their program to the point where we have a LEGITIMATE CHANCE of beating Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State and Michigan State on a semi-regular basis, I'd be more inclined to stick with these crazy divisions. As it stands, I don't think that is the case and possibly never will be the case.

It takes one hell of a coach to beat those teams. Alvarez, Ferentz, Frye, Mallory are a few Big Ten coaches who beat those teams here and there. Guess what, they're ALL fine coaches.

The chief reason is because they consider, as most other people do, those 4 games to be Automatic losses on IU's record EVERY YEAR. To break apart the divisions would potentially give IU a head of steam, that should scare Purdue.

The second reason they want to maintain these lopsided divisions is because it gives Purdue the best chance at a path to the Big Ten Championship game in Indy.

If somebody could convince me that Indiana could build their program to the point where we have a LEGITIMATE CHANCE of beating Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State and Michigan State on a semi-regular basis, I'd be more inclined to stick with these crazy divisions. As it stands, I don't think that is the case and possibly never will be the case.

It takes one hell of a coach to beat those teams. Alvarez, Ferentz, Frye, Mallory are a few Big Ten coaches who beat those teams here and there. Guess what, they're ALL fine coaches.

I'd be ok with just a tweak: such as moving m$u to the West and IL to the East. Neither school would go for it though so while it's a common sense patch is most likely a non-starter. That..., plus, no one outside of this board and our Football offices cares whether INDIANA gets a level playing field or not, in fact in nearly all cases I believe the rest of the Big Ten would prefer "not"...

Lets say they switched UM and UW and MSU with Iowa do you think that would change that much for IU because most years those games would still be losses. Why do you think the big ten should just change everything just to make it easier for IU. I wonder if Rutgers and Maryland fan bases whine about this like some of our fellow IU fans do.

I'd be ok with just a tweak: such as moving m$u to the West and IL to the East. Neither school would go for it though so while it's a common sense patch is most likely a non-starter.
Why would MSU be against it? If it makes their conference schedule easier, what would be the objection?

Do you REALLY believe anyone outside of the Lafayette area gives two sh*ts about PU football or IU football?

Man, that theory is OUT there unless you can back it up with any type of proof.

Do you REALLY believe anyone outside of the Lafayette area gives two sh*ts about PU football or IU football?

Man, that theory is OUT there unless you can back it up with any type of proof.

His comment was about Purdue not wanting any realignment.

Reactions: YOTHN
A lot of good suggestions here. I don’t mind the ads as I know they are generating revenue for my program as I don’t mind my VC contribution.

I thought the traffic control was pretty good this year. I was able to get in and out of the stadium parking as well as I ever have. It was pretty ridiculous however when they announce a parking lot sell out and more than half the spaces end up empty which happened more than once.

I don’t spend much game time under the stands but I thought Fish was broadcast down there?

I love the idea of tiered pricing for the upper level and end zone seats.
If you listen carefully near the speakers you can tell what’s happening on the field.

In other stadiums you can hear the radio broadcast anywhere you go, even in the restrooms.

In years past I was adamantly against it but given the realities (those who are on a mission to get lit are going to do so anyway) I say sell it responsibly (5 beer max with no sales after the end of the third quarter, etc...).
Make the product a local brew to promote the local economy. And, yes. Responsibly.

IU athletic department will take in over one hundred million dollars this year, thanks primarily to TV revenue.
Think about that a minute and tell me why I need to be subjected to so many blasted ads and so little useful information when I sit in my overpriced seats at football games?
How much money is enough?

Oh, I really like the ideas proposed above. Tiered pricing would result in more people at the games and more excitement. The way it's being done now simply isn't working. Too easy to stay home for all but folks with lots of loyalty and money.

No changes to the scheduling format would be intended to help Indiana or would even accidentally help Indiana. It’s a pipe dream to think they would.
Glass would not like losing the OSU & Michigan games.

I think there are some good ideas throughout this thread. Gotta be honest, though; I don't need to be entertained during the moments between plays. I am there to watch a football game. The other stuff is irrelevant to me.

Make the ticket prices right for IU fans.

Put the opposing team fans in the highest rows of sections 111 & 112 (away from their locker room and up high enough you can't hear them). Make them pay $70 per ticket.

Shorten halftime to 12 - 15 minutes.

Stay the entire game.

Win the game!

A change in ticket pricing is a "must". IU has one of the finest business schools in the world. Bet they could figure it out.
I would bet FG has never consulted the Kelley School on
anything. More likely a frequent visitor to the Drama Dept.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT